Profile for B. McNally > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 33

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

B. McNally RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Grounded: The Making of The Last of Us [HD]
Grounded: The Making of The Last of Us [HD]
DVD
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, June 3, 2014
This documentary does an excellent job going behind the scenes of The Last of Us to show how much goes into making a game of this magnitude. Great for fans of the game as well as fans of games in general.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, July 9, 2013
This little helicopter is great. It is a lot of fun to fly, very easy to control, charges quickly, and is super stable. It's been in a few wrecks and came out virtually unscathed.

ExpertPower® 12v 1500mAh NiCd Battery for Dewalt DW9072 DW9071 DC9071 DE9037 DE9071 DE9072 DE9074 DE9075 152250-27 397745-01
Offered by ExpertPower
Price: $16.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Works wonderfully., July 9, 2013
Great battery. Better performance than the original. Shipping was really fast. I would definitely buy again. This is a great value considering the cost of a branded replacement.

The Godfather Collection (The Coppola Restoration) [Blu-ray]
The Godfather Collection (The Coppola Restoration) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Marlon Brando
Offered by Warehouse Deals 4 Less
Price: $25.44
124 used & new from $17.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Collection!, February 20, 2013
I was never able to find all three movies on TV to watch them all the way though. This collection was perfect for that. I took a weekend and watched all three films. Loved them all.

Etón NFR160WXR Microlink Self-Powered AM/FM/NOAA Weather Radio with Flashlight, Solar Power and Cell Phone Charger (Red)
8 used & new from $23.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great so far., February 20, 2013
So far so good. I haven't had any issues with this radio. It does everything it says it does. I did NOT use it to charge my phone though and have no plans to use it for that.

Pet Sematary
Pet Sematary
Price: $1.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool song, October 24, 2012
This review is from: Pet Sematary (MP3 Music)
This is a very catchy song to go along with a great movie. I really thought the song worked well and plain white T's is great for this kind of music.

Celestial Seasonings Black Tea Unsweetened Perfect Iced Tea, K-Cup Portion Pack for Keurig K-Cup Brewers, 24-Count
Price: $16.45
4 used & new from $16.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Simple Black Iced Tea, September 4, 2012
This is great if you want to brew your iced tea by the glass and add any extras in your own portions. I like being able to control the amount of sweetner and add my own lemon to my tea. Brewing this on the 6oz setting works great as long as you stir it up really good in a glass full of ice. Otherwise it comes out a little strong.

Celestial Seasonings Half and Half Perfect Iced Tea, K-Cup Portion Pack for Keurig K-Cup Brewers, 22-Count
Price: $14.41
11 used & new from $14.41

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Combo., September 4, 2012
I like my tea with lemon and I also regularly mix iced tea and lemonade so this just made sense for me to buy. It's very good and has a good balance of tea and lemon.

Logitech Wireless Anywhere Mouse MX
Logitech Wireless Anywhere Mouse MX
Offered by IGEX Direct
Price: $41.47
17 used & new from $36.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, June 22, 2012
This is the second Anywhere MX I have purchased. I already had one for my laptop and decided to pick another one up for my desktop after loving the first one so much. Very quick response. Accuracy is very good. Works on every surface I have tried it on so far. No issues. I would recommend this mouse to anyone that needs a larger travel mouse or doesn't mind a slightly smaller desktop mouse. It's the perfect size for me.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Playstation 3
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Playstation 3
Price: $15.83
93 used & new from $8.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Reckoning Rocks!, February 15, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Disclaimer: I'm not going to compare this game with any other game as I believe the game you are playing is what you should review, not reviewing based on other games. I review games on their own merits not what other games have done.

KOA: Reckoning was not always on my radar. In fact it really only popped up about 3 weeks before release. I'm not a giant RPG fan so I wasn't following this game at all. Long gone are the days that I can sit for hours on end playing video games (I'm married). I happened to see a piece on it in a Qore episode and it's at that point that it came to me that this might be something I'd be interested in. An RPG that has combat similar to God of War? WHHAAAAT? I was definitely interested when I heard that.

I started scouring the web looking for info on this game. I checked out the official site, IGN, GameStop, 1up, etc. to try to find out what was up with this "action" RPG. As I read more I decided this looked like something I would enjoy and also something that would keep me busy for quite some time considering how limited my free time is. I ended up preordering to get some of the goodies and eagerly waited for launch day.

I picked the game up on launch day and have been playing ever since. I'm about 20 hours in playing as a Sorcery/Finesse hybrid. Here are my impressions so far:

Graphics:
After all the post-apocalyptic shooters and "realistic" RPGS (think Rage, COD/Battlefield, Borderlands, Skyrim and DragonAge) to come out recently, I was very pleased to see a game with an art-style as vibrant and colorful as Reckoning is. No dig on those other games, just pointing out the contrast. The environments I found to be very beautiful and felt magical in a way, or whimsical. This was not fully reflected though in the character models. Your character looks plenty good running around the world but once you get into conversation and cut scenes, the NPCs don't have the level of detail or facial expressions that one would expect in this day and age. Did this hinder my experience? It did slightly.

Combat:
I found combat to be one of the best parts of this game and that's a good thing since there is A LOT of combat. The simple one button attacks coupled with the fact that because of that you can unleash your primary, secondary, and abilities (magic) all in the same battle on the fly makes for a very, very, enjoyable experience. The animations are awesome. Stave animations and faeblade animations are second only to stealth kill animations with daggers and fateshifting kills. I have only played a small amount with swords and hammers but I can't imagine those would be any less satisfying.

Crafting:

You can use the Blacksmithing skill to take apart weapons for parts and make better weapons. You can use the Alchemy skill to create potions that give you health, manna, resistance to elements, or increase effectiveness of powers or weapons. You can use Sagecraft to combine gems found in the world to add perks to weapons, armor, or general utility slots. I found Alchemy the most valuable so far. Blacksmithing and Sagecraft have their place but potions are my best friend at this point. I think this system works well. The organization of all of these things can be cumbersome at times in the inventory screens though.

Story:
Just about any RPG uses a similar formula: You are the protagonist and your job is either to kill someone, save someone, save something, or become the most powerful. This game doesn't shy that far away from that formula. What makes in interesting is the 10,000 years of lore that serves as the foundation of the world of Amalur. To put it simply, there is a better chance than not that the lore in this world is going to be TOO much. There is SO MUCH dialog spoken that it is easy to get lost. On the plus side, there is always something to learn about the world. On the minus side, things can start to get confusing and after doing side quests for hours it takes some real memory power to remember what the main quest objective was and what this was all about.Does this mean the side quests are just that interesting or the main quest not very interesting? Well in my opinion it's the former. I think the main quest has been great so far but the side and faction quests are so much fun, I find myself wanting to do them all the time! Voice acting in dialog is very good in my opinion but the lip-syncing sometimes leaves a lot to be desired. The level of "sync" varied greatly during conversations with NPCs up to this point.

Choices:
There are times that you are asked to make choices in dialog. The choices that you make will change the response you get from the NPCs but doesn't ever totally lock you out of a story line or quest. I particularly like this because I like to vary my responses and it's good to know that I'm not going to "screw the whole thing up" if I pick the wrong answer.

Camera:
Yes, I made a section just for the camera. Here's the deal. The camera is fine about 85% of the time. For the most part the camera is controlled by you so as long as you keep that in mind, you can normally keep it where it best suits you most of the time. It gets in the way sometimes when you are in the midst of a battle and not really paying attention to which way you dodge. I haven't been hampered by it much, but I wanted to mention it. The other camera issue comes in when the game takes control during a dialog sequence. I have found that some of the camera angles used either are partially blocked by the environment or totally blocked because I have a giant piece of foliage or wall behind me and that's the angle the game decided to use. Again, it hasn't been a deal breaker, just an occasional annoyance.

Closing comments:
Pros:
Combat is a lot of fun.
Weapons are varied greatly
Animations for kills and maneuvers are top notch.
The world is vast, open, and beautifully crafted.
The story is very deep and involved. I find it familiar but unique at the same time.
Leveling your character feels rewarding and new abilities and skills are a lot of fun to implement.
Sagecrafting, Alchemy, and Blacksmithing add some variety to your style or strategy as you will.
Character creation is in that perfect place where it feels like you have enough to make a unique character but doesn't get overwhelmed by too many choices.
Choices in behavior add variety to the story and dialog but do not affect the overall outcome of a quest or story line.

Cons:
Character models could use some polish.
Lip-syncing varies from good to looking like the characters are speaking another language with an English dub and subtitles.
Story can be overwhelming at times and lose focus.
The story isn't anything that hasn't been told in some variety before.
Automatic camera angles in dialog and not appropriately handling the manual camera during combat can be an annoyance and could cause damage in battle.
Inventory menu is pretty clean for the most part but things can get complicated when you start adding gems, potions, and weapon/armor parts to the mix.

The bottom line for me is that I am having a lot of fun playing this game. The cons that I mention above do detract from the overall score of the game but have never been enough to overtake the fun that I am having traveling around Amalur, fighting everything that I see, and learning more about the world. It may or may not be your thing but I am enjoying it!

Overall: 4 out of 5 stars.
Fun: 5 out of 5 - It's A LOT of fun!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4