Profile for Manny Hernandez > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1568

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Manny Hernandez "@askmanny" RSS Feed (Berkeley, CA)
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Trackers: How technology is helping us
monitor and improve our health
Trackers: How technology is helping us monitor and improve our health
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A chronicle of the apps and platforms behind the Quantified Self movement, December 15, 2014
I have had the fortune of knowing Rick for a few years. He is a former blogger turned publisher, who managed to combine his passion for technology with health when he got diagnosed with diabetes. His book 'Trackers' chronicles the key apps and platforms that lie at the heart of the quantified self movement, through engaging conversations with many of the pioneers that brought it to life. It is an engaging read that will expose you to multiple aspects underlying a wave that will very soon take over (read Apple iWatch) the way we deal with health in our lives.

iHealth BP5 Wireless Blood Pressure Monitor for iPhone and Android
iHealth BP5 Wireless Blood Pressure Monitor for iPhone and Android
Price: $86.40
8 used & new from $85.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Convenient Bluetooth option for quantified sellers and anyone needing to keep an eye on blood pressure, November 29, 2014
Being able check my blood pressure regularly matters as someone living with diabetes. But this device makes it extra convenient to do it, without chords and cables, to capture my BP data on my iPhone, where I am increasingly consolidating my Health and Wellness data in one place for single view. It was supremely easy to set up and then it was a breeze to sync the iHealth data back to Apple's Health dashboard.

Evernote: The unofficial guide to capturing everything and getting things done. 2nd Edition
Price: $5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great approach but some content is already dated, October 2, 2014
I am fully bought into the use of Evernote as a platform to help implement GTD.
So when I saw this title I jumped on it. I learned quite a few things (for example the concept of Master Notes and linking to other notes). But there are too a few outdated items that are no longer relevant since Evernote started offering reminders (for instance).

All in all, a great reference but you will find some things are now easier to do than the book would imply.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 2, 2015 7:54 AM PST

Xara International Series Mexico Short Sleeve Jersey, Adult Extra Large
Xara International Series Mexico Short Sleeve Jersey, Adult Extra Large
Offered by BIGFLYSPORTS
Price: $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Affordable quality to showcase your soccer loyalty!, August 6, 2014
Granted that the World Cup is over, but I will sure be wearing this Mexico team soccer tee for years to come! Great quality, great fit, breathable. What more can you ask for? Ah! Great price, when you compare it with the ADIDAS and NIKE brand items. Why pay more? These guys did a beautiful job and don't charge an arm and a leg.

OtterBox Defender Series iPhone 5/5S Case, Frustration Free Packaging, Black
OtterBox Defender Series iPhone 5/5S Case, Frustration Free Packaging, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars The iPhone case made for iPhone destroyers!, August 6, 2014
I am embarrassed to admit it. I have broken so many iPhone screens... until I got an OtterBox. I had one for my iPhone 4S (which preserved the phone from further destruction), so when I upgraded to the 5S, it was only natural that I'd get the corresponding OtterBox. I have only praise for this thing... Sure: it's not pretty, I give you that. But it will withstand all the falls and abuse you subject your iPhone too. And THAT'S where it excels. It is made for people who, like myself, are iPhone destroyers.

E LV LG Optimus L 90 L90 Dual Layer (Silicon inside and Hard Plactic outside) Armor Shell Holster Case with Kickstand and Belt Swivel Clip with 1 Stylus and 1 Cleaning Cloth
Offered by Turn On Tech

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than a damage protection program, July 7, 2014
We got this case for my son's first ever smartphone. Judging from the amount of falls the case has protected the phone from damage, I think we will never have to use the damage protection program for the phone we got from Target.

Mockingjay (Hunger Games Trilogy, Book 3)
Mockingjay (Hunger Games Trilogy, Book 3)
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An extraordinary end to an extraordinary story, April 6, 2014
Suzanne Collins' writing kept me engaged throughout the entire book,with nearly every chapter ending in a cliffhanger that left you wanting more!

Only the thought of the story with such powerful characters being over leaves me saddened. I am left with a renewed appreciation for the absurdity of wars and how humankind finds a way to justify the unjustifiable time and again.

Balancing Diabetes: Conversations About Finding Happiness and Living Well
Balancing Diabetes: Conversations About Finding Happiness and Living Well
by Kerri Sparling
Price: $13.07
64 used & new from $8.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Diabetes balance: "life with diabetes isn't about the diabetes itself...", February 26, 2014
** Full disclosure (and something I am very proud of): I am a good friend of Kerri... Having said that, every last word I am about to share with you about her book is nothing but the truth, the whole truth, so help me God! ;)

If you haven't read SixUntilMe.com and you or a loved one live with diabetes, you should... because it will provide you with a window into the soul of one of the kindest and most fun humans with diabetes you are going to run into: Kerri Sparling. So, when I heard about her book, and when she kindly interviewed me as part of one of the chapters, I was beyond ecstatic!

In "Balancing Diabetes", Kerri’s voice and personality shine through loud and clear. Chapter after chapter, she continues to open up her story to us, inviting many of her d-friends along, in a book that feels more like a warm and candid chat between buddies than a paperback title. Her selflessness also is central to the book: she always gives and and seeks to shine the spotlight on others. The net effect is a book that empowers you with tons more information than an individual experience: it feels as if a whole tribe (the DOC - Diabetes Online Community) is joining in on this one through the experience of dozens of people with diabetes.

Then again, it's not only about the content that Kerri exposes us to, but about her style... she is an extremely accomplished writer (and I don't say this because she kicked my butt as my editor during the years I wrote for dLife)! The imagery she employs, her impeccable and brilliant use of humor (example, how she portrays wearing an insulin pump as "cyborg badassery" - p. 112)... all of it makes for a delighting and highly entertaining book, aside from the fact that you are absorbing tons of precious insights from her and many others who add up a good few hundred collective years of life with diabetes.

Unlike Kerri, I was diagnosed with diabetes as an adult, but reading her book as a parent (though I am the one with diabetes and not my child), her mom's stories about Kerri's diabetes touched me deeply. For example, when she says "you don't punish for diabetes, you punish for irresponsibility. Diabetes just happens to be an example of something to be irresponsible with." A participar chapter that rocked for me as well was "Walking the Bloodsugar Tightrope". In it she captures amazing insights from Dr. Shara Bialo (pediatric endocrinologist with type 1 diabetes) and Dr. Jill Weissberg-Benchell, one of the world's most amazing psychologists as it relates to diabetes.

She brings it all home in the final chapter... one that I anticipate giving you goosebumps. If it doesn't, well... you may want to check the endocrine gland in charge of goosebumps! ;)

Reading her book I rediscovered why I admire her so much. Like her I too have found diabetes to give me a reason to stand up for myself and others. Thanks Kerri for reminding us that diabetes doesn't define us but it helps understand us!

The Complete Diabetes Organizer: Your Guide to a Less Stressful and More Manageable Diabetes Life
by Susan Weiner
Edition: Spiral-bound
Price: $17.51
42 used & new from $7.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Less stress with diabetes through organizing your life with help from Susan and Leslie, February 2, 2014
Susan and Leslie, a recognized certified diabetes educator and an authority on helping people become organized, combine their respective powerful strengths into a must-read title for people with diabetes: one that focuses not on WHAT things to do when you live with diabetes, but on HOW to fit them into your busy lifestyle, how to make them work. From the second you wake up, to getting ready to get out of the house, being at work, and getting to the end the day, each moment in your diabetes day has a chapter devoted to it.

Each chapter is chock full of ideas about projects and ideas to help you organize your life to make room for the things that diabetes brings to it, and lists of mobile iPhone and Android apps relevant to each topic. From ideas on how to best store, plan for, and label things, every chapter is a treasure chest to help your blood sugars through lessened stress and better diabetes management.

All through the book, sidebars from people you know (and if you don’t know them, you should) that live with diabetes and have an organized diabetes life accompany the topics at hand. For example, on the sidebar in page 127, AADE's 2013 certified diabetes educator of the year (and type 1 diabetes patient), Gary Scheiner talks about the most important BG testing in the entire day: at nighttime, to ensure most any low or high blood sugars before bedtime don't go unattended.

The book closes with a phenomenal Diabetes Travel Guide chapter. I highly recommend this title: there's lots you can learn in "The Complete Diabetes Organizer" regardless of how long you have had diabetes.

How to Protect Your Family's Assets from Devastating Nursing Home Costs: Medicaid Secrets (2013 edition)
Price: $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you, Mr. Heiser!, September 2, 2013
You may have just saved our lived. The techniques you share in your book are a must-read for anyone with parents approaching retirement age or already retired parents, when nursing home is a part of the equation.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20