Profile for Dave > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 551

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dave RSS Feed (Portland)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Fisher-Price Rainforest Friends Comfort Curve Bouncer
Fisher-Price Rainforest Friends Comfort Curve Bouncer
3 used & new from $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bouncer for the money but consider other options, July 8, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
With four kids we've gone through a lot of bouncers. In our experience not of them are perfect, but most of them function well enough. This bouncer continues that tradition. On the plus side it's light, easy to move around, and it's not much trouble to take the cover off and wash it. Most importantly it vibrates. In our experience all babies love a rumbly chair. It's a great way to sooth a fussy baby. If they have a cold it's great place for them to nap. The battery life on this has been pretty good so far. They claim 90 hours. I've just left it running to see and we've clock about 50 hours.

On the other hand I've never been a fan of toys on infant chairs - they just seem to agitate them. On the other hand they are handy after about the first year. The weight limit on this is 25lbs, so that may not get you very far. Overall for the price this is a good quality bouncer. However check out this alternative: Fisher-Price Infant-to-Toddler Rocker. It goes up to 40lbs and all my kids loved it. It definitely goes through batteries faster but I think it's an overall better chair as long as you can handle the extra battery cost (which will add up over time).

Fisher-Price Comfort Curve Bouncer, Woodland Friends
Fisher-Price Comfort Curve Bouncer, Woodland Friends
5 used & new from $39.99

Fisher-Price Woodland Friends Cradle 'n Swing
Fisher-Price Woodland Friends Cradle 'n Swing
Price: $139.99
2 used & new from $139.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite swing type - however consider which model works best for you, June 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We have four kids, so we've gone through a lot of swings over the years. We occasionally use the swing to entertain a baby so we can cook, clean or grab a shower. More often we use these for the "mid-day nap" and nights where the baby has a cold (the seat keeps them upright which can help prevent ear infections, minimize post-nasal drip and the swinging motion can help settle them if a cough wakes them up). For this, I've found that these large Fisher-Price makes are the best swings. They are the most comfortable and they last for years. This swing has undergone some updates from the last one we had. The controls are modestly improved and the locking stabilizer bar has been replaced with rear-stands on each leg. This particular model has a tray which I don’t care for. I tend to use swings for naps, and the tray doesn’t really help there. However if you mostly wanted this as a play option for an awake baby (say while you cook or take a shower) then the tray is an asset.

Let me tell you about the things that matter when it comes to baby naps in these swings:
1. You can plug it in so you don't have issues with batteries failing in the middle of nap time.
2. It's soft and comfortable.
3. It swings from side-to-side.
4. It's safe.

Let me tell you what doesn't matter:
1. It plays music and has other sound options (they don't help - get a nice CD of waves or rain instead).
2. It has toys for babies to look at (I just take them off. I find they agitate little babies and distract older ones).
3. What the "theme" is: babies don't care.

Because this model has a that tray it has hard pieces of plastic on the side of the swing. These toys are fine for an awake baby, but for naps it's a distraction and the hard plastic piece that holds it in place makes it hard to tap the swing on the side. Tapping on the side of the swing rhythmically is a *great* way to put a wired baby to sleep (you can even just hold your hand so that the swing lightly bumps it). That very soft "jolt" provided by your hand sooths a baby the same way that bouncing them does. So I don't want a piece of plastic there, I want padding which is more comfortable for me to tap. This might seem trivial, until that day when you are exhausted, and all you want in the entire universe is for your baby to take a nap. Fisher Price still makes swings without the tray if that’s your preference. It really depends on what you want to use it for.

I really like that this version doesn't have the old "dial" for setting the swing speed. Those were a little noisy to turn and could wake a napping baby. When you are sleep deprived yourself, anything that helps a baby sleep is gold. So get this model (or one like it, Fisher Price makes a bunch of them) instead, which has nice quiet buttons.

Other things I like: the covers come off fairly easily and you can machine wash them (note that the swings with the netting in back add a minor amount of hassle to washing - you will need to use a very gentle cycle). The cord is well routed: your baby won't be able to grab it and even if they did, the exposed cord is short and has a quick disconnect that can help prevent accidental choking. They are reasonably portable: the legs can fold together so it will fit through doors. Once you get it to your new location it snaps easily into place. It's a little awkward to move but it's not heavy.

Make sure you shop around the different models Fisher-Price has out: these swings change very little if at all over time. Mostly they just change the theme, so you can save money by buying last season's model. They also sometimes charge more for a more popular theme. Remember: the baby doesn't care.

Overall these are the best swings on the market, and I highly recommend having one, just carefully consider how you plan to use it and buy the model that fits your needs best.

Summer Infant Sharp Sight High Definition Video Baby Monitor
Summer Infant Sharp Sight High Definition Video Baby Monitor
Price: $269.99
10 used & new from $185.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch camera though a bit pricey, June 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I figured it would happen one day: somebody finally unseated the Motorola MBP36 line of baby monitors as "the best" in my book. Now that was "the best" of a weak group of competitors so take that into account. For some reason companies spend a lot of money on features parents don't really need. You do not need your baby monitor to play music. Most people do not actually want it to use Wi-Fi (for security and reliability reasons). You do not need a phone or tablet app. You just need a decent camera, clear sound, day and night vision, and the room temperature. Two-way talk seems handy but after four kids I've never needed to use it.

This camera beats the Motorola simply because the picture clarity is better. The Motorola was "good" but this Summer much clearer, especially during the day. I also like that the video can turn on automatically when noise is detected. This is especially handy when it's on battery mode or when your trying to sleep as well. Being able to add extra cameras is also handy if the baby naps someplace other than their crib (mine often napped in a swing).

Probably the main negative over the Motorola is the price. This is better, but only just. And Summer is charging nearly $100 more. If you are on a budget I think the Motorola MBP36 is still a good choice, and it's been around forever so it's got a long-term track record. If the cost doesn't bother you, this is a better choice.

Shark Rocket Corded Hand Vac (HV292)
Shark Rocket Corded Hand Vac (HV292)
Price: $99.98
9 used & new from $99.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Great hand vac as long as you don't mind the cord, June 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a very powerful little hand-vac and it's great for cleaning up small areas that are hard to get to with a regular vacuum. I really like that it has a motorized brush for pet hair clean up. The cord is a blessing and a curse. Ideally we'd all like to have a cordless vac but that means compromising on power and battery life. Having a cord means more power for less price, and it's a reasonably long cord (for a hand vac) which is great for things like stairs. On the downside you've got a 15' cord to drag around.

It's bagless, relatively light weight, and has a decent set of tools. This is perfect for things like chairs, sofas, stairs, high-chairs, curtains, and cars. If you are willing to spend about $500 you can get a cordless Dyson almost as powerful that will run for 15 minutes. Depending on what you need it for and your budget, that might make sense. I think for most people this makes more practical sense. Yes you have to deal with a cord, but you save a ton of money and there are no batteries to replace.

Belkin Apple MFi-Certified 2.4 Amp MIXIT 4-Foot Premium Metallic Lightning to USB ChargeSync Cable for iPhone 6 / 6 Plus, iPhone 5 / 5S / 5c, iPod touch 5th Gen and iPod nano 7th Gen (Gray)
Price: $24.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality cable, but not everyone needs it, June 21, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great looking cable and the quality seems really first rate. It ought to for the price! Why would you spend so much on a cable? Frankly for most people, this probably doesn't make sense. I gave it a Five star rating for the quality, but for value it's a Three Star. For much less you can get a decent cable, and for most people that's the best use of your money (if your cable stays pretty much in one place for example). However if you travel a lot, or otherwise abuse your cable, this might make sense. This is going to stand up where other cables fail. Or if $30 (the current price) just isn't a lot of money to you, you'd might as well by the best quality cable. For most people a much cheaper cable makes more sense.

Belkin MIXIT Car Charger with Lightning Cable for iPhone 6 / 6 Plus, 5 / 5S / 5c, iPad 4th Gen, iPad mini, iPod touch 5th Gen, and iPod nano 7th Gen (2.1 Amp / 10 Watt) - White
Price: $34.29
3 used & new from $14.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Working great for me, June 21, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was a little nervous trying this out because I see a lot of negative reviews. That tells me the quality is probably spotty. However in my (short) experience with this cable I don't have any complaints. The cable seems durable. I've only had it a few days but I haven't treated it gently and it's going strong. It's charging my iPhone 6 and my wife's 6 plus like a champ. The length is good for a larger car or mini-van. For a smaller car it might be a bit long. I've also swapped the Lightening cable with my Kindle (micro usb) cable and it charged my Kindle without any trouble. For the price it seem like a reasonable deal. Because Belkin is a well known brand, watch out for counterfeits - that may account for the people getting faulty products. I stick to big reputable vendors when buying Belkin which seems to help.

Belkin Apple MFi Certified Lightning to USB ChargeSync Cable for iPhone 6 / 6 Plus, iPhone 5 / 5S / 5c, iPad 4th Gen, iPad Air 2, iPad Air, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 2 and iPad mini, 4 Feet (Red)
Price: Click here to see our price

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cable, but watch out for knock-offs, June 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I see a lot of complaints here about crappy cables. Let me tell you, be careful ordering a cable, even a name-brand, from some no-name seller. There are just too many counterfeits out there. If you want to save some money look for Amazon branded cables. This Belkin cable (assuming you order from a reputable vendor and got the real deal) is a solid, well made cable. I'm an engineer and I've made my fair share of cables (granted far easier stuff like RS-422) and the quality of this cable is really good. I've tried it out on a couple of iPhones without any problem. Overall a great cable. It's a bit pricey and if you shop around carefully you can find something cheaper and still well made. However if you want to make sure you get a good cable it's worth the price. Just make sure you order it from Amazon or another reputable vendor. Otherwise you'd might as well order a cheap $5 no-name brand.

Zillionz Talking Cash Register - Blue
Zillionz Talking Cash Register - Blue
11 used & new from $21.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pretend play toy, June 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have four kids aged 3-9 and probably the one game that all ages can play together is store/restaurant. We have a small Step2 “Kids Kitchen” and we put this register on a stand next to that. They were already working up fake menus and pretend money, and now they have this to put it all in. It was an instant hit.

The register itself has an “okay” build quality. I think the quality is fair for the price. So far it’s handled a fair share of abuse with no problems. My kids have had a great time integrating it into their pretend play. Aside from being just “fun” I think there’s a lot of learning value to having it. This sort of thing really helps kids grasp how stores and money works. It’s the sort of thing that’s tricky to explain but really sinks in when the role play it. The scanner is a bit hokey, but we put some of the scan sticker on some old cereal and pasta boxes and the kids have just run with it. The important thing is that they get a satisfying “beep” when they scan stuff. That sort of thing is important to kids. I don’t know if the scan comes up correctly and it doesn’t really matter, their imaginations fill in the rest.

So I’m not sure it’s the sturdiest toy in the world, but I think there is real value in having it, especially if you have a small group of siblings/cousins/friends who can play together. A much better investment than say a video game.

KIND Healthy Grains Granola Bars, Popped Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt, 1.2oz bars, 15 Count
Price: $8.94
2 used & new from $8.94

2.0 out of 5 stars Very bland, June 12, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm a big fan of the Kind Fruit and Nut bars, and I think their granola bars are okay. This bar however was very disappointing. It wasn't terrible, but it was very plain. Even when you get a bit with some chocolate, it's just not enough flavor to make much of an impression. So unless you are looking for something very bland I would pass this up and go for something else.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20