Profile for Dave > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 501

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dave RSS Feed (Portland)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
PNY 2-in-1 Micro-USB and Apple Lightning Charge and Sync Cable (C-UA-UULN-W01-01)
Offered by JM PRIME
Price: $17.23
8 used & new from $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very handy cable - note that it's a short cable., June 2, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Our house has it's fair share of Kindles and iPhones and we have a collection of cables for the lot of them. I wish they could establish a single cable standard, but since that seems to be beyond them, I'll settle for more cables like this that support both. I've used this cable for both my iPhones and Kindles and for this somewhat random HP tablet we got from somewhere. It did the job for all of them without any trouble. We've now moved this out to the car where we mostly need it as a phone charger but occasionally we have a kindle in need of charging. The cable is a tad over 6 inches, so don't order this is your charger isn't close to what you need to charge. Personally I hate having long calbes when I don't need them, so I like having short cables to reduce the clutter.

Contigo Autospout Squeeze Kids Water Bottle, 18-Ounce, Oxford Blue
Contigo Autospout Squeeze Kids Water Bottle, 18-Ounce, Oxford Blue
Price: $10.20
3 used & new from $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for school-aged kids but it feels a little over priced, May 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a decent water bottle but it's a tad overpriced. It's a squeeze bottle, which means it has a spout but no internal straw. Toddlers would have trouble with it but most kids first grade and up should be able to use it thought I'd say it's best for 3rd and up. So while there nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't feel like it should cost the $8 it does as I write this. If the price drops down to $3-5 I'd say it was a better value.

DII 100% Cotton, Machine Washable  Heavy Duty Canvas Reusable Shopping Tote Bag, Natural and Black Damask, Set of 3
DII 100% Cotton, Machine Washable Heavy Duty Canvas Reusable Shopping Tote Bag, Natural and Black Damask, Set of 3
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good quality, May 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a nice set of medium-sized bags. The fabric is heavy-weight canvas and the stitching is solid. The patterns and colors in this set (Danmask) aren't that interesting, but who really cares? They're just shopping bags. For the price you are getting bags that are a lot more rugged than the cheap thin bags you local supermarket is probably selling. Overall a very nice set of multi-use bags.

Burn
Burn
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw and honest rock and roll, May 20, 2015
This review is from: Burn (MP3 Music)
A friend first turned me on to Rocket 3 vocalist Ramune Nagisetty's debut album "Truth and Beauty" after he heard one of cuts on the radio and thought it was something I'd like. It had an honest, raw vibe that I really enjoyed, and it stayed on my regular playlist for a while. When I didn't see any follow on I kind of gave up and her CD eventually slid off my radar for a while until word she was fronting a new band came my way.

This CD does not disappoint. As much as I liked her solo work, I think this has a stronger energy. It has that honest "just out of the garage" sound that harkens back to a great tradition in Northwest rock (and I'm not just talking Grunge - think Kingsmen). While a little more polished than her solo album, it's still "honest rock-and-roll" that spares you any tricks and just delivers the goods.

Try out "Never Again" and "Catch Me" - I think those are good examples of their range and pretty accessible to first time listeners. And if you like this CD try out Truth and Beauty.

Linksys WRT AC1200 Dual-Band and Wi-Fi Wireless Router with Gigabit and USB 3.0 Ports and eSATA, Works with Linksys WRT1900AC Wi-Fi Router (WRT1200AC)
Offered by GizmosForLife
Price: $221.45
9 used & new from $141.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than my last Linksys, May 19, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got this Linksys WRT AC1200 Dual-Band and Wi-Fi Wireless Router to replace an older Linksys AC1900 router that I wasn’t happy with. I’m not looking for the highest performing router, just something reliable that doesn’t choke when I’m streaming a movie while somebody is online. The setup seemed pretty similar to what I recall doing for my AC1900. That’s mostly a good thing as I had no real complaints about the setup. Honestly most of the routers I’ve tried lately (Asus and Netgear) seem to have pretty decent setup wizards.

What’s different is my initial experience with this router has been really good. No drops, no reboots, no hassles (after 2-3 weeks of use). Compare that to my AC1900 that had to be rebooted daily for the first few months and problems came and went with different BIOS revs. I don’t use the phone apps so I can’t comment on that, but I have used the Web based remoter interface and the direct router interface and both are fine. If you are even remotely comfortable with “tweaking settings” you’ll have no trouble at all. If you hate that sort of thing you might need to borrow your local tech geek (everybody knows one), but it’s really fairly intuitive.

If you review the specs you’ll see there are better routers out there in terms of speed and multi-frequency support. If you’ve got a house full of 4+ heavy tech users you may want to consider some of the expensive multi-band routers from Linksys, Asus, and Netgear. However I think 90% of the people out there will be happy with this router, and in my experience staying away from leading edge tech is a good way to avoid technical headaches. I wouldn’t go much below this router, just because the feature set really drops off. However cost is a really big factor I’ve had good experiences setting up some of the lower-end Asus routers for people. Otherwise I think this is a great choice for the average user.

Samsung VU10H3021PR/AA VU3000 Lift and Clean Bagless Vacuum Cleaner, Red
Samsung VU10H3021PR/AA VU3000 Lift and Clean Bagless Vacuum Cleaner, Red
Price: $186.78

4.0 out of 5 stars As powerful as my (old) Dyson but doesn't feel as rugged, May 11, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For the past 10 years my go-to vacuum has been a Dyson DC28 Animal. It’s been the best vacuum I’ve ever owned. Technically it’s not as powerful as a previous Hoover Wind Tunnel, but unlike all the Hoover and Bissels I’ve owed, it’s lasted longer than the warranty. This Samsung costs less than pretty much any Dyson you can buy, so the question is how does it compare?

I did some objective testing on hardwood and carpet by spreading out some rice and some sandbox sand. I weighed out two equal amounts of both, spread them around, vacuumed, and then emptied and weighed the results. The difference between them was minor and in repeat tests the winner varied. That told me that “how” I vacuumed was probably a bigger variable than raw suction.

For usability I found that the old Dyson was heavier and harder to maneuver. This was an advantage in one case: when you are using the tools on the Samsung and stretch out the hose it’s easy to knock it over. The Dyson can be pulled over but it’s much harder. The lift-off feature was nice, though with the Dyson’s long hose I can achieve the same effect.

The Dyson feels and looks sturdier. The Samsung is lighter, but the plastic seems more fragile. I also found the Dyson much easier to empty, though both are a pain to clean out if it gets too full of dirt and dust. I also managed to jam up the Samsung roller with hair once. It was easy to clear, but it’s something I have to do to the Dyson once a year. Having it happen after a week of use with the Samsung was not inspiring.

In the end the Samsung is a much better value. For easily ˝ the price you get pretty much all the performance (granted the test was against a 10 year old Dyson and from what I’ve read the newer Dysons are more powerful than mine). Time will tell, but I don’t expect to get the same reliability. Ultimately I think that’s what you are buying with Dyson. If money is tight this Samsung is the smart buy. If your budget can handle it I’d certainly consider the Dyson and whether the brand reliability is worth the increased price.

Classic Brands 10.5-Inch Cool Gel Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress, Queen
Classic Brands 10.5-Inch Cool Gel Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress, Queen
Price: $393.44
2 used & new from $385.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Compares well to more expensive memory foam mattresses, May 5, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have two king sized memory foam mattresses in my house. One is a $2,000 iComfort Genius by Serta. The other is from $1000 Parklane mattress (a great local mattress company). I like both, though the Serta is perhaps slightly nicer than the Parklane. It’s not been “$1000 better”. I’ve checked out some of the “cheap” memory foam mattresses sold at places like Costco and just found them to be way too firm. I like a firm mattress, but I’m not interested in sleeping on a rock.

So my hopes were not too high for this mattress. I seemed unlikely that a mattress that sold for half the price of my cheapest memory foam mattress was going to compare. Surprisingly it does quite well. This mattress is firm, but with just enough give to be comfortable. Definitely not rock-hard like some cheap memory foams I’ve encountered. The fabric covering it looks nice. The stitching seems to be well done. I really can’t find anything wrong with it. And the price really can’t be beat. Time will tell if there are any other issues, but my first impression is really positive.

If you were looking to get a good deal on a mattress and “gently firm” appeals to you, I think this mattress is a great value.

KIND Healthy Indulgence Cube, 20 Count
KIND Healthy Indulgence Cube, 20 Count
Price: $23.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great "healthy-ish" snack, April 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It took me a while to decide to try out Kind bars. I’ve seen them in the store, and they look really good, but I’ve always been a bit turned off by the high fat and sugar content. Now I recognize that most of the fat is coming from nuts, and that’s mostly good fat, but Kind does add oils like sunflower and palm kernel oil to their products. Depending on the product the sugar comes from dried fruit, honey and good old plain sugar. About 14G of fat and 9G of sugar seems to be pretty typical from my quick survey.

I finally decided to try them out, and I can’t say I’m sorry. They taste great, and they’ve rapidly become my go-to snack food. I don’t kid myself: it’s a “health-ish dessert” but eating this is way better than hitting a bag of chips or having a donut.

Staring with a variety pack is the way to go. There are a lot of bars, and I’ve loved some and thought others were just okay. I’ve yet to find one I didn’t like. In this pack my favorite flavor is the Chocolate Cherry Cashew. My one complaint is that it is a “Kind Plus Antioxidants” which means they’ve added Vitamin A, C and E. If you are eating a healthy diet or taking a multivitamin, you don’t need any of those things, so I’d rather not have them added to a bar. For example people who get too much vitamin E have an increased chance of getting cancer (for reasons not well understood and possibly not directly related to the vitamin E). I’d rather just let the ingredients stand for themselves. Fortunately this is true of most Kind bars.

The bottom line is that they have some great tasting bars, and once you dial in which ones you like, you’ll have a pretty decent snack option. Their expensive, but if you use the Amazon subscribe and save service you can get the price down to a reasonable range. Definitely buying these one at a time in a store display is not a good value, but if you can get them for $1 or so per bar, I think it’s a reasonable price for what you are getting.

Zenna Home 2135AL, NeverRust Aluminum Tension Corner Caddy, Satin Chrome
Zenna Home 2135AL, NeverRust Aluminum Tension Corner Caddy, Satin Chrome
Price: $109.65

4.0 out of 5 stars Great way to create more space - Compares well to the Oxo caddy, April 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've used the Simple Human and Oxo shower caddies. Those are both decent, but neither is perfect. Our SimpleHuman is starting to rust (we've had it about two years), and we weren't able to get the Oxo to be as stable as the SimpleHuman. The Oxo hasn't rusted (yet) after a year of use.

My initial impressions of this Zenna shower caddy are positive. Using aluminum is a great idea - it won't rust and if it does build up a little oxide corrosion you aren't likely to notice. Aluminum is light weight, and a little flimsy. To some people this may seem "cheap" but the aluminum cost more than the cheap metal and plastic used by other brands. You aren't going to want to try and bend this, because it will bend. But since non of these shower caddies are meant to be hand holds, that shouldn't be an issue.

Assembly isn't hard but it did take a little longer than I recall the other caddies. Maybe fifteen minutes if the others took ten. Depending on the height of your bathroom you may have extension pieces left over.

I found all of the caddies to be pretty handy. Each has some clever points. The SimpleHuman has a nice hanging spot for washcloths and scub mits. The Oxo has nice size plastic shelves. This Zenna has lots of hooks for hanging things off of. Like all of the caddies the shelves are that deep, so very large items could tip out.

Overall these are all great ways to create more space in a small shower. I would probably avoid the SimpleHuman just because I now know it will rust. I was able to get the Zenna in tighter than the Oxo, but I think the Oxo otherwise a better design. In the end I would focus on which one has the better price, but take a look at both and pick the one that seems to have the features you want. They are both good designs.

Phiaton MS 100 BA Balanced Armature Earphones with Mic
Phiaton MS 100 BA Balanced Armature Earphones with Mic
Price: $79.00
10 used & new from $59.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for meetings - decent for music, April 12, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Our primary use for these is for the iPhone. My wife and I end up in a lot of phone meetings in the morning in order to sync with international co-workers. Doing that and getting the family out the door can be a real challenge. We also end up in a lot of Lync meetings at work that require some kind of headset.

The sound on these is excellent for meetings. We've tried it a couple of times and peoples voices are nice and clear. More importantly our voice sounds very clear, and background noises seem to be filtered out. One thing that happens is that as we carpool to work, one of us drives while the other calls into a meeting. We found that these did an amazing job of filtering out road noise. We even turned the radio on low and there was only the occasional leakage into the phone conversation. We were genuinely impressed.

It comes with a variety of ear buds and we did find that they were almost too good. They completely block out outside noise. That can be good or bad depending on where you are using them. We also found that they were good, but not "great" for music. Of course we compared them to a set of high-end studio headphones, so the comparison wasn't exactly fair. I would certainly have no qualms about using them for music, just don't expect perfect quality, especially on the low end.

Overall they are a nice set of earphones for the price - definitely great for business users.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 20, 2015 3:20 AM PDT