Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation Learn more
Profile for Dave > Reviews

Browse

Dave's Profile

Customer Reviews: 495
Top Reviewer Ranking: 906

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dave RSS Feed (Portland)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Cuisinart CSB-300 Smart Stick Variable Speed Cordless Rechargeable Hand Blender with Electric Knife, Stainless Steel
Price: $168.99
20 used & new from $134.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good set for occasional use, February 25, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
On the plus side, this is a nice combo set that does everything pretty well at a reasonable price. On the negative side nothing really stands out and you can definitely find better individual pieces (albeit for more money). I found the cordless hand blender got the job done pretty well though it’s not as powerful as my old corded model. This will knock out a smoothie with no problem but it’s not really cut out for anything thick. The chopper is similarly underpowered, but not so much that it’s a big deal. Expect a coarser and less regular cut. The electric knife works really well, and will transform how you approach slicing a roast or a turkey. It’s just so much faster and easier than slicing with a knife. It’s also wonderful for bread.

Overall a decent set and if you are looking for these items and plan to use them occasionally then it’s a good deal. If you expect to use them heavily then you might want to see out separate pieces that perform better than this set.

*NEW* OtterBox SYMMETRY CLEAR SERIES Case for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus (5.5" Version) - Retail Packaging - ROASTED CRYSTAL (CLEAR/ROASTED TAN)
Price: $49.95
7 used & new from $33.97

3.0 out of 5 stars There is a lot to like about this case, February 24, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There is a lot to like about this case: it looks good, provides very good drop protection and fits really well. It’s modestly hard to put this cover on, but that’s actually desirable – you want your case to stay together if it drops right? However this case does have one big negative: it’s kind of slippery. That sleek look comes at a price: no grip. And that is with perfectly dry hands. Now pick up your phone with wet hands, or after putting some hand lotion on? Not so good. Good thing it’s a rugged case! So if you are prone to drop you phone anyway… not such a great case. But if you are confident in your grip then this con might not be a big deal for you. Other than that issue this is a really great case.

Philips Norelco Detail trimmer Series 1000, Trim ear, eyebrow, sideburn, goatee and mustache hair, NT1000/60
Price: $9.99
9 used & new from $9.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy to have around, February 15, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is one of those things you don't really need, but it's handy to have around and it's cheap enough that you don't really need to worry about the cost. I found it to be handy for keeping mine and the kids hair a little neater for a little longer. It will give you about a week extra on your hair cut. Depending on the number of people in your household that can end up paying for itself pretty quick. The build quality is okay - a little better than what you might expect for $10. Overall a decent little trimmer for not a lot of money.

Portlandness: A Cultural Atlas
Portlandness: A Cultural Atlas
by David Banis
Price: $18.23
56 used & new from $10.17

5.0 out of 5 stars More fun than I expected, January 25, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
To be honest, I almost didn't order this. I mean, I live here, what would I use this book for? However we get a lot of young new hires fresh out of college where I work and I regularly find myself introducing them to the city, so I thought I’d end up loaning this out a lot. However when I sat down to peruse it I found it was a really entertaining read. It’s not just a bland compendium of data, rather a cultural tour of Portland that uses city data as a framework. It’s educational and funny in turns, and overall an enjoyable read. While most useful to newer residents, I think anyone intrigued with this odd little city would enjoy it. It’s also an interesting dissection of a city. Most of us live in them but we don’t always think about what that means. While Portland is perhaps a bit different, it’s in most ways a typical mid-sized American city and this book is a fun introspection on that animal. So don’t let the title put you off (if it does), this book is a nice bit of quasi-educational fun.

OCZ Storage Solutions Vector 180 Series 120GB 2.5-Inch SATA III SSD with Toshiba A19nm NAND VTR180-25SAT3-120G
Price: $74.99
8 used & new from $74.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value but not the best performance, January 15, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've got the smallest of these (120GB) and it's proven to be a great upgrade for a desktop that's used primarily for web browsing and light office apps. I looked up some performance numbers and overall this model seems to sit in the "middle-low" end of the pack in terms of speed. If you are going to be writing a lot of data this is not the drive for you, but to improve the performance of a home PC it's a good choice. I always shop for the best price between the major brands for home PCs and laptops (Samsung, Intel, OCZ, San Disk, Kingston, Crucial). Samsung and Intel are my first choice, but I won't pay more than a 10% premium for a home pc. For anything critical (work or school pc) I buy the second tier SSDs. Again I look at the same list of vendors but Intel and Samsung are my first choice. Intel probably has the best overall SSDs (in terms of reliability) but they usually cost a little more.

Oliver & Iris Bolster Donut Lounge Dog Bed, Medium, Chocolate
Oliver & Iris Bolster Donut Lounge Dog Bed, Medium, Chocolate
Price: $69.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Dog approved - and easy to clean up, January 6, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a nice soft dog pillow that's fairly easy to run through the wash. First off it was a hit with the dog, and that's the most important thing. The sides are perfect for a dog who likes a bit of pillow for their head. You can unzip and remove the bolster which allows you to fit it into pretty much any washer. The bottom has a decent amount of padding. Like any dog pillow it picks up a lot of hair, but regular vacuuming and the occasional wash looks like it will keep it in pretty good shape. Oh and incidentally when I washed it I though in a dye absorbing sheet to see how much it bled and there was pretty much zero brown dye on the sheet. To me that's a good sign that they are using decent fabric and dyes.

The Copper Gauntlet (Magisterium, Book 2)
The Copper Gauntlet (Magisterium, Book 2)
by Holly Black
Price: $10.97
71 used & new from $6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A hit with my son, January 6, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got this for my oldest son (age 9) who loves almost any kind of "adventure fiction". He had read the first book in this series (The Iron Trial (Magisterium, Book 1) and he really enjoyed it. I always read several chapters and skim through the books I buy for my kids and I found the writing to be accessible to kids without dumbing things down - maybe not as compelling to adults but that's not the target audience. My son ripped through it and said he really liked it and that it was "as good or better than the first book in the series". It's now in the hands of his slightly older cousin who also seems to be enjoying it. And for me that's enough: good clean literary fun for kids.

I see some people complaining about the similarity with the "Harry Potter" series but I think this book has it's own voice. (And let's face it the "magical school" trope was popularized by authors like Terry Pratchett long before JK Rowling took a stab at it). I can definitely recommend this as a good series for kids who read above the 4th grade level.

L'il Critters Gummy Vites Complete Multivitamin, 190 Count
L'il Critters Gummy Vites Complete Multivitamin, 190 Count
Price: $9.99
6 used & new from $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Kids love them, but there are quality control issues to consider, December 30, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
With some reluctance I've been giving these to my kids for most of the past year. When the "Gummy" style vitamin first came out there were lots of quality issues. Things have improved a lot, but there are still issues. Just this past summer, Church & Dwight Corp (which sells the Lil Critters and Vitafusion line of vitamin gummies) had to recall their Vitamin D product in Canada because the contained up to 4x the amount of Vitamin D on the label. Previous tests by Consumer Labs Inc. had found less egregious problems in the U.S. a few years back. Competing products have had similar or worse problems, especially with Vitamin D levels. The most recent tests I could find on this product by Consumer Labs had it listed as "Not Approved" because the Folate levels (listed at 144mcg) varied from 122-244mcg, so up to 174.3% of the listed amount. That's still well below the RDA, so I'm not too worried, but it doesn't inspire confidence that they have good quality control practices.

So why do I use it? Well despite their issues they still do better than a lot of their competitors. The only product that consistently beats this on quality (by my measure) are the "Flintstone Gummy" products by Bayer. However Bayer uses some dubious food colors in their products. The amounts are small, so it probably doesn't matter, but it does become a case of deciding between two less than ideal products. In the end I'll probably just switch my kids back to regular chewable vitamins which have a better quality record, less sugar, and very little food coloring.

To minimize the quality control risks I give my kids one gummy in the morning and one in the evening, so it's less likely that I'm slamming my kid with more vitamins than they should ingest (assuming there were to be a problem). Again, I consider the risk low, but not zero. It's nice that kids like to eat these vitamins, but I'm not sure the convenience tradeoff is worth worrying about quality control issues. All that being said if you have a picky eater who doesn't like the hard chewables, I would suggest these or Flintstones Gummies. Neither is "perfect" but I think they are the two best choices out there.

Orbit 80053 24-In. Pusher Snow Shovel with Plastic Edge
Orbit 80053 24-In. Pusher Snow Shovel with Plastic Edge
Price: $20.24
3 used & new from $16.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for clearing long sidewalks - you'll still want a regular snow shovel, December 30, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a perfectly good choice for pushing a lot of snow out of the way. It's big and wide, so if you're talking compact snow it's going to take some strength to use this - however for most people it's less strain than shoveling and tossing snow. The shovel itself it lightweight and easy to handle. It's a solid feeling plastic (with a metal shaft), and it looks like it will hold up well to regular use. This is a great tool for clearing long walks or driveways. You literally plow the snow off to the side rather than lift it. You'll still want a regular shovel for clearing out tight spots and for getting that last bit of ice off the walk, but for clearing most of the snow off a walk way this is going to go a lot faster than a shovel. If you've got the room or need for two snow shovels, this is an excellent pusher. If you are tight for space or only need to occasionally clear out a small area I'd suggest something like this: Suncast SC3250 18-Inch Snow Shovel/Pusher Combo.

CybertronPC Patriot-HBX Orange Gaming Desktop -AMD A4-6300, 16GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 8370D, Microsoft Windows 10
Price: $423.51
5 used & new from $423.51

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT a gaming PC, December 27, 2015
This isn't a bad computer for web browsing and very light weight games, but this is by no definition a gaming computer. The CPU is on par with low to mid ranged CPUs released by Intel 5-6 years ago. A typical low-end Intel Core i3 on the market today will score 4x higher on CPU Mark. The graphics are an integrated Radeon HD 8370D. That means it share the same RAM as the CPU. AMD makes some awesome integrated graphics however this is not one of them. You will find the performance to be under pretty much any current Intel integrated graphics (most of which are also unsuitable for gaming).

In short this computer is not capable of playing any modern 3D game at any settings worth bothering with. So the only reason to buy this is to surf the web or to play very, very old games.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20