Profile for Dave > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 662

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dave RSS Feed (Portland)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
10x18 Inch Rectangular Throw Pillow Insert Form
10x18 Inch Rectangular Throw Pillow Insert Form
Offered by Reynoso Home Decor
Price: $9.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked out perfectly for me, December 20, 2014
I've bought a couple of different sizes from this company and I've been happy with all of them. The shipping has also been reasonably fast (and I'm on the opposite coast from them). One thing I did learn is that you really want to order the largest size you think will fit. My old insert was so worn that when I measured it I came up with a size that was about 2" short. So don't aim low when you order a size. If in doubt, order one to start (which is what I did).

Freshware KT-406 7-in-1 Onion, Vegetable, Fruit and Cheese Chopper with Mandoline Slicer and Storage Lid
Price: $20.68
4 used & new from $18.61

5.0 out of 5 stars A really great value, December 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For the price it's hard to beat this set. Yes, you can spend a lot more and get a better mandolin, but you really can't beat this set for value. All the slicing and chopping features really do work very well. I've sliced tomatoes and onions with no trouble and chopped an onion as well. The instructions could be a little better but after a few minutes of messing around I was able to figure it out.

Having it slice/chop into a container is awesome. I really don't know why every mandoline doesn't work this way. Cleanup was pretty easy. It comes with a tool to help with that but if you've got a decent dishwasher you will rarely need it. Just about any dish brush will do the job as well.

If I had a complaint is that the blade isn't as sharp as my Kitchenaide Mandoline, but the difference is really small and everything else considered I think this a better all-around set and it cost 1/3 as much. Overall a very handy set at a very reasonable price.

303 (30209) Spot Cleaner - 32 fl. oz.
303 (30209) Spot Cleaner - 32 fl. oz.
Offered by Tru Inertia
Price: $7.82
6 used & new from $5.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked okay but may be fatal if swallowed., December 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got this to compare it to Resolve. However as soon as it arrived I discovered what for me is a deal killer: May be fatal if swallowed. I have four kids in the house, so there is pretty much no keeping anything like this around (why take the risk?). And frankly, I just don't see the need to use products that dangerous around the house, kids or no kids. Still, I had it, so why not try it out before I got rid of it?

I tried it on two stains: one spot where a dog had just thrown up, and another spot where some kind of candy had gotten ground into the carpet.

With the vomit both products performed equally well. With the candy the part I treated with 303 didn't budge. With the Resolve it came right up. The 303 had no odor vs. Resolve which has a strong smell that I don't particularly like.

I compared the MSDS for both products. For whatever reason the MSDS for the 303 is much less dire than the warnings on the label. Still it's much worse than what's on the Resolve MSDS (or on the Resolve label).

In the end there is just no way that I'm keeping something that might be deadly, and smells harmless around the house. Add on that it performed a little worse than Resolve and I can't really see a reason to buy it.

Moen 7185SRS Brantford One-Handle High Arc Pulldown Kitchen Faucet Featuring Reflex, Spot Resist Stainless
Price: Click here to see our price
8 used & new from $222.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice faucet, December 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I decided to go with this because my old faucet was starting to look a little banged up. When I first unpacked it I wasn't sure I was really up to installing it. I did electrical work in the army, but this - this is water. Water gets all over. Maybe I should call a plumber. I did the next best thing and called the handiest guy I know. The promise of pizza can work wonders.

As it turned out we needed exactly one cross-tip screwdriver, two crescent wrenches, and about an hour. We had more trouble getting my old faucet off than getting the new one on. Having somebody who's installed a sink really helped because the instructions are just illustrations. Not having to spend a lot of time deciphering those illustrations was a big help. In the past what I've done in situations likes this is look up a couple of videos on YouTube so I can watch somebody walk through it. It will save you a lot of headaches.

They aren't kidding when they say "high arc." This thing sits pretty high, which is nice for large pots and pans. The one-handled faucet feels sturdy and works well. I've tried out the "stain resistance" and I can say for certain it's not "stain proof." It might have fewer water spots as my old faucet. We'll see how well it holds up over time. It certainly looks great now.

The button that switches from spray to stream is so much easier than my old faucet. The pull out feature is smooth and it retracts easily - no complaints there. You will definitely need two people to install this, but only for a few steps. 90% of this is a one-person job. Overall a really nice faucet that's not too hard to install, especially if you use the traditional "pizza" bribe.

Fisher-Price Shakira First Steps Collection Musical Friends Bouncer
Fisher-Price Shakira First Steps Collection Musical Friends Bouncer
Price: $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a nice bouncer, December 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We've gone through a lot of bouncers and rockers over the course of 4 kids. Overall I prefer the rockers (such as Fisher-Price Portable Rocker) over bouncers but you will want something like this for your kid. All you really need is something safe, stable, light, and vibrating. In our experience it's that "rumbling" sensation that really helps to calm them. If you have the time to bounce or rock them it's even better, but we mostly use these for those times when we need to fix a meal or such. The chair keeps the baby relaxed and safe and can be positioned so the baby can see you and you can see the baby.

This is a little better than most bouncers, primarily because the music isn't terribly offensive. It's got a nice Latin feel to it (hence the whole Shakira tie-in) that I think will appeal well to infants. The toys aren't too bad, though I find these are just as likely to back-fire as to help: sometimes babies like them, sometimes they get so excited or frustrated that they fuss. Not a big deal unless you put them in the chair so you could have a few minutes to get something done.

For the price it's a good product. Whether you get this our rocker, I've found the Fisher-Price products to be better made than most of the competition. Given that the music choices on this one are actually tolerable, it just might beat out a rocker and definitely beats out the other bounce chairs I've tried.

Disney Princess Hairstyles: 40 Amazing Princess Hairstyles With Step by Step images
by EddaUSA
Price: $12.49
31 used & new from $10.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well done, December 1, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've got two daughters. Both are into the whole Princess scam but one is *really* into it. I'm pretty hopeless with hair, but my wife is pretty good at it. As good as she was this book has helped her take it to the next level. It's got very easy to follow step-by-step illustrations and nice color pictures, but I wouldn't see it's going to instantly enable "total beginners". Some previous skill with girls hair will really help, because some of the styles have steps involving strange implements like "curling tongs". I'm going to guess most women are going to be fine here, but if you are a single Dad you will need to work your way up on some of these.

Aside from the great illustrations this is a very good quality book. It's got a thick paper cover and fairly thick pages. That improves the odds it will survive in the hands of a toddler. I've got two so I will have no trouble testing that out. Overall a very cheap way to make a princess crazy child really, really, really happy.

CulCharge Smallest Lightning to USB Cable for iPhone & iPad Apple MFI Certified
CulCharge Smallest Lightning to USB Cable for iPhone & iPad Apple MFI Certified
Price: $25.00
2 used & new from $25.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Easier than carrying around a cable, December 1, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This small phone-power adapter seems to work pretty well. After I got it I popped by iPhone on it and it started charging right up. I'm not sure how long this will last in my pocket on a key chain. It does seem sturdy and well made so maybe it would be okay. I'm sure it would be fine in a purse or laptop bag. I did not have any trouble using this with my Otterbox defender case. My wife has some kind of Spec case and that worked fine too.

This is a bit more than just buying a cheap cable, but as a back up way to get your phone to charge off a USB port it's a reasonable option. A second cable would be cheaper, but if you need to carry it around all the time this would take us less space and it's much sturdier than a cable.

LeapFrog LeapTV Educational Active Video Game System
LeapFrog LeapTV Educational Active Video Game System
Offered by PriceLe$$ Discount Store
Price: $130.00
35 used & new from $121.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun way to burn off kid energy when the weather is bad, November 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really had my doubts when I ordered this. We bought an X-box 360 with kinnect two years back with the idea that we would let the kids use it for dance and other "physical" games to get them up and about on wintery days. What we found was the technology was too buggy for kids who aren't that good at following all of the requirements you need for kinnect to work.

Enter this Leap TV. Not only are our four kids (ages 3-8) thrilled with it, but they can use it! In theory I think the Kinnect can detect more types of motion, but this is far less buggy. My kids have had a great time with the games, even the older kids.

Is it educational? Yeah a little. I think kids 3-6 will learn a little while they play around. I'm not sure I'd buy it just for that reason, though if you have a kid struggling a bit with reading or math this might be away to get them engaged, especially if they are really active. For me the value is just in getting the kids to have good clean fun while they jump around and get a little exercise on days when the weather is too bad to do much playing outside. For the price I think it's a good value.

Rosetta Stone Kids Reading
Rosetta Stone Kids Reading
Price: $119.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for developing readers, November 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have four kids: ages 3-8, so we were right in the target range of this reading program. For your money you get access to a 1 year subscription to their reading activities. You can run it off just about anything (PC, Mac, tablet) but we stuck to a good old fashioned PC.

Our kids have just started on this and they are (so far) interested and engaged. Your typical 3 year old is going to need help with this, but beyond that most kids can handle this pretty well. Our 7 year old is a really strong reader and he isn't getting much out of it, but I can see where this would have helped his older brother a lot when he was younger. Regardless of whether they are learning anything, all my kids like to play with it. I think the "optimal" age for this is 4-6. Old enough to be comfortable following along with the rules and with enough attention span to follow through with it.

There are a ton of activities, so I can see it being worth the price. Still as a yearly price it's not cheap, and it's not obvious looking at this page that you are only buying a subscription. This package also includes a story book but I'm not sure it's worth the extra $20.

Overall a good product and certainly a far better use of screen time than just sitting in front of a TV. If you've got a 4-6 year old who's not that driven to read this might help get them jump started. If you've got a 7 year old who is struggling with reading, by all means try this out. If your child is already a strong reader I'm not sure you are going to get a lot out of this, but again, there are worse ways they could be spending their time.

Canon P-215II document Scanner
Canon P-215II document Scanner
Price: $235.24
32 used & new from $169.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a home or small office, November 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a small, fairly portable document scanner. Good for a small setup or anyone who wants to avoid clutter. Two things to know:
1. It doesn’t come with a power adapter, instead you power it via a USB cable. If you don’t have a newer USB 3.0 port you will need two USB cables: one for data and the other for power. You can alternately purchase a power adapter. For some this is a pain, but I love that I can connect and power this thing with one USB3.0 cable.
2. While it will scan without loading the drivers off the disk it will work better if you install the Canon drivers. Canon has a “lite” version of their “CaptureOnTouch” software that can run directly off the scanner, however to enable all of the features you need to install the full drivers off the disk or download them from Canon (go to the product page on Canon and click on the “Drivers and Software” link.

Functionally it works well and will get the job done for a small office or home use. If you are scanning documents all day you probably want something with faster throughput, but if you are just looking for a portable document/card scanner with a small footprint this is a pretty good option.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20