ARRAY(0xa9481fe4)

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mike Nardine RSS Feed

A Skip in Time
A Skip in Time
Price: $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading, February 11, 2014
This review is from: A Skip in Time (Kindle Edition)
Better written than the number of stars I gave it would indicate. He can do better with a bit of conflict.

Colors of India: A Rug Making Journey
Colors of India: A Rug Making Journey
DVD ~ Tracey Dunn
6 used & new from $21.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn Something About Handmade Rugs, October 1, 2013
I watched this video sitting on a pile of rugs in a store. Uncomfortable as my perch was, I found myself unable to walk away from this video. I learned more about hand-made rugs sitting there than I did from reading several books on the subject. While I am still far from being an expert on rugs, handmade or otherwise, I came away from this video a wiser man. I have since purchased it from another source. Excellent! Time well spent!

A Secret History of Genghis Khan
A Secret History of Genghis Khan
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars An Entirely Readable Revision Of History, September 25, 2013
A Secret History Of Genghis Khan by Paul Stesenko is a entirely readable revision of history merged with myth, science and patent law. Yes, patent law, a pursuit you might consider pedestrian when compared with the other eternal verities, but one that author Stesenko cleverly manages to meld with them nonetheless.

The book opens with an actual historically important event, the opening of Tamerlane's Tomb in Samarkand, Uzbekistan by a Russian anthropologist in 1941 at the orders of dictator Josef Stalin. Legend--or is it myth--has it that the following words were inscribed in the old Mongol conqueror's tomb: "Who ever opens my tomb, shall unleash an invader more terrible than I."

The truth of this inscription's actual existence is doubtful, but within months of the exhumation Hitler's armies swarmed into Russia. Perhaps in response--perhaps not--Stalin ordered him reburied the next year, just in time for the soviet victory in Stalingrad, turning the tide against the Nazis.

With the story anchored firmly anchored on the tomb and its accompanying legends, the locus shifts from the 1940's to the present. We meet Jack Matteson, the young patent -lawyer hero of our story, temporarily practicing law in a tent hanging by a cable from a steep cliff in the Canadian Rockies outside Banff, Alberta (I know it sounds uh...over-the-top, but Mr. Stesenko makes it work). Something found in Tamerlane's Tomb seventy-five years ago has appeared as a source of litigation between two technology giants and Jack is right in the middle of it.

And then the scene shifts. We find ourselves in the Twelfth Century watching a young Mongol named Temujin, the young Genghis Khan. With the help of an actual ancient text called The Secret History of The Mongols we follow him through much of his life. The story is old, and bits of it like the kidnapping of Temujin's wife Bortai have been done before , but Stesenko imbues the characters with emotions that make it fresh. Besides, we now learn the secret of what really made his armies so potent.

And then back to the present and our lawyer-hero Jack Matteson with his gradually dawning realization that the Mongol secret is at the core of the litigation. An aggressive, athletic young man with some health challenges, Jack seeks out the secret and the troubling agendas of the litigants. This search takes him into the wilds of Mongolia and dangers prepared by the Mongolian master of trickery 800 years gone.

A Secret History Of Genghis Khan by Paul Stesenko was worth this reviewers time. The history made for interesting reading and I even came away from the book thinking, however erroneously, that I'd learned a little about patent law and lawyers. Mr. Stesenko is a strong storyteller. His punctuation was a bit rough in places and viewpoint changes a bit abrupt from time to time, but in general the book and his writing is an order of magnitude better than most indie Sci-Fi novels on the market.

Scaring the Crows: 21 Tales for Noon or Midnight
Scaring the Crows: 21 Tales for Noon or Midnight
by Gregory Miller
10 used & new from $26.01

5.0 out of 5 stars More Than Just Ghost Stories. A Very Fine Read, November 25, 2009
This small book accorded me one of the most pleasant reading experiences of the last year or so. And don't think I'm damning it with faint praise using the word "pleasant." I'm not; I really liked this book. All parts of it, from its delightful front cover to the blurbs on the back. I've enjoyed it from the moment I took it out of the shipping envelope. I own an e-reader and I'd forgotten how pleasing the sight and feel of a real book can be!

I don't know if it is a tribute to Mr. Miller's skills or those of his publisher, but it was doubly pleasant to come across a book with so few (I couldn't find any) misspellings or typographical errors. Good proofreaders do still exist.

After babbling about the books foundation I want to quickly allay any angst the author may be suffering while awaiting my opinion. Although, after receiving favorable notice from so giant a figure as Ray Bradbury: "Gregory Miller is a fresh new talent with a great future." (the quotation is found on the front cover directly above the title but I can't get it to render), I can't imagine author Gregory Miller is on pins and needles waiting for this pigmy's appraisal. All I can do is agree with the great man: Gregory Miller does indeed have talent!

The title of the book leads us to believe it is all ghost and horror stories; one look at the whimsical but controlled cover illustrations, however, immediately informs us that it contains elements bound to be more complicated than that. Dark yes, but varied enough to keep us interested; some stories are indeed ghostly, others poignant; yet others almost comedic. But dark; dark is still the operative word here.

For instance, in "Scaring The Crows," the first short story as well as the title of the book, the tortured heroine's self perpetuated problems would be downright amusing if they weren't so obviously painful and likely to be fatal. About half-way though the book another story, "Lorna Gould's Roses," has some funny lines too, but the protagonist's situation is deadly serious. My favorite story, found near the end of the book, "A Sense of Duty," is perhaps the darkest of the lot and yet somehow manages to be life-affirming. If you've ever tried to write fiction you're aware of the difficulty inherent in expressing such dichotomies in print, but Miller does a masterful job.

All Miller's well-drawn characters are ordinary people caught in situations where the rules don't fit the game they thought they were playing; there's nary a Hannibal Lecter in the bunch. We can all relate. (Well, Ok, there's at least one flesh eater and three or four zombies; but the flesh eater wasn't looking for trouble and the zombies are ordinary guys in a zombie sort of way.) Miller has an excellent ear for dialogue; there's just a trace of dialect here and there for the sake of back-country verisimilitude, nothing to jar us out of Coleridge's "willing suspension of disbelief."

Miller specializes in abrupt endings. For the most part he's quite good at it. My one criticism (and I suspect he's heard this before) is that occasionally the ending is all too abrupt. In "Goodbye Friend" for instance, one of the more poignant stories (Hey! We're talking a boy and his dog here!), I don't know how it ends. I mean, was it the lady or the tiger? Life or death?

Did I mention that I liked this book? I found it well written, well bound, well illustrated and yes, well proofread. One of the best new books for under ten bucks I've read in a long time.

How To Buy, Sell & Flip Websites On Ebay Like A Pro! Make Easy Money Fast; How To Find Underpriced Websites On Ebay & Relist To Make A Quick Profit; Tell ... A Website Is Original And More! Mission-Surf

4.0 out of 5 stars Lotta Book For A Buck, April 20, 2009
Not a bad little book for a buck. I don't know that it did anything to increase my net worth, but any time I learn something new about the web from a book I feel I got my money's worth, and I did learn a few things from this little guy. I certainly learned to look more closely at the sites for sale on Ebay. Not that I wasn't looking closely anyway, but this book gave me some yardsticks to apply: Is the website making money? How does it feature in the search engines for relevant phrases and keywords? Does it feature unique content? And how do you find the answers to some of these questions? (After a week or two in the business world you've come to realize you can't always believe what the seller is telling you!) Well, if you want to know for certain the site you're considering has a real Google page rank, there's a website. Want to know what links the website you're looking at really has? There's a website. Want to know if you're about to fall prey to a plagiarist? Guess what, there's a website. All in all a very informative book for a single American dollar. It will certainly be on Cheap Mikes Domains' reading list.

Is It Love or Is It Addiction
Is It Love or Is It Addiction
by Brenda Schaeffer
46 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars It Could Be A Bit Of Both, April 12, 2009
This relationship of yours, is it love or is it an addiction? Of course only your therapist will know for sure, but for those of you that can't afford a therapist, "Is It Love Or Is It Addiction" is as good a way to find out as any. Psychotherapist Brenda Schaeffer appears to know her way around the subject, and the book is well researched, with quotes and images from the poets (Kahlil Gibran) to the psychoanalysts (Erich Fromm).

Healthy love, the love we all want to hope we have, is described as "energy," as "unconditional" and "expansive." To be sure these are difficult concepts to quantify, but Ms. Shaeffer to her credit tries and does a fairly successful job of it with her stories of healthy and failed loves.

Easier to find is that love that is actually an addiction: quoting Stanton Peele and Archie Brodsky, addiction is defined as "an unstable state of being, marked by a compulsion to deny all that you are or have been in favor of some new and ecstatic experience." That means if you never get enough of the strange stuff, you've got a problem.

Will "Is It Love or Is It Addiction" help you find love and happiness? Who knows, but it couldn't hurt. At least after finishing this book you'll have a better idea as to whether or not you need a therapist!

Mike Nardine, the author of this review currently has a romance novel on sale at the Amazon Kindle Store:Prickly Pear: A contemporary Romance set in Chicago and the Southwest

Broker's Open
Broker's Open
by Larry Stoller
10 used & new from $3.75

4.0 out of 5 stars A cool murder mystery, April 11, 2009
This review is from: Broker's Open (Paperback)
Death in Duluth, Minnesota, in December. A real cold case! Pun intended. A real estate agent is murdered with her own For Sale sign at an open house on a prestigious road in Duluth in December. The agent's broker gets a note from the killer telling him he'd better get out of town or worse is going to happen. How much worse can it get? The broker, an ex-cop with one lung is hard to frighten, but he doesn't want anybody else hurt. Trying to figure out who is out to get him, he goes back over his whole life, from his birth and early years in New York to his teen years and teen loves in good old Duluth. Oddly, this journey into the main character's past is the best part of the book, and Duluth comes across as a pretty decent place to live except for a few bigots, a problem shared by most places. A pretty decent book for the price.

The Beckoning Door: A Mystery
The Beckoning Door: A Mystery
by Mabel Seeley
Price: $21.60
32 used & new from $3.94

5.0 out of 5 stars A return to small-town Minnesota, April 11, 2009
Mabel? Short for Margaret? No, we're told it's just Mable. Now doesn't that name alone evoke a Minnesota long gone? Mable Seeley might be seen as Minnesota's Raymond Chandler. While Cathy Kingman (the heroine) is a bit more Minnesota-nice than Chandler's Philip Marlow, she isn't one whit less intelligent and brave. Just as Chandler takes us to 1930's L.A., Seeley returns us to mid-century, small-town Minnesota. All the characters that made up that world are here: the rich, the poor and the working stiffs; at a time when cool people still smoked and radio was all there was at home on the sultry, mosquito-filled evenings of summer. Besides sex and violence, of course. But the big two are understated in this book--mysteries were about plots then, not titillation.

Charleston Red
Charleston Red
by Sarah Galchus
Price: $10.43
13 used & new from $6.87

5.0 out of 5 stars A very colorful murder mystery, April 11, 2009
This review is from: Charleston Red (Paperback)
"Charleston Red." This book's title might be a reference to the blood shed by the murderer in this mystery novel. Or, set in modern-day Charleston, South Carolina, it might only be referring to the bright flame-colored drawing rooms of anti-bellum mansions in an older, fabled Charleston. Or maybe it's both. In any case it's an apt title on both levels because there's plenty of blood and plenty of local color in this book. The chief protagonist is Laura Lindross, a successful New York mystery novelist spending the winter in Charleston working on her next novel when--shades of "Murder, She Wrote"--and a thousand others--horrible things happen to her friends and acquaintances. (I'm not being dismissive here, merely attempting to be informative; these mystery novels are a genre unto themselves, with lots and lots of avid readers who are less interested in original plots than vividly rendered locales and interesting characters.) And in this book, man-oh-man is the locale vividly rendered: "She smiled and indicated a large moss-colored chenille afghan, bottle green martini glasses, several beautiful silver picture frames and a hanging lamp blown of opaque amber-colored glass and decorated with wrought-iron detail." The action and the characters interact in a world of wealth, privilege and empty hours and days unfamiliar to most of the books readers--which of course makes the whole thing all that much more interesting. Admittedly this reader knows nothing of Charleston or the every day life of its richest inhabitants, but the characters in this book are rendered with sufficient skill to make him believe that he does--and that's all that is really required for a good read.

The Domain Name Handbook
The Domain Name Handbook
Price: $1.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive and Informative, April 8, 2009
This very affordable little book gave me the information I needed when I needed it and at a price that didn't make me wince. I wanted to find out something about domains (What in the world?); and I didn't want to pay $[...] at Barnes and Noble for the education. (I'm not called Cheap Mike for nothing!) Oh, I'd been around the net long enough to know the information was out there--but in a terribly disorganized and fragmented fashion; and besides, staring at a computer screen for hours hurt my aging eyes. Then along came the Kindle and little inexpensive books like this one.
I was dubious at first: something worth reading for less than three bucks? On the other hand even I am willing to gamble at these prices. And I won. This little book not only answered my questions, it piqued my curiosity and led me in a completely unexpected direction.
The first short chapter is called "What is a Domain Name?" Exactly what I wanted to know and I didn't have to plow through the mountains of verbiage that accompanies books with titles like "Learn this or that in 24 Hours" or "The Idiot's Guide" at fifty bucks a whack!
The following chapters are just as short and to the point. Want to know about types of domain names? Com.; Net.; Tv.; That sort of stuff? Want to know about how to make money with domain names? Have you ever wondered where domain names go when they die--excuse me, expire? It's all in this little book. Hey, with the money you save buying this little darling you can buy yourself a half dozen domain names!

[...]