Profile for Amy Bischoff > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amy Bischoff "20-something mommy of 1" RSS Feed (Amherst, Ohio)

Belly Laughs: The Naked Truth About Pregnancy And Childbirth
Belly Laughs: The Naked Truth About Pregnancy And Childbirth
by Jenny McCarthy
343 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars It's ok to think about yourself when pregnant!, April 10, 2006
So, for the most part the reviews are either 'OMG, this book is so funny' or 'OMG this book is so offensive!'

It's funny, no questioning that. It's crude, no questioning that either. If you find the "F" word offensive, don't buy it. If you find referring to your privates in "crude" language offensive, don't buy it. For those of us who have conquered the world of adult language and realize that words are just words there are no real problems.

Don't buy this book if you are looking to be educated about pregnancy. It's entitled "Belly Laughs". These are Jenny's anecdotal stories that we all ge to laugh about.

If you are one of those people who is horrified if you hear a pregnant woman call herself fat, say she isn't going to breastfeed or is more concerned with her own image than this "perfect beautifu life inside her" don't buy. For those of us who have actually been through pregnancy without sugar coating it, some days you do feel fat, sometimes you DO want to have sex without jr. kicking you and every once in a while we want to think more about ourselves than being pregnant. It's good that there is a book in the mainstream that validates that feeling instead of saying "all you should think about is this life inside you". Sometimes us pregnant girls want to think about our OWN lives.

The Basic Eight
The Basic Eight
by Daniel Handler
51 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Completely Hilarious, April 10, 2006
This review is from: The Basic Eight (Paperback)
I laughed out loud to myself more times than I could count with this book. The dialogue is so witty and pretentious that you start to be annoyed with the characters and wind up laughing at them (and with them) instead. The ending was completely unexpected and I don't really know what to make of it--which is why I've given 4 and not 5 stars. Even still, this book was well written and very, very funny.

Irreparable Harm
Irreparable Harm
by Randy Singer
49 used & new from $0.10

2.0 out of 5 stars Today's vocabulary word: Didactic, April 10, 2006
This review is from: Irreparable Harm (Paperback)
"Inclined to teach or moralize excessively"

This book wasn't about characters. Good writing consists of good characters doing interesting things. This book holds the issue of abortion at its center, along with the issue of cloning. The writing was cliche, characters undeveloped and the plot was weak and predictable. Agree with the other reader, Harlequin romance novel minus the juicy sex scenes disguised as thought provoking literature. Not my cup of tea...

What Caroline Knew: A Novel
What Caroline Knew: A Novel
by Caryn James
72 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars I feel like I missed the punch line., April 10, 2006
This book was an easy read, in fact I read it in an afternoon. It was interesting enough; I kept turning the pages to see what would happen to our dear socialite. She's believable, we feel empathy for her but we never quite understand her. What this book lacks is resolution. I just read 200+ pages and Caroline has still taken secrets to her grave. There are still unanswered questions about the portrait. Maybe it is the author's right to leave a mystery unsolved but it violates the rules of "good" writing not to restore readers to a point of equilibrium and the author never takes us there. In the end, an interesting read but seemingly unfinished.