ARRAY(0x9d123438)

Customer Reviews: 262

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Leslie RSS Feed (Midwestern USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
TapeCase Home Tape Kit
TapeCase Home Tape Kit
Price: $30.92

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy sampler pack of 3M tapes, April 15, 2014
This review is from: TapeCase Home Tape Kit (Misc.)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The 3M Home Tape Kit contains small amounts of 11 different kinds of tapes making it both a sampler pack for testing before buying larger quantities and a variety pack for one time needs.

The tapes are in a large box each type in a separate compartment. An instruction card is included that provides a picture and a description of each type of tape and its suggested uses. It has the look of a gift box and would make a nice housewarming gift for a first time homeowner.

I immediately put the double stick tape to work repairing some fabric that had detached itself from a valance. The wire management tape tidied up the area under my computer desk and a strip of reflector tape went on the mailbox pole at the end of the driveway making it much easier to find my house in the dark. There were only two command strips and I have infinitely more uses for those.The box, with any remaining tape after my husband finishes going through it, is going in my front hall closet for easy retrieval when I need to use it again.

Zwipes Microfiber Wash Mitt - Set of 2
Zwipes Microfiber Wash Mitt - Set of 2
Price: $14.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Made fast work of washing the car, April 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Microfiber Wash Mitts made fast work of cleaning the car. I have small hands and these mitts stayed on and were easy to hold on to even when soaking wet.

Each mitt hold lots of soapy water and made cleaning large areas fast and efficient. They are soft and gentle and the design, with all the little microfiber tendrils, made it easy to get into the little nooks and crannies and lift out the dirt. They rinse out fast and dried quickly. I also put one of them to use washing my large patio door windows and it did an excellent job.

I love these - I will never use a sponge on my car or windows again.

Basis Health Tracker for Fitness, Sleep & Stress - Black (Discontinued By Manufacturer)
Price: $166.66
6 used & new from $164.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Basis Health Tracker, April 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A health tracker watch is a nice idea but it isn't working out for me the way I expected. I do a lot of walking and hiking and idea of tracking heart rate and temperature, along with steps and calories like my pedometer was appealing. I was also excited about the sleep analysis feature.

A huge problem for me is the fit of the watch. I intended to wear it all day and night, but it's not practical. I'm an average size woman with a tiny wrist. It slides around, feels clunky and looks goofy with my dress clothes. It sticks up too high and gets caught on everything. So now I wear it selectively when doing an activity I want to monitor: walking, hiking, sleeping, etc.

Another problem is that I'm not convinced of the accuracy of the data. There are large gaps - sometimes an hour or more several times per night - in the sleep data. The number of steps doesn't match my pedometer or an actual count of my steps. The heart rate data is a bit slower than my actual pulse.

I do not have a smartphone so I have been using my PC to upload the data. Once an account is set up and activated, syncing the data and using the website are easy. As long as Basis continues to provide support, the data will be of use. Without the website or if the company should ever shut down, much of the functionality of the watch is gone.

I think this has a lot of potential but until Basis has a sleeker, smaller, more tiny-wrist friendly design, I cannot use it as a 24/7 health tracker.

Coast FX352 Frame Lock Folding Knife 3.5-Inch Blade
Coast FX352 Frame Lock Folding Knife 3.5-Inch Blade
Price: $32.75
2 used & new from $31.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-constructed folding knife with a sharp blade, April 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is an attractive, well-constructed folding knife with a very sharp blade. It has a simple design and a sleek look. I was able to open and close the knife one-handed with some effort, but found it was more comfortable to use two hands. Once opened the knife locked firmly in place. The non-slip grip is comfortable and it fit well in my small hands. My husband, however, was able to easily open and close the knife one-handed. He immediately put it to use cutting up boxes. Overall a nice all-purpose knife that we will both use.

Shiva Rea: Yoga in Greece
Shiva Rea: Yoga in Greece
DVD ~ Shiva Rea
Price: $15.43
26 used & new from $9.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of features and a dazzling production, April 3, 2014
This review is from: Shiva Rea: Yoga in Greece (DVD)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been practicing yoga on and off over the years and consider myself at or near an intermediate level but found this workout to be on the difficult side and occasionally had trouble keeping up. I was having a hard time following the directions without looking up at the TV and some of the postures were difficult for me to do. Did I like the DVD? Yes, but I want to warn that I don't feel this is for beginners and even those with some experience may have some difficulty.

There are 7 workouts and the DVD has a nice feature called the Yoga Matrix that allows them to be selected in the playing order desired. Each segment is about 20 minutes long. String together as many or as few as you like.

The background scenery is beautiful, the music is relaxing and Shiva Rea has a pleasant, calming voice. The workout can be further customized to turn off the instructions and play music only.

Overall a beautifully produced DVD with a lot of features. The only thing missing for me was a beginner workout to help me get back into the flow for those times when I don't practice for a few weeks.

The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History
The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History
by Elizabeth Kolbert
Price: $21.17
77 used & new from $15.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, balanced account of the threat to the diversity of life on our planet, April 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The mass extinction most of us are familiar with occurred about 65 million years ago and killed off the dinosaurs, but there were four previous mass extinctions in the history of the earth. Each of these appears to have been brought on by a natural event that caused a sudden change in climate. Species that could not quickly adapt to the new conditions died out.

A growing number of scientists now believe we are living in a new geological era, the Anthropocene, which began about 8,000 years ago with the development of farming. Only after our descendants look back in thousands of years’ time will they know for sure, but the evidence for a new era is mounting. Humans have been affecting the earth’s systems for centuries now and have caused irreversible change to the climate at a pace too fast for many species to adapt.

In this extensively researched book, Kolbert provides us with some history in the form of an overview of previous mass extinctions and the research of Darwin and Lyell, she closely examines a dozen recently extinct and endangered species, and details her travels across the globe to participate in field research with other scientists.

This is a fascinating, balanced account of the current threat to the diversity of life on our planet. The author does not dispute that temperatures on earth have fluctuated in the past, which they have, but explains how rapid change can bring on mass extinctions. The melting of the polar ice caps, destruction of the rain forests, thinning of the ozone layer, the introduction of invasive species to other continents, high levels of carbon dioxide, which may be at its highest level in 15 million years, are only a few contributors to a rapidly changing climate.

I was so engrossed in this book that I read it in only a few days. It is thought-provoking, at times scary and also sad for what we have lost and can still lose in our lifetime. Scientists predict that 30% – 50% of species could be gone from the planet by 2050, a stunning loss to diversity.

This is not a heavy science book. While there are a lot of scientific facts contained between the pages, it’s a very readable and relatable book. I consider myself a bit of a science geek and loved every bit of it, but at the same time I would also highly recommend it to anyone with even a passing interest in the subject. It is that good.

(10 Pcs Bundle) 5 Center Pinch Lens Cap (58mm) and 5 Cap Keeper Leash for Canon, Nikon, Sony and any other DSLR Camera + MagicFiber Microfiber Premium Lens Cleaning Cloth
Offered by Digital Goja
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit 58mm replacement cap, April 3, 2014
After losing several lens caps in the field I was thrilled to find a replacement cap that came with a leash to prevent future losses. The cap is a perfect fit for my Canon Rebel XSi. The package includes five caps and leashes plus a micro fiber cleaning cloth for less than the cost of one replacement cap with the Canon logo on it and does the job just as well.

Wilson Jones Heavy Duty Round Ring View Binder with Extra Durable Hinge, 1-Inch, White (W363-14WA)
Price: $9.82

2.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight, durable materials but poorly constructed, April 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a lightweight binder with a thin covering of plastic over medium weight cardboard. The rings are sturdy and open and close easily, but overall quality of construction is lacking in several areas.

- The plastic laminate over the cardboard is bubbling up in a few places - it appears it was not applied correctly.
- The binder will not close properly - the rings are mounted about a quarter inch too close to the spine so that when closed the top and bottom edges of the binder do not line up.
- The clear plastic over-sleeve is not smooth and has a slightly warped appearance.

In an inexpensive binder (the price was just over nine dollars at the time of my order) I wouldn't be so critical, but at this price I expect a better constructed product.

Colgate Slim Soft Pro Tip Toothbrush
Colgate Slim Soft Pro Tip Toothbrush
Offered by LaBelle Company
Price: $4.04
13 used & new from $0.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Slimmer bristles and smaller brush help me reach a troublesome tooth, April 2, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was already using a compact, soft bristle brush but still had problems reaching a troublesome area in the back of my mouth. The Colgate Slim Soft toothbrush may have solved this problem. With its slender head and flexible handle I can maneuver better. I know it is working because in the past I needed to floss the problem tooth several times to get it clean, but now there is little trapped debris left to remove. The slimmer bristles make the difference. I'll know for sure though if my dentist agrees with me at my next cleaning.

The Homing Instinct: Meaning and Mystery in Animal Migration
The Homing Instinct: Meaning and Mystery in Animal Migration
by Bernd Heinrich
Price: $16.46
49 used & new from $12.47

5.0 out of 5 stars An introspective look into the nature and need to return home, March 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
From the title of Bernd Heinrich's new book, The Homing Instinct, I was expecting a scientific exploration of the migratory behaviors of birds and other creatures that embark on long journeys to and from their breeding grounds, but I found, along with science, an introspective look into the nature and the need to return home. Mixed in with the science, both the author's own research and that of other scientists, I discovered a beautifully written book consisting of many stories and observations, giving many parts of the book the feel of a memoir. Present throughout is the theme, `What is home?' and `Why do all creatures, including humans, feel that pull to return to the place they are from?'.

The Homing Instinct is divided into three sections, the first part delving into homing behavior using the examples of Sandhill Cranes, Monarch butterflies and honey bees to name a few, and their remarkable ability to navigate by the sun and stars, recognize landmarks and arrive at their destination without getting lost. In the second part the author discusses homemaking behavior: types of homes or nests and how to choose the spot, and not only for the animals, this also applies to humans and he uses the example of his own family home and land in the woods of western Maine. In the third part, herding behaving and homing to each other rather than a place is discussed.

There is much to like about Heinrich's approachable and engaging writing style, and enjoyable stories and anecdotes. In one of my favorite chapters we learn about a web orb spider that made her home inside his home. For two summers he observed and chronicled her behavior, even naming her Charlotte, and in the end discovered that her actions did not follow established spider lore. Another favorite was the story of an old apple tree that he dated to 1790 and his research into the mysterious origin of the tree. Of much interest to me was the sad tale of the now extinct Passenger Pigeon, a victim of man, but also of its own biology and its need to return in enormous size groups to only a few nesting grounds, making it easy prey for hunters.

In both animals and humans, we all yearn to return to that place called home, the place where we feel we belong. Highly recommended, not only for those who enjoy nature, but any one who wants to better understand our need to return to our roots.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20