Profile for Leslie > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 526

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Leslie RSS Feed (Midwestern USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
DII 100% Polyester, Machine Washable, Tonal Bordered Fabric Tablecloth, 60 x 84", Gray, Seats 6 to 8 People
Price: $27.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Attractive contemporary design, July 4, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a polyester tablecloth with a linen look and a contemporary design. The contrasting border is attractive and gives it an elegant look. The fabric is light weight with a loose weave that drapes nicely on my dining room table. It's a good, casual tablecloth that is easy to wash and dries almost wrinkle free. I have the gray color and it looks nicer in person than it does in the photo. And while the fabric is not the highest quality, mine did not have any flaws or damage.

NeilMed Ear Spin Safe, 0.0625 Pound
NeilMed Ear Spin Safe, 0.0625 Pound
Price: $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Relief from itchy ears, July 3, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
While I don't have a severe wax problem, I do have itchy ears. I know I'm not supposed to stick a Q-tip in ear canal, but when it gets bad, I am so tempted. So I was happy to find a product that is relatively safe to use in my ears.

I started with the coil, but didn't see any results. It is the softest of the four tools and may be too soft for my old ears.

Moving up to the bristle, I achieved results. Besides itch relief, a small amount of wax was removed. In the other ear, I tried the screw with similar results. It did take me several attempts because I was very cautious, moving carefully into the ear and twisting the tool very slowly.

I was able to clean the tools fairly easily by first using a tissue to knock out the wax, and then soap and water. They should also be disinfected with alcohol. I would not recommend sharing these and I suspect they will wear out fairly fast under normal, continuous use.

I am pleased with the results. If my ears aren't itching, I'm not thinking about ear wax or sticking anything in my ear.

Soundpeats Qy7 V4.1 Bluetooth Mini Lightweight Wireless Stereo Sports/running & Gym/exercise Bluetooth Earbuds Headphones Headsets W/microphone for Iphone 5s 5c 4s 4, Ipad 2 3 4 New Ipad, Ipod, Android, Samsung Galaxy, Smart Phones Bluetooth Devices (Black/green)
Offered by SoundPEATS Audio
Price: $29.99
4 used & new from $14.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight, comfortable headphones are a pleasure to use, July 3, 2015
Since I began listening to audiobooks and music using my phone I have discovered that bluetooth headphones are the best way to go. No more wires to get caught on things as I move around. When Soundpeats offered me a free sample of their headphones to review, I was eager to try them out.

The headphones paired easily with my Galaxy 4 phone. The buttons to control on/off, volume, play, pause, and answer calls are on the right. These are tiny, multi-function buttons that take a little getting used to, but after a while it becomes instinctive where to press. A 'voice' acknowledges when the headphones are connected and when power is on/off. It will also announce when the battery is low. The voice feature can be turned off; I find it helpful.

The audio quality is fine. Music sounds good and I can clearly hear my audiobooks. The built-in microphone has great sound for phone calls. I had no trouble carrying on a conversation while outside gardening. Background noise does not filter through.

Battery life is good, approx 5-6 hours (judging by how much of my book I listened to). Charging is done by USB and the connector port is under the tiny green flap on the left earphone.

The headphones are lightweight and stay firmly on my head, even when I am actively moving around gardening or cleaning the house. And most importantly, they are comfortable. Included are three sizes of ear pieces and a storage case. I am impressed with the overall quality of this headset. [Sample product received for review purposes.]

Curel Itch Defense Soothing Moisturizing Spray, 6 Ounce
Curel Itch Defense Soothing Moisturizing Spray, 6 Ounce

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant scent, cool feeling, relieves itching, June 30, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am plagued with dry skin year-round. In the winter, from the dry air, and now in the summer from extra showering, the sun, and bug bites. While I do use sunscreen, I still get a little bit burnt with the resulting flaky, itchy skin.

This past weekend I spent an entire day out in nature areas counting birds for a science BioBlitz. Lots of sun and bug spray on my neck, arms, and hands left me with dry, irritated skin. This was a perfect test for the Curel Moisturing Spray. After washing up I sprayed it on and felt instant relief. The back of my hands had a lot of mosquito bites and it calmed those down quite a bit although it does not completely stop the itch—there is no antihistamine in it.

The lotion has a pleasant scent and is not greasy. It has a cool feeling when it first hits my skin. Although it is in a spray can, I still had to rub it into my skin. It dispenses with some force and in a stream of lotion, more liquid than creamy.

While I like the lotion and it works well to relieve my dry, itchy skin, I'm not crazy about the delivery system. The nozzle is difficult to press and the spray comes out strong, making it a little awkward to aimy directly on the affected skin. As a work around I spray it into my hand and then rub it on, same as using a pump bottle.

The Bones of You
The Bones of You
by Debbie Howells
Price: $14.30
41 used & new from $9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Suspenseful Psychological Thriller, June 30, 2015
This review is from: The Bones of You (Hardcover)
The Bones of You is a suspenseful mystery told from alternating perspectives: Kate, who has a daughter the same age as Rosie and feels compelled to find out what happened, and Rosie, who tells her story from beyond the grave.

As Kate spends more time with Rosie’s family, she realizes that things aren’t as they seem on the surface. Why is Kate so interested in solving this mystery? She is only casual friends with Rosie’s mom, and while Rosie would stop by the stables to visit Kate’s horses, she was not good friends with Kate’s daughter, Grace.

This quote from Kate gives us a clue . . .
“I have a gardener’s inherent belief in the natural order of things. Soft‑petalled flowers that go to seed. The resolute passage of the seasons. Swallows that fly thousands of miles to follow the eternal summer. Children who don’t die before their parents.”

Rosie’s point of view is in contrast to Kate’s. She is, in a way, a ghost and sees what other characters cannot. In flashbacks she reveals bits and pieces of her life and secrets about her family. While they appear to be happy to the outside world, theirs is a dysfunctional home that goes back several generations.

Answers are revealed slowly and as secrets are brought to light, the pieces fall into place. This is not a fast-paced thriller; the story has a slow, subtle, suspenseful build, but once I became engaged in the story, it was difficult to put this book down.

While seasoned mystery readers will have the murderer figured out before the reveal, there are enough angles in the story to keep many of us guessing. And while I was pretty sure I knew who did it, I didn’t understand the reason ‘why’ until the end. [Advance copy provided by NetGalley.]

Ipow Universal Easy Cd Slot Iphone GPS Car Mount Holder Cradle with Just a Push, 360 Degree Rotation for Iphone 6 Plus 6 Plus(5.5) 6 5s 5c 4s 4, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3 S2 Note 4 Note 3 Note 2, HTC One Max M8 M7, Motorola Droid Razr Hd, Maxx, Nokia Lumia 920, Blackberry Z10 Torch,sony Z2 Z1, Lg G2 G Pro2, G3, Lg Flex and More - Excellent for Larger GPS Devices.
Offered by NORTHERN LIGHTS USA INC
Price: $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile design, easy to use, June 29, 2015
The Ipow Universal Easy Cd Slot Car Mount fits a wide variety of phone sizes. The gripper supports on either side ratchet in with a gentle push towards the phone and give a secure hold. With a push of a button on the bottom right, the grippers retract and the phone is easily removed. The cradle readily fit my Samsung Galaxy S4 and my husband's Galaxy S5.

The design of the holder allows it to fit securely in the front portion of a car's CD player using a short insertion blade. A turn of the knob spreads the fingers of the blade to hold tightly while the car is in motion.

Using the CD slot as a mount places the phone in a position that is easy to see. It is below the dash board where it receives very little glare. The holder is fully adjustable. The phone can be viewed in portrait or landscape, or rotated towards the passenger seat.

Overall the holder is versatile and practical. It rotates and turns so that I can reach the buttons on the radio; however it does block my view of the digital clock, which is not a problem for me as the phone displays the time. [Sample product received for review purposes.]
Comment Comment | Permalink

Curel Itch Defense Body Wash, 10 Ounce
Curel Itch Defense Body Wash, 10 Ounce

4.0 out of 5 stars Made my skin soft and happy, June 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I suffer from year-round dry skin, and while there is more moisture in the air now in the summer, I am washing more often because it's hot and sweaty outside. I'm always searching for a better moisturizing cleanser that actually makes me feel clean.

The Curel Body Wash is a soft, creamy cleanser with barely a scent. After drying off from the shower my skin usually feels dry (even when using moisturizing soaps like Tone) and I run for the body lotion, but that hasn't happened since I've been using the Curel wash. My skin felt soft and there was no greasy feeling. In the winter, I know I will need to add a moisturizer, but it's nice to know that my cleanser won't be stripping the moisture from my skin.

The Curel body wash was a nice surprise and the quality I expect to find in a high end product.

PacificCoast NutriLabs 100mg Coq10, Pure Coenzyme Ubiquinone, High Absorption, Free Ebook, 120 Count
Price: $17.17
3 used & new from $16.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Antioxidents for heart and brain health, June 25, 2015
I am taking CoQ10 supplements daily in an effort to add more antioxidants to my diet.

The pills are medium-sized, about 5/8-inch, easy to swallow softgels with no aftertaste or bad smell. These are a high dose, 100mg, pill, so I only need to take one per day as opposed to the 50mg I find in the local drugstore.

After taking these daily for a month, I have had no ill effects or allergic reactions. Antioxidants are one of those additives that work long-term by preventing heart disease and brain health, so I haven't realized any immediate positive effects. What is important to me when selecting a supplement is the quality. The CoQ10 from PacificCoast NutriLabs is has no artificial preservatives, colors or flavors and is naturally sourced, and are made in the USA. [Sample product received for review purposes.]

Freedom's Child: A Novel
Freedom's Child: A Novel
Offered by Audible, Inc. (US)

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging thriller with a satisfying ending, June 23, 2015
When Freedom went into the witness protection program, part of the deal was to give up her two young children for adoption, a deal she regrets. Falsely accused of killing her police officer husband, she feared, because of her testimony against his brother, that his family would be out to get her and find the children. Now she learns her daughter has gone missing and sets out on her own, without the fed’s protection, to find her.

Freedom is a very flawed character that I couldn’t help liking. She’s brash, angry, and reckless but at the same time strong and likable. With a multi-layered plot and lots of action, the story took off right from the first page and never let up. Characters were interesting and well-developed, even though many were not very nice people.

This was an engaging thriller with a satisfying ending where loose ends are tied up, puzzles are resolved, and questions are answered.

Audio production:
Narration was performed by Hillary Huber and MacLeod Andrews. This was an easy story to follow even though there were quite a few characters and the setting moved to a few different places. The narrators did a nice job keeping the characters distinct throughout the fast-paced adventure. The story was well-written and I was always clear where we were and what was happening.
[Audio download provided by publisher for review]

Per-Fit Adult Briefs, Large, 18 Count (Pack of 4)
Per-Fit Adult Briefs, Large, 18 Count (Pack of 4)
Price: $41.53
14 used & new from $36.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Soft, secure, and absorbent, June 21, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are not like a pull-up, which is designed for more active people, but a brief that works like a diaper. These are great for night use and work well on someone who is immobile or bedridden. The briefs open flat making it easy to put on someone who cannot dress themselves or offer much assistance or might need to be rolled onto the brief. We use these for my mom who has dementia and incontinence problems.

They are not overly bulky and are a medium thickness, although they are not form-fitting. They have a fabric-like outer covering and a soft, absorbent interior lining. There are two tabs on each side allowing a more secure fit and are easy to adjust around the waist. They are very absorbent and for the most part do not leak, but mom is not very mobile and mostly sits all day. Also, no odor control issues, rashes, or other problems.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20