Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Baby Sale
Profile for Leslie > Reviews

Browse

Leslie's Profile

Customer Reviews: 557

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Leslie RSS Feed (Midwestern USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Proactiv+ Clarifying Night Cream
Proactiv+ Clarifying Night Cream
Price: $52.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well on my fair, combination type skin — it now has a smoother, cleaner look, September 2, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My aging skin now has occasional breakouts, something I never had in my younger years. My dermatologist prescribed Tretinoin (Retin-A) which worked well to both stop the breakouts and made my skin younger. Currently I using over-the-counter products containing retinol to control breakouts and reduce fine lines.

Proactiv+ Clarifying Night Cream contains retinol for aging plus salicylic acid for breakouts. It would be more convenient for me to use a two in one product, so I was eager to try it out, but I was a little concerned that these two ingredients might be too harsh when used together. I tested a small area on my face for two nights. I had no bad reaction so I proceeded to apply the cream to my entire face for the next week.

After washing with a gentle, moisturizing cleanser, I applied a thin layer of the Proactive+ cream. It has a light texture, a pleasant scent, and absorbed quickly into my skin. After a few days I did indeed have a small amount of flaking skin, mostly around my nose. After a few more days, the flaking stopped and the overall texture and tone of my skin now has a smoother, cleaner look to it. This is similar to the effect I got when using the Tretinoin.

I do like the product and for me it performs well. Depending on your skin type and what products you are accustomed to using, this could be quite drying and cause some initial peeling. I have fair, combination skin and it works well for me - however, my skin is used to these types of products. Also, I apply it only in the oily areas and some nights skip the dry skin - I let my skin be my guide.

Natures Bounty Artichoke 350 mg Standardized Extract Capsules, 100 Count
Natures Bounty Artichoke 350 mg Standardized Extract Capsules, 100 Count
Price: $23.27

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought to have antioxidant and cholesterol lowering properties, September 2, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are medium size capsules containing cynarine, which is derived from the artichoke plant. They are easy to swallow and there is no aftertaste.

I have been adding natural supplements to my diet that have antioxidant and cholesterol lowering properties, such as artichoke. It's difficult to evaluate after only a few weeks whether or not the capsules are having an effect on lowering LDL cholesterol, but I can say they have not caused any side effects.

I am taking these capsules as part of an overall strategy along with a healthy diet plus other vitamins and herbal supplements. When I do choose a product I want it to be from a company I have had previous good experience with, and Nature's Bounty is a company I trust and buy from.

Brookside Dark Chocolate Fruit and Nut Bars, Blueberry with Acai (Pack of 12)
Brookside Dark Chocolate Fruit and Nut Bars, Blueberry with Acai (Pack of 12)
Price: $26.20
3 used & new from $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh, tasty, and chewy - a delicious chocolate snack, August 30, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These dark chocolate bars are delicious. They are fresh, tasty, and chewy. They are a little on the sweet side although not overpoweringly so, but I've been noticing that with many of the snack bars on the market now.

Each bar contains lots of fruits and nuts with a layer of dark chocolate on the bottom. The predominant fruit flavor is blueberry.

While this mostly a healthy snack, it does have a fair amount of fat at 9 grams and contains high fructose corn syrup, an ingredient I try to limit or avoid - although it's not that easy to do. However, the healthy fruit and nuts, 3 g of fiber, and great taste, does outweigh the negative, and I will be adding these to my snack drawer.

DII Oceanique Machine Washable 100% Cotton Ribbed Woven Luxury Spa Bath Rug, 17 x 24", Gray
Price: $10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Soft, plush, and feels great - but quality could be better, August 29, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Oceanique Bath Rug is soft and plush and feels great beneath our feet after stepping out of the shower. It's very absorbent and quickly soaks up any dripping water. And it dried faster than I expected considering the amount of water it absorbed.

I have the gray mat in the 17x24 inch size. The color is true to what is shown on the product page and matches my bathroom decor. However, I find this size is a little too small. It works, but the larger size (21x34) would provide better coverage outside the shower door. (This is not the fault of the mat but mine for guessing on size and not pulling out the tape measure!)

As much as I like the mat, the quality could be a little better. There were a lot of hanging and broken threads and missed loops in the weave. These look like flaws, not like they are part of a pattern, and, while not noticeable when the mat is on the floor, they will in time cause the rug to wear out faster than it should.

Philips Sonicare HX8331/30 Airfloss Pro Rechargeable Electric Flosser
Philips Sonicare HX8331/30 Airfloss Pro Rechargeable Electric Flosser

3.0 out of 5 stars A good option for those who can't (or won't) use floss, August 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am a routine flosser; my husband is not. He finds floss of any kind difficult to use and has given up despite being told it really is necessary for healthy gums. So I jumped at the chance to try the Sonicare Airflosser for him.

This is a nice idea that is working ok, but not as well as I had hoped. It is simple enough to use, but the actual implementation is a bit clunky. It takes a little patience but overall he likes the unit.

It has a small, compact size so he can conveniently leave it out on the vanity shelf. Unfortunately, because of the small size, it doesn't hold a lot of mouthwash and sometimes runs out of liquid before finishing, especially on the triple pulse setting. One problem he is having is the tip doesn't fit well between teeth — it's just a little too large. Also, the tip is not flexible, which makes it more difficult to maneuver.

Perhaps using an airflosser is an acquired skill and takes some time to get better at. On a positive note, he is using it, which means his teeth are getting cleaner; a much better alternative than not flossing at all. Definitely worth trying for those who can't use string floss.

Sundown Naturals Ayurvedic Balance Heart Health Capsules, 90 Count
Sundown Naturals Ayurvedic Balance Heart Health Capsules, 90 Count
Price: $25.42

3.0 out of 5 stars Normal size capsules, no aftertaste, no negative effects, August 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It's difficult to say if these pills are having any effect on cardiovascular health. My husband has high blood pressure and has added this to his diet with the hope that it might lower his numbers. After a month, there has been no significant change, so at this point I am neutral on its effectiveness. However, he will continue taking them a little while longer as positive effects often take a few months to show up.

What I can report is that these capsules did not cause any negative effects. The capsules are normal size, easy to swallow, and have no aftertaste. Each capsule contains 75mg Arjuna Extract. They contain all natural, non-GMO ingredients, are vegetarian, and gluten-free.

The Fold
The Fold
Offered by Audible, Inc. (US)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great narration made this fast-paced scifi thriller fun to listen to (audiobook), August 28, 2015
This review is from: The Fold (Audible Audio Edition)
From outward appearances, nothing about Mike Erikson stands out as unusual. He’s a regular guy teaching at a small town high school, so it seemed odd when he was recruited to investigate the mysterious happenings at a DARPA lab. But Mike has some special abilities; ones that make him uniquely suited to the task, as the scientists at the lab soon discover. His mission: find out what secrets the team is hiding and why the project is taking so long to complete.

The story started out strong. It had all the elements I love about a good science fiction novel. The characters were well-developed and geeky – ie the cranky genius, the trekkie; stereotypical but fun. The plot unfolded at a quick but even pace. The scientific device – a teleportation machine – was made easy to understand and, even though fiction, was one of those devices we would all like to have. That and a time machine!

About two-thirds of the way through the plot makes an abrupt switch to a horror story. Until that point, this was a resounding 5-star read. I have no objection to horror stories; Stephen King is one of my favorite authors. But this turn of events had a silly B-movie feel to it. I was disappointed, but the first half more than made up for it. And the ending left an opening for a sequel.

Even those who don't normally seek out science fiction would enjoy this book – it's more action-packed thriller than scifi.

Audio production:
I read this in audio and print. The audio was performed by Ray Porter who did a fantastic job with the characters and the segues back and forth as the narrator. At first I thought this might be an ensemble production, it was that good. The pacing was quick and he kept the story moving. It was easy to follow and it’s not overly scientific. I recommend the audio to listeners of all levels for its engaging qualities.

Cell Phone Tripod Adapter, Ipow Universal Iphone Tripod Adapter Holder for Iphone 6 Plus 6 5 5c 5s Samsung Galaxy S6 S5 S4 Note 4 Nexus 5 Lg G3 Most Smartphone with Phone Case,2 Pack
Offered by NORTHERN LIGHTS USA INC
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever adapter that's easy to use, August 26, 2015
I often use the video feature on my phone but always handheld. I had no idea this little gadget existed until I was offered a sample to test.

This is actually a set of two adapters. They have rubber grips on the inside to hold the phone safely and securely. One is a spring loaded grip, and the other has a small knob that screws the grip open and closed. Both adapters fit my Samsung Galaxy S4 phone and my tripod. I liked the one with the screw-on grip a little better because it allowed me to easily see what I was videoing through the opening in the back. The one with the spring grip was easier to attach to the phone, but blocked a little more of the screen. Both worked fine and held the phone securely in place.

These adapters are clever and easy to use. And best of all, let me take video with my phone that is not shaky.

[Sample product received for review purposes.]

XEN-TAN Dark Lotion Absolute Luxe Weekly Tan, 8 fl. oz.
XEN-TAN Dark Lotion Absolute Luxe Weekly Tan, 8 fl. oz.
Price: $56.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Natural looking color and no chemical smell, August 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been using sunless tanning products for years, and this is one of the best ones I've tried. My skin tends toward a pasty color which looks awful with skirts and no hose. Most of my experience is with tanning my legs.

My experience with XEN-TAN . . .

Positives:
- Good color - My legs look tan, not orange
- Easy to apply
- Thick, creamy lotion that began tanning instantly
- No awful chemical smell - In fact, very little scent at all
- No greasy feeling or residue
- Lasts a week and fades like a natural tan.

Negatives:
- Pricey - At the higher end of the cost scale of those I've tried.

Correct application of a sunless tanner is a little more complicated than the directions on the tube would make it appear. "Apply to dry skin and blend in" is a little vague and may not produce the desired results. Here's what worked for me. . .

Exfoliate and shave just before applying the lotion. This is important for an even looking tan. Lightly dry skin - a little moisture remaining helps to spread the lotion evenly as it is quite thick. I used the XEN-TAN Deluxe Tanning Mittand applied using a circular motion. It did a nice job keeping my hands clean and was easy to rinse out. Be extra careful on rough areas like knees and ankles at the heel and use sparingly. I did get a bit of orange on one of my heels which I was able to exfoliate off.

I used the XEN-TAN Dark Lotion even though I have fair skin. I have found the lighter shades don't provide as much color.

Lancaster Soft Creme Candy, Vanilla and Caramel, 4 Ounce (Pack of 8)
Lancaster Soft Creme Candy, Vanilla and Caramel, 4 Ounce (Pack of 8)
Price: $14.32
3 used & new from $14.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Soft, creamy, and delicious, August 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These chewy caramels just melted in my mouth. They are individually wrapped so they don't stick together, and didn't stick to the wrapper either. Soft, creamy, and delicious, I could easily eat the whole bag in one sitting, but I saved some for later.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20