Profile for Leslie > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 359

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Leslie RSS Feed (Midwestern USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
BISSELL Prevent Boost Carpet Cleaning Formula Enhancer
BISSELL Prevent Boost Carpet Cleaning Formula Enhancer
Price: $11.31

4.0 out of 5 stars A stain repellant, October 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I treat my carpet with scotchguard in an attempt to repel stains and make cleaning easier. The BISSELL PREVENT BOOST is an additive that works with all carpet cleaners to provide additional anti-staining power. One cupful is added to the cleaning solution allowing the protection to go into the carpet fibers rather than only on top.

I haven't had any spills or stains yet, but I'm hopeful that the boost will be especially helpful in high-traffic areas - like the front door - that often need spot-cleaning.

Biota Botanicals Bioxsine Series Shampoo for Thinning Hair for Normal and Dry Hair, 10.1 Fluid Ounce
Price: $8.49
8 used & new from $6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Thicker but drier hair, October 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been using the Biota Botanicals Shampoo for Thinning Hair for a little over a month and have seen a slight change in the thickness of my hair. It feels a little bit fuller, but that may be because I've had to use a stronger conditioner to keep it soft and fluffy - this shampoo has a drying effect on my hair.

Overall, it's not bad. The fragrance is alright and it makes a nice lather. The shampoo is thick and a very dark brown color. My hair is dyed light brown and it didn't have any effect - good or bad - on my color. I'll continue to use it and see if after another month or so there is any additional thickening. In the meanwhile, if I want fuller-looking hair, I use volumizing mousse and a blow dryer.

Avery Thermal File Folder Labels for Dymo, Seiko and Zebra Printers, White, .56 x 3.43 inches, 130 Labels per Roll, 2 Rolls per Pack for a Total of 260 Labels (4155)
Price: $15.06

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality labels that don't smear or smudge, October 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are high-quality labels that print clean, don't smudge and stick well. They are a good size for file folders, but a little too small for address labels.

They stick so well on file folders that I decided to use them to label on some foil-wrapped packages that I was putting in my freezer. When I removed one of the packets two weeks later the label was still firmly adhered with no smearing, even when wet from defrosting.

Contigo West Loop Tea Infuser Accessory, Greyed Jade
Contigo West Loop Tea Infuser Accessory, Greyed Jade
Price: $9.99
2 used & new from $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy addition to travel mug for tea drinkers, October 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Contigo West Loop Tea Infuser is a nice little addition to my travel mug for those times when I want tea instead of coffee. I prefer loose tea to tea bags and have been using a little mesh strainer to make tea in my travel mug. I also use the mug and infuser at my desk in my home office. The mug keeps the tea warm for hours and saves me from spills.

The infuser is easy to use and clips into the top of the lid allowing the tea to steep on-the-go. It comes with a plastic cap to put the infuser in when it is finished steeping. The cap worked fine - no leaks or messes. The infuser itself is well-constructed with tiny holes so only the smallest amount of tea dust slipped through. Cleanup was easy. I usually wash it by hand, but I tested it in the dishwasher and it survived just fine.

A couple of things to be aware of:
- When adding the water to the mug, leave enough space at the top. The infuser displaces a fair amount of water.
- Use very hot, but not boiling water. The mug has a fantastic seal. The first time I used the infuser my tea wasn't at a drinkable temperature for over a half hour.

DII Cotton Blend, Machine Washable, Hostess Gift, Stocking Stuffer, Chef's or Baking Mrs. Claus Kitchen/Baking Apron for the Holidays
Price: $23.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A cute novelty apron and nice hostess gift for the holidays, October 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Mrs. Claus Kitchen/Baking Apron is a perfect accessory for the holidays. It will add a festive touch at Christmas parties and holiday get-togethers. However, this is not an apron I would wear to do my preparation and cooking, but rather one I would put on just before the guests arrived. This is a novelty apron, not a cook's apron.

Although it is a novelty apron, It fits well, looks good and has a cute ruffle with fake fur. It's nicely constructed with stitched-on trim and buttons, and pretty ribbon ties. This would also make a great hostess gift.

Easy Gourmet: Awesome Recipes Anyone Can Cook
Easy Gourmet: Awesome Recipes Anyone Can Cook
by Stephanie Le
Price: $13.90
51 used & new from $12.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Designed with the busy cook in mind with simple, yet unique, dishes, October 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Easy Gourmet is designed with the busy cook in mind with simple, yet unique, dishes. I admit, I was attracted by the word `easy' in the title because the word `gourmet' usually scares me away. But here I found recipes that even new cooks will appreciate. The easy-to-follow directions are accompanied by full-page, mouth-watering photos. The book is very functional with a binding created so that the pages lie flat - an important feature that way too many cookbook publishers fail to consider.

Each recipe is complete on one page and includes a description, a little background info from the author, a list of ingredients with measurements in english and metric, and step-by-step instructions. The opposite page contains a beautiful, full-color photo of the finished dish.

One caveat: A little planning ahead may be necessary. Not all of the required ingredients will be on your pantry shelf; however, I don't expect to find them there if I am making a gourmet-style dish. Most, though, should be easy to find in major shopping markets. For example, the French Onion Grilled Cheese calls for Gruyère cheese which is not currently in my refrigerator. Many of the dishes call for fresh herbs, micro greens or Arugula, which will need to be obtained shortly before preparing the dish.

The recipes are grouped into sections: Breakfast, Pasta & Rice, Meats, Seafood, Vegetables, Soups & Stews, Sandwiches, Snacks, and Dessert. The book also includes a short introduction by the author plus an alphabetical index in the back.

All-in-all, this is a worthy addition to my kitchen.

For those who want to get an additional peek at the book before buying, the 'Look Inside' feature, above, has a nice selection of breakfast recipe samples, photos and a look at the entire index of recipes.

Tomcat Mouse Killer X (Kid Resistant Refillable Mouse Bait Station w/ 32 Bait Blocks, 0.5oz.) - Not Sold in AK
Price: $11.53

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up and a good defense against mice in the garage, October 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When the evenings get cool, as they have been the past month, mice will venture into the attached garage and occasionally one will slip into the house. If a mouse does get in I set an old fashioned snap trap and usually am successful within a day or two. But there is the threat of more mice getting in and I don't like to leave a snap trap loaded where pets or my toes can get hit with it. That's where the Tomcat Mouse Killer X bait station is handy.

It's easy to set up - just be sure to wear disposable gloves when handling the bait. Flip open the top of the bait station, add a piece of bait, close the cover and put it near a wall where the mice can find it.

Did it work? Probably. After three weeks I haven't had any mice in the house. I haven't found any dead mice in the garage either, but it's fairly easy for them to get back out the way came in. In theory the mice eat the bait and die some time later. I will be leaving the bait station up because I know there are still plenty mice out back.

DII 100% Cotton, Machine Washable Real Tree Flounce Ruffle Apron, Pink
DII 100% Cotton, Machine Washable Real Tree Flounce Ruffle Apron, Pink
Price: $28.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable fabric and a nice fit, October 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Real Tree apron is fitted in the waist and has a cute ruffle at the bottom.The waist ties are long enough to wrap around and tie in the front, or off to the side. The neck ties are also long and tie in the back of the neck instead of using an O-ring, (which I dislike because it never lays flat and always comes undone). The apron is well-constructed and made from a comfortable, medium-weight fabric.

The only thing I don't like are the ties themselves. The ties on the apron in the photo are pink. On the apron I received they are black. They are also very thick, 2 inches thick! At that width they add bulk and the resulting 'bow' at the neck or waist is quite large. And with black ties, they really stand out. One inch would have been more than sufficient to secure the apron to my body. Other than that, the apron has a nice fit, is functional and looks good on me.

A Brief Moment of Weightlessness
A Brief Moment of Weightlessness
by Victoria Fish
Price: $14.99
10 used & new from $14.54

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful glimpse into a slice of life of ordinary people, October 14, 2014
A well-crafted short story can have a strong impact on the reader; A Brief Moment of Weightlessness is that type of collection. It is a slim volume of only 130 pages, but each of these eleven stories offers a powerful glimpse into a slice of life of ordinary people.

I enjoyed all of the stories, but one of my favorites was 'Unleashed'.

In 'Unleashed', Alison, a busy young mother pays a visit to a memory care nursing home as part of a `Pet Visiting Program' with her young son, Thomas, and their dog. As the residents of the home have trouble remembering the details of their lives, or even what day it is, we see in contrast Alison's preoccupation with her own worries and forgetfulness:
- Did I take the chicken out to defrost?
- Did I leave the house unlocked for the cleaning lady?
- How old was Thomas when he took his first step?

Almost in a panic, Alison then imagines her own son struggling as an old man, 80 years from now. When one of the residents insists Alison is her niece, she decides not to argue with the woman's version of reality.

What these stories all have in common is their ability to present serious topics in a thoughtful and genuine manner with rich, elegant prose. It was easy to empathize with many of these characters and to feel emotionally connected, something that doesn't always happen with short stories. Although each story is complete, in the end they will leave the reader wanting more.

Avery 0.625 x 3.5 inches Durable Labels for Kids Gear, Assorted, Pack of 35 (41439)
Price: $7.20
5 used & new from $1.95

4.0 out of 5 stars These labels aren't just for kids and work well on a variety of items, October 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Avery Durable Labels work great on water bottles, plastic food containers and even wrapped around the metal handles on silverware. I use a fine point sharpie, which took a few minutes to dry, but after that it was permanent The labels continued to stick even after multiple runs through the dishwasher. I use the air-dry cycle and that may have helped them stay in good condition, but they are very durable and rip-resistant regardless.

These labels aren't just for kids, although the bright colors are nice and will help younger children easily identify their items. They are also great for labeling my husband's lunch containers and, well, anything that I want identified and returned to me.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20