Profile for Daniel D > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Daniel D RSS Feed

Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures (Raiders of the Lost Ark / Temple of Doom / Last Crusade / Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Harrison Ford
Price: $34.99
62 used & new from $23.79

5.0 out of 5 stars best action series ever, October 12, 2012
Disclaimer...everything I write concerns the first three movies, not Crystal Skull.
This is one the best action/adventure series ever filmed and there can't be many people who disagree with me. It's adrenaline pumped, wall to wall action and had been on my blu-ray bucket list for some time now. I am so glad there weren't any "alterations" ala Star Wars because they were perfect as they were.
Hariison Ford in his heyday was unstoppable and even as most trilogies suffer by the last one, The Last Crusade was the best of the group. Sean Connery;s interplay with Indy was classic. The storyline merged both historical scenery with mythological/religious undertones without stuffing it down your throat.
Even if you own this on DVD, get the blu-ray anyway. Support good movies.

Prometheus (Blu-ray/ DVD + Digital Copy)
Prometheus (Blu-ray/ DVD + Digital Copy)
DVD ~ Noomi Rapace
Price: $4.99
130 used & new from $0.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, October 9, 2012
I could write 5000 words on this movie and still not scratch the surface of its plotlines. Just go out and buy/rent it and be prepared to question what you've thought about humanity's origins.

The Dark Knight Rises
The Dark Knight Rises
DVD ~ Christian Bale
Offered by Perception Products
Price: $5.70
158 used & new from $0.12

3.0 out of 5 stars average, October 9, 2012
This review is from: The Dark Knight Rises (DVD)
I preordered this blu-ray because I own the first two. The Dark Knight was a great movie, but this one failed to capture the excitement of the first one. It felt as though too much story was being forced into it, but none of them were explored enough to make it whole. I mean, Comm Gordon had a bit part basically even though he was s o integral to the first two. Bane was a mess. And there were better villians that could have been utilized. And when he took Gotham hostage, that was so totally unbelievable that it almost made me walk out. I mean, the US let that happen! Months passed! Totally ludicrous.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 10, 2012 5:40 AM PDT

Dark Shadows
Dark Shadows
DVD ~ Johnny Depp
Price: $3.74
183 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars a swing and a miss, October 5, 2012
This review is from: Dark Shadows (DVD)
I know Hollywood is starved for originality, but mining old TV series isn't working and they can't figure it out. In the same vein as A Team, Starsky/Hutch, Dark Shadows disappoints. It failed to capture the macabre, creepy, campy feel of the TV show. I normally love the Depp/Burton collaborations, but this one fell short. I don't recommend buying it. Maybe as a rental if youre tired of watching Avnegers, but otherwise skip it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2012 9:34 PM PDT

The Truth About Love
The Truth About Love
Price: $6.50
129 used & new from $0.43

5.0 out of 5 stars always Pink, October 3, 2012
This review is from: The Truth About Love (Audio CD)
I don't listen to alot of pop music, but I always find Pink's albums to lie so far from the norm that it is barely pop sometimes. I love her attitude and her spunk. I love that she says what she wants to and if you don't like it, then she has a few choice words for you too. I know parents get upset because of the cuss words in her music. But honestly, maybe those parents should police their children a bit more instead of complaining on reviews and blogs. Whether they like it or not, people cuss and sometimes it is justified.
The album tracks are terrific. Probably the weakest one is Blow Me, so if you like that song, you'll like the whole album.

Snow White and the Huntsman (Extended Edition)
Snow White and the Huntsman (Extended Edition)
DVD ~ Kristen Stewart
Price: $4.50
137 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars tired, October 2, 2012
I missed this in the theatre, still enthralled by the spectacle of Avengers and am glad that I did. Kristen Stewart is just so wooden. She acts like she doesn't care about anything, which might've worked for Bella. Chris Hemsworth was all right, playing the strong brute. But the story was justkinda blah for me. If you want a modern retelling of fairy tales, watch Once upon a time. Much more inventive.

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria - PC/Mac
World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria - PC/Mac
Offered by Bookzilla LLC
Price: $5.89
106 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Torn, October 2, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I'm really torn on how to rate this expansion. I enjoy playing the game and have played since 2007. But it seems as though it is becoming a "been there. done that, kinda game. I still enjoy the quests although it takes like a gazillion points to level now. The new raids might be fun once my guild gets enough level 90s geared toons. Still, I know even the raids are just set dressing. Monsters, dungeons and the like with a different face on. Maybe it's just getting too old and had lost its freshness. As I said, I still like to play. It just isn't something I race home to do anymore.

Kiss the Girls (Alex Cross)
Kiss the Girls (Alex Cross)
by James Patterson
Price: $13.28
182 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars late comer to the party, October 1, 2012
Out of pure desperation for new authors, I picked up this book and Along Came A Spider through a used book store. I hadn't seen the movies and I like to read series, especially if I like it.
After completing the second book, I do tend to like the character of Alex Cross, but since there are innumerable reviews already posted, I'll only write what I didn't like about it.
1) Patterson switches from first to third person constantly which confused me until I got used to it
2) The main female protagonists are always seeming to sleep with Alex Cross.

That's it.
For the most part I enjoyed it. It was a quick read, although a bit formulaic. I'll probably pick up the next in the series but if things seem to stay in the mold, I may stop after that.

Time After Time
Time After Time
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Teen Sci-Fi, September 15, 2012
This review is from: Time After Time (Kindle Edition)
I picked up this book on a whim especially since I had never heard of the author before. But, all in all, it was worth the money. There were some rough spots in the text, but nothing so distracting that it took away from the story.
Although this book is classified as science fiction, the only element of sci-fi in it is the time travel. I would have put it as more action/adventure than anything else. The story centers around Bradley, an orphaned teen, who is mysteriously given a watch that lets him travel through time. And at first he uses it just like a teen would. He travels back to different places and different times, watches the moon landing launch, things like that. There is even a side note about a girl he has a crush on and he stops what he is doing to travel back to help her out. Some may think that scene was unnecessary, but it is what a teenage boy in love would do, so I found it applicable.
If I have any complaints about the book, it might be that it is a bit long, even though I read it rather quickly. The story might have been a bit tighter, but after getting through to the end, those pieces that seemed out of place fit into the overall picture.
Either way, I do recommend this for all ages. There's no sex and very little language in it. There are some scary elements and suspense, but nothing too bad. It was well worth the 4 bucks I paid for it.