Profile for Qbananita > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Qbananita "wordsmith" RSS Feed (Upland, CA United States)

Take It to the Queen: A Tale of Hope
Take It to the Queen: A Tale of Hope
by Josephine Nobisso
Price: $15.04
83 used & new from $1.18

3.0 out of 5 stars Falls short of Nobisso's "The Weight of a Mass", May 17, 2010
While my children and I enjoyed this book, it is not at all as captivating as "The Weight of a Mass," Nobisso and Szegedi's other collaboration. I get what they were going for, but the book probably could have used some reworking before publication. The story seems a little disjointed and the illustrations don't quite measure up to those in the other book. Still a nice book, but not as satisfying and magical as I had hoped.

A Handshake From Heaven
A Handshake From Heaven
by Carol S. Bannon
Price: $11.85
44 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids preparing for first Eucharist, May 17, 2010
I read "A Handshake from Heaven" aloud to my son's 2nd grade class at the completion of their First Communion preparation retreat. The children seemed to enjoy it, as did the parents. The religion teacher was very moved by it as well. It's a great way to introduce the idea of "real presence" of Christ in the Eucharist, and encourages children to think of Jesus as their good friend with whom they have a special lifelong relationship. It is wonderful that the book emphasizes the daily opportunity we have to be so close to Christ. All great and wonderful qualities...

So, why the four stars instead of five? Well, I hate to nitpick, but after the kids have been coached over and over on the proper placement of their hands (right under left) for receiving communion, the book's illustration of hands receiving communion shows incorrect form (hands side by side). Why is this important? Because we want to ensure we treat the Eucharist with care and respect and limit the risk of dropping it on the floor or receiving it in some less than solemn way. If I could have given the book 4.5 stars, I would have, but I just couldn't give it five stars when this issue could have been easily avoided by consulting the appropriate resources. Lovely, affecting text, though, and warm, ethereal illustrations. I foresee giving it as a First Communion gift many times in the future.