Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS
Profile for Whizzers Row: The Third > Reviews

Browse

Whizzers Row: Th...'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 139

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Whizzers Row: The Third RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
PALADA Men's T7005G Outdoor Waterproof Sport Quartz LED Light Digital Wrist Watch
Offered by PALADA INC
Price: $23.99
2 used & new from $23.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard to see numbers make this watch basically useless., January 24, 2016
I got the watch because I liked the picture of it. The big bright numbers on the screen looked nice, and the grey on black looked like a nice change of pace from the typical black on grey. I liked the easy to read and understand layout. I want my watch to tell me the time and date, and that's about it. I don't need to have all kinds of complicated details like when my alarm will go off or some visual representation of the second digits just to mix things up.

In the end, there were three things that turned me off of this watch. First off, it looks like the watch has a compass. I should have known better by reading the watches description, but yeah, that's painted on. The watch is really cheaply designed. This is punctuated by the fact that it has two buttons that turn on the night light. Why? Poor design choices, I assume. The instructions that come with it don't even acknowledge one of those buttons exists.

The final thing, and main thing, that killed this for me. The screen is really dark. Yes, it's grey on black, but it looks nothing like the picture. Instead, it's more like looking at an lcd without a backlight. It's not wonder they have two night light buttons, because good luck reading the numbers without them. I'm exaggerating a little, you can see the numbers, but it requires at least a little bit of eye strain to do it.

In the end, I ended up returning it. The return was very painless, they refunded me without asking me to mail it back... but that should give you a hint to how cheap this watch is, it's cheaper for them to let you keep it than pay the $5 for return shipping.

Would not buy again, but the seller is cool by me.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 5, 2016 3:18 AM PDT

Hamilton Beach 58148 Power Elite Multi-Function Blender, Black
Hamilton Beach 58148 Power Elite Multi-Function Blender, Black
Offered by HOUSEWARES
Price: $39.95
44 used & new from $16.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Well, it's a blender that doesn't blend... that about says it all., January 24, 2016
I'm not sure where the good reviews come from for this blender. It's very cheap, so I guess if you put your expectations way down, then it might be okay. Personally, I wanted a new blender in order to make smoothies. I'm not picky, it didn't have to be the smoothest smoothie or anything, it just had to break up what I stuck into it.

Naturally, based on my score, you can imagine that it doesn't do that. I was initially swayed by the picture, consisting of full sized fruit and ice , filled to the top, ready to blend. In reality, at best you'll only be able to throw a couple of prechopped fruit chunks in there at once. If you fill it more than 1/4 full, expect it to not be able to puree. And I'm not talking about leaving a couple of chunks... I'm saying anything else you throw in there will be roughly the same size it was when you tossed it in.

Even working at it with a spoon, desperately trying to shove food down into the blade, you will never get your fruit to mash up. And I'm not even talking about thick fruit here. It can't even get a banana pureed. As far as kale and spinach, don't even try it. If you tried to do something like the picture they give you, the blade will eventually stop up, getting stuck on the thick chunks of ice, and the top 2/3 of the blender jar will be completely untouched, with only the bottom 1/3 showing any action from the blades.

You can have it chop up ice... but it'll have the same problem. It'll only chop the bottom 1/4 layer. It also struggles to function, and you can tell the motor strains. I don't see this blender surviving more than a year or two of light use. Heavy use? Don't even bother.

So what is it good for? I don't know. You could probably mix drinks in there. But mixed drinks is the best I bet you're going to get out of it, as long as you don't mind your strawberry daiquiris with big ice chunks.

How the Dog Became the Dog: From Wolves to Our Best Friends
How the Dog Became the Dog: From Wolves to Our Best Friends
by Mark Derr
Price: $10.67
108 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars A Dry and Hard to Read Narrative on How maybe Dog Wolves ran into humans or humanoid like creatures and maybe became dogs., January 5, 2016
I really wanted to like this book going in. It seemed like something right up my alley as someone with interest in evolutionary genetics. I thought the book would start out by describing exactly what makes a dog a dog. He could have gone into the breeds, talking about the differences in dog size and lineage, describing how that isn't true speciation. Perhaps he could slowly work his way backward from what we 'know' about where the breakoff point for the breeds descended from, and maybe give us a half dozen starting points. Then from there, he could move into the less known. How did dogs serve in ancient cultures, what were the triggers for change, why did those changes occur? Finally, he could move back to wolves, and give us an account of dog wolves, and the conjecture. He COULD have done something like this. He didn't.

Instead, you get a ridiculously dry and overwrought account of a period of time the author himself admits there is no concrete data for. Instead of providing any real information, he simply repeats the same information over and over again, and the repetition in this book becomes insanely tedious. It's not an easy read, often using complex vocabulary for no real point at all. The author makes no attempt to make it accessible to the public, so if you're someone not already familiar with biology vocab, this might be a tough one.

It's also not very engaging. It doesn't provide you with anything interesting, and it doesn't bother to tell a narrative. He states in the beginning of the book that he may use fictitious stories to paint a picture, but the handful of times he jumps into one, it's so jarring and out of place that you can't even see what point he's trying to make. Instead, his stories only function as a way to repeat what he's already said sometimes 2-3 times.

So how did a dog become the dog? His entire book can be summed up with one line. "We don't know, but it probably didn't happen all at once, but gradually and possibly from many different sources, all cross breeding and back breeding throughout history as humans/wolf populations migrated, split up, and merged." That's it. You've read his book. He gives nothing else of insight.

The author was asked to write a book about how the dog became the dog. The author knew the answer to that was complex and uncertain. Rather than creating a narrative telling us what scientists DID know and then coming up with rough estimates, he decided to obsess about specifically answering how the dog became the dog like a scientist (rather than a teacher). That meant his answer was complex and uncertain. It's a book that better show cases what we don't know, rather than what we do know.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2016 4:34 PM PDT

Dynasty Warriors 8 - Xbox 360
Dynasty Warriors 8 - Xbox 360
Offered by MOST WANTED
Price: $27.98
46 used & new from $13.84

3.0 out of 5 stars Dynasty Warriors Fanboy Review, January 4, 2016
Everyone who plays Dynasty Warriors games knows Dynasty Warriors is a bit of a guilty pleasure. There is a certain degree of satisfaction plowing through hundreds and hundreds of enemies, knocking them down with every sweep of your sword... only to hunt down the officers and generals to take them out and demoralize their troops. The B rated cinematics in between are enough to make you groan and smile at the same time.

I, like a lot of others, was taken in by the hype of people attesting it was a "return to the roots" and "the best Dynasty Warriors" in a long time. I've been with Dynasty Warriors since 2 (which is the first one that did the open battle gameplay), and I've watched as each new game came out. The last one I actually enjoyed was Dynasty Warriors 5. (I never got to 4, although I hear that might have been the best).

I eagerly got DW6... only to find the combo attacks completely nerfed to the point that it was essentially a glorified button masher. I got DW7, only to find that coop got the axe this time, and perhaps the most important mod, free mode, was completely absent.

I'm happy to say that come DW8, the combo attacks and mousou are more complex than they have ever been before, supplemented with an elemental rock, paper, scissors weapon mechanic that makes weapon choices and weapon swapping in battle actually important, and a rage mode which gives mosou mode over 5 different attacks. I'm glad to see the "extended" mosou has been returned as mousou rage, allowing you to just keep going and going, laying waste to officers and troops a like.

The game keeps most of what it had from Dynasty Warrior 7. Similar character designs, same voice actors. It won't feel or look much better than Dynasty Warrior 7. The story mode still focuses on families rather than individual characters, and following along with your favorite character no longer exists, as they wane in and out of the story, that is, when they don't die suddenly, leaving you to have to start with a new character in the middle of a story. I felt the story was NOT as strong in 8, depending more on text explanations, than cinematics.

I understand why, from a story writing perspective, they focus on families, but I hate what it does to your characters. It's hard to like a specific character, or level a specific character, because that character doesn't 'stick with you' for the entire game. However, this kind of gameplay can be achieved in the much appreciated 'Ambition' mode, which breaths a lot of life into this game that the story mode does not. Regrettably, to be able to play as the characters you want, and have the maps you want in freestyle mode, you need to beat the game in story mode a few times.

I found the game to be glitchy as well. The soldier pop-ups are the worse I've seen in any Dynasty Warriors game. Ride a horse into an enemy base, and walk around for up to a minute before the soldiers and officer finally pop up. It makes certain matches really difficult. You can clear out a base, only to find a population of 50 soldiers repopping right on top of you.

The story missions are incredibly linear, locking large chunks of the map so that you have to wait for certain triggers before you can continue. Sometimes the map glitches and you find yourself unable to continue the mission. Other times, you'll wonder around aimlessly killing everyone, just to find that one glitched soldier than needed to be killed to open the next portion of the battle. It's tedious, immersion breaking, and frustrating. Long gone are the days where you can just race to the end, kill the main officer, and end the battle in two minutes. At least... in story mode. Ambition mode offers more flexibility, and you can still get away with things like that. Plus, free mode is back, and as good as it ever was.

While a few battles offer innovative or interesting things, most feel cookie cutter. Back in the early Dynasty Warrior days, every map offered something unique. I'd go 'oooh, I want to play the yellow turban rebellion' or 'ooooh, I want to play the one with lu bu!' These days, I couldn't care less. Every battle looks the same. There is nothing that separates the battlefield from battlefield (like unique color schemes and locations). A few might have some events occur, but nothing memorable enough that the name of the battle sticks with me and I want to return to it to redo that fun part.

Along that theme of homogenizing everything, comes the return of Dynasty Warrior 7's everyone can equip every weapon. They've returned a little bit of individuality to each character by giving them a specific "favorite" weapon, which allows them to use one combo absolutely unique to their character, as well as high affinity weapons, which get a damage bonus, encouraging you to select from a handful of weapon types. However, the fact remains that any character can equip any weapon, and rather than taking a character into battle, your taking a different skin.

The worst part of DW7 for me though, is the leveling... or lack there of. The more your play the game, the higher the level your character is. The problem is, every character seems to level, including characters you don't play as. I'm not sure how that works, I think everyone involved in a battle in story mode get the same experience you get? It's one of those problems with using a "family" for story telling instead of individual characters. What does leveling do? I don't really know. I can't say my characters feel all that more powerful. The weapon drops are higher level weapons, which you can then equip on your low level characters to give them a noticeable boost. The same can go for 'skills', which seem to level up by defeating officers in unique ways (while having 2X attack or while in mosou). I've met those conditions dozens of times to see no leveling, only to see them level up suddenly while I'm not fulfilling those conditions, so I don't even know what they mean. Anyway, point being, there feels like no attachment. weapons are random drops, so you can't level those. Skills are leveled independent of characters. And characters all level together like one big happy family. So in the end, there is no individuality. I can't take one character, level her up to max, and feel proud that she's my strongest character. This game just doesn't do that.

So, for the lack of individuality, the lack of innovation in levels, and the horrible popping of bad guys... I take two stars. I'm being really generous here, but DW8 really is an improvement over 6+7. It's sad that they can't seem to add something without taking something else away. From 7 to 8, they removed the skill tree. I loved the skill tree. They should have made it 3X as big, not axed it. This seriously ruined what little leveling the game still had.

Hope my rambling helps you decide if you want this game, or just want to hit up Hyrule Warriors or wait for 9.

NIUTOP 7 Inch Touch Screen Digitizer Glass Panel Replacement (NO LCD Screen) For Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 Kids T2105 Wifi Yellow
Offered by Iparts Outlet
Price: $12.95
5 used & new from $12.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Part replacement as expected., December 11, 2015
My dad ended up smashing my son's tablet under his automatic chair. We replaced the monitor, only to find that upon powering on, the touch screen didn't work. So I bought this. Replacement was easy, now my son's $200 tablet is back to working condition. Works perfectly fine.

The Drunken Botanist
The Drunken Botanist
by Amy Stewart
Price: $13.97
137 used & new from $8.95

3.0 out of 5 stars A mix of all the right stuff, in all the wrong proportions gives this book a bad aftertaste., June 15, 2015
This review is from: The Drunken Botanist (Hardcover)
I really wanted to like this book going in. I wanted to read something light with just enough science to be enjoyable, I was looking for a comprehensive history of alcohols, mixed with the science behind making them... and for the most part, it provides this. However, it's not really structured like a readable book, Instead, as others have mentioned, it's more like a reference guide. If you want to look up a certain alcohol and/or plant, I'm sure you can pick this book up and find all kinds of interesting points, but that's really all it is. It's kind of scattered brained, leaning heavily as a bathroom reader, or a drinker's almanac.

This is most notable when she seems to jump from subject to subject. I'll admit that I listened, rather than read this, as an audio book... so I really don't know how it's structured on a page, but I'm imagining it looking like a factbook or almanac rather than a book or novel. It jumps from subject to subject, and I almost can see it being written like a list of interesting facts... rather than a narrative that actually tries to tell a story. Parts constantly get interrupted with random drink recipes, factoids, and side information, which are cool I guess... for a reference book...

The author can be funny, enlightening, and entertaining at times, but can just as often come off a tinge snobbish. She stresses what the "real alcohols are" to advise you to only drink the good stuff. That can be funny and useful, but just as often it kind of puts me off her book. I want to learn about alcohols. I'm assuming the book is there to inspire and immerse you into the world of alcohol, but instead I find myself more often learning about the culture around alcohol mavens, and I find it distasteful. I quickly get a sense with this book was written for alcohol connoisseurs interested in science, rather than scientists interested in alcohol.

So in the end, it's a book that seems to have all the right parts... interesting content, good research, well written... but it gets mixed up in a bad way. Like one of the recipes in this book, if you don't mix things together right, you end up with a bad drink when you're done.

The $1,000 Genome: The Revolution in DNA Sequencing and the New Era of Personalized Medicine
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $12.99

2.0 out of 5 stars A Dry and Disorganized Take on Corporatization of Biology in the Modern Age, May 29, 2015
The $1000 genome follows the story of the rise of personalized genomes in the advent of the completion of the human genome project. The story starts off sounding almost like a infocommercial. The author explores the best and brightest companies as they try to race towards doing cheaper, better, and more accessible genomes. While I've read plenty of books who've had goals, messages, and heavy handed lectures, this is the first time that I ever felt like I was trying to be sold something. For the first half of this book, it felt like he was pedaling wears, and if he wasn't a spokesperson masquerading as impartial observer, I'd eat my hat. The tone eventually changes in the second half of the book, and starts following the criticisms against genome for money and examines the other side of the spectrum.

Regrettably, that's about the only organization this book provides. Besides that strange distinction of weighing all the good in the beginning and all the bad at the end (if you can even read that far), it offers no form of organization. There are chapters, but they don't flow or have any point. The author chooses to leap around from time point to time point, and since we're only talking about a 5 year period of time, it makes it near impossible to follow.

There is no linear thought process to the book. It's just a splattering of everything that went through the authors mind. I'm sure in his brain, he saw a natural progression of reasoning about why he'd start talking about this company, jump to this company from 2 years prior, then move over to this event that happen around the same time, before leaping to a backstory about some guys aunt, but when it hits paper, it just becomes a confusing muddle of stuff.

This causes it to be very difficult to understand the subject of the book. Some companies are using snp genotyping and only looking at variances, some are doing whole genome, some are doing something else. And he tries to lump these companies together, but he's never terribly clear about who is doing what, when. So what you end up with is a hodgepodge of information that doesn't connect. Discussing a company from 2008 who is doing whole genome work and then another company in 2007 doing snp genotyping and honestly I can't draw the comparison when mentioned 200 pages away from each other.

If he had just organized the data in a logical manner, told a story, even just a story per chapter, it would have been something. Instead it felt like a pollack painting. He just chucked stuff at the canvas until he had the equivalent of art... then broke it into chapters because that's what you're supposed to do.

It has one or two okay points, but 100 pages in I was just waiting for the end. Did we even reach a $1000 genome? I can't even answer that question. He mentioned a genome getting down to $990, but then he states that that's just the cost of reagents, and that prices may differ for whole sale or the individual once you include overhead costs. Plus, this $990 genome may just be a SNP genotype looking for certain diseases, not a whole genome. The company that reached $990 is not mentioned in the end, it was mentioned in the beginning, and he doesn't tie this company to the end of the story. In the end, that's what gives this story 2 stars. When you write a book called $1000 genome and can't even answer that question, it has problems.

What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions
What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions
by Randall Munroe
Price: $14.40
375 used & new from $6.24

4.0 out of 5 stars If a theoretical physicist became a Mythbuster, April 11, 2015
This is my first experience with anything Munroe has ever done, so I don't have the rose colored goggles of having become fond of his comics and being eager to read his work. So if there are inside jokes, idioms, and humor that you'd only really get if you "get" Munroe, then I'm not in that crowd. Instead, I stumbled on this book while looking for informative science books to read.

I found the book to be quite enjoyable. It naturally has no real organization. There is no real ending or beginning. Munroe doesn't attempt to tie his online work into a narrative. Instead, it's just a series of random what if questions he has been asked over the last few years followed by the answers he came up with. As I understand, the answers are already online in one form or another, perhaps with a few random tidbits added in. So for free, you could probably scan through Munroe's archives and get the same thing you'd get out of this book.One of the odder things that were never fixed include website links, which terribly date the book. In that way, the book feels like if someone printed out their favorite wikipedia topics and then compiled it into a book, which according to this book, is something that has been done.

Munroe approaches most of the physics questions as a comedian first, and a physicist second. He's very selective about what he "feels like" answering. He includes numerous "weird and worrying" questions where he answers the questions with smart arse remarks. (Many with the same remark, "I need to know by Friday" doesn't get funnier the third time you apply it to a different question). On that note, "citation needed" was funny the first two or three times, but by the eighth or ninth time he recycles that joke, it's kind of annoying. Anyway, the point being, he'll answer some truly strange what if questions, then precede to not answer some perfectly acceptable questions that he deemed "weird", and you never really know which is which or why.

Plus, some questions he'll answer really half arsed, which I translate as days where he really just didn't feel like doing a what if. You'd think if he was publishing a book on the subject, he'd go back and fix up some of those answers, but that's part of what makes it feel like a wikipedia print-out. Some questions will be answered fervently. Some he will skip big parts of. He makes a habit of going off on sometimes amusing tangents that clearly had nothing to do with the questions asked. He also tends to avoid answering questions that he feels can be answered easy with a google search.

In the end, he's to theoretical physicists what the Mythbusters are to the rest of science. It "looks" like science to the untrained eye, but in the end it's mostly just garbledegook with enough pseudo-science thrown in that most of what he says sounds reasonable to most people (even scientists). That's not to say it isn't entertaining, I thought it was quite entertaining, and I reflect that in my four star rating, but it's not much more than that. This isn't a book that will leave you thinking days, or even minutes after finishing it. Like some mentioned, it's a bathroom reader.

Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries
Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries
by Neil deGrasse Tyson
Price: $10.64
98 used & new from $6.30

3.0 out of 5 stars A repetitive story with little structure, but some interesting insights, April 9, 2015
I am a biology pHD and I've always found astronomy and astrophysics to be an interesting subject that I explore for fun. I've been reading a lot of science books lately, and the last few have been physics based. I found this book to be a fairly easy read. It never gets too specific or too difficult to understand for someone who is only brushing the surface of this field. It's definitely a good "introduction" to astrophysics as a concept (although it doesn't give you a feel on what it's like to be an astrophysicist) , so I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to start looking at astrophysics more.

The book itself is an assembly of previous publications, essays, and other pet projects Neil wrote. As a result, the chapters don't really have an overall arching structure or design. Each chapter is a random, self-serving subject, with an ultimate point into and of itself.

This wouldn't be a problem so much if that didn't result in the book needlessly and frequently repeating itself. Not only does NDT feel the need to repeat himself many times with subjects within the same chapter (usually with him stated "And to repeat myself"), but since each chapter was written independent of any other chapter, he will regurgitate explanations he's already given in some cases as many as four times. So similar are some of these sections that I often became confused and convinced that I was on the wrong page and rereading a portion of the book I'd already read.

There for, you'll hear NDT's "mantras" repeated again and again as well, and you'll quickly get a sense of what is important to him and what isn't. This is fine, but if you're like me you'll quickly get a sense that NDT is a tad condescending and bit conceited. One part that comes to mind was when he recited the joke "what is heavier, a ton of feathers or a ton of lead?" He was only 8 or so when he heard this joke, but he felt the need to tell us that he, as a little kid in elementary school, apparently didn't fall for it. So great a physicist in NDT that he figured out the joke upon it's first recitation before he even knew what physics was.

It's little things like this that bugged me throughout the entire book. The book is full of snide comments and condescension sometimes veiled as "jokes" scattered throughout. In fact, of the some 10 books I've read in the last few months, this one probably had me laughing the least, and some of those books were about some pretty heavy topics like cancer. Then, NDT completely jumps the shark near the end of the book when he goes on a tirade about "scientific misfacts". Many of these complaints aren't more than a commentary on how expressions, like "the sun setting in the west" and "north pole" aren't scientifically perfectly accurate. Apparently, since the sun rarely sets exactly in compass west, saying the sun sets in the west is a grievous sin. In these cases, NDT completely fails to realize what generalizations and expressions are. This might be forgivable, if NDT himself wasn't prone to making numerous inaccurate statements himself, such as when he claims sharks "want to eat you" and parasites "drink your fluids". If you're going to be pompous and demand statements be perfectly representative of reality, then you better treat your own writing with the same care.

Of course, the book isn't bad. I was mostly entertained (if not amused) through most of it. Very little of the science it mentions is more/different than what I've already seen in discovery channel documentaries or heard in astronomy 101 back in high school, so I can't say it really gave me insight into anything new. However, it was a nice refresher and made a few insightful or interesting points. I particularly liked his assessment on newspapers declaring "scientists are baffled!" I've never thought of it before, but he's absolutely right. Too much of the public see scientists as bastions of knowledge, but the entire point of science is to find things you are baffled about, and then work on solving them. If you didn't do that, you wouldn't be a scientist.

So, all in all, I enjoyed the book for what it was. It isn't a great science book, but it isn't bad either. That left it with 3 stars for me.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 21, 2016 4:23 AM PST

Zizo Alcatel One Touch Evolve 2 4037T UCASE Cover with Kickstand and Screen Installed - Retail Packaging - Black
Price: $6.00
3 used & new from $2.71

5.0 out of 5 stars The case works for me., April 8, 2015
For the price and ability of this phone case, I was very satisfied. It looks as pictured, including holes for all the various speakers, cameras, and plugs. It doesn't put an obnoxious flap over the power port and it is as well built as any otterbox. It includes a "hard" screen cover, versus the sticky ones. This may cause the loss of some sensitivity to touch, but I haven't noticed it as a problem. It's a strong case and I feel like my phone is safe and protected in it. Even though my phone was only $40 in the first place, it's still nice to know it's not going to get scrapped up and destroyed in my pocket, or cracked the next time I drop it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14