Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS
Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Browse

Amazon Customer's Profile

Customer Reviews: 140

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer RSS Feed (Washington DC)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Honey-Can-Do DRY-01610 Heavy Duty Gullwing Drying Rack, White
Honey-Can-Do DRY-01610 Heavy Duty Gullwing Drying Rack, White
Price: $27.72
99 used & new from $26.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Hardly Heavy Duty, December 5, 2014
I wouldn't go so far as to call this "heavy duty." It's rather flimsy. The metal is bendy and the joints are plastic or cheaply made (basically holes that the metal ends pop in to). Still, it would be a decent buy, except one of little levers that keep the gullwings up came bent out of shape and would not bend back into shape, and now keeps popping out of it's socket. Considering it's size, it also does not hold very much laundry. Don't be fooled by the "shoe rack" and lower drying rack. Those are fairly useless.

Muttluks Fleece Lined Dog Boots, Red, Itty Bitty, Set of 4
Muttluks Fleece Lined Dog Boots, Red, Itty Bitty, Set of 4
Price: $15.86
14 used & new from $15.86

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor fit, bad for dewclaws, November 29, 2013
Poorly designed, especially if your dog has fluffy feet and dew claws. The construction is sturdy, but the opening to the shoe part is very narrow and does not stretch at all. The stocking part is super long. The actually paw part was huge once I managed to get one shoved on to her. Maybe the design works better for larger dogs, but it didn't work at all for my tiny fluffy lap dog.

Bottom line: Wouldn't fit my dog's paws.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 4, 2014 2:02 PM PST

Richell Tall One-Touch Pet Gate
Richell Tall One-Touch Pet Gate

1.0 out of 5 stars POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS FOR DOGS, November 29, 2013
My dog is an escape artist. I purchased this gate as it seemed like one of the few touch open gates with bars narrow enough to keep my dog (approximately 7 lbs) from squeezing through but tall enough for her not to climb or jump over. What I didn't count on was how poorly the wood would hold up to her chewing. Nor did I consider the dangers presented by a wooden object there for her to chew on while I'm at work. The wood is hard, but it splinters into pieces big enough to cause bowel obstructions. My dog ate a couple of them, and ended up with a partial bowel obstruction that required vet intervention to keep from turning into something worse. We had a anxious day or two where we didn't know if she was going to require surgery or if, even worse, the splinters might have pierced her innards.

Keep in mind, my dog is a tiny terrier type. She managed to chew about 1/4 through the bar in a couple days. A larger dog would probably make short work of them. Besides being dangerous, I'd say that alone makes this gate NOT worth the $100+ they're asking for it.

Though, honestly, if you have a dog that's fond of chewing and swallowing foreign objects, I would avoid this gate at any price.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2015 8:12 PM PST

3M Privacy Filter for Widescreen Laptop 15.6" (PF156W9B)
3M Privacy Filter for Widescreen Laptop 15.6" (PF156W9B)
Offered by Advance Print
Price: $34.00
66 used & new from $20.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Nothing, June 30, 2013
I do a lot of confidential work, and wanted a screen for my laptop to keep nosy people from trying to get a glimpse of it. The 3M filter seemed the most highly recommended, and frankly it's better than nothing. If someone is sitting next to you, they won't be able to see your screen without leaning over. However, if someone is sitting behind you (even at an angle), they can see absolutely everything. The filter really does only filters out people who are sitting at a 30 degree angle or more from your screen.

Other negatives: the filter makes my screen quite dark. I think the filter would also work better with a matte surface. The screen kept sticking to my high gloss screen in patches that basically looked like air bubbles under a sticky screen cover, except the screen isn't sticky.

Positives: If someone is sitting at the right angle away from you, it does work very well. My friends and I tried it, and it really does look like you're just typing on a black screen, or a very, very darkened and blurry screen. The filter is a solid piece of plastic that can be slid in and out of a sort of cradle created by the sticky plastic tabs. This lets me clean around the edges, and take out the screen to clean it every once in a while.

Fender MC-1 3/4 Nylon Acoustic Guitar - Natural
Fender MC-1 3/4 Nylon Acoustic Guitar - Natural
Price: $129.99
16 used & new from $129.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Guitar, September 29, 2012
I'm short with small hands. Full size guitars are uncomfortable for me, but I haven't really liked the sound of 3/4 guitars. That is until I tried the Fender MC-1 at my local guitar store the other day. I bought it on the spot! The sound is great. Very mellow and rich, and not at all horrible like the 3/4 sizes usually sound. The smaller body fits perfectly under my arm without hurting my shoulder too.

The only complaint I have is that the strings are really close together. But, te smaller fret board makes it easier for me to make chords, so it's a give and take.

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers  (Graphite)
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers (Graphite)
17 used & new from $22.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Product Horrible Support, April 12, 2012
First, let me just put this out there: this is the third Kindle I've owned. I'm a die-hard ebook reader. I've used the Nook, palm pilots, iphones & ipads, and by far the Kindle has been the most suited to my needs, when it works. It's lightweight, this generation is the lightest yet, and easy to use 1 handed. Amazon whispernet delivery also ensures that you can download books as soon as you buy them, which is great for me because I have little to no patience. Those are the good points. The price is lower than it has been in the past, particularly if you get the ads.

The Bad:

Poor quality control/materials -- Mine had a chip on one of page turning buttons and a bit of a dent on the botton of the frame. The main control buttons also didn't "spring back" to their original positions but remained a bit lopsided after less than a day of use. It seems to me that this isn't very promising in terms of their long term durability.

There's no real improvement in the technology from the old models, other than size and weight. The page loading still lags, there's still a "shadow" from past pages unless you choose the refresh page option (which will add to the loading lag), the web browser function is fairly useless, and the battery life is nowhere near 2 months with the WiFi on (it'll last a week with regular use, at best).

My biggest problem with the newest generation of Amazon's Kindle? They don't come with a power adapter!!! Some people may say this is not a big deal since it is a USB port and can be "charged" using your computer (or you can buy the kindle power adapters for, I believe, $14.99). However, I think this is ridiculous. I like to read in bed, and while the Kindle has excellent initial battery life, I've noticed that the batteries don't last long. After about a 6 months to a year of regular use, they don't hold a charge like they used to. So, I usually end up charging my Kindle while I'm reading in bed (just so it doesn't shut off while I'm reading a chapter). Of course, now Amazon would like me to pay extra for that privilege, even with the $139 Kindle touch... well, it just makes me grouchy... and let's be honest, at this point, there are so many options for things I can use to read with (many of which can be used for other purposes than just reading ebooks) that Amazon making me grouchy is going to lead me to simply return this and use a different product.

My second biggest problem with the Kindle is their customer support. The techs do not know what they are doing. They try to solve your problems by offering the same advice that you can get from the Amazon "help" section. Most of their "troubleshooting" involves asking you to turn your Kindle on and off (soft reset then hard reset). I couldn't delete my ebooks out of my archive, the customer service folks couldn't get them to delete, and after over an hour on the phone (most of it spent waiting). They finally just told me they'd need to take my information and someone would have to get back to me and no, they weren't sure they could fix it. Seriously?

Anyway, long review short, my final verdict is: I'm returning this Kindle. The lack of thought regarding customer needs evidenced by Amazon's decision to not include a power adapter, poor customer support, combined with a lack of real practical use in any context outside of reading books is probably going to make this the last Kindle I bother to purchase too unless, Amazon drastically improves their product/service/price per book, etc.

At Long Last Leave
At Long Last Leave
DVD
Price: $1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars 500 Episodes!!, February 20, 2012
I thought this was worth the purchase price for the opening credits alone. They do a montage of (I assume) all 500 Simpson's opening couch scenes. I didn't actually count them, but it was pretty neat to see, because I remembered some and didn't recall others. Plus, you get to see the evolution of the animation style between the original Simpsons to the Simpsons today.

The actual episode, on the other hand, I found to be ok. Nothing made me really laugh, but nothing made me cringe inside either. Watchable, but I wouldn't say super spectacular. The sign at the end did make me smirk though.

Betty Crocker Warm Delight Minis - Molten Chocolate Cake, 2.46 oz, 9 Pack
Betty Crocker Warm Delight Minis - Molten Chocolate Cake, 2.46 oz, 9 Pack
Price: $23.58
9 used & new from $23.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Death of My Diet, February 16, 2012
I know other reviews have stated the Warm Delight Minis have been diet savers (due to the portion control). NOT FOR ME. These things are delicious little cups of fudgy goodness, and I've found I have very little in the way of self-control when it comes to them. I bought a bunch of the molten chocolate and the caramel cakes, and with all that sweet deliciousness stacked in my cupboard, I was eating a dessert after every meal.

However, the size is perfect for a single-serving dessert. I've found that I would get sick of eating the bigger warm delights, because I would start to find them too sweet and sticky about half-way through, and throw away a good portion (they're really not as good when they're cold). So, these Minis are perfect... at this size, you don't get sick of having too much of something overly-sweet, but you still get a nice chocolate dessert.

Digital Egg Incubator Rcom Mini
Digital Egg Incubator Rcom Mini
2 used & new from $117.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Arrived Broken, February 7, 2012
I've seen a few reviews stating that this incubator breaks easily. Well, I have to concur. The little plastic part that's supposed to cover the water tank arrived broken (it comes loose, and looks like one of the plastic pieces in the back broke off).

On the upside, the rest of the incubator seems to be in working order. It was very easy to operate (you push a button until a chicken pops up on the screen, then hit the OK button until the light inside the incubator switches on), and came with clear instructions. It's a set it and forget it sort of deal, except for making sure there's sufficient water. But, really, I'll have to reserve judgment on whether this incubator really works or not for about 22 days.

UPDATE: I had 3 chicken eggs inside the machine. I'm down to 2, because one of the eggs wasn't developing at all so I took it out. The other 2 seem to be progressing normally, but I'm a little worried that the incubator is too humid. The air pockets are a bit smaller than I like seeing inside the egg at this stage and the machine's lid constantly has condensation. I wipe it every time I candle the eggs, but I'm worried that the water will drip all over the eggs. I don't know if this is normal for the machine or not, but I've never seen this sort of humidity in any other incubator until AFTER the chicks hatch and they sit around trying to dry out.

Otherwise, the machine appears to be working fine. However, it makes a beeping sound before it rotates the eggs and the sound is LOUD and frankly very annoying. There's no way to turn it off. It happens EVERY SINGLE HOUR, so I would not recommend having this in or near your bedroom if you're a light sleeper.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2012 9:31 PM PDT

The Best of Korean Cuisine
The Best of Korean Cuisine
Price: $9.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible., January 30, 2012
"Food is the soul of every culture and in Korean cuisine, 'Seoul' takes on a double meaning." Really, that about sums up the quality, accuracy, and cultural awareness you can expect to find in this book. (Seoul is pronounced "soul" like champagne is pronounced "champ-pag-nuh").

Now, I cook a lot. Specifically, I cook a lot of Korean food. I do not know where this person got the recipes for her book, but I'm willing to bet my favorite rice cooker that 1) she hasn't eaten a whole lot of Korean food, and 2) she never learned to cook from a Korean person.

As stated in some of the other reviews, a few of the recipes are unworkable. Others feature food that is definitely not what I would call "the Best" of Korean cuisine, or even Korean cuisine at all. Logans and bananas, for example, are not Korean and cilantro is NOT a Korean spice (it was never grown in Korea and many Korean people actually dislike the taste). The cookbook also says nothing about the fundamentals of Korean cooking (an in Korean cooking you have to know how to balance ingredients that bring out certain tastes like sweet, salty, and umame), which makes the cookbook completely ineffectual because many Korean dishes are notoriously difficult to cook unless you have either extremely accurate recipes or know exactly how it's supposed to taste. If she learned to cook from a Korean person, they would have told her this. And, as someone who cooks Korean food, I can tell you the recipes are not accurate. If the author had eaten a lot of Korean food, she would have known this the minute she tried the recipes (well, assuming she tried the recipes).

The author also tries to interject some history and cultural knowledge into the book, but the author does not seem to understand the difference or just doesn't know there is a difference between ancient Korean traditions and modern customs. It sort of reminded me of those old encyclopedia entries about foreign countries. You know, before Wikipedia gave people from those countries a chance to edit the information to be more modern and correct?

Anyway, to sum up this super long review: at best (and being kind), I would call this an Americanized Korean cook book assembled by a writer who, maybe, interviewed a couple Korean people she happened to know, with recipes from who knows where.

Now, if you're looking for actual information on Korean history and Korean culture, I would suggest reading something like "Korea's Place in the Sun" by Bruce Cumings. Similarly, if you're looking for a good Korean cookbook, I would definitely suggest looking elsewhere as well (might want to start by typing the words "maangchi" & "recipes" into your favorite search engine.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14