Profile for Jordan > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jordan RSS Feed (Fairbanks, AK United States)

Mennonite Girls Can Cook
Mennonite Girls Can Cook
by Lovella Schellenberg
Price: $19.43
39 used & new from $11.89

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic cookbook with mix of modern and classic recipes, August 19, 2012
This cookbook is amazing! There are beautiful photos of every meal and a great mix of recipes, classic and modern, for every course. There are nice personal notes on many of the recipes describing why they are special and nice bios of each author. This book is warm and authentic and has dozens of recipes that I am excited to try. The instructions are clear and easy to follow. I'll be ordering another copy for my mom!

Marshmallow Madness!: Dozens of Puffalicious Recipes
Marshmallow Madness!: Dozens of Puffalicious Recipes
by Shauna Sever
Price: $11.43
82 used & new from $4.71

5.0 out of 5 stars thorough and easy-to-follow marshmallow guide, June 10, 2012
I've made two recipes so far, the marshmallow creme and the blackberry marshmallows. Both worked perfectly the first time (I had only made homemade marshmallows once before, so I am not an expert). The author's instructions are well-detailed, covering little tips (eg, what speed to use on your kitchenaid) and anticipating common problems. She stays concise though, so the recipe is easy to refer to when you are holding a 240 degree pot of boiling syrup and aren't sure what to do next.... The recipes included are a wide variety, with tons of flavors, shapes (eg, layered or braided mallows) and some unique variations (eg, french-style egg white mallows and vegan mallows). I do not envision ever needing another book on marshmallows and am confident that I can make pretty much any type of mallow with this cookbook.

Whoopie Pies : Dozens of Mix 'em, Match 'em, Eat 'em Up Recipes
Whoopie Pies : Dozens of Mix 'em, Match 'em, Eat 'em Up Recipes
by Sarah Billingsley
Price: $14.47
169 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars great variety of recipes that work well, September 8, 2011
My family has been making whoopie pies (we call them gobs in southwest PA) since at least the Great Depression, so whoopie pies are not a new phenomenon to me. I dislike most of the other whoopie pie cookbooks out there right now, as most are more bandwagon-ish and have a pretty loose understanding of what a whoopie pie is. But, these authors grew up with whoopie pies and seem to have a great deal of respect for them, rather than treating them as the next Food Network special.

I've tried a number of the non-chocolate cake recipes so far (chocolate chip, pumpkin, gingerbread, graham, etc) and all have been tasty and easy to prepare. Ditto the fillings (I've tried various chocolate and cream fillings); although I still prefer my grandmother's recipe these hold up well. Some of their suggested cake and filling combinations are great, for example the smores whoopie (graham cake with chocolate ganache and marshmallow fluff fillings). While some of their recipes are far too trendy to be appetizing or enduring (e.g., jalapeno cornbread cakes), the book as a whole is a great distillation of whoopie pies and is a great addition to any baker's bookshelf.