Profile for A. J. Fontova > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A. J. Fontova RSS Feed

The Authentic Life: Zen Wisdom for Living Free from Complacency and Fear
The Authentic Life: Zen Wisdom for Living Free from Complacency and Fear
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, June 23, 2014
This is a really good book providing a practical approach to applying Zen practice to your life. I like that his language very straightforward, and simple to understand. The practices he outlines in the book come from his life and experiences which brings honesty to the book making it very compelling. I have read all of Mr. Bayda’s books; this one continues and builds upon his previous work- Highly recommended!

Untrain Your Parrot: And Other No-nonsense Instructions on the Path of Zen
Untrain Your Parrot: And Other No-nonsense Instructions on the Path of Zen
by Elizabeth Hamilton
Price: $12.60
102 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book on zen...., September 12, 2012
I have just started reading this book a second time, after finishing the book last year. This is a very good book on zen practice. This book reminds me of lab notes in a way, of how you can go about conducting an experiment via zen. It is very much about zen practice itself, much less a description of or a discussion of what zen is. I like that this book made me uncomfortable at times, asking me what is important in my life, how I'm living it. I like that this presentation of zen practice is different, the angle of approach is atypical of what you usually read with the tone balancing nicely between light heartedness along with the gravity the subject demands. Lastly, like other zen books that have come out of San Diego, this is zen presented with a very `blue collar', `matte finish' versus `glossier' presentations of zen, like the old texts for example, with their verbal conundrums, which can be spiritually delicious but aside from creating some level of aspiration, haven't been as productive for me as the techniques discussed in this book.

Listen To Me
Listen To Me
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Listen to this record!, March 18, 2011
This review is from: Listen To Me (MP3 Music)
This is a beautiful record all around! The melodies, lyrics, and the melancholic texture of the vocals are just wonderful. Of course I love the contrast of this record being 95% acoustic versus the fuzz driven sounds of Dinosaur Jr (kind of like Neil Young and Crazy Horse) but wow this record sounds so fresh and has that urgency,and intensity that makes a record special.

Smoke Ring For My Halo (Amazon Exclusive Version)
Smoke Ring For My Halo (Amazon Exclusive Version)
Price: $9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, March 18, 2011
I'm always amazed at how American roots music can be spun into something that sounds fresh, genuine, and conveys emotion so well. This is a very good record, give it a spin.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 18, 2011 10:28 PM PDT

Zen Heart: Simple Advice for Living with Mindfulness and Compassion
Zen Heart: Simple Advice for Living with Mindfulness and Compassion
by Ezra Bayda
36 used & new from $2.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book on Zen, January 6, 2009
This is a very good book. Ezra has the gift of clearly and simply explaining his approach to Zen and how it can be put into practice by the reader. He says just enough about each topic without going into overly long explanations. As with his other books, I believe this book is one I will continue to go back to and read again over the years to come.