Profile for Dan O. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dan O. RSS Feed (Los Angeles, CA)

Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar Home Theater System with Wireless Subwoofer (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by superior sales
Price: $339.95
7 used & new from $178.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the average room, September 27, 2011
Purchased earlier this week, I am blown away by the latest gen Sony soundbar. I admit, I was apprehensive when I purchased it because there are so many soundbars to choose from. I did my homework and read reviews of all of them and listened to a few (including the Bose and Samsung). I decided on the Sony because of the technology, sound and value.

Technology: It has it all - wireless subwoofer, enough HDMI ports to connect all your devices, 3D compatibility and even an FM tuner. The FM tuner works amazingly and comes in very clear. Moreover, you can perset up to 20 stations and even name them. The soundbar works flawlessly with the TV apps (I have a smart TV with apps) and connecting my iphone is a breeze. Note - iphone control is manual (no iphone dock available) but it works fine with the soundbar. None of my other wifi enabled devices (including internet) were impacted by the soundbar - which I read could happen with other soundbars like the harmon kardon SB16.

Sound: Out of the box the soundbar sounded very good but I wasn't blown away. It sounded like I expected. But once I changed the presets it sounds fantastic. Read the manual and change the presets! It took me 10-15 minutes to figure it out. Turn the presets all the way up +6 for bass, subwoofer and center channel (only these three options can be changed) and be ready to love what you hear. I don't dare to turn the volume up to the max because it's too loud! The bass shakes the room (12 x 18 feet) and if I do turn up the volume when listening to music or a movie I actually turn the bass and subwoofer presets down. There are also multiple sound channels including movie, drama, sports, news and music which work very well.

Value: For $329 on Amazon including free shipping you can't beat it. Some soundbars sound better (Harmon Kardon SB16) but lack the technology and some may be cheaper but you get for what you pay for. I plan to enjoy this system for years to come.

Other info: Be sure to use the high speed HDMI cables (version 1.4) which cost about $10 bucks each on amazon. The FM tuner won't work as well if you don't unravel the antenna wire. You may not want to because it looks neater all wrapped up out of the box but it makes a huge difference (may be why some complain the FM tuner is useless). Read the manual to learn how to name the FM stations. You must plug the two wireless adapters into the subwoofer and receiver for it to work (sounds obvious but I've read posts complaining the wireless system doesn't work). And please change the presets - don't judge the system until after you do so.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 20, 2012 11:43 AM PDT