Profile for The Rizzler > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

The Rizzler RSS Feed (Virginia)

Calculus On Manifolds: A Modern Approach To Classical Theorems Of Advanced Calculus
by Michael Spivak
Price: $52.25
69 used & new from $24.92

3.0 out of 5 stars newspaper quality, July 17, 2010
I'm giving this review not so much to discuss the contents of the book, which I think is very good and would give *****, but the production quality of this edition which is truly appalling. As an undergraduate I used the first edition (OK, I admit I'm retired) which was on nice semi-glossy paper with crisp printing and figures. This edition from Westview Press looks like it was faxed onto newsprint. The earlier edition is virtually impossible to find so you are probably stuck with this one. If however you can get the earlier one, it is worth paying extra to buy a book and not something that looks like a newspaper flyer.

3,000 Solved Problems in Physics (Schaum's Solved Problems) (Schaum's Solved Problems Series)
by Alvin Halpern
62 used & new from $4.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally good, April 15, 2008
I'm a retired physicist and bought this book so I could pick out good problems for my daughter to solve as an adjunct to her high school textbook. It often happens that if you "get" a concept one or two problems is enough practice but when you're having trouble its nice to have many, many problems (and see the solutions) on a particular topic to work on until the concept "clicks". This book is perfect in that regard. I was also pleased that many of the problems go well beyond plug and pray. Last but not least, the solutions are CORRECT (I've yet to encounter an error).

The one criticism I would make is there is a tendency to have several sequential problems depend on the prior problem. Thus, if problem 8.47 looks interesting you might find that you have to first solve 8.45 and 8.46 before attempting it. Minor point....

I also bought Schaum's 3000 Calculus problems and found it to be just as good.
3,000 Solved Problems in Calculus

Plan Your Estate: Everything You Need to Know to Protect Your Loved Ones, Property & Finances
by Denis Clifford
61 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Nearly useless if you have retirement accounts, February 14, 2007
I bought this book prior to seeing an attorney to set up a will/trust so that I would be reasonably knowledgeable about the issues to consider before the meter started running. In particular, I, like many others have much of my net worth in IRAs and other tax advantaged retirement accounts and was concerned about how best to pass on these accounts. To my utter astonishment (and disgust), this book for all practical purposes provides no help with IRAs, 401Ks, etc. For heavens sake, after a home, retirement accounts are the major assets of most people and an estate planning book of 443 pages ought to be able to squeeze in basic advice on this topic.

Actually, I'm exagerating; they do provide two pieces of advice on IRAs. Their advice on page 179 is to buy a separate book from Nolo Press (whose title I will NOT cite) and on page 181 they suggest you download publications 560 and 590 from the IRS. Gee thanks. You don't suppose they intentionally omitted retirement accounts so you'd have to buy another one of their publications? Could I be getting cynical in my old age?

If you don't have IRAs this book is pretty good (reason for two stars), otherwise you 're flying blind.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 22, 2009 10:43 AM PDT

In the Wake of the Plague: The Black Death and the World It Made
In the Wake of the Plague: The Black Death and the World It Made
by Norman F. Cantor
135 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars This book could serve as a rubric for bad writing, December 27, 2005
Let me start by quoting an example of Cantor's (shudder) prose from page 13:

"Even if this were true, which is not likely, it would not account for the disappearance of the plague, because the disease can be carried by any rodent and, today's scientists believe, by cats, of which there were plenty in the eighteenth century."

Now there technically isn't anything wrong with this sentence apart from an irritatingly clunky style combined with punctuation to set your teeth on edge. The trouble is the book goes on and on like this with sentences that make you wonder if English is Cantor's second language.

You also get baffling assertions like (page 17):

"The diachronic is the historical narrative, horizontally developing through time: "Tell me a story."

...

Today, however, we have scientific -- or synchronic -- means of analysis."

Huh? Do historians really use diachronic and synchronic in this way? And pray, what is "horizontally developing through time"?

The most important piece of advice I can give is don't let children see this book: it will corrupt their writing skills.

The New History of the World
The New History of the World
by J. M. Roberts
34 used & new from $5.19

2.0 out of 5 stars new edition has terrible production quality, October 29, 2005
I've owned the 1993 edition for many years but a recent roof leak ruined my copy so I ordered the new edition. Big mistake: the contents are excellent but the fourth edition is printed on trashy paper that you can see right through, and the illustrations and beautiful photos in the 93 edition are ALL GONE. Get the older edition for a lot less money and you'll have a much higher quality printing. If you really want to cover the last couple decades, get some other book - maybe Robert's History of the 20th century.

The book is going back on Monday....