Laser printers have come down in price and toner cost enough to justify buying one for our home office. I've had high hopes for this new model because we use and like a number of Samsung products already: SL-M3370FD appeared to be affordable, very fast, well-networked, Linux and Mac friendly and last but not least, power- and money-saving printer. I've printed the return labels already...
First things first, here's what's wrong with the description:
1. It's *not* wireless; SL-M3370FD doesn't have a wifi module, only the models ending in "FW" do but of course I didn't know that until after I started setting it up; in the end I've just connected it to a router with a spare CAT5 cable;
2. There's no duplex scanning or faxing, only printing.
Here's what's wrong with hardware:
3. Manual feed didn't work, I got a paper jam every time I tried feeding a letter sheet; not even experimenting with envelopes;
4. Got a "toner cartridge error" message out of the blue once, had to use the power switch in the back to reboot the printer.
We have only Linux and Mac computers so none of the below was tried on Windows. With that out of the way, here's what's wrong with the software:
5. Samsung Easy Printer Manager on Mac OS X 10.7.5 doesn't work, acts like it can't connect to the printer; I haven't tried direct USB connection; silver lining here is that apparently printing and scanning works fine without Easy Printer Manager, and one can manage the printer remotely from its built-in Web site;
6. Despite a successful SMTP server test I never received a Scan to Email job, not even in my spam folder;
7. Bonjour/Airprint/mDNS stopped working for some reason; I've set up the printer on one Mac without any issues but a couple of days later it wouldn't show up in the list on another Mac -- this may also be a problem with my router of course;
I tried to contact support by live chat on Samsung site as well as by email. Live chat representative said this is a business printer and I better talk to business support people but on the phone only, they cannot be contacted by email or live chat. I then proceeded to find a business support email and send them a note (it was late so I decided against calling). They replied within 24 hours but I found the response unhelpful. Anyway, here's what's wrong with support:
8. There's no support page for this model with downloads etc., click Support at [...] and you get Page Not Found; that live chat however gave me an idea so I looked up this model on business site ([...] and that one does link to a support page: [...]
9. Business support representative suggested I download and install Samsung printer drivers from Apple site (not Samsung) and even offered a KB link but I tried and this didn't revive Easy Printer Manager.
Is there anything good about it? Yes: print speed is amazingly fast.
I've already placed an order for Canon Laser imageCLASS MF4890dw Wireless Monochrome Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax
, really hope that one is better.