Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Fidlar UP3 $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale
Profile for engrstudent1984 > Reviews

Browse

engrstudent1984's Profile

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

engrstudent1984 RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Melissa & Doug Deluxe 10-Piece Magnetic Fishing Game
Melissa & Doug Deluxe 10-Piece Magnetic Fishing Game
Price: $9.00
112 used & new from $6.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely for children who can sit still, January 21, 2015
My wife bought this for one of our nephews who is a year old. He has an older brother who is three. The intitial reception was great but the older nephew defintly wanted it for himself and immediately used the fishing pole as a flail to get his way (as others have stated). The younger boy was relegated to chewing on the fish pieces. Once soaked in saliva the stickers/printed images come right off. Later feedback from my in-laws indicates that the older child was able to enjoy the toy with supervison but that they cannot leave the toy sitting unattended. I would not recommend this toy unless you intend to close watch your children while playing. Melissa and Doug makes a variety of other toys which are safer and a much better value in my opinion.

I think the toy could be improved by eliminating the heavy magnet and utilizing a different means of "pickup." Maybe just a tiny plastic or wooden hook of sorts that "grabs" the fish via recessed pick point. That way you wouldn't have a heavy weight which can be swung from the end of the line.

Principles of Foundation Engineering
Principles of Foundation Engineering
by Braja M. Das
Price: $177.53
33 used & new from $139.59

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for those taking the Civil Geotechnical PE exam, January 19, 2015
This text along with, "Geotechnical Engineer's Portable Handbook (also available on Amazon)" were my primary references for the Geotechnical Civil PE Exam. This book has a good overview basic soil principles, tests, settlement, etc. and is sufficient for pretty much every question on the depth portion of the exam. As the title suggests this book excels in the explaination, details, and different methodologies for all types of foundations. If you read and understand this book you'll definitely be good to go in my opinion. A word of caution, while many simplified equations are presented for bearing/pile capacity the PE exam likes to use certain forms of the equation. As a result certain design factors in this text can and will likely vary from what you may need to use on the test. This can definitely cause you to select the wrong answer on the exam. I know I did this on plenty of practice exams. So if you do use this text as an exam reference be aware of that and closely read if the exam provides you with the form and factors of any needed equation.

This book, like many other references, falls short on covering special topics that would be presented on the PE exam (seismic, difficult/expansive soils, soil improvement/stabilization, etc.). I feel like the portable handbook previously mentioned does a better job with those topics. Overall this is an excellent resource and definitely one you'd want in your arsenal to be successful on the exam.

Pre Inked Professional Stamp - Engineer/Architect
Pre Inked Professional Stamp - Engineer/Architect
Offered by Rubber Stamps
Price: $23.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than a self-inking stamp and at the same price!, January 15, 2015
This stamp works superbly. My co-worker purchased a different brand/type of stamp after we passed the PE exam and this one is superior in clarity and simplicity. We essenitally paid the same amount so I feel I got a much better value. I've used it to stamp the inside cover of my texts (which vary in age and quality) and the stamp shows up quite nicely in all of them. As stated in previous reviews the process of speaking with the vendor was straightforward. I e-mailed a link directly to my states seal requirements and the stamp came back just as expected. No complaints here!

Outward Hound 51005 Fun Feeder Slow Feed Interactive Bloat Stop Dog Bowl, Small, Purple
Price: $10.94
24 used & new from $10.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised, no more food fights!, December 30, 2014
I bought the small flower bowl for one of my two dachsunds. The younger of the two (1.5 yrs) used to inhale his food then run over and try to eat the older (9 yrs) dachshund's food. Both dogs now take 7-8 minutes to eat now and finish at the same time. I also find that my younger dachshund does not annoy me for more food after he's finished eating. He hasn't figured out how to flip the bowl over either. I don't think the price justifies this for every dog but definitely worth it for chow hounds!

Six-Minute Solutions for Civil PE Exam Geotechnical Problems
Six-Minute Solutions for Civil PE Exam Geotechnical Problems
by Bruce A. Wolle
11 used & new from $90.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good with some caveats, December 30, 2014
I bought this book to help prepare for the Geotechnical Civil PE exam. I worked every problem in the book and found the breadth problems to be an excellent representation of concepts and problems you would be expected to know. I felt the depth problems were more hit and miss. The topics for shallow foundations, retaining walls, soil mechanics/properties were on point and revealed some good alternate methods for solving problems quickly different from the approach of other texts. The deep foundations type problems were only so-so covering many different methods for determining pile capacity that I don't think you'd ever see on the exam. Even after this and other review materials I know I struggled on that topic and definitely recommend a variety of sources when taking the exam. The earthquake engineering portion was mostly useless in my opinion and knowing they will ask you a couple of questions here I'd again look for additional material. I did pass the PE exam and felt this was part of my success path albeit only the beginning. After working though the ALL problems you'll definitely have a sense of the concepts needed to be successful and an idea on what to look for in terms of additional resources. I do recommend you buy the book and wish all good luck taking the PE exam.

Geotechnical Engineers Portable Handbook, Second Edition
Geotechnical Engineers Portable Handbook, Second Edition
by Robert W. Day
Price: $60.70
55 used & new from $22.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Do not hesitate to buy this book!, December 30, 2014
I bought this last minute as an additional reference for the Civil Geotechnical PE exam. I don't typically perform geotechnical type work in my field and admittedly I didn't read the book thoroughly before the test. I did pass the PE exam and felt this book was a big part of it. Without divulging the nature of the exam questions I will say this book had very useful information in responding to many of the qualitative questions for which normal graduate level textbooks and review materials had nothing. I firmly believe I answered a number of the afternoon questions correctly due to this book. With so much information (and I mean this book talks about everything) this book is definitely a keeper even after the exam and it sits proudly on my cubicle bookcase next to my Engineering Licensure certificate.

KNIPEX 71 12 200 Comfort Grip High Leverage Cobolt Cutters with Spring
KNIPEX 71 12 200 Comfort Grip High Leverage Cobolt Cutters with Spring
Offered by HomewareStore-Germany
Price: $43.90
9 used & new from $43.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best you can buy, December 30, 2014
Until I bought these cutters I used "equivalent" mini-bolt cutters from a variety of big box hardware stores. I cut 14 ga. and 16 ga. steel wire for making chainmail. Considering thousands of rings need to be cut for any large piece of chainmail efficiency and ease of use are extremely important. Cheaper cutters tended to squish the metal before making a lop-sided cut. As they wore out you'd even have rotate the handle to "rip" the last bit of metal. The Knipex cut so cleanly compared to cheaper versions I no longer have to clean the ends of my chainmail rings before joining. Each side of the cut is fairly symmetrical so I can close the rings fairly tightly. I can now make cuts easily 10 times faster than I was before. My only wish is that I had bought them sooner.

Avery Index Tabs with Printable Inserts, 1-Inch, 25 Tabs (16221)
Avery Index Tabs with Printable Inserts, 1-Inch, 25 Tabs (16221)
Price: $2.89
23 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Best tabs you can buy!, December 29, 2014
These tabs were perfect for organizing my texts for PE review and examination. The narrow tabs work better if you want to tab many sections without too much overlap. I am dumbfounded that I could not find these in any box store but the price is certainly better on Amazon and shipping is easy as an add-on item with Prime.

IMPROVE SLEEP w/ Easy to Install Total Blackout Light Blocking Shade for Windows. Fits Windows up to 38 Inches Wide By 72 Inches Tall. Non-Permanent Room Darkening Solution for Better Sleep.
Offered by ShiftShade LLC
Price: $28.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth it if you work nightshift, October 7, 2013
I purchased this item because I frequently work nights and my bedroom is located on the sunniest side of the house. In years past I have tried all the tricks...aluminum foil, cardboard boxes, room darkening blinds/shades, etc. The problem with these methods is that they either don't seal the light out completely or require so much tape it looks like you're trying to keep the window from falling out of the wall.

What comes in the package is straightforward and the instructions obvious enough for the common person. You get one really oversized piece of blackout fabric which is a nice neutral white color (at least the neighbors don't think i'm paranoid anymore about the NSA listening to my cell phone conversations) and three flexible fiberglass rods to stick the fabric in the window...just like in the video on the shiftshade website. I found within 5 minutes I could get the shade in the window blocking out about >95% of the light without too much adjustment. The most time is spent trimming the rods. You could trim the fabric to make it a bit less unwieldy but a few folds/tucks and it hides behind the blinds quite nicely (plus you can use it in a different room). When I was finished the room was dark, as dark as night minus light streaming in from under the doorway. When I need to remove them it'll come down quicker than putting it up.

I like this product...a lot, but I feel I cannot give it 5 stars due to the price. It cost $50 to cover two windows in my bedroom and fortunately I only have two windows. I feel the materials probably cost a lot less and you could figure this out for yourself if you had the time. If I had to buy more than two I probably would have thought twice. As a matter of convenience, however, this product is definitely a winner and the fabric should hold up for years to come through many cycles of being installed and removed. Plus, the paint around your window sill will appreciate not being pulled off every time you try the foil method!

Olympus Digital Camera TG-820 Silver (Old Model)
Olympus Digital Camera TG-820 Silver (Old Model)
5 used & new from $299.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Point and Shoot Camera, August 6, 2012
I would like to start this review by saying that I am not a professional photographer. I do, however, enjoy taking photographs as a hobby and have a few cameras and basic working knowledge of aperature settings, shutter speeds, ISO setting, etc. If you want a thorough, in-depth review of the camera and every single feature then I recommend going to a photography or Olympus' website, if you want a practical review for the average/hobbyist photographer then please keep reading.

This was the first point and shoot camera I purchased in a while. Before this, my everyday camera was a fixed lens Fujifilm camera that is not nearly as tough. Therefore I needed something that I could take with me on vacation to the beach, kayaking, hunting, to family events with young children where I wouldn't take a nicer camera, tripod, bag, etc. anyway. For the features and price of this camera you cannot go wrong.

Paired with a Sandisk ExtremeSD card (you'll want a fast SD card to transfer HD video off the camera) I have taken probably 1000 pictures and some video in the last two weeks and will describe some of the features I like about this camera. In no particular order:

1. Burst Mode Shooting - I have never had a camera that had this feature and now realize that I could never do without. A recent example of where this comes in handy was visiting my sister who has a 4 week old. Taking pictures of babies/children can be a gamble as you never know when they will smile, look in the right direction, etc. Using this feature I was able to take nice quick bursts of images capturing the brief moment when the baby was not crying and smiling big right at the camera! I believe the camera would work just fine at any local sporting event, etc.

2. Durability/Waterproofing - This was a main reason in purchasing the camera. I like the outdoors. I hunt, I fish, I kayak, I snorkel, you name it. Having taken a number of cruises and tacking on a snorkling/kayking trip I was the "look at that guy, he thought to bring a waterproof (albeit disposable) camera." Having used those throw away cameras a number of times with the high film exposure speed, you learn quickly that the pictures are grainy, incorrectly exposed, etc. Half the time the pictures just plain stink and you have no instant feedback after the shot. Do I think this camera should be used for deep sea exploration? No. Do I think the underwater features/capabilities are sufficient for the average joe to shoot great pictures to share with their friends of a trip to Grand Cayman Reef? Yes, yes, yes. I just recently took a trip to St. Thomas and St. Maarten and this camera was great out on a boat and in the water. Just make sure you buy a floating camera strap...

3. Instant HD video - So easy just push the button and record. Video is high quality. Microphone is not the best but this is a point and shoot camera that takes takes video as good as any microHD camcorder with comparable sound. Those cameras wont go underwater, at least right out of the box anyway. Again, if you want to shoot short films for the Cannes Film Festival buy a purpose built device, if you want to shoot quick videos of your daughter's 6th birthday party this will work just fine. What is nice is some of the "Magic Filters" carry over into the video recording. Which brings me to...

4. Magic Filters - These filters add some great effects to pictures. Sure some are garish and silly but some are downright cool. I particulary like the "Pop Art" filter which draws out bright colors by making them even brighter and more vivid (think Andy Warhol). Also interesting is the fish eye "lens" (self-explanatory) and dramatic lens filter which seems just to be a High Dynamic Range image post-processed within the camera. If you don't know what it is, look it up. The effect makes the pictures look pretty wicked and dark/sinister in some cases. All this without having to buy photo editing software. I won't go into all the filters but they are fun an offer a neat distraction to turn an otherwise boring picture into something far more interesting.

I could go on but at the expense of becoming superfluous in my write-up I will just sum up. Buy this camera, with the exception of the harshest, most particular photographers, you will not be disappointed. Although I would recommend camera to those more picky photographers anyway as I think the cost alone justifies the purchase...if you drop it you didn't just break that $500 lense and damage that fancy SLR camera body.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2012 5:35 PM PDT