Profile for H3@+h > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1742

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

H3@+h "Over 1500 reviews!" RSS Feed (thanks for the helpful review votes)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Shameless: Season 1
Shameless: Season 1
DVD ~ James McAvoy
Price: $24.91
23 used & new from $6.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Best series I've seen in a few years., April 1, 2012
This review is from: Shameless: Season 1 (DVD)
I won't argue with the others. This is a 5 star season/series. Maybe I was due for some British tele, but I soaked these 7 episodes up like a sponge. Shameless is very adult, very funny, and very well written. Loved these characters. You're hooked after the first episode. Frank the protagonist is the guy you love to hate, and all his kids you love to love. The accents and some humor are quite British, but they have all the same problems and issues any American might have. It was easy to relate to, though my family wasn't near as chaotic as the Gallaghers.

I've enjoyed other shows on DVD recently, such as Weeds, Dexter and Californication. Shameless is more of everything, not less. Glad I found it at Goodwill for three bucks.

The Very Best Of Toots & The Maytals
The Very Best Of Toots & The Maytals
Price: $10.99
56 used & new from $2.46

4.0 out of 5 stars Toots got soul!, March 24, 2012
It took me almost 40 years to realize that Toots Hibbert is one of the top names in reggae.

This is pretty much the best a single disc can be. Nearly everything of his that could be considered a "hit" is here. I'd toss on "Never Grow Old" and his cover of John Denver's "Take Me Home, Country Roads", but still. The classic "Pressure Drop" is included, as are favorites "Sweet And Dandy", "54-46 Was My Number" and "Spiritual Healing", his answer to Marvin Gaye's last big hit. All in chronological order, and with a nice bio.

We can no longer see Peter Tosh or Bob Marley live. See Toots while you still can. I did last night. He's still got it.

True Colours: The Best of Cyndi Lauper
True Colours: The Best of Cyndi Lauper
Price: $12.99
45 used & new from $4.16

4.0 out of 5 stars 2-disc Best of her 80's and 90's., March 10, 2012
I just got this collection today. I probably could have gotten by with She's So Unusual and one of her prior hits albums, but I just HAD to own "Hole In My Heart (all the way to China)". I love Vibes, what can I say.

This is pretty much the choice cuts from her first four albums as far as I can tell, plus a few soundtrack picks. We get all the big hits from the debut, and almost all of the next two albums. For me it was nice to obtain "Iko Iko" and "The Faraway Nearby", as I only had the True Colors album on vinyl. My only complaint would be the non-chronological running, and that the booklet has nothing in it other than a weak bio. Still, the tunes are here, and the sound is satisfactory to my ears.

Krull (Special Edition)
Krull (Special Edition)
DVD ~ Ken Marshall
Offered by Outlet Promotions
Price: $14.24
58 used & new from $2.67

3.0 out of 5 stars A long time ago, in a galax....oh wait., March 5, 2012
This review is from: Krull (Special Edition) (DVD)
This is one of those movies I had fond memories of as an 11 year old boy. As a 39 year old....eh.

Saying this is from 1983 is probably the best way to describe it. Special effects only the 80's can provide. It's one of those sci-fi/fantasy films that just tried to stuff as much possible into it. It's got the rescue plot, bad guys from outer space? A magician, a giant spider, an old wise man, a cyclops, flying horses, and freaking laser beams! I can appreciate all that, and even the cheese factor. What bothered me most for some reason, is that the whole film revolves around this five-bladed throwing star that our protagonist never even uses until the last ten minutes of the movie, then is somehow able to control it like a jedi, something co-star Liam Neeson would portray 16 years later.

Still, this was a fun watch, and a great bit of fantasy escapism.

City to City
City to City
Price: $3.99
87 used & new from $0.33

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars really., February 27, 2012
This review is from: City to City (Audio CD)
I was only 6 when this album came out, so I was a little late to the Gerry Rafferty party. Better late than never.

First thing about this album is it contains the huge hit "Baker Street" which any radio listener has heard for decades. It may have been the movie Good Will Hunting that rekindled my love for the song, and even again this week I've really gotten into it. It never gets old. I've heard it covered by David Lee Roth, Foo Fighters and Waylon Jennings, and none of them are near as great as the original.

The other hit which some call a minor hit, I think I like even more. "Right Down The Line" is one of those songs for me that is pure magic. Every note, every lyric...perfection. The song instantly puts a smile on my face and I feel like I'm in a trance when I hear it. The way he sings is just so emotional.

Then there's the rest of the album which I still think is very good. There's a couple songs that I'd file under "ok", but the majority is rock solid songwriting. Really good stuff, some of it bordering on soft rock, but I like that too. Lastly, love the album cover. I have it on vinyl, and recently bought the cd. Then I imported the disc to my itunes so now I never leave home without City To City.

I, Lucifer: Finally, the Other Side of the Story
I, Lucifer: Finally, the Other Side of the Story
by Glen Duncan
Price: $10.78
153 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Sinfully good., February 26, 2012
I just stumbled upon this book at Goodwill and liked the whole idea of it. I don't get involved in the whole heaven/hell thing myself, not religious, but found this book quite good.

His Infernal Majesty gets a month pass in the body of a mortal, and possibly a return through the pearly gates. It's interesting to hear his side of the story on the topic of creation, the garden of Eden, the pre-JC years. Also we're reminded that us humans get to do amazing things like smell, taste and feel. Seems Satan is short the five senses. There are a few dull pages in the book, a couple things are difficult to follow, but the majority is quite clever. Glen Duncan has a great vocabulary and wit.

Anybody with an open mind and sense of humor and darkness should enjoy.

Original Soul
Original Soul

3.0 out of 5 stars Well titled debut., February 21, 2012
This review is from: Original Soul (Audio CD)
For all the Vermonters out there, I recently checked-out this album from the Jericho-Underhill library. I say that because I doubt any level of fan wants to buy this for the outrageous going used price of 200+. That's right people, don't forget your local libraries.

Musically I enjoyed Original Soul. It's far from the rock n roll of the self-titled album. A lot more...soul. Grace already sings very well, and she gives the organ plenty of attention (sorry, had to). There was no doubt growth from album to album, but this is still very worthy of a listen, especially if you like the softer side of our favorite Vermont girl.

The Best Of House Of Pain & Everlast: Shamrocks & Shenanigans
The Best Of House Of Pain & Everlast: Shamrocks & Shenanigans
Price: $12.49

4.0 out of 5 stars House Of Everlast, February 21, 2012
I've wondered for years why House Of Pain had no collections out, and even though this could be better, it's still "On Point".

I do wish this included "Top O' The Morning To Ya", "House Of Pain Anthem", "Back From The Dead", and "Beef Jerky", from the "Jerky Boys" soundtrack. But, it does have the classic "Jump Around", "Same As It Ever Was", "Pass The Jinn", and "Just Another Victim", from the "Judgment Night" soundtrack. There's even a couple of 1990 pre-HOP tracks on here from Everlast. Although I do like his solo stuff, and hope he keeps recording, I think this could have been an all House Of Pain collection. Also, chronological order would have been nice to separate the two eras.

Still though, this is 17 tracks of dope beats, and "Fine Malt Lyrics".

Rhino Hi-Five: House Of Pain [Explicit]
Rhino Hi-Five: House Of Pain [Explicit]
Price: $3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Jump Around + 4, February 21, 2012
Not sure what the point of this collection is. It's pretty much "Jump Around" with four other random tracks, not even hits. Still, "Shamrocks" is a classic, and "Back From The Dead" is one of the better tracks from the second album.

Though their "Best Of" is a mess, I'd still highly suggest it over this set. Or the first album.

Reign of Terror
Reign of Terror
Offered by skyvo-direct-usa
Price: $9.44
71 used & new from $0.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Consider me slayed., February 21, 2012
This review is from: Reign of Terror (Audio CD)
I've been looking forward to Reign Of Terror. Seeing them rock SNL last week...made me feel like a teenager again, watching a favorite band. And you know....Alexis.

There's an excitement to their sound, an energy and jolt of fun. I believe it's a case of opposites attracting. He from the punk-metal background, she from pop. They make it work. The aggressive guitar riffs, pounding keyboards, and the girly vocals over top. Just listen to "Comeback Kid" 2-3 times. If that doesn't hook you, move on to something safer.

There's a lot of loud sounds on this album, but it's both noisy and beautiful. That's it....it's a beautiful noise.

The booklet has no pics of Alexis which is a crime. However I love the small print that says "Derek exclusively plays Jackson guitars", then it says "Alexis exclusively eats strawberry Pop Tarts". Good stuff.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20