Profile for Persephone > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Persephone RSS Feed (Colonial Heights, Virginia United States)

In The Mouth Of The Young
In The Mouth Of The Young
Offered by Customer Direct
Price: $6.65
74 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Without Bullets and Octane, what's left to sin for?, November 17, 2006
Okay. I have a little confession for everyone. I'm not a long-time fan of the band... hell, I only heard about them a couple of days before Family Values Tour rolled into Washington D.C. because I was offered a ticket to see one of my all-time favorite bands, Dir en grey. And actually, the members of Dir en grey are best friends with Bullets and Octane so I was willing to give them a listen, although I was doubtful of 3/4ths of the bands at FVT, given that their headliners were KoRn and Deftones. Which I dislike both of them, except for the fact that Jonathan Davis actually recognized true talent with Dir en grey and invited them on. Anyway. I was disillusioned already at the horrible performance of Walls of Jericho and was contemplating leaving the Pavillion until Dir en grey hit the stage until I heard the opening riffs of "Save Me Sorrow." And I sat straight up in my seat in awe. They were fantastic. They sounded so together and professional, yet so raw and intense. I fell in love instantly. Unfortunately, I didn't get to meet them that day (because I spent the money to meet Dir en grey) but they stuck in my mind. My boyfriend then bought me the album and I fell in love with every song on the album. They're raw, gritty, yet melodic and polished. You know that they have been playing together for a while with the sync they have together. I'm not going to sit here and detail critique the album for you... because that'll ruin the greatness of it. But take it from someone who tends to be a music elitist and turns her nose up at many bands and artists... and is a classical musician herself... if I sat straight up in my seat and wanted to buy their album instantly, they're definitely worth a listen at least.

On An Island
On An Island
Offered by POETS CORNER
Price: $26.99
37 used & new from $5.09

5.0 out of 5 stars David Gilmour is at his best...., May 2, 2006
This review is from: On An Island (Audio CD)
Oh my God... this album is absolutely fabulous. I'll admit, I wasn't so sure that I'd enjoy it... so I did download it first. And after I listened to it, I immediately went out and bought it. It was so fantastic. David Gilmour is ageless, I swear... he doesn't sound a day over his twenties when he sings... and his guitar playing is great. I've always told everyone that he was probably one of the most underrated guitarists of all time because he was still shadowed by Syd Barrett and no one really spoke of him. My personal favorites are "On An Island," "Then I Close My Eyes," and "The Blue." But... every track is great... well, except for "Take A Breath." It's quite repetitive and annoying. But overall... fantastic album! Highly recommend!

Sounds of Summer: Very Best of The Beach Boys
Sounds of Summer: Very Best of The Beach Boys
Price: $10.40
74 used & new from $2.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome album!, February 6, 2006
I didn't take the time to look through all ninety reviews but I bet I'm one of the few, if not only, younger people that decided to pick up this album and not only listen to it, but review it. I'm 20 years old, was born in 1985 and I absolutely love classic music, especially from the 50's, 60's, and 70's. And I have to say.... this album was one of the best that I've picked up.

I have to admit, I don't know much about the Beach Boys but when I heard "God Only Knows," for the first time, I fell in love with them and had to get an album that would bring their best work to me. So one night, after work, I was wandering the Electronics section at Wal-Mart and picked up this CD randomly. And I was blown away at how good the Beach Boys really are... it seems that 'I Get Around,' 'California Girls,' and 'Little Deuce Coupe' dominate people's minds but they have so many better songs... like 'Don't Worry, Baby,' 'God Only Knows,' 'Good Vibrations,' and 'Wouldn't It Be Nice.' I love all the songs on the album but those are my favorites and I think they're the best I've heard so far. But then again, I should check out 'Pet Sounds' before I say anything else.

This is a pretty crappy review, I know... but subject of it: I highly recommend this album to anyone my age who wants to immerse themselves in the best the 60's had to offer. That and the Beatles, of course.

Different Kind of Pain
Different Kind of Pain
Offered by cdgiveaways
Price: $11.85
70 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I think people are being way too harsh on Cold this go around..., December 19, 2005
This review is from: Different Kind of Pain (Audio CD)
I couldn't help but write in response to all of these harsh reviews on Cold's fourth album, "A Different Kind of Pain." I personally loved the album best out of all of them... because Scooter finally found what he needed to show the masses that despite the pain you go through, there is always a light in the darkness and in his re-entry to the world of Christianity, he found out. Granted, I don't agree with Christianity or religion... but it helped him fight a light and faith in himself that he forgot was there. And why should he have to scream at the top of his lungs to get his message out to the Cold Army? We hear him just fine.

And as far as the band goes, the new guitarists don't sound as awesome as Terry and Kelly sounded (at least in my view) but give them a break. We have to deal with that change... and deal with the fact that bands have to have their transition periods where they work to become in sync with each other.

This review is pretty crappy, I know... but at least my view got out somewhat. Bottom line... the songs are beautiful and Scooter's voice is heartwrenchingly emotional in it. It's worth the money.

Into the Sun
Into the Sun
Offered by KingsRidgeMedia
Price: $22.83
65 used & new from $0.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Eclecticism rocks!, December 6, 2003
This review is from: Into the Sun (Audio CD)
Attention all you armchair musicians. Sean Lennon has got IT. The thing that all musicians desperately want more than anything else. That intangible air of maturity and modesty mixed in with creativity and talent. People can talk about Sean's voice all they want but what do they know? Most of the people who say that have never sang or picked up an instrument in their entire lives yet they feel they are legitimate in their reviews. Sean isn't a damned Opera singer or anything but he puts his whole heart, mind and soul into his music and it's nowhere more apparent than on "Into The Sun." He plays with different styles and beats in every song. My personal favorites are "Two Fine Lovers," "Bathtub," "Home," and "Spaceship." They are so broad and eclectic yet defines who Sean Taro Ono Lennon truly is. On this album, he is NOT John Lennon and Yoko Ono's son. He is NOT Julian Lennon's little brother. He is his own person. Defined by his music and totally unconventional in style. On this album, he is Sean Lennon, the artist, not Sean Lennon, the Beatle Kid. I hope everyone sees that and buys the album because it is worth it.

Toward the Within
Toward the Within
Offered by Stuff in Tom's Garage
Price: $9.95
86 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome. Just awesome., October 29, 2003
This review is from: Toward the Within (Audio CD)
I don't know if words can truly describe what I heard when I first put "Toward The Within" in my CD player and pressed play. This CD shows the true beauty and eclecticism that music truly is and should be. It shows Middle Eastern and Celtic influences, mainly but the overall feel of it is like you went back to the caveman days because the beat of all the songs, especially in "Oman," is seductive and gets in your blood, making you want to dance all night long. Then you get to some songs like, "I Can See Now," "American Dreaming," and "Don't Fade Away." They are simple songs, just Brendan Perry and a guitar but they are probably the most beautiful songs on the whole album! They are TRUE love songs, simple melodies with the most BEAUTIFUL lyrics probably ever written and Brendan Perry's soothing voice, making them soar. These songs are for when you are laying in the arms of your significant other with candles all around you, just cuddling and relaxing all night. Lisa Gerrard isn't on here as much as Brendan but her presence is still felt on this album. Especially on "The Wind That Shakes The Barley." Overall, a must buy! Soft, eclectic, soothing melodies with exquisite lyrics....who could possibly ask for more?