Profile for Warren > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Warren RSS Feed (New York, NY)

Wireless Stereo Headset - Playstation 3
Wireless Stereo Headset - Playstation 3
Offered by ShopCell
Price: $122.99
59 used & new from $41.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Headset - Phenomenal Value, September 9, 2011
I echo many others who have said how much they enjoyed this headset. I purchased mine yesterday, popped in Uncharted 2 and spent about about 3-4 hours experiencing both the single player campaign and the multiplayer matches in an entirely new way.

Now to be fair, I am not an audiophile, I don't have a home theater set up, and have never used a headset before, so this is all new to me, and perhaps those who do have all of that stuff will scoff. But, if you're like me, just a guy who enjoys games but doesn't want to disturb his wife and kids, read on.

First, the negative (let's get that out of the way): The headset is bulky, it is plasticy and doesn't feel like excellent build quality, the extendable mic does feel a bit flimsy (I am a bit concerned how this will hold up over time), and the blue light on the mic can be distracting to some, but it wasn't a big deal for me (note, I only noticed this when the mic was in the extended position). That's it. There is nothing else I can think of that would fall under the negative column for this headset.

Now for the positives:

1) Extremely Comfortable. The pads are very soft and cushiony and the over-ear design fit like a soft glove. Also, probably due to the use of plastic on the set, while somewhat big and bulky, it is extremely lightweight. I had no problems after 3-4 hours and did not get hot-ear or experience any discomfort.

2) Ease of Use. It's a no-brainer to set up. It is just plug and play. Controls are easy to find and use during gameplay. Push the upper left side to mute the mic, push it again to un-mute. Sliders on the front and back on the left side for volume and voice/sound control. Pull out the mic for chat, push it back in for the single player campaign. Easy as pie.

3) Sound. Wow! A total immersive experience. I've been so used to mu HDTV's speakers that I had no clue what I was missing. Uncharted 2 has an awesome score and great sound overall, and I felt every bit of it. The Virtual Surround worked beautifully. Knocking on the door came from the back-right. Screech of metal came from the front-left. I heard footsteps and bullets during multiplayer, although things can get so hectic, I had a hard time processing where everything was coming from simply because I was too busy trying to stay alive! Overall, sound was crystal clear, with solid bass (although not very deep - if you like a lot of bass you'll be slightly disappointed). I had the settings at mid-volume and the voice/sound slider in the middle position and it was simply a whole new and amazing experience. Note, I did not use the chat function. Although I did slide the volume control all the way to sound so I wouldn't have to hear the annoying kids who swore like a sailor.

4) Value. $99? Are you kidding me? How do you beat that? What an excellent value. I've read a whole bunch of reviews before purchasing this. IGN, youtube, here on Amazon, and all over the net. A good many of the negative ones are comparing these to sets like the Turtle Beach PX5's or Astro A40's. I don't get it. Yes, those are in a different league, but they cost a whole lot more. Also, those are designed to due a myriad of things that frankly, the Sony headset is not. This is purely a PS3 gaming headset that has added functionality to be used for PC/Mac. That is it. To say it doesn't do 25 different things that it wasn't designed to do is silly. For example, I've seen some reviews knock these since they don't work with an Xbox. Hello? Are you serious? It's a Sony product designed for the PS3!

In the end, if you want all those extras, great. Spend $400 on the complete Astro set or $250 on the PX5's. But if you're like me, and simply want a high quality headset with chat capability for PS3 gaming, with great sound, supreme comfort, and at a great price, you will not find a better option out there.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2013 6:01 PM PDT

Incubus Dreams (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Book 12)
Incubus Dreams (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Book 12)
by Laurell K. Hamilton
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.19
238 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!!!!! A Literary Masterpiece!, September 30, 2005
Wow! This is LKH's best book yet! I am a huge fan of the series and have loved the development of Anita. See, when we first met Anita back in 'Guilty Pleasures', she was a no-nonsense, tough-as-nails, vampire-killer with morals, integrity, principles, and intelligence. How boring. However, starting around 3 books ago, her degeneration into an ambivalent, unconfident, self-centered, cheap whore who will have sex with anyone and anything, has got to be one of the best destructions of a literary character in any series.

Gone is the prissy Anita who said "I don't do furry." Or the undead, or any stranger who happens to be present when the arduer kicks in. Enter the new liberated Anita: one who will forever walk bowlegged based on the frequency and quantity of sex she has with impossibly endowed men (who all have long hair that "spill" everywhere).

Now we don't have to waste time with solving crimes or raising the dead. The vampire world used to be scared of Anita because she might take them down. Not anymore. No siree, Bob! Now vamps are only scared that if they piss her off, they might not get to sleep with her for the umpteenth time.

LKH wisely chooses not to waste any precious space in ID with lame filler like an actual plot. Instead she focuses on the only thing that really matters: How many times can she get Anita to have sex, with as many different men, in a multitude of positions, in as little amount of time as possible.

And did I mention the dialogue? I mean, can you get better writing than in this book? Consider this classic line from ID..."Fvck me while I'm tight!" or "Please stop or it won't last!" I don't think so. What about this great sequence..."Fvck me, I said. Fvck me, God, fvck me, just fvck me. Fvck me, fvck me, fvck me, fvck me, please, please, please, just fvck me." Just terrific.

Get this book! You will not be disappointed!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 1, 2012 8:36 AM PDT