Profile for M.D. Holley > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M.D. Holley RSS Feed (Chapel Hill, NC)

Persuading Scientists: Marketing to the World's Most Skeptical Audience
Persuading Scientists: Marketing to the World's Most Skeptical Audience
by Hamid Ghanadan
Price: $38.00
9 used & new from $35.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for marketers and communicators in the life science industry, July 9, 2013
As a freelance writer for life science companies, I wanted to know more about how scientists make buying decisions. Scientists are my clients' clients and therefore my target readers.

Persuading Scientists is the only marketing book that specifically deals with how scientists consume information. As buyers, scientists are especially sensitive to bias, are alternately skeptical and curious, and generally don't respond to the traditional AIDA (awareness-interest-desire-action) marketing funnel. This book elegantly makes the case for why life science marketers need a different kind of content marketing framework, then provides a step-by-step approach for designing, implementing, and measuring a strategy that adheres to it.

My writing has served all stages of the scientist's buying journey for years, but it was only after reading this book that I was able to fully articulate the "why" of my work to potential clients. Persuading Scientists increased my confidence as a writer and marketer. I highly recommend it to all marketers and communicators in the life science industry.

Marry Him: The Case for Settling for Mr. Good Enough
Marry Him: The Case for Settling for Mr. Good Enough
by Lori Gottlieb
195 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars this book just saved my relationship, March 15, 2010
Aside from being such an entertaining read, this book just killed any lingering doubts I had about marrying my fiance. I'm 30, and I'm engaged to a wonderful 38-year-old accountant who happens to be quite boring. He also comes with a bit of baggage -- a 4-year-old son from a previous relationship (not marriage). However he and his ex have joint custody, so we do get decent couple time and he doesn't pay child support, plus I have a great relationship with his son.

Anyway, this book made me realize how close I was to making a huge mistake. My guy meets all of my needs (we share similar values, he's financially responsible, he's a good father, and he doesn't have a problem with me engaging in activities I enjoy even if he's not necessarily interested in doing them with me) and many of my wants (he's tall and athletic, we have amazing physical chemistry, he's affectionate, he never stonewalls during an argument, he's a good cook, and he's way better than me when it comes to cleaning the house !)

But for the longest time I doubted whether it would work out because I didn't feel like he's intellectually curious enough. I'm a writer, and I read everything I can get my hands on just for the sake of learning new things. My fiance is rarely interested in learning about anything that doesn't have a practical application. He's also a homebody, while I prefer to be out there doing things. He's just a quiet guy with simple needs. But whenever we're together, I always feel a sense of calm, peace, and comfort, even if it's just sitting side-by-side on on the couch while he's watching a basketball game and I'm reading a book.

But after reading this book, I felt so much better about my choice to "settle" (this statement might sound ridiculous now that I've listed my fiance's good qualities, but you'd be amazed at how many women think they deserve nothing less than perfect). So if you're a woman who wants to get married (this book isn't for women who don't want to get married), read this book. The title's very provocative, but "settling" the way the author defines it doesn't so much refer to marrying anyone just to beat your biological clock. It's about getting rid of that sense of entitlement so you can focus on what matters in a marriage partner before you run out of options that actually meet any semblance of reasonable criteria.
Comment Comments (15) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2014 8:29 PM PDT