Profile for UpperDown > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 177

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

UpperDown RSS Feed (Out West)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
STEELMASTER Soho Collection Flat Style Magnetic Board, 18.5 x 11.5 Inches, Silver (270111950)
Price: $20.25
2 used & new from $20.25

5.0 out of 5 stars THE SPICE OF LIFE 🌀 🌀 think beyond the bulletin board, April 29, 2015
I recently made a project of organizing all my cooking herbs and spices, putting them all into 4-oz. tins with clear lids, and with each lid labeled. I put two magnets inside the bottom of each tin, then with two of these metal boards, one mounted directly above the other on the inside of my pantry door, my spices now cling happily out of the way but now so much easier to access and so much easier to see and locate.

I started off with the spice tins clinging to the side of my refrigerator, but wasn't wild about the cluttered look. The inside of the pantry door nearby was a good and available alternative, but I needed some sort of metal panel or panels that fit the space - and voilà - two of these boards provided the perfect solution.

This spice organizing project was a huge and satisfying success - I'm sorry I didn't do this years ago.
Comment Comment | Permalink

totalElement N48 Neodymium Super Strong Rare Earth Refrigerator Magnets 1/2" x 1/16" Disc - Set of 50
Offered by totalElement
Price: $14.99
2 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly PERFECT for Holding Spice Tins, April 23, 2015
I recently reorganized my big collection of herbs and spices, putting each in tin containers that stick to the side of my fridge with these magnets. I purchased 4-oz. tins with clear tops, and rather than fuss with gluing two magnets to the bottom of each tin, I put both magnets INSIDE the tin. Even through the thin layer of tin, two magnets are strong enough for the each lidded tin filled with spices/herbs to adhere securely to the side of my refrigerator without sliding down. I suspect the tins with lightweight things like dry herbs or bay leaves would hold easily with just one magnet.

While the magnets are nickel plated, I have no concern about them contaminating the dry spices and herbs ... no more than I am concerned about the nickel plated parts on my pasta roller that routinely touch damp/raw pasta dough and has a greater risk of chipping.

This spice organizing project was a huge and satisfying success. I now how have all my spices and herbs (about 44 tins) clinging happily to the side of my refrigerator where it's so convenient and easy to see/access them. I'm sorry I didn't do this years ago.

I did a lot of research sourcing the best quality/price tin spice containers - the ones I settled on came directly from Specialty Bottles (online specialtybottle-dot-com), and the shipping was fast.

Joico K-pak Shampoo and Conditioner Liter Duo 33.8 oz Set
Joico K-pak Shampoo and Conditioner Liter Duo 33.8 oz Set
Offered by Hayward Beauty
Price: $29.69
40 used & new from $26.50

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't believe why I buy this shampoo/conditioner 😳, April 16, 2015
I have a perfectly healthy head of hair, it's mostly salt-and-pepper grey, it's not colored or highlighted in any way - it's all natural - it's neither dry nor oily, the ends don't split, it's shiny, easy to manage and style, and I have no dandruff or other scalp issues. I don't need anything special for my hair - all I need a shampoo to clean it and a conditioner to soften/condition it. That's it - nothing more.

What I DO have, however, is a stunning remodeled bathroom that includes a tile shower that set me back THOUSANDS of dollars. When it was done, I could not bear to detract from the beauty of this tile shower by having some gaudy bright blue, pink, green, orange or any other butt-ugly-brightly-colored bottles of shampoo and conditioner sitting in plain sight.

These two bottles look just fine against the tile work in my shower, the product inside cleans and conditions my hair beautifully, and because I'm the only one who uses it, it LASTS TWO YEARS. That's right - it cost me about 4 CENTS PER DAY to have clean and manageable hair, and a great looking shower.

I'm happy.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Paleo Eats: 111 Comforting Gluten-Free, Grain-Free and Dairy-Free Recipes for the Foodie in You
by Kelly BeJelly
Price: $25.22
64 used & new from $19.00

5.0 out of 5 stars DO YOU MISS PASTA, RICE & COUSCOUS❓well I've got a trick for you❗, April 9, 2015
I own both of Danielle Walker's grain-free cookbooks, and when I saw her endorsement for Kelly's book, that was good enough for me. I truly admire these young woman who are bucking the system and creating great recipes from healthy ingredients.

I have been (was) an avid baker for more than 50 years, and have a deep appreciation for the effort Kelly and Danielle have put into creating new recipes for baked goods using healthy, grain-free alternative flours. Some traditional dishes are easy to convert to Paleo without a specific recipe - it's easy to figure out what to omit or substitute. HOWEVER, baked goods are quite another story. I can only imagine how many expensive ingredients they tossed out in developing these wonderful baked goods recipes, and I am grateful for their hard work.

Kelly's "Paleo Eats" is a treasure trove of great recipes. I've made many and liked them all. But for me, the stand-out winner in this cookbook is her "Grain Free Wraps," on page 78. Trying to eat grain-free isn't easy when you've eaten wheat flour bread/pasta/baked goods for 67 years. I've tried countless grain-free wrap recipes, and most were so dry they'd stick in my throat, or crumble when trying to use them. But Kelly's recipe for wraps is a winner.

AND I DISCOVERED SOMETHING ELSE ==> I follow Kelly's recipe with few minor changes - I use a heaping 1/4-teaspoon of salt (just a personal preference), and I use melted ghee (for the added flavor) instead of coconut oil. I also cook them in a non-stick pan and rotate the pan to spread the batter into 8-inch circles instead of 5-inch - this makes them a little thinner. The wraps are not dry or crumbly, and even though they're thinner, they are still sturdy and pliable enough to wrap around all sorts of good things without falling apart . . . and they are good for something else . . .

PRETEND PASTA ==> When the wraps are cool, I roll them up tightly, then with a sharp knife cut them (thick or thin) into "noodles" just like an Italian grandmother. Pour your favorite Paleo Spaghetti/Bolognese/whatever sauce on top, and dig in - you'll be amazed! They also hold up well in soup without falling apart. Do you miss Top Ramen? - well, add some "wrap-noodles" to homemade chicken bone broth and you'll miss it no more. Or use them in your own chicken noodle soup. And finally, take one or more of the cooled wraps, tear it into quarters, drop it into you food processor and pulse until it looks like RICE or COUSCOUS❗ I don't mind "zoodles" made from zucchini or other vegetables, but I like these wrap-noodles a lot more because they are closer to traditional pasta, more substantial/filling, and they hold up better.

I am one happy, grain-free camper.
Comment Comment | Permalink

DIAMOND PET FOODS 74198611027 Tow Canyon River Feline With Trout and Salmon for Pets, 5-Pound Bag
Price: $18.94
8 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My kitties THRIVE on this food 🔴 and they love it, April 8, 2015
It makes nothing but perfect sense to me for cats eat a diet of ingredients that they would eat naturally in the wild - especially a diet free of grain. My two pampered doll-faced Persian kitties (littermate sisters) are about as far from "wild" as they could get, but they are indeed wild about this food, and have been eating it since they were kittens. I alternate this Trout & Smoked Salmon variety with Roasted Venison & Smoke Salmon variety, and they NEVER tire of it ... not ever. I leave it out for them to eat whenever they choose, and each day they share a tiny can of wet food - about a tablespoon for breakfast and the same for dinner. Neither have ever had any health issues, and neither are the least bit overweight. They both like it so much, that even though it's there for them to eat whenever they like, I can grab a 5-6 pieces from their bowl, call them for a "treat," they both come running, gobble them up like it was something special, and then "meow" for more ... they crack me up.

Taste of the Wild Canyon River Feline - 5 lbs
Taste of the Wild Canyon River Feline - 5 lbs
Offered by JD PowerSellers
Price: $17.73
14 used & new from $12.81

5.0 out of 5 stars My kitties THRIVE on this food 🌀 and they love it, April 8, 2015

Skechers Women's Bobs Cozy Slipper,Chestnut,6.5 M US
Skechers Women's Bobs Cozy Slipper,Chestnut,6.5 M US
Offered by Orva Stores
Price: $49.95

4.0 out of 5 stars STYLISH AND COMFORTABLE 🌀 but no memory foam, April 3, 2015
After returning an ill-fitting pair of Haflinger Women's ASV MC Moccasin, I decided to give these a try. Not only are these better looking, they're half the price. I have two other styles of Sketchers shoes which I love, so it seemed to make sense. I read the reviews here and elsewhere about them running big, so I ordered a half-size smaller, and sure enough the 6.5-mediums fit my 7-medium foot perfectly.

While these slippers fit well and are otherwise comfortable, cute and cozy, they do not have memory foam insoles (footbed). I already own a pair of Skechers Women's Go Walk Winter Memory Form Fit Walking Shoe, and I know what memory foam feels like under the foot. Thinking the foam was so thin in the slippers that it couldn't be felt, I pulled the faux fur lined bottom up a little and saw that it was lined with a heavy dark-colored fabric. Below that was the top/inside of outer sole, also covered in fabric ... there's no memory foam in between or anywhere.

The slippers also have no arch support whatsoever, but I have no need for arch support in a pair of house slippers - I'm okay with that. However, I was a little disappointed to learn there were no memory foam insoles when the product description says there are, but the absence wasn't' enough to make me send them back. The only thing I need slippers for are to keep my feet warm, and they do, while looking adorable.

Haflinger Women's ASV MC Moccasin,Grey,37 BR/6 M US
Haflinger Women's ASV MC Moccasin,Grey,37 BR/6 M US
Price: $113.95
2 used & new from $113.95

3.0 out of 5 stars C'est la vie, March 31, 2015
I'm sorry these slippers didn't work for me. Clearly a high-quality slipper, they're attractive to look at off, but looking down on them while on your feet - the toe simply looks weird. Make no mistake, Haflinger completely messed up the sizing on this slipper. Reading the reviews here and elsewhere that they ran big, I bought a full size smaller than I normally wear. The smaller size fit fine everywhere except the toe that was still too long. And even though my foot is medium to slightly narrow, the medium width slipper was too narrow and tight. I sent them back, but I found similar style slippers that fit properly and that I liked even better - Skechers Women's Bobs Cozy Slipper - at half the price. C'est la vie.

Stevita Stevia Spoonable Sweetener, 16 Ounce
Stevita Stevia Spoonable Sweetener, 16 Ounce
Offered by Zulera
Price: $15.02
42 used & new from $12.70

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T BE FOOLED BY THE LABEL (or the cherry-picked reviews), March 25, 2015
ERYTHRITOL IS THE PRIMARY INGREDIENT in this sweetener, not stevia. It is listed first before the other ingredient, stevia rebaudiana, which means there's more erythritol than stevia.

MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND THE [cleverly written] LABEL - it says "we use only stevia extract with at least 95% pure glycosides" - get that? That means that the stevia extract - the SECONDARY ingredient in this product - contains at least 95% steviol glycoside. That does not mean that 95% of this jar contains stevia and the rest is erythritol ... FAR FROM IT. The label on this sweetener is deliberately written to mislead the consumer - if the actual percentages of erythritol and stevia were openly disclosed, they wouldn't sell much.

The label also cleverly states that erythritol is a "crystal granulated naturally produced filler found in fruits, vegetables and grain." Indeed, erythritol does occur naturally in many fruits and grains, but it occurs there in such microscopically small amounts, that it's completely impractical to obtain it from any "natural" sources. Instead, the erythritol found in this product is manufactured by chemically converting GMO corn into food-grade starch which is fermented to create glucose, and then processed further to create erythritol. SOUND "NATURAL" TO YOU? Cargill, the makers of Truvia, recently settled a class-action lawsuit about this very thing - misleading consumers by calling their product (that's mostly erythritol) "natural."

There is absolutely nothing "natural" about the erythritol in this jar - nothing - it was all chemically produced, and there's more of it in this jar than stevia. And there's no reason the believe the stevia is organic without a USDA organic certification.

Looking for pure certified organic stevia and nothing else - no fillers? - then consider this Now Foods Organic Stevia, White, 4 Ounce. Yes, it costs more, and it's worth it. You get what you pay for - in this case 100% certified organic stevia, and nothing else. (And no, I don't work for the maker, but I use it because I want real stevia instead of chemically-produced junk.)

= = = = => AND WATCH OUT FOR THE TEXAS TROLLS.

This is the second negative review of this product that I've written on this very product page - THE FIRST ONE WAS SCRUBBED. Don't believe that - want to see it? Follow this URL (copy/paste) to see for yourself:

There it is - it's still a viable review on my profile page, but for some reason it no longer appears on the product page? It has mysteriously gone missing. But scroll down and read the comments made to this scrubbed review, and you will see three different comments made by Oscar Rodes, none other than the President and founder of Stevita, Inc. That's right, the president of the company is trolling the Amazon reviews and making comments trying to explain away the deceptive product label and other negative comments made about his product . . . my review had ruffled the top feathers.

And then there's "dianech," another company troll whose defensive comments can be seen routinely posted on the negative reviews of Stevita products, and in the "ask a question" feature where she answers questions and throws around the word "natural" all the time. It only took a week after I posted this new review for her to comment on it ... click on the comments below to see for yourself. Or follow her profile and you'll see the negative post she made about the competition - KAL - this is UNETHICAL.

Do you see that my original/scrubbed May 11, 2014 review had 79 "helpful" votes? Because it had the highest number of helpful votes, it appeared first among the other reviews ... until a few weeks ago, when it mysterious disappeared. Gee, I wonder why? Allow me to enlighten you - it, along with the other less-than-favorable reviews were scrubbed, leaving behind only the most-favorable reviews, which effectively altered/upgraded the product's overall star rating in the process.

The consumer feedback you read on this product page is being cherry-picked and carefully "managed." Clearly, someone has found a way to wipe the slate clean of negative reviews in order to manipulate the star rating system. So far it seems to be working for them, except that I find this tactic even more despicable than the product label, so I've simply posted a new and updated review. I wonder how long this one will last?
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2015 8:32 PM PDT

LG 440G Prepaid Cellular Phone With Double Minutes (Tracfone)
LG 440G Prepaid Cellular Phone With Double Minutes (Tracfone)
Offered by JohnRockett, LLC
Price: $16.14
52 used & new from $4.51

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm happy = = = = 😎, March 23, 2015
As hard as some might find this to believe, I have very little use for a cell phone. That said, it's easier and cheaper for me to use this phone for long distance calling than it is to contract with a long-distance carrier. And the bonus is the convenience of having mobile phone service for those times when I might need it - like when I travel, or in the event of a roadside emergency, etc.

The phone is basic, simple, intuitive and easy to use. I might have to open the operator manual to set up the voice mail, but I needed no guidance to figure out the rest - it's all pretty straight forward. I really like its small size, and the sound quality is excellent. I'm happy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19