Profile for Jeffrey > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jeffrey "HandyGeek" RSS Feed (Saint Petersburg, FL, United States)

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey [Blu-ray]
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Neil Degrasse Tyson
Price: $39.96
17 used & new from $29.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic reboot of an American Classic, June 12, 2014
Carl Sagan would have been proud to see such a splendid redo of his original series. This series has something for everyone and should be required viewing for learners of all ages. It is especially nice to watch over and over without commercial breaks like we had on Fox. Neil De Grasse Tyson faithfully carries on the torch of enlightenment and understanding from Carl and Annie. Thanks to Seth Macfarlane for helping to bring this project to fruition. Watch this and learn not only some scientifically-based understanding of the universe, but also gain a kinship with all we observe in nature.

Motorola S305 Bluetooth Stereo Headset w/ Microphone (Black) - Retail Packaging
Motorola S305 Bluetooth Stereo Headset w/ Microphone (Black) - Retail Packaging
Price: $34.99
48 used & new from $22.72

2.0 out of 5 stars Choppy reception, December 22, 2010
I bought these because of the rave reviews and the recently-lowered price. I wanted a general use headset and I find the neck-wrap type the most comfortable for me. These worked okay until I paired them with other devices. Since then, I have had very choppy reception - even after deleting them from my other devices (Mac systems in particular). The sound was so-so, but I work with some fairly high-end headphones at work so I'm probably a bit spoiled in that respect. I'd like to find something that sounds as good as my regular-use Philips headphones, but bluetooth wireless and with a mic. The sound quality on the Philips headphones is not great, but perfect for general use and running. I just want to ditch the cord to keep from getting tangled and/or managed. Is it too much to ask? I'll keep looking. in the meantime, these Motorola S305's are getting returned. Goodbye moto!

Pioneer AVIC-X920BT 6.1-Inch In-Dash Double-Din Navigation A/V Receiver
Pioneer AVIC-X920BT 6.1-Inch In-Dash Double-Din Navigation A/V Receiver
2 used & new from $1,499.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great other than AVIC-Feeds, September 21, 2010
It took me about 4 hours total to dismantle my factory stereo and completely install the AVIC-X920BT. Overall, it does what it says and it even brings new life to my stock speakers that came with my 2005 Scion xB. The hardest part for me was to run the microphone and GPS antenna cables. The wiring harness I bought happened to match exactly the color coding of the wires on the stereo - very easy to splice using crimp connectors. Anyway, once all of the pieces were ready, all I had to do was plug in the stereo and put everything back together. In short the installation took time, but it wasn't rocket science.

Now, about the head unit...

Gripes:
* General operation and navigation is pretty decent. The scrolling mechanism on the interface isn't quite as elegant as on my iPhone 4. But overall, it is fairly intuitive.
*Voice commands could have been made simpler and should have come with sound feedback. Instead, when I activate voice command, a menu of selections appears on the screen. I would expect those command choices to be read back to me, but they aren't. I think Pioneer could and should add this functionality via a software upgrade.
*I like the Pandora integration idea, but for it to work, I have to have launched and active on my iPhone, the Pandora link app provided by Pioneer. It seems that they need to update that app so the multi-tasking ability is built in. Hopefully, they are already working on it.
*AVIC-feeds flat out does not work as prescribed. That feature is broken, at least with my iPhone 4 (OS 4.1), and for now. Hopefully that will be fixed as well.

Kudos:
* Besides my gripes above, I really enjoy this stereo. The controls are intuitive, I can turn off the screen for night driving, navigation is straightforward and it looks sexy in my otherwise dull toaster.
* Sound is fantastic. There are a lot of audio tweaks available that make your personal tastes easy to accommodate. I tried a few of the staging presets, which were really sweet and brought a lot of power to my stock speakers. But in the end I opted for a custom EQ setting and turned off the loudness feature. I don't have high-quality speakers, but if I did, I'm sure I'd have to change this and add an amp.
* Radio stations are easily programmed. In all, I was able to only use 14 of the 18 preset FM channels. All of the station ID info came through pretty quickly along with song and artist info. I do seem to have a slight reception problem. However, I think that's because of the bypass I did with the mute wire on the ground. I think I need to re-splice that.
* iPod controls and display are intuitive and relevant. I would love to see a full screen of the album art, but that's a pretty small gripe for the functionality gained. I have access to all of my content with only a few menu selections. I have yet to try voice navigation of any of the features, but this is one I'm hoping will work.
* MicroSD playback is instant and full-volume. Unlike the iPod selections from my iPhone, the identical files on a MicroSD card played back louder. Why? I have no idea, but I'll be keeping a base selection of tunes in the SD slot.
* Pandora playback is saweeet! I admit it, I'm a Pandora junkie. Now having that ability in my car for the two hours per day I'm on the road, the traffic doesn't bother me so much anymore. I'll be eating away at my 2GB AT&T plan using this feature, I'm sure.
* Hands free phone conversations are pretty good. With the Parrot add-on, I only heard audio through the front speakers. With this system, when I'm on the phone, I can finally hear every word even over the loud ambient noise from my toaster xB. Hopefully, when I get my new carpet put down, some of that noise will deaden. It's not the best hands-free experience I've had, but it's perfectly acceptable - especially when compared with getting a new car. My next car will likely be a Ford because of their Sync system, BTW, but that'll be another few years.
*GPS Navigation works. It's not the prettiest map display around, but it works really well so far. I have GPS on my iPhone as well, with traffic reporting, but that costs me extra money that I won't have to spend anymore. Having used TomTom in rental cars, I have a pretty high bar set on what good navigation should be.

To sum up:

I'm happy with this stereo. It brought new life to my stock speakers such that I won't need to invest more in my system. It has a feature set that I could otherwise only get in a new vehicle and at a very fair price. I love having Pandora come through. I like that I'm charging my iPhone while getting functionality from it through the system and being able to stash the phone instead of using it as a control for the stereo. I give this system four stars even with the "broken" features listed above. Should those be fixed in the near future, I would readily give it five stars.

Note: I previously tried installing a factory stereo add-on by Parrot (MKI-9200) which worked for a couple of weeks and apparently died on me. I'll have to add my review of that item as well. Suffice to say, I didn't want to exchange it for an identical unit.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H55 14.1MP Digital Camera with 10x Wide Angle Optical Zoom with SteadyShot Image Stabilization and 3.0 inch LCD (Black)
Offered by BEST DEALS EVA
Price: $99.95
29 used & new from $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch images, March 29, 2010
Having owned many pro-level cameras in the past, it was difficult for me to find a solid and versatile point-and-shoot. This camera has everything I was looking for and just a bit more.

Pros:
I am impressed with the amount of control the H55 gives me.
Panoramic imaging built in (its nice to see the results right away rather than just eyeballing it) .
Image quality - wow @ 14MP, the images are gorgeous.
Color accuracy is great with good lighting.
The camera handles quite nicely and is very easy to navigate.
The wide angle lens is fantastic at this price. As a pro I would have spent a couple hundred on the lens alone.
Excellent range on zoom. I was quite happily surprised.
Battery life seems much more adequate than the W330 I previously purchased and returned.

Cons:
The flash is far from balanced and seems too hot to be used for fill. I'm new on this camera and I'm used to pro-level equipment, so I'm sure I'm expecting too much here. That, or I just don't yet have the hang of it.
Color accuracy breaks down at lower light levels. Since I didn't have a real meter with me, I couldn't tell at which precise number breakdown begins to occur. I would guess around 4 lux is about as good as it gets. Beyond around that, it gets pretty noisy. I'll experiment with some night shooting when I have it on a tripod. But I won't get my hopes up.
Doesn't seem to allow you to manually close the lens. Not a dealbreaker, but it would seem a fairly simple feature to offer.
Comment Comments (13) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 15, 2011 4:42 AM PST

Racor PBH-1R Ceiling-Mounted Bike Lift
Racor PBH-1R Ceiling-Mounted Bike Lift
Price: $21.60
54 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what they say, May 3, 2007
This lift does a great job. I had it installed in about one hour by myself. But we have a loft-type ceiling. My wife loved it so much we are buying two or three more. If I get her help this time, it probably won't take as long.

AppleScript in a Nutshell (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly))
AppleScript in a Nutshell (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly))
by Bruce W. Perry
Price: $27.90
83 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The best AppleScript resource yet!, July 3, 2001
After a weekend with "the book", I can say that this one is a real winner. I'm very happy with the detail and the way it was intelligently sectioned out. The writing is clean with no excessive story telling and nothing extraneous to read - it was obviously edited by real pros.
An example in the section on "Application Switcher" the author outlines the "cycling keystroke" class as follows. "cycling keystroke(keystroke object) You can set the keyboard combination for cycling through open programs (each program will become the highlighted program on the desktop in sequence as you press this key combo). This example changes this cycling keystroke to Control-F1:
tell application "Application Switcher" set stroke to {key:F1 key, modifiers: {control down}} set cycling keystroke to stroke end tell
The keystroke object takes the form of a record type..." and it goes on in more detail. Then it tells you a little later what would be valid keystrokes to use.
This is merely one example. The breadth of material is somewhat narrow, however it goes into great detail about all universal Applescript functionality. It's not specialized to one program's library, but extensively covers the details of Data Types, Operators, Reference Forms, Variables and Constants, Flow Control statements, and Subroutines.
This book will help take you to the next level of AppleScripting. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in AS, though. If I'd had this a couple of years ago, I could have had much tighter and reliable code now. I'm really looking forward to reading this one several times over the years. I think we have a new AS reference for the pros, folks. IMO, of course.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
DVD ~ Chang Chen
Offered by Media Favorites
Price: $8.13
1129 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Boring story, cool FX, June 8, 2001
The story line of this film is really quite boring and has few surprises. In fact, I had to watch the film twice since I fell asleep halfway through the first time. Visually, this film is incredible. However, I don't see what all the hubub is all about. I see this film as an attempt to make a generic and static story into something greater using master choreography, filming, editing and FX techniques.