Profile for Eugene Stevens > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Eugene Stevens "literary vagabond" RSS Feed (Denver, CO USA)

TRON: Uprising Season 1 [HD]
TRON: Uprising Season 1 [HD]
Price: $52.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, March 5, 2013
My seven year old son and I have been watching this together. It started out simple and thoroughly enjoyable. There is an open embrace of big questions which are thankfully handled without abusing the audience. And it absolutely helps that this is visually stunning with a great sound track.

To my joy, as the episodes progressed, it has gotten increasingly complex and thoughtful yet not specifically "dark". It is a fantastic intellectual exercise on how to be a leader who now has doubt and yet has a responsibility to those who are beginning to hope for what is turning out to be an increasingly uncertain future, and who personally struggles with the extended cost to everyone and a now mixed assessment of what constitutes actual freedom. It is an intersection of ideology and passion and a surrounding world that is often indifferent, sometimes bothered and yet eternally changed and hopeful as a result of it. All of that with tons of action, a sense of mortality, and without blood or lower forms of violence. This serves the story very well and keeps it all very existential, and clean enough for my family. Think of it as a Matrix for kids in that sense.

At about episode 13, The Stranger, the writing seems to take a leap forward along with an apparent boost in the already fantastic animation. Our hero is changing, and we are not sure how and he is not sure that it is for the better.

Phenomenal. After each episode, my son has to disappear to the play room for an hour or so to work it all out, complete with an excess of sound effects. My daughter, who is four, doesn't quite grasp it all and it is sometimes a bit intense for her, but she sticks with it. She observed to me after watching episode 14 that "Mara is strong. Strong like Beck. And I am strong too." Which makes me very proud.

This series is highly recommended for grown-ups and their kids alike. If you want to ask big questions and to see a big story in a "theater" that is equal to the trust you must place in such things, then I think you've found the right place.

And finally, after watching this, we went back and watched Tron Legacy and it seemed clearer and more meaningful. So definitely take opportunity to re-watch that, cult classic that it has become. The expanding Tron universe has come to occupy the imagination and motion of our small family, and I can tell you that our kids are ostensibly better for it, and me too in a way; which is not something you often say about a cartoon. Nice work, Disney.

Rilke's Book of Hours: Love Poems to God
Rilke's Book of Hours: Love Poems to God
by Joanna Macy
Price: $13.87
89 used & new from $8.09

3.0 out of 5 stars 90% Rilke, 10% Translator, March 27, 2006
Rilke wrote exceptional poetry. This book offers prayers he felt compelled to write after visiting Russia and encountering a simpler form of Christianity. It is engaging and powerful to wrestle with God and the human condition as they intersect. Rilke holds himself open and offers the reader language, terror and beauty in the face of an exceedingly complex yet personal God.

Rilke himself deserves five out of five stars. However,as has been noted in other reviews, this book bears the scars of interpretation from its translators. The muddled stories of conversion to Buddhism tip their hats to their interpretive goals. Consider the following end note:

"I,55 We have omitted two lines that didn't fit in the cup. It wasn't just the first murder that fragmented God's ancient names (see I,9), but also our presumptuous attempts to describe God. From the Tao Te Ching: 'The Way that can be named is not the Way.'"

I had bought the book to read Rilke, not some deconstructed version of him. So, although the writing is a fantastic set of poetry, I would caution the reader to move on to another translation that is more about Rilke as Rilke wrote. I wish I had examined my copy more closely before I purchased it.