Profile for Jay Busari > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 53

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jay Busari RSS Feed (Bangkok, Thailand)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Lies Across America: What Our Historic Sites Get Wrong
Lies Across America: What Our Historic Sites Get Wrong
Price: $11.47
107 used & new from $2.89

5.0 out of 5 stars An Antidote for Any Racial Malice, November 28, 2014
I have read excerpts of this book and I am amazed to find it is a rational antidote to any kind of racial malice.

I am not American but I learnt a lot about America from books, films, friends, and my 2 months accumulated travel in America (Hawaii, California, Colorado).

It is in few countries, including America, that you could have a contrarian view that is allowed to be spread and prosper. It is a reflection of great strength of a great country...and being able to absorb different perspectives to accumulate as knowledge for humanity.

If you want more of an alternative history of America, read "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West" by Dee Brown. I was in Colorado when I was recommended this book by a "white american" and immediately bought it. The American Wild West came alive from within its pages. The book seems to show the Native American point of view from extensive use of original source documents to retell the stories as it happened...but most of the original source documents are written by White Settlers and American officers and infantrymen.
This fact alone, gives me hope that current American global hegemony, while often trampling on many people, is not all a conspiracy but more a matter of badly managed incompetence resulting in collateral damage. Like an elephant trampling through the forest, the elephant is just rambling along, totally oblivious to any damage being done along its path.

Of course, its people like James W. Loewen and Dee Brown who want their fellow countrymen to be aware that there is good reason for the backlash they sometimes experience.

A must see is "Geronimo: An American Legend", a movie based on one of the chapters from Wounded Knee.

Lies My Teacher Told Me About Christopher Columbus: What Your History Books Got Wrong
Price: $13.84
53 used & new from $9.82

Lies My Teacher Told Me : Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong
Lies My Teacher Told Me : Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong
587 used & new from $0.01

Synthesis of Yoga
Synthesis of Yoga
Price: $15.37

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Influential Thought Leader of Contemporary Eastern Philosophy, October 1, 2014
This review is from: Synthesis of Yoga (Kindle Edition)
Aurobindo was the original thought leader to make Indian culture and religious philosophy accessible to a western audience.

His writings clearly expose parallels between several religions
- the philosophy of ultimate submission of self to be under control of Divine Guidance
- the practise of chanting prayers or mantras leading to a state of meditation
- the practise of devotional prayer leading to awareness of the Divine Presence
- the practise of meditation and awareness

Aurobindo writes from a hindu cultural background and literary leanings, but his tomes are clearly meta-religious.

Since Aurobindo's death in 1950, the writings of several famous religious leaders from India clearly echo and use much of Aurobindo's terminology...including ISKCON (or Hare Krishna movement) founder A.C. Bhaktivedanta, who was a pharmacist and family man, until he became a renunciate in 1950.

Integral Yoga: Sri Aurobindo's Teaching & Method of Practice US Edition
Integral Yoga: Sri Aurobindo's Teaching & Method of Practice US Edition
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Influential Thought Leader of Contemporary Eastern Philosophy, October 1, 2014
Aurobindo (1872 - 1950) was the original thought leader to make Indian culture and religious philosophy accessible to a western audience.

His writings clearly expose parallels between several religions
- the practise of chanting prayers or mantras leading to a state of meditation
- the practise of devotional prayer leading to awareness of the Divine Presence
- the practise of meditation and awareness

Aurobindo writes from his leanings for an independent and proud identity for India. Even so, he withdrew himself from all political activities in 1910 when he was forced to go into hiding due to one of his pro-independence articles in a religious publication. He dedicated himself to the practise of Yoga in seclusion for 4 years before he started publishing a journal and then went on to establish his ashram.

Since Aurobindo's death in 1950, the writings of several famous religious leaders from India clearly echo and use much of Aurobindo's terminology...including ISKCON (or Hare Krishna movement) founder A.C. Bhaktivedanta, who was a pharmacist and family man, until he became a renunciate in 1950 (at the age of 54).

All Is Lost [HD]
All Is Lost [HD]
DVD
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Reality Survival Film Ever, October 1, 2014
not your typical hollywood film, definitely not when Robert Redford is involved.
I think relatively low rating is due to the disappointment with the way it ends.
However, if you take it as a tremendously complicated experience of learning the simple ways of survival...this movie might just save your life someday.

The Tibetan Yoga of Breath: Breathing Practices for Healing the Body and Cultivating Wisdom
by Anyen Rinpoche
Price: $15.21
55 used & new from $10.36

4.0 out of 5 stars There is plenty of scientific evidence for the link between good health and clean air breathing, September 29, 2014
Very practical book on breathing meditation.

I am not qualified to evaluate the accuracy of the references to Western medicine, even though they seem add some modern perspective to a practice (breathing meditation) that is very closely associated with the esoteric.
Practitioners of Western medicine are more likely to demand more concrete data and statistics before accepting the many references made in this book.

It is clear that blood oxygen levels do have an important influence on our health. There is plenty of scientific evidence for the link between good health and clean air breathing, clearly from observing people with healthy outdoor lifestyle and professional athletes.
Breathing exercises are clearly fundamental for preventive medicine and healthy living.

Anapanasati (Mindfulness of Breathing) by Buddhadasa Bhikku is the best reference known by many Thai Buddhists.

Mood: The Key to Understanding Ourselves and Others
Mood: The Key to Understanding Ourselves and Others
by Patrick M. Burke
Price: $14.21
62 used & new from $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars its best to skim past the jargon and take short notes ..., September 29, 2014
This book is very hard to read for a layman without familiarity with neuro-science.
There are many references to human nervous system and bio-chemical processes, maybe valuable for a practitioner or clinician.

For the layman, its best to skim past the jargon and take short notes for future reference.
The book is filled with wisdom, but you got to dig into it like you're mining for diamond nuggets.

Perhaps reading these books would be better investment in time for the layman
1. Daniel Goleman's books
1.1 Social Intelligence
1.2 Emotional Intelligence
2. Paul Tough, "How Children Succeed: Grit, Curiosity and the Hidden Power of Character"
3. Joseph T. Hallinan "Why We Make Mistakes"
4. Russ Harris "The Happiness Trap"
5. Shirzad Chamine "Positive Intelligence"

Nexus 7 from Google (7-Inch, 32 GB, Black) by ASUS (2013) Tablet
Nexus 7 from Google (7-Inch, 32 GB, Black) by ASUS (2013) Tablet
Price: Click here to see our price
110 used & new from $139.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Convenient, January 14, 2014
I've used this Nexus 7 for over 3 months now, and I am still very happy with this device no matter what other tablets keep coming on the market.

I put a matt (anti-glare) screen protector...and I can read PDFs in most outdoor+indoor lighting conditions.

Fits in my back pocket, handy while out on the golf course.

The battery lasts long enough (at least 20 hrs) even while connected on WiFi.

I use the Nexus 7 almost like a computer (except that I'm still not comfortable with touch screen keyboards).

I got the 32 GB version.
Too bad you can't put in an SD Memory Card, but USB on-the-go works pretty well for external storage access.
I'm still not able to use this with a mobile-data-card to use over 3G (but here's a possible work around I still need to try [...] )
Even so, I do not need 24 hr internet on this tablet (I got an LG G2 smartphone for calls and 3G that can be shared with the Nexus 7).
So the battery on both devices (Nexus 7 and LG G2) last me the whole day.

I needed to root the device to customise it further. Rooting it, when connected to a Linux machine, was very easy.

My only gripe is that the hardware power button is too near the volume control buttons.

Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Next-Gen Built-in Light, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers
5 used & new from $88.08

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle HDX may be better for reading PDF content with Graphics, October 3, 2013
I am a Computer Science major and PostGrad with 20 years experience in the Tech industry.
I found the Kindle PaperWhite is not suited for reading the kinds of content I use for my work.

I have not purchased this new upgraded Kindle PaperWhite, but I do have the previous version.

If battery life is important to you and you mainly read content in file formats like MOBI, PRC, HTML, TXT, or Amazon downloads...get the Kindle PaperWhite.
This is the best e-reader for that kind of content.

If viewing PDF documents (with full graphics and images) is more important to you, wait for the Kindle Fire HDX, if you can't wait at all then get the Google Nexus 7.

I love the Kindle PaperWhite I got earlier this year and I even wrote a very positive review after using it for 1 month
Paperwhite Resolution Display Previous Generation

I am still highly impressed with the long lasting battery life of the Kindle PaperWhite (KPW).

I used the KPW to mainly view PDFs, especially PDF programming manuals or 'science' books (on maths, physics, engineering, biotech) with lots of diagrams, images and screendumps.
But since most PDFs are typeset for A4 pages, PDFs need to be converted to display well enough on the 6" screen size...Here's the procedure for those need it [...]

However, even after going through all the hoops, I found the PDF reader or perhaps due to lack of a graphics processor on the KPW, is not the best for displaying many PDF documents clearly enough.

So I had to compromise on the battery life, and chose a device that will render my PDF documents "near native".
Kindle HDX specs seem more promising for people who need to view PDF documents in native typographic format.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6