Profile for Adina Bernstein > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 40

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Adina Bernstein "WritergurlNY" RSS Feed (New York)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Dybbuks and Jewish Women in Social History, Mysticism and Folklore
Dybbuks and Jewish Women in Social History, Mysticism and Folklore
by Rachel Elior
Price: $19.76
24 used & new from $14.15

3.0 out of 5 stars Reads Like a Grad School or Doctorate Thesis, November 18, 2013
I bought this book because the topic seemed interesting.

The topic is interesting, but it reads more like a grad school or doctorate thesis that someone decided to publish themselves. Unless the topic of the novel is interesting to the reader, they are likely to be bored.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2014 1:38 PM PDT

Everybody's Jane: Austen in the Popular Imagination
Everybody's Jane: Austen in the Popular Imagination
by Juliette Wells
Price: $28.45
66 used & new from $10.48

2.0 out of 5 stars Not A Good Book, December 25, 2012
I bought this book because I had seen the author speak earlier this year and the book sounded interesting.

I could not get past page 20. I was bored, if I had known, I would never have bought it.

Dracula, My Love: The Secret Journals of Mina Harker
Dracula, My Love: The Secret Journals of Mina Harker
by Syrie James
Price: $6.00
61 used & new from $1.50

4.0 out of 5 stars I Like This Book, January 21, 2012
Dracula, My Love, is a reboot of the Bram Stoker novel told from the point of view of Mina Harker.

Far from the damsel in distress in the original novel, Mina is a liberated woman who finds her life with her husband to be dull and Dracula to not be the monster, but a misunderstood creature who has fallen in love with her.

The ending I kind of saw coming, though I haven read the book in years.

Fans of the Stoker cannon might dislike it, but I enjoyed it.

A Strange Stirring: The Feminine Mystique and American Women at the Dawn of the 1960s
by Stephanie Coontz
Price: $10.38
48 used & new from $1.51

4.0 out of 5 stars A New Light On An Old Favorite, November 21, 2011
First me start by saying that The Feminine Mystique is one of my favorite books that forever changed my life.

This book is excellent. It de-constructs and then re-construsts Mrs. Friedan's theories while reviewing them in a new light.

I think the most prevalent feeling I felt from this book was gratitude because with Mrs. Friedan writing this book, our world would be the same as it was.

Wuthering Heights: The Wild and Wanton Edition
Wuthering Heights: The Wild and Wanton Edition
by Annabella Bloom
77 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, July 6, 2011
This is essentially a fanfiction, though the author is being paid instead of just publishing themselves on the internet. I am not a purist, but I do prefer that the author or screenwriter follow the plot of the novel, unless it an AU, which of course, all bets are off.

That being said, I really enjoyed it. I heard the voice of the characters as Emily Bronte created them to be, but the sexual relations between the characters went from innuendo to real without being predictable or corny. Lets face it, there is crackling sexual chemistry between Cathy and Heathcliff, its just below the surface you know where to look.

I did enjoy the novel and I look forward to what she may do if she ever does a wanton and wild edition of Jane Eyre.

Wuthering Heights (1970)
Wuthering Heights (1970)
DVD ~ Anna Calder-Marshall
Offered by Angels Loft Sales Group
Price: $12.89
87 used & new from $0.99

1.0 out of 5 stars WTF!!!!!!, June 11, 2011
This review is from: Wuthering Heights (1970) (DVD)
I bought the movie because I love the novel and it looks good. I was wrong.

It goes a little too far from the cannon for my sake and cuts out the second half the story. I dont mind a little creativity to spice a story that has been done and redone, but this goes too far. I am sorry that I bought it and will stick to the 1992 version from now on.

She-Wolves: The Women Who Ruled England Before Elizabeth
She-Wolves: The Women Who Ruled England Before Elizabeth
by Helen Castor
45 used & new from $1.61

4.0 out of 5 stars Reads Like A Novel, March 17, 2011
I can say that I did enjoy She-Wolves. It is quite long and at first glance might seem like a scholarly book, but its an easy read.

I was quite taken in with these women, despite what history tells us, these women ruled England as well as man of their time did.

Though, I do agree that the chapters on Mary Tudor and Jane Grey do feel a little rushed.

A worthy read and an excellent addition to my library.

Barney's Version (Movie Tie-in Edition) (Vintage International)
Barney's Version (Movie Tie-in Edition) (Vintage International)
by Mordecai Richler
92 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars The movie was better, February 24, 2011
I bought this book because I saw the movie, which I enjoyed. And I understand that books made into movies often have cuts and/or revisions.

However, the book did not pull me in and I had to force myself to try to get through. Do not buy this book, just wait for the movie to come out on DVD.

Sloane Hall (Five Star Expressions)
Sloane Hall (Five Star Expressions)
by Libby Sternberg
Price: $23.36
41 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, October 16, 2010
There are alot of writers who attempt to write fanfiction or updates of classic novels that will make fans want to forget they read the books and make the original writers (If they are not dead) spin in their graves.

Ms. Sternberg's book, thankfully is not one of them.

Charlotte Bronte's classic Victorial novel, Jane Eyre is transplanted to 1920's Hollywood, the genders of characters have been switched. John Doyle (Jane) is a young man out of a reform school who finds a job as a chauffer to actress Pauline Sloane (Mr. Rochester). They are attracted to one another, but secrets and her past threatens

Ms. Sternberg keeps to original plot of Jane Eyre, but keeps it fresh and interesting, regardless of whether the reader has or has not read the original.

My only qualm is that the jacket of the book says YA and I would not characterize this book as YA.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2010 3:52 AM PDT

Masterpiece Classic: Small Island
Masterpiece Classic: Small Island
DVD ~ Naomie Harris
Price: $12.96
39 used & new from $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Movie, October 2, 2010
I saw the preview for this movie during Masterpeice theater earlier this year and I was intrgued. I had never heard of Ms. Levy's novel previously, but I have become a fan of both the book and the novel.

The production is generally well done, matching the tone and characteristics of the original novel.

I would however warn those that have a preference for filmed version of books to be as accurate as possible that certain parts of the novel were cut out of the screen play.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4