Profile for Bogus Exception > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 118

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bogus Exception RSS Feed (Norwich, Connecticut United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Prolegomenon To A General Logosophistic Theory (Written In Paleo-Hebrew)
Prolegomenon To A General Logosophistic Theory (Written In Paleo-Hebrew)
by Daniel Deleanu
Price: $13.30

5.0 out of 5 stars It's in Ancient Hebrew, not Paleo-Hebrew., October 6, 2014
[Author feedback broken]

Daniel,

re: http://www.amazon.com/Prolegomenon-General-Logosophistic-Written-Paleo-Hebrew/dp/1105613089/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1412634530&sr=1-4&keywords=%22Paleo-Hebrew%22

...pictographs are Ancient Hebrew. Paleo-Hebrew used symbols. They are nowhere close to each other. I'm pretty certain your book is written in Ancient Hebrew. I think you meant to say Ancient Hebrew here, and not Paleo-Hebrew. Other books are titled properly.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2014 10:27 PM PDT

An Introduction To Ancient And Modern Hebrew
An Introduction To Ancient And Modern Hebrew
by Dr. Al Garza
Price: $33.16
14 used & new from $30.11

3.0 out of 5 stars This is not Ancient Hebrew... it's actually Paleo-Hebrew (distinctly different), October 6, 2014
[feedback to author broken.]

This is not Ancient Hebrew... it's actually Paleo-Hebrew (distinctly different) ...or sometimes called Middle-Hebrew or Paleo-Canaanite ...

But Ancient Hebrew is pictographs, not symbols. You know this, right? Or...?

re: An Introduction To Ancient And Modern Hebrew by Al Garza Th.D PhD (Mar 21, 2012)

The Old Testament Pseudepigrapha ( 2 Volume set)
The Old Testament Pseudepigrapha ( 2 Volume set)
by James H. Charlesworth
Price: $41.98
33 used & new from $38.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Much more than I expected-even for the price., October 6, 2014
not your typical photocopies. All text very clear. But beware these are soft bound in spite of their size/thickness. It makes me want to find a way to wrap them with a home-made hard cover-which would also allow me to add custom bookmarks, etc.

I'll update my resume after I dive into these... Still going through Josephus' Complete Works with a fine toothed comb! :)

Hand Knitted Kippah - Black
Hand Knitted Kippah - Black
Offered by A1 Skullcap
Price: $3.99
8 used & new from $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes me want to sew my own! :), October 6, 2014
This review is from: Hand Knitted Kippah - Black
Small diameter (by huge kippah standards), as a goy I find it nice & low key for when I'm in Temple/synagogue... thin/medium knitting, and very black.

The Ancient Hebrew Language and Alphabet: Understanding the Ancient Hebrew Language of the Bible Based on Ancient Hebrew Culture and Thought
by Jeff A. Benner
Price: $13.07
37 used & new from $13.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Was ANY of the Bibe written in Ancient Hebrew?, October 6, 2014
I just got the book, and will edit my review once I'm through it.

I have one question, though: Was any part of the bible written in Ancient Hebrew? Writing was well evolved in Abraham's and Moses' time, but I think I might have a book here that isn't relevant to the Bible. For example, have any Bible books.chapters been found at Qumran, etc. in Ancient Hebrew? I thought the earliest were all Paleo-Hebrew (or sometimes called Paleo-Canaanite)...

Don't get me wrong, Ancient Hebrew existed, but all I can find are examples of books/verses in Paleo-* ...

Any thoughts?

BPA-Free 16 Ounces Acrylic Tumbler with Straw, Double Wall, Green
BPA-Free 16 Ounces Acrylic Tumbler with Straw, Double Wall, Green
Offered by eToolscity
Price: $5.90
3 used & new from $5.90

4.0 out of 5 stars That is the only annoying thing about them, September 12, 2014
I wish I could get these without the top & threads... That is the only annoying thing about them... I have not tested them immersed for leaks...

The Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew and English Lexicon: With an Appendix Containing the Biblical Aramaic : Coded With the Numbering System from Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible
by Francis Brown
Price: $18.98
116 used & new from $14.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Required. The Gold Standard..., September 12, 2014
The Gold Standard. Why? It groups words by roots, and also yields String's numbers to cross-reference.

I ordered the 1979 edition, which was the last to apparently have an English dictionary, I was sent 2006 ed, but these facsimiles of the older text make mention, in the author/editor's words, that an english index was deemed outside the scope of the work...

So, was the ever an English dictionary? Now I wonder...

Interlinear NIV Hebrew-English Old Testament, The
Interlinear NIV Hebrew-English Old Testament, The
by John R. Kohlenberger
Price: $64.99
63 used & new from $32.80

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are digging for the truth, as you know it, you need all the interlinears..., September 12, 2014
I love this book. It is a necessary counter to the J.P. Green (OT/NT) Interlinear I have (I know this is just OT). It is actually thicker than Strong's or any other study bible I have, and has no droll commentaries-it gets right to the point. This leaves room for written commentaries by the reader. I have YT videos of my adding bookmarks to it, and already have rainbow Tabbies on it. The books line up with Christian order, not Jewish.

About the NIV in the outer margins. It is nicely placed, and the text is small enough to leave enough room on the stage for the main attraction-Hebrew. The NIV, though, is not what you would expect from a purely NIV translation. I mean, the NIV words/phrases are mostly there, but they are arranged to be more in line with the _grammar_ of the original Hebrew. If this doesn't make sense to you, ask in "Comments".

One thing I will tell you is that I have found the Zondervan translations to not be in line with most other translations of the same text-and I don't mean the NIV, but the Hebrew->English translation. The large, blue JP Green interlinear is more in line with traditional translations. Thankfully, you can compare them side-by-side, along with Briggs & Strong's and get an idea of what the original text meant.

But I'm telling you, just one word can change the translation of a verse dramatically. As the Masoretes altered significantly the Paleo-Hebrew to translate it, so too have the various authors of various translations altered it-and in modern times, unfortunately changed meanings to suit their own perverted designs.

I just seek the closest to the original, and I find the conflicts at even the most basic level both fascinating & annoying. This book will do you no good if you are fluent in Biblical Hebrew, but it is a great character-for-character reference for those of us seeking the true word in it's original form, as elusive as that is, for only then can we see the message untainted by the hand of Man-however well or ill-intentioned!

Basics of Biblical Hebrew: Workbook, 2nd Edition
Basics of Biblical Hebrew: Workbook, 2nd Edition
by Gary Davis Pratico
Price: $13.72
89 used & new from $4.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great partner to their 'cards', September 12, 2014
Very nice. Goes with the cards well! You need to really get the alephbet & Masoretic vowels down before this, though, as it kind of assumes you've done your pre-requisite homework ahead of time, only breezing over the requirement at the very beginning.

The Truth Which Was Kept from Us: Mysteries of the Past
The Truth Which Was Kept from Us: Mysteries of the Past
Price: $3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh... Just another commentary..., September 12, 2014
Hard to figure this out. Best I can tell, it is just some guy going through various books & select passages, trying to tell you the meaning(s) of what they say? I think we are swamped with commentaries that tell us what to think and what to see. Best is to point the way and not think for the reader, is my opinion.

We have enough sheeple as it is...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12