Profile for Bogus Exception > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 102

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bogus Exception RSS Feed (Norwich, Connecticut United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
American Rag Hat, Men's Thin Corduroy 6 Panel Driver Cap (L/XL, Black)
American Rag Hat, Men's Thin Corduroy 6 Panel Driver Cap (L/XL, Black)
Offered by Trinity Kays Kulture
Price: $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars blown away for the price with the quality & fit., August 27, 2014
XL for me, a 7 5/8, which is a head to big for most hats, and impossible for a "one size fits all". I was astonished to find it fit, but also had no annoying elastic in the band. The cord material is thicker than I expected, and for made in China the lines in the cord material were lined up exceptionally well on the 6 outer sections (a cap person knows what this means). The outer is a mix cotton/poly cord, but fells like all cotton (most a ll cords do). Linee is thin, floating, and 100% cotton. It is not a baseball cap with a covered bill (my biggest fear), the "bill" is not buttoned/snapped, material comes ALL the way to the end, and voted material is doubled over making for a nice "padded" bill.

I got a dark cord (amazon has an annoying habit of "reusing" reviews), and it is almost blak. But the "lines" in the cord material, which are from the white banking, make it an interesting pattern, yet subtle.

Aleph Isn't Tough: An Introduction to Hebrew for Adults
Aleph Isn't Tough: An Introduction to Hebrew for Adults
by Linda Motzkin
Price: $13.32
43 used & new from $4.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Big help for anyone not born a native speaker!, August 24, 2014
Really like the way it's laid out for a beginner adult. Would be good for a child as well. Follows a common method found in other books by starting with Shabbat, and adding little by little, and with plenty of oral AND writing exercises!

Only downside: It's really kind of short in the page/content department...

Bible Indexing Tabs - 85 Rainbow Bible Tabs for Old and New Testament including Catholic Books
Offered by countjoy
Price: $3.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Tried the all, these are the best... (I've tabbed about 12 bibles so far with them & competitor's), August 24, 2014
Love Tabbies! I've written detailed reasons why their competitor's products, and the Tabbies "Minnies" should be avoided in _most_ cases, so I won't bore you with copy/pasting. Once you buy one set, you will order a bunch and do up all your books with them. The colors of each book in each of the major sections are not consistent with every variation in the arrangement of the books in each bible. You can reposition them once applied by GENTLY raising a corner up with an extremely, dangerously sharp knife. Some I put on with the guide I only realized later were 'off' a little, and being Monk-ish (anal to the point of debilitation), I _had_ to reposition them...

Therefore, some wisdom: Do NOT press the adhesive down hard at _all_ until you are certain the tabs are all where you want them. I mean, like NO pressure except the weight of the pages as you go from book to book...If you ever have to move/reposition one (or you put the wrong tab on the right chapter/book (like I have), you will thank me!

This is no big deal, because most people don't have as many bibles from different faiths/sects as I do. Thankfully, the web site will show you all the versions of tab sets they have. They even have Noah's Ark to get the little one's minds brainwashed early!

The real selling point is, as I pointed out in the other review) that the tab portion that sticks out (are there names for these things?) are ROUNDED and not sharp corners. This will matter if you plan on handling the book at ALL, as with these insanely thin pages these days, as soon as one tab catches on something, you have a yellowing scotch taped MESS on your hands that will only get worse. NOTE: The "minnies" are NOT rounded. Instead of being 1"wide, they are 1/2" wide, and as such don't have much room for a 'radiused' corner and still fit the text.

If, however, you plan on never using the book, then any old tabs, or none at all, will do nicely. As with most things, the answer as to whether to use these or not is "It Depends".

Even if you buy several and hate the one you open for yourself, these are OUTSTANDING gifts, as they fit any size bible.

NASB MacArthur Study Bible
NASB MacArthur Study Bible
by John F. MacArthur
48 used & new from $13.24

3.0 out of 5 stars Understand what yuo are buying here, and the expertise/knowledge/caliber of it's [author and his] content., August 24, 2014
OK, I'm a little biased because I got this to the door in used condition (like new) for $10USD. So I'm trying to frame this review for someone who would pay full retail (who does that?). I study religion. I'm not even religious myself, but Spiritual in a positive, Shamanic way (preceding all organized, 'for profit' religions by hundreds of thousands of years). I'm not looking to be converted, nor I am looking to convert anyone. I attend Temple and church weekly, and am trying to learn Biblical Hebrew, as even the interlinear bibles can't agree on most any line of any verse (should that even be possible?)...

The Bad

That said, this is a book that is both a little self-serving for Mr. MacArthur (his initial on every chapter page is your first indication), but it is mostly... How can I put this... "Christ-ie", or "Christy"(?)... This is NOT a book Jews will like at ALL. The OT (Jewish Bible) has several charts and other trivia that try to make the OT Messianic (pointing to, discussing, dealing with [Jesus] Christ). He's trying harder than any other translator I've seen to make you think the Jews who wrote the OT were totally cool with the entire concept of Jesus. In fact, he even frames the OT as setting the stage for the OT, where Jesus is the one who will be the 'second coming", and not God him/her-self. I know this is not a new idea, but like I said, it is in your face & pervasive, and to the Jews who wrote the OT it is going to come as an annoying fault.

The Good

The NASB is thought by those who do this as the next most literal translation next to interlinears. For a person like me with lots of bibles, that is important, as I see things like "The Message" as dummy lights in your car compared to the guages you get with an interlinear. And I mean "dummy" in as many ways as you can imagine. The maps, historical timelines, and pretty much all the extra stuff that make Study Bibles so much fun is off the chart good. The references in the OT to related scripture in the NT is thankfully MOSTLY only there when the NT refers to the known-at-the-time books of the OT. Saying that the OT points to the NT is a little... 'naive', and yes, I also include inter-testament prophesies in that group.

I'm about to tab mine up with "Tabbies" (the rainbow ones rock!), so I'll describe the book for you a bit here next, like a 'normal' review would... You could stop a .22 with the front or back (hardbound) covers, which impresses me. Not because religious zealots are always trying to kill each other and it would be a good defensive weapon, but because I appreciate what we call 'build quality". Contrasting the thick cover is the usual microscopically thin thermal printing of the pages that publishers use to keep the book under 6" thick, and under 10 lbs in weight. In a test, I found that the paper didn't show black fountain pen ink through it as much as other bibles I have with that same 'you can breath through the paper sheets, they are so thin' paper. The first few pages, and correspondingly the last few pages, are from a MUCH thicker bond, where in the front you can record 'family bible' kinds of things (marriages, bris, ...) and the back is where you find on this paper the typical maps. On the last map, "The Holy Land in Modern Times", John labels the Palestinian occupied territories "Area occupied by Israel since 1967". Take that as you will, remembering that he is the sole editor/translator.

There are tons and tons of charts & maps, interspersed within the content. The structure of said content is double columns, with a center column for references, and the varying height of the bottom of the page for explanations (that are overall pretty good, compared with the JPS Study Bible. "How We Got The Bible" was a good short intro section, and I really liked reading his "How To Study The Bible", as he talked about how to best memorize the books in a way that I could see working for me & most folks. Authors just never talk about that kind of stuff.

This review could keep going long after it was useful, but I will let you in on another secret about our author-he is a hard core Creationist. An example of several is this gem from the "Introduction to the Pentateuch": "While the exact date of creation cannot be determined, it certainly would be estimated to be thousands of years ago, not millions."

Knowing ahead of time that I am reading a book by an ignorant author who refutes facts, it casts an unfortunate shadow on all of his work, which is exactly what the NASB is: His Version, his interpretation, his thoughts, etc. So you aren't getting a very faithful translation as much as you are getting his theories and ideas jammed down your throat, apparently legitimate & researched because he frames these made up facts/errors with facts and truths. That is the worst kind of deceit.

For this reason, I put the NASB, in all it's versions/releases into the same sad category as The Message. It isn't the work of teams of experts, but the writings of a self-proclaimed preacher of 40 years. He must fancy himself as walking in Collins' footsteps.

Bottom Line:

If you are, or know, someone who believes in the Creationist Theory, this is a book for them! If that person happens to also feel like the OT is Christian/Messianic, and not Jewish, they will LOVE this book. So you see, there is always a market for any author.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 27, 2014 11:54 AM PDT

Catholic Bible Indexing Tabs Great Adventure
Catholic Bible Indexing Tabs Great Adventure
by Ascension Press
Edition: Pamphlet
Price: $6.26
8 used & new from $4.85

2.0 out of 5 stars There are much better products for the same or cheaper., August 21, 2014
I do bible research, and have lots of different tabs from different companies.

I am only giving these 2 stars because of the quality (of the cutting between the tabs, makes them tear & leave some on the wax paper after removing), but more importantly the design. Also because there is a better set of tabs ("Tabbies"; in huge variety, where this company only makes 1) out there for the same or lower price. Customer service is one guy, and he's very nice & knowledgeable.

These are rectangular in all aspects, meaning they catch on everything. Also, because the adhesive & tab make a straight 90 degree transition to the page, they will easily tear today's microscopically thin bible paper (you know what I mean, the paper you can practically breathe through). There are sets that have the standard black text on very dark tabs, which is annoyingly unnecessary.

This design flaw means you must be extremely careful with the book they are in, and the tabs themselves. If you carry your books, or even read them anywhere but flat on a table, you're going to tear up your pages with these eventually when you forget to treat your book like nitro-glycerine.

Tabbies makes a vast array of bible tabs, but even they make ones in this design-their "Minis" (example of Catholic tabs {equivalent to these, but smaller for small books) are here: http://www.amazon.com/Tabbies-Bible-Index-Tabs-Catholic/dp/B0042LK1RK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1408662855&sr=8-3&keywords=bible+tabbies+mini), but because they are small, and do not protrude out from the edge much, they are actually pretty good. These tabs, though, are 1" (2x the size of the Tabbies Minis).

The ones you want, for the same or lower, if you want to use your books are these: http://www.amazon.com/Tabbies-Bible-Index-Tabs-Catholic/dp/B002UVA03E/ref=sr_1_1?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=1-1&keywords=bible+tabbies+color+catholic

On the back of each package is a list of all the versions they have-including Spanish, Kids, etc.

BUT the deal closer is that the tabs are ROUNDED, leaving no sharp edges. You can see all they offer here: http://www.tabbies.com/category.asp?Id={FD3F25D2-CD31-4861-B866-0679BA87A029}

Biblical Hebrew Vocabulary Cards [Cards]
Biblical Hebrew Vocabulary Cards [Cards]
by Raymond B. Dillard
7 used & new from $44.90

2.0 out of 5 stars I thought I'd seen 'cheap' cards already-I was mistaken., July 22, 2014
Not worth the "New" price. Not because of any translation issues, but because the paper is not even card stock. It is literally paper-as in writing paper-and the size is the same width as a business card, but right at 1/2 the height!

This wouldn't be bad if they'd used card stock, ugh... They are also keyed to lessons in a book somewhere, though the translations can be used without the supplemental study materials.. Hey, I paid less than $10 to the door, so I'm not going to bitch. :)

Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo 33.8oz/liter
Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo 33.8oz/liter
Offered by Todays Special
Price: $38.70
16 used & new from $28.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I never have to change shampoos to 'wash it out' of my hair!, July 22, 2014
Love all things PM!

STOP BEING LAZY! How To Master The Art Of Getting Things Done and Overcome Procrastination To Finally Achieve More (Free Bonus Audio Included)
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I started writing a review, but gave up WAY too early..., July 22, 2014
I was going to give it...

Going to lie down now...

Wireless PCIe Card BGN AR5BHB92 AR9280 Dual-band 2.4/5.0GHz 2x2 MIMO 300 Mbps 802.11b/g/n for DELL Toshiba Acer Sony Samsung Asus etc
Offered by cutekindservice
Price: $19.90
6 used & new from $19.90

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what yuo pay for, and I didn't pay much!, July 22, 2014
Meh... drops connections as much as the last one (4-5bars, in home)...

Tea Tree Lemon Sage Thickening Conditioner by Paul Mitchell, 33.8 Ounce
Tea Tree Lemon Sage Thickening Conditioner by Paul Mitchell, 33.8 Ounce
Offered by 40% OFF
Price: $23.87
39 used & new from $13.90

4.0 out of 5 stars I _thought_ I ordered shampoo! DOH!, July 22, 2014
haven't tried it! But I love all PM products, so it gets a 4 out of respect...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11