Profile for Shannon C. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 152

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Shannon C. "Reviewer" RSS Feed (USA)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16
Eden
Eden

4.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing paranormal romance, January 1, 2010
This review is from: Eden (Kindle Edition)
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. With no other reviews and a publisher I hadn't heard of, I didn't expect much. But I liked the characters and the story pulled me in.

Previously a private investigator, Catrina is a monster hunter. She goes after werewolves, vampires, etc. and often is hired by the monsters themselves. Her longest running client is the master of the city Viktor. Turned by the King of Vampires, Viktor has a lot of power and is Abraham Van Helsing's younger brother. When his vampires are being murdered, he asks Catrina to help determine who did it. He suspects the Alpha of the werewolf pack Alex did it. But when Catrina meets and becomes friends with Alex, she knows he's not the one. In fact, she's very attracted to Alex, which is difficult because she is already falling in love with Viktor. Then when one of Alex's werewolves turns up dead, they realize someone might be out to set the city's head of vampires and the head of werewolves against each other. It's up to them to work together to track down the murderer.

Only real negatives were that the book needed a better editor--there were a lot of minor typos, namely capital M's as if the author's M key had a glitch. (Kind of funny really.) And also the story wasn't all that original. I've read so many paranormal romances and urban fantasies, it's hard to find a vampire/werewolf story that doesn't remind me of something else I've read.

But all in all, an easy, entertaining read. I liked the romantic tension that built up throughout the book. The book also had good character development, with background provided on the characters and their actions.

Heather's Gift (Men of August, Book 3)
Heather's Gift (Men of August, Book 3)
by Lora Leigh
Price: $11.97
44 used & new from $3.93

1.0 out of 5 stars Distressing story, December 30, 2009
I like Lora Leigh's Breeds series and thought I'd give another one of her books a try. Boy, was I disappointed. I couldn't get into the story at all. Sam, the guy who supposedly has feelings for Heather, is sleeping with his brothers' women while Heather is in the same house. WHAT?? And Heather who is a virgin is told that if they will be together, she has to be with his brothers too. Tied up in leather and taken by force, if she doesn't want it. Again I say WHAT??? Heather just wants to love Sam and be with him, and not have him be with other women. But then she hangs out hope that it might work out even when she knows what he is up to. She should have left long ago. I like menage stories if they are done well, and this book didn't pull it off.

And then somehow Heather is kidnapped and cutup by the bad guy, but all that is really glossed over. How did it happen? How did they get her back? What exactly happened? Why doesn't she seem upset about it?

I also didn't even like Sam's character. He comes across as a mean jerk and crazy sometimes too. We're told that Heather's in love with him but we see no reason for her to be in love with him from their interactions. He treats her poorly.

And there is not good character development for Heather. We are told she is working security for the Augusts and sister to one of the security people, but know nothing about her background. Then all of a sudden she pulls a gun on the other brothers when they are trying to protect Sam and she's trying to protect Sam, and they have different ideas how to do that. WHAT?? She's supposed to be their security. Then she pulls the gun on Sam and in her words 'rapes' him. That's her first time having vaginal smex. Yeah, right. That's realistic. How loving.

All in all, the book really makes no sense. I can't recommend it. Didn't think I'd say that about a Lora Leigh book. It's almost like it was written by a totally different author than who did the Breeds series.

Walk on the Wild Side (The Others, Book 13)
Walk on the Wild Side (The Others, Book 13)
by Christine Warren
Price: $7.19
173 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A strong addition to The Others series, December 29, 2009
I've read most of The Others books and this one was one of my favorites. I especially liked that it was a unique story, rather than continuing the 'fantasy fix' theme that was in several other books. I also liked the main characters and the romantic tension that built between them. The story line did a good job pulling me in. Good job Ms Warren! A very enjoyable read.

Demon Moon (The Guardians, Book 2)
Demon Moon (The Guardians, Book 2)
by Meljean Brook
Price: $7.19
118 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Pull out your tissues, get ready for the emotional roller coaster, December 21, 2009
I've read a few of Meljean Brooks other stories and so far have found them to be well-written with complicated and interesting plotlines and intriguing characters. It's written more similiar to many urban fantasy novels I have read, but with a bit more emphasis on the relationship that develops between the two main characters.

In Demon Moon, we see characters that we met in the earlier Demon Angel novel including Colin, Savi, Hugh, Lillith, Michael and Sir Pup. I enjoyed reading Colin and Savi's story and seeing the other characters again. They fight against an evil Demon who is trying to take over the local vampire colony and harm humans.

The reason I gave the book four stars instead of five is because the book became bogged down towards the middle. But the ending picked back up and was great--an emotional roller coaster. It was kind of like when I read the third Jeaniene Frost Cat & Bones book. Just couldn't stop crying, but in a good way.

Not the author's fault but like Demon Angel, Demon Moon has a lame cover. I think they changed the cover designs for the later books in the series, and it'd be great if the publisher would reissue new covers for the first two books. This is definitely a case of 'don't judge a book by its cover'. Don't let the cover scare you from giving the book a try.

Must Love Hellhounds
Must Love Hellhounds
by Charlaine Harris
Price: $12.91
139 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Must read for all Kate Danels fans, December 21, 2009
This review is from: Must Love Hellhounds (Paperback)
I love the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews, which is why I purchased this anthology. That story alone would have been worth the price of the book. But what surprised me is that I also enjoyed all of the other stories. In other anthologies, I've often found that some of the stories were good while others weren't so much. It was great to find a collection that I liked all of them.

1. The best of the bunch, the Ilona Andrews tale is focused on Andrea and Raphael, Kate's friends. Occurring in the time period between books three and four, we see their relationship develop and their fight against Cerebus a giant hellhound to return Rafael's step dad's body to his mother for burial. It was a great read. You can read it standalone, but it's better to read the first three Kate Daniels books first because there are some things talked about that you just won't get without the back story. Also, important for Kate Daniels fans, YOU LEARN A KEY THING ABOUT CURRAN AT THE END OF THE STORY THAT IS NOT MENTIONED IN THE EARLIER THREE BOOKS. I can't wait for book four, so this short story was nice to help pass the time.

2. My second favorite, the Nalini Singh story was part of her new Guild Hunters series. I loved the first book of the series Angels Blood; I liked it even better than her Psy-changeling series. This story was focused on Sara and Deacon's relationship and occurs just before Sara takes the Director position. Sara plays a role as Elena's BFF and boss in Angels Blood. Provides a good back story to Angels Blood.

3. The Meljean Brook tale focused on Maggie, a former CIA agent who is working for
Colin and Savi (who we met in Demon Angel and Demon Moon). She works with Blake and Sir Pup to help find his sister who has been kidnapped. Like Brook's other stories, this one was well-written and engrossing.

4. The Charlaine Harris story was a surprise. I expected Sookie Sackhouse (which I like), instead it was more of a fantasy story about bodyguards helping a theif get into hell to steal something from Lucifer. An entertaining little read, but not quite what I expected.

Rosemary and Rue (October Daye)
Rosemary and Rue (October Daye)
by Seanan McGuire
Price: $6.78
124 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Good dark urban fantasy mystery, December 20, 2009
This book was well written in similiar quality to Patricia Biggs or Ilona Andrews, but with its own completely original storyline. The world that McGuire created was highly original and impressive, including the Fae politics, powers, etc. I've read several series incorporating the Fae and to date this one did the best job portraying them.

I liked the main character -- her strength, honor, practicality and humor. A dark sometimes depressing book, it was full of mystery, suspense, action, and adventure--with several scary, edge-of-your-seat moments. The sign of a good mystery, the ending was a complete surprise for me. I never guessed who the murderer was.

Negatives I'd share about the book is that it was too depressing and at some points seemed to bog down and drag. That's the reason for 3 stars instead of 4. I actually put the book down around page 120 and read a few other books before I came back across it and picked it back up. And if some good stuff had happened in Toby's life to offset all the negative stuff (e.g. would have been great to see development of the sparring with the Cat Sidhe king) I would have given it 5 stars.

The Beast in Him (Pride, Book 2)
The Beast in Him (Pride, Book 2)
Price: $11.02
94 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorites by Laurenston, December 20, 2009
A wonderful read by Laurenston, this book was full of zany humor, crazy antics, romance, action and suspense. I couldn't put it down--read it almost in one sitting!

The story really pulled me in. Geeky, smart girl makes good when she grows up; her former crush from high school shows up and is smitten; and then she leads him on a merry chase. The wild dog pack and their antics are hilarious. And I loved the Smith pack from the earlier books, of which Smitty the lead male character is part of. We see them again in this book. I liked the lead characters and great supporting cast.

All of her Pride Stories are terrific, with my favorites being this book, The Mane Attraction and The Mane Squeeze. I liked her Magnus Pack books to a lesser extent--still good but not great like the Pride Stories. I really enjoyed her Dragonkin series (written under GA Aiken). Check those out if you haven't already. My favorite in that series was What a Draqon Should Know. It was hysterical! Loved the characters. Laurenston has now surpassed Lynsay Sands as my new favorite for funny paranormal romance.

If you are on the hunt for more great shapeshifter romance, check out my list of favorites....
(copy and paste into your browser window)

Go Fetch (Magnus Pack)
Go Fetch (Magnus Pack)
Price: $12.15
48 used & new from $4.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly entertaining, lots of laughs, December 20, 2009
This review is from: Go Fetch (Magnus Pack) (Paperback)
Another great installment from Laurenston, this book was full of humor, romance, action and drama. The lead male character was just yummy. The female I had a harder time connecting too, but I was still interested to read the story. I'm looking forward to reading the next book.

I've read Laurenston's Pride Stories and Dragonkin series (written under GA Aiken) and they are even better than this Magnus Pack series. Be sure to check them out if you haven't already. Magnus Pack is still worth reading--all her books are. For a long time Lynsay Sands was my favorite funny paranormal romance author, and Laurenston/Aiken has taken over that spot.

If you are on the hunt for more books like this, check out my list of shapeshifter romance favorites...

(copy and paste into your browser window)

Eternal Pleasure (Gods of the Night, Book 1) (Leisure Paranormal Romance)
Eternal Pleasure (Gods of the Night, Book 1) (Leisure Paranormal Romance)
by Nina Bangs
167 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good paranormal romance, December 19, 2009
I'm not going to do a synopsis of the story, since that's been done already. But just wanted to add that I enjoyed this book. I had never read this author before and will try a few more of her books. The book was well written, with an original story and characters. I've read a lot in this genre and it was the first I've come across something like the Otherkin predators. I also liked the female lead. Even though she was an ordinary human and was placed in lots of scary situations, she hung in there and showed strength and courage.

The Mane Squeeze
The Mane Squeeze
Price: $11.72
77 used & new from $1.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud funny, great light read, December 18, 2009
This review is from: The Mane Squeeze (Paperback)
This was a great, light hearted read with lots of humor throughout. I loved the crazy stuff that happens as well as the main characters Lock and Gwen. The story was fast paced and made the book hard to put down. Only one little niggle was that I liked how Gwen's brothers were portrayed in earlier books but in this book in trying to portray them as protective of Gwen it seemed a bit overboard. Didn't seem to fit with the characterization of the earlier books. But that was a minor thing really. OK, and I just have to mention that I LOVED the thing about the bear shifters' lips. Enough said on that--you have to read it! Yummy!

All of Laurenston's Pride Stories are terrific, with my favorites being this book, The Mane Attraction and The Beast in Him. I liked her Magnus Pack books to a lesser extent--still good but not great like the Pride Stories. I really enjoyed her Dragonkin series (written under GA Aiken). Check those out if you haven't already. My favorite in that series was What a Draqon Should Know. It was hysterical! Loved the characters.

If you are looking for more books like this, check out my list of humorous paranormal romances...
(copy and paste into your browser address bar)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16