Profile for Donald Mitchell > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 482

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Donald Mitchell "Jesus Loves You!" RSS Feed (Thanks for Providing My Reviews over 127,000 Helpful Votes Globally)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Why Leadership Sucks(TM): Fundamentals of Level 5 Leadership and Servant Leadership
by Miles Anthony Smith
Price: $13.46
33 used & new from $12.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Leadership Literature, Christian, and Hands-On Perspectives on How to Be a Better Leader Who Accomplishes More, March 19, 2015
Don't let the title mislead you. Mr. Smith is writing about the difficulty of being a servant leader, as followers of Jesus Christ understand that concept. My first impression from the title was that the book focused on all the bad leadership practices that people experience in the workplace.

A good summary of Mr. Smith's point of view can be found on the back cover of the paperback edition. "This kind of leadership is uncomfortable, humbling, self-denying, painful, and counterintuitive; nonetheless, it is the only kind of leadership that brings lasting results, genuine happiness, and true self-fulfillment."

In writing the book, Mr. Smith draws extensively from concepts in well-regarded leadership books, such as "Level 5" leadership in Good to Great. For those who haven't yet read many of these books, Why Leadership Sucks provides highlights from such books that will help readers gain a better perspective on the leadership task, as well as its difficulties. At times, the book reminded me of the early works by Brian Tracy where he so effectively summarizes many fine business books.

Another source is Mr. Smith's Christian faith. For Christians, this perspective will be welcome. Many books on leadership don't attempt to bridge the gap between the secular perspective on leadership and the faith-based one. I thought the integration worked effectively. For non-Christians, this book can be a perspective on why servant leadership is sought by believers, despite its pains and difficulties.

Finally, Mr. Smith interweaves his own experiences as a fledgling leader at relatively young ages. I think that these perspectives are the most valuable parts for readers who are new to leadership concepts and experiences. I know that I would have greatly benefited from such advice as I took on business leadership roles while in my twenties. I would have avoided a lot of mistakes had I done so.

Who should read this book? I definitely recommend it to anyone who doesn't read much of the leadership literature. Perhaps the person who will gain the most is someone who doesn't want to act in an arbitrary way as a leader, but has no idea of what to do instead. A young leader will obviously gain more advantages by being able to apply the lessons over more years.

I generally agree with the book's contents. I only found myself disagreeing more than agreeing in Chapter 29: Marketing and Mad Writing Skills Needed. Take the advice there with a grain of salt. Mr. Smith knows a lot more about leadership than he does about marketing.

Congratulations, Mr. Smith!

Ben Hogan: The Myths Everyone Knows, the Man No One Knew
Ben Hogan: The Myths Everyone Knows, the Man No One Knew
by Tim Scott
Price: $19.05
51 used & new from $14.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Glimpses of an Intensely Private Man, March 6, 2015
"So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God." -- James 1:19-20 (NKJV)

This quote from James comes closest to any Bible verse I know for capturing the spirit of Ben Hogan as expressed by Tim Scott's book. The man revealed by this book is someone who has known deep sorrow and pain, found success difficult to gain, and was transformed by the discipline of seeking improvement while retaining faith in God's guidance. Such a man is never going to be transparent to others, except to the extent that he chooses to be so.

As I read this book, I was reminded of the many pleasant lunches I've enjoyed after a round of golf where someone told me a personal anecdote about golf or a golfer that revealed some important truth that enriched my interest in and knowledge of the game and those who love it. While I normally read books quite quickly, I decided to slow down and savor this one. I knew that I wasn't going to be reading another book that would allow me such pleasant enjoyment of learning more about the amazing Ben Hogan.

Tim Scott has an advantage that enriches the book for readers: He worked with Ben Hogan from 1969 to 1982, permitting him opportunities to observe him up close, both at work and on the golf course. In addition, Mr. Scott knows many of the people who had private relations with Hogan, and he wisely draws on those observations to flesh out a public image that's quite negative with personal observations that few could make. Like most of us, Ben Hogan was different while stalking a championship on the course or preparing for a round than while dealing with a moral issue in private. Most people only saw the public face, a stern one that intimidated opponents. Hogan didn't appear to care what the public image was, choosing usually to remain silent about criticism.

Tim Scott takes a number of well-known observations about Ben Hogan and challenges them, almost as an advocate would, with counter evidence. In doing so, the book doesn't become inaccurate ... but rather balances out what is known with some of what is unknown.

Here are some of the "myths" that Mr. Scott addresses:

"Ben Hogan was just a mean person, an aloof recluse who cared only for himself."

"Ben Hogan was an uncooperative, arrogant, indifferent star who rudely snubbed and belittled the press."

"Ben Hogan was an uncooperative, unbending, uncaring superstar who thought only of himself."

"Ben Hogan was a mechanical ball-hitting machine that only needed to be wound up before teeing up a golf ball."

"Ben Hogan was a cold, selfish, self-centered man who did not respect others."

"Ben Hogan had no feelings."

"Ben Hogan was a selfish little man who cared nothing about anyone else, particularly his fellow competitors, and gave little back to golf."

As you can see, these are harsh criticisms, ones that most people would care to defend themselves against. Hogan's desire for privacy caused him to ignore these rebukes in public. As you can see, many of the comments are similar. Consequently, some of the defenses repeat the same evidence ... creating a certain amount of redundancy that will cause you to be able to anticipate arguments by the book's end.

I particularly enjoyed the parts of the book about what it was like to play with Hogan, the many photographs that illustrated aspects of his public and private life that I didn't know about, and some of the factual debate ... such as did Hogan win four or five U.S. Open Championships.

Never having been a very good golfer and not having studied the sport in depth, many of the explanations of Hogan's swing went right over my head. You'll probably understand them better than I did.

However, during one of the coldest and most miserable winters I've experienced in New England, this book warmed my heart and reminded me of happy days on the fairways and in the clubhouse. Let it do so for you, regardless of the weather when you read it.

Hit 'em safely to the right landing spot!

Supreme Commander: MacArthur's Triumph in Japan
Supreme Commander: MacArthur's Triumph in Japan
by Seymour Morris Jr.
Price: $18.49
86 used & new from $3.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought-Provoking Perspectives on Military Occupations, June 24, 2014
"Now the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace." -- James 3:18 (NKJV)

If you are looking for a book that will teach you everything you want to know about Douglas MacArthur, this isn't it. If you want a thoroughly written history of the end of World War II in the Pacific and the American occupation of Japan, you'll be disappointed. However, if you want to absorb key lessons about what to do with a defeated nation after war ends, Seymour Morris, Jr., provides some useful perspectives that will give you food for thought.

This book is comprised of vignettes that focus on major decisions and turning points in the occupation of Japan. Unless you know a lot about MacArthur and Japan, at least some of these vignettes will contain new information for you.

While I had read at least a little about everything mentioned in the book, I had never seen all the perspectives put together in one place. Through reading the book and mentally chewing on its contents, I was able to see a number of new lessons about what kind of leader is needed when a nation is occupied. While I probably wouldn't have thought that MacArthur would be such a leader had I been alive in 1945, I can now see why in many ways he was a superb choice.

The main takeaways for me related to the current conditions in nations such as Syria, Libya, Iraq, and Afghanistan ... and how those conditions might be improved. I would have loved to see the book bridge that gap explicitly, rather than obliquely from time to time.

The book's main drawback is that the details aren't always right. I found myself boggle-eyed in astonishment at some of the mistakes in the book. I wondered how many other details were wrong that I didn't happen to know about.

I also found myself adding a couple of new perspectives about what the use of the atomic bomb meant after seeing the descriptions here of how effective the Navy blockage had been at the end of World War II and the Japanese plans to increase the use of biological warfare against the United States.

May there be fewer wars, so that building skill in occupations will be less necessary.

David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants
David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants
by Malcolm Gladwell
Price: $17.39
376 used & new from $5.03

4.0 out of 5 stars Five for Entertainment, Three for Usefulness, October 19, 2013
"Then David put his hand in his bag and took out a stone; and he slung it and struck the Philistine in his forehead, so that the stone sank into his forehead, and he fell on his face to the earth. So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone, and struck the Philistine and killed him." -- 1 Samuel 17:49-50 (NKJV)

I enjoyed every single story in the book. Mr. Gladwell is a fine storyteller. My disappointment was that the book didn't provide more practical advice.

There are three parts: the advantages of disadvantages (and the disadvantages of advantages), the theory of desirable difficulty, and the limits of power.

In the first part, the title could just as easily be: misunderstandings about advantages and disadvantages. They key lesson actually comes from the first story about how an experienced basketball coach built a winning team around extreme defense ... because the team didn't have much else going for it: make the most out of whatever advantage you can gain. The most practical application came in the material about how it's better to go to a lesser college and be a star there than to not be a star at a more highly regarded college.

In the second part, the title could just as easily be: slow down and notice what's going on. The examples show how concentration ... despite difficulties in doing so ... yields great insights and results.

In the third part, the title could just as easily be: don't push people too far, they'll get stronger in resistance.

So if you thought this book was going to give you some huge new insight from academia, I doubt if that will be the case. If you hoped to find some bit of practical advice for what to do differently, there's little past some good principles. The college lesson, however, is worth the price of the book for any high school seniors who will soon be making such decisions.

Enjoy some fun reading!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 8, 2014 5:58 AM PDT

Never Go Back: A Jack Reacher Novel
Never Go Back: A Jack Reacher Novel
by Lee Child
Price: $17.49
555 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Beginning Followed by a Less Exciting and Challenging Road to Resolution, September 18, 2013
"And let him who is in the field not go back to get his clothes." -- Matthew 24:18 (NKJV)

I admire three things about the Jack Reacher novels:

1. Reacher's lifestyle is so unusual that it opens my mind to seeing new possibilities.
2. Reacher is put into impossible-seeming situations from which he easily escapes, without that result seeming obvious in advance.
3. The books open with such improbable and fascinating circumstances that you can't help but marvel at the imagination that led to creating them.

Never Go Back is pretty good in terms of points one and three, but definitely lacks the gusto we've grown to love in terms of how challenging the situations are. For me, that made the book's ending (which I didn't like) a little too predictable ... causing the book to lack a lot of the suspense that grips the best books in the series.

Definitely read this book, but you shouldn't expect it to be your favorite in the series. If you mostly read the books for the impossible-seeming situations, you might even rate this book below average.

Keep moving forward!

The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby (Tantor Unabridged Classics)
The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby (Tantor Unabridged Classics)
by Charles Dickens
Edition: MP3 CD
Price: $44.99
14 used & new from $24.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Villains You'll Hate, Victims You'll Hurt for, and Greed You'll Despise, September 18, 2013
"And whoever gives one of these little ones only a cup of cold water in the name of a disciple, assuredly, I say to you, he shall by no means lose his reward." -- Matthew 10:42 (NKJV)

Let me clear that I am reviewing the unabridged reading by Simon Vance.

Dickens can seem remote to us today. The settings and problems don't exist in the same format. Underlying thdse differences, however, there are universal truths that are still with us: greed leads to harming others, love is kind, doing good is admirable, and children and vulnerable people should be protected. Dickens has a marvelous way of drawing characters who, although exaggerated, ring true ... and elicit strong emotions from us through their dastardly and good actions. In part, this is true due to the large differences between those doing good and those doing evil. In part, it's because Dickens knew how to reveal a stony or a kind heart in ways that are unforgettable.

I find that listening to readings of the Dickens novels makes them seem more current and relevant. Good readers bring out more of my emotions and help me not to miss important parts of how Dickens portrayed his characters. Simon Vance has done both quite well from my perspective.

While the plot line here won't often dazzle anyone with its complexity or unpredictability, the key to this book's success can be found in the set of astonishingly well-drawn characters: Ralph Nickleby, Wackford Squeers, Smike, Mrs. Nickleby, Newman Noggs, Frank and Ned Cheeryble, and Sir Mulberry Hawk. Even several of the minor characters receive careful development, intensifying the reader's (and listener's) ability to relate to the story.

As in the best of Dickens' novels, there are some astonishing ironies included in the plot that make finishing the book feel especially rewarding. Keep with it, even if you feel a bit overwhelmed by over 30 hours of listening.

Enjoy a good long drive with this recorded book!

Joyland (Hard Case Crime)
Joyland (Hard Case Crime)
by Stephen King
Price: $6.70
594 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Stephen King Novel for the Rest of Us, September 11, 2013
"A merry heart makes a cheerful countenance,
But by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken." -- Proverbs 15:13 (NKJV)

I know many Stephen King fans, and I'm fascinated by his writing methods and style. Yet I find his books hard to take due to the ghastliness involved in many of them. Consequently, I don't read many. I'm glad that I made Joyland an exception. It's a superb book with only the tiniest aspects of what normally repels me (and obviously attracts many others).

Characterizing this story according to genres is a challenge. It's clearly an homage to the carney world. There's a murder mystery. It's also a coming-of-age novel. And, of course, there's a non-Biblical supernatural element. Ultimately, the book is perhaps best understood as being gracious and full of charm, upholding the idea of doing the right thing. If that's the kind of uplifting book that appeals to you, consider Joyland. The book is written from a male perspective in every sense, so don't expect the kind of cosiness that a book with a woman's perspective often brings.

Mr. King does a great job of adding many appealing, and unforgettable characters, the kind that you might like to have as friends, coworkers, and neighbors. I can't remember many novels of this length that succeed so well in this regard. Excellent!

Perhaps the best thing to say for capturing this book is that while many of Mr. King's books start from fragments of a nightmare he has had, perhaps this one story started with a daydream while sitting under a pleasant apple tree as summer retreated into fall.

Nice going, Mr. King.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2013 1:25 AM PST

A History of Opera
A History of Opera
by Carolyn Abbate
Price: $35.89
52 used & new from $20.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Deepened My Understanding of Opera and Gave Me a Framwork for Thinking about New Questions, September 2, 2013
This review is from: A History of Opera (Hardcover)
"Sing praises to God, sing praises!" -- Psalm 47:6 (NKJV)

Having lived far from a major opera house for all of my life, I had a weird view of what opera was like based on the sorts of operas that can be staged in small venues with tiny budgets. I've seen Lulu so many times that I could recite the lyrics.

About ten years ago, I began making the effort to travel to the major houses where I could hear the standard repertory that opera buffs know and love, especially the Met in New York. The experience was transforming. I fell in love with opera, and I can't get enough.

Yet, hearing so many wonderful operas for the first time raised all kinds of questions in my mind about why the composers made the choices they did. I felt certain things were right ... and others didn't work very well ... but I didn't know how to describe my feelings. A History of Opera gave me a framework for my reactions.

Like many good books on a subject about which I would like to know more, this one raised more questions in my mind that it answered. I liked that. It will enrich my thinking for some time to come.

I feel very grateful for the book.

Its main shortcoming for me is that it doesn't say enough about the roles of the most effective modern performers and conductors, influences that strike me as worthy of more attention than I found here.

If you already know a lot about opera, I suspect the book will seem simplistic to you. If you are trying to learn, I think you'll like the book quite a bit.

As to the main thesis about opera being only about museum pieces, reasonable people can differ about that. I think the discussion could have been enriched by considering the somewhat parallel challenges that classical music has faced in this regard.

Hidden Order: A Thriller (The Scot Harvath Series)
Hidden Order: A Thriller (The Scot Harvath Series)
by Brad Thor
Price: $17.65
391 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Genre-Crossing Delight!, August 21, 2013
"For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers ...." -- Titus 1:10 (NKJV)

As much as I have enjoyed the prior Scot Harvath thrillers, A Hidden Order took me to a higher level of delight. Harvath is playing several new roles here as he represents the Federal Reserve in trying to save the lives of four people who have been kidnapped. This placement of Harvath in the story gives an outside-in perspective that breathes new life into the character. Further, much of the story takes place near by home ... in locations I know well. How could I fail to be delighted by a story with so much local content (at least for me)? Also, Harvath has to show he has a heart here ... something that makes any character more fun. Against that backdrop, there are crazy killers, bizarre crimes, symbolic acting out, and many misdirections. While the story certainly isn't perfect, it's just a great book to read in August on a warm evening as you listen to the crickets. There's a full moon now ... why not start tonight?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2015 8:49 PM PST

The English Girl: A Novel (Gabriel Allon)
The English Girl: A Novel (Gabriel Allon)
by Daniel Silva
Price: $17.55
427 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Mystery Wrapped in a Secret Surrounded by an Enigma, August 21, 2013
"Immediately the king sent an executioner and commanded his head to be brought. And he went and beheaded him in prison, brought his head on a platter, and gave it to the girl; and the girl gave it to her mother." -- Matthew 6:27-28 (NKJV)

If you haven't read any of the earlier books in this distinguished series, I highly recommend that you read at least some of the earlier books before The English Girl. Much of the pleasure of this book comes from seeing its action in the context of what has gone before ... and seems to be promised in the end for the future.

If you are a series fan, I think you'll like this book better than most of the recent ones. The story is closer to the roots of what good espionage fiction does best: draw away the curtain of pretense to show the naked thirst for control that leads to desperate times and measures. As a fine writer of such tales, Daniel Silva has pulled together a story that will seem predictable ... but will leave a few surprises for all but the most discerning reader. In that sense, the book is a bit like those nesting Russian dolls ... seemingly always having yet another one inside.

In addition, there's movement in the story line for the series. I won't write more in that regard lest I spoil something.

I especially liked the way that Gabe Allon becomes involved in all kinds of matters that aren't really his business, but which he feels obliged to do anyway in the name of honor and friendship. There's a good lesson for everyday living here: do the right thing and you'll please some people and amaze the rest (to paraphrase a Samuel Clemens quote).

There's also an element of destiny here. We do have lives to which we are called to lead. Often, such lives aren't our first choice ... but they often open doors to places much finer than we ever expected to experience. Such could be the case here. See what you think in this regard.

Bravo, Mr. Silva!