Profile for Rob > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Rob "rjk" RSS Feed (Cortlandt Manor, NY United States)

Edimax EW-7228APn 150Mbps 11n Wireless Range Extender/Access Point with 5 Port Switch
Offered by HometownTV Plus
Price: $19.99
34 used & new from $16.32

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Product - Even Better Support, August 29, 2013
This device does an admirable job of what I purchased it for -- to extend the range of my wireless network to the back rooms of my house. It didn't seem worth the $75 - $100 I had seen charged for other units, especially when wireless routers themselves can be had for $30. At $30, this is an incredible bargain.

I gave it only 4 of 5 stars because I have had some very frustrating configuration issues with it. After following instructions very carefully, the settings very often seemed not to "take." And, during power outages, where both the router and the Edimax go out, I can lose configuration settings.

I contacted Edimax customer support on the last such occasion. For $30, I also received incredibly responsive, intelligent and patient support. The customer support rep really understood and evaluated what was going on, rather than simply providing a rote script ("try rebooting your router"). This is *so* important, not to be left to the vagaries of internet message boards when you are trying to solve a problem with a product. Would that Belkin, Linksys, Netgear and the rest were so professional and responsive. Way to go Judy!

Edimax will certainly be on my short list for my next geek geer purchase.

Groundless Grounds: A Study of Wittgenstein and Heidegger
Groundless Grounds: A Study of Wittgenstein and Heidegger
by Lee Braver
Price: $34.56
43 used & new from $20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Braver than most, July 22, 2012
This is a delightful book for those already familiar with Heidegger and Wittgenstein, and (I think) for those who are not. Braver's scholarship is first rate, but what makes this book positively FUN (yes, I said that of a post-philosophical philosophy book) is his lucid and easy style (including some pretty funny off-hand comments), rendering two of the more obscure philosophers accessible, perhaps even ready-to-hand.

I DO have objections to some of the statements in the book, though I'm not sure whom I'm disagreeing with -- Wittgenstein. Heidegger or Braver. Perhaps all three. Because of his modern clarity, Braver is even more unequivocal than his philosophers in stating some of their core positions, especially with respect to the deconstruction of philosophy as it has come to us over the last couple of thousand years. But, I often feel that a straw man is being constructed and then attacked for its faulty construction. Again, I'm not sure who is so constructing.

I'm nearly finished and do appreciate the lively synthesis that Braver is putting together. I'll miss the book when I finish it. It's the best time I've had with philosophy in a long time.

WIFI 10 dBi 2.4GHz Antenna
WIFI 10 dBi 2.4GHz Antenna
Offered by WellGoal
Price: $2.81
22 used & new from $1.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Bother, June 20, 2012
I purchased this hoping that it would help wifi reception in my house. It did not. Wifi reception is *worse* than the OEM antenna. It's very cheap, but still not worth it.

The New Language of Business: SOA & Web 2.0
The New Language of Business: SOA & Web 2.0
by Sandy Carter
50 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars beware the edition you order and prices too good to be true, February 1, 2012
I ordered this book "new" from an Amazon marketplace seller. $3.00 + $3.99 shipping.

What I received was in fact a "Special Edition Compliments of IBM" that had only 4 of the chapters from the "real" book (and they were the chapters with the most consultant-speak blather in them).

I note that the back of the book says "NOT FOR RESALE" on it, so I'd imagine the seller (whose name I've forgotten) is breaking the law.

Not happy

Pull: The Power of the Semantic Web to Transform Your Business
Pull: The Power of the Semantic Web to Transform Your Business
by David Siegel
58 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars an rousing vision, August 5, 2010
This is an invitation to the sort of conversation the Semantic Web / semantic tech community desperately needs. Consider this the first draft of your market requirements document.

Indeed "Pull" should help to 'pull' along the discourse about linked data, triple stores, reasoners, ontologies and OWLs -- which are fascinating in their own right -- into a point of view that is ends-oriented, rather than just means.

Ironically, Mr. Siegel's book is about what semantic technology MEANS - or COULD MEAN -- for the world of commerce, education, consumerism and private lives. It turns the internet inside out -- it's no longer a display and a keyboard; it's "out there" in the physical, everyday world. Hopefully, somewhat inconspicuously.

The book is eclectic, dabbling in lots of things that aren't strictly 'semantic' (including an oddly-placed re-write of the tax law). And, I don't know that I agree that I want any entity or set of entities to house my personal data locker -- I might just bury mine in the backyard. Finally, "personal data locker" needs quite a bit of unpacking -- what are its parts? how does it work? how is it used? It tends to be a homonculus or black box -- there when needed doing what's needed

But these are quibbles. Pull is a rousing vision, whether you agree with the premises in detail or not. Unlike most business-oriented books I've read, it is not boring. It is highly imaginative.

Being and Time: A Translation of Sein und Zeit (SUNY series in Contemporary Continental Philosophy)
by Martin Heidegger
77 used & new from $2.77

3.0 out of 5 stars Back to Macquerrie, April 12, 2003
In case you've not already ordered the new translation of Being and Time -- I'm more and more dissatisfied with the terminology the translator has adopted. She's refused most of the hypenation of terms that kept Macquerrie closer to the German and adopted some weird coinages that don't lend themselves to tracking the network of concepts that Heidegger presented. The sentences seem to be a bit cleaner and less perambulating, but it seems at the expense of accuracy ...
I'm on page 71, and have decided to go back to Macquerrie for my second pass-through.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
by Les Martin
Price: $9.75
210 used & new from $5.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant Surprise, June 12, 1999
I was looking for a "fun read" on vacation and, being a fan of Blade Runner, thought I'd pick this up. If you're looking for fidelity to the movie, never mind. On the other hand, this turns out to be much more interesting and cerebral than the movie attempted to be. I'd call it a piece of philosophical sci-fi, posing questions that -- sooner or later -- we'll have to confront.