Profile for Leigh Egan > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 27

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Leigh Egan RSS Feed (Atlanta)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Altra Furniture Carson 48-Inch TV Stand, Black and Cherry
Altra Furniture Carson 48-Inch TV Stand, Black and Cherry
Price: $79.00
18 used & new from $79.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Missing several necessary pieces, February 18, 2014
While the larger parts were included, the entire package of wooden doles and several screws were not included.This is not what I expected after reading such great reviews.

Nintendo 3DS Cobalt Blue with Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Nintendo 3DS Cobalt Blue with Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Offered by O' MY GAMES
Price: $238.95
30 used & new from $114.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Original, January 26, 2014
There is confusion about this being a bundle, but as the description says, the game comes pre-installed into the system. It works great. My daughter hasn't put it down since Christmas.

Qi, the Journey of Your Life
Qi, the Journey of Your Life
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Journey from the beginning to end, April 25, 2013
This is a wonderful book, especially for those who are looking for a better meaning to life, and for those who are overworked, stressed, and need to decompress. Qi follows the journey of a successful stockbroker who finally decides to take a well-deserved vacation, and ends up spending the majority of his time in the Himalayas with monks who have no need for worldly goods and stress. Although it's accidental that he ends up in the mountains with these monks, watching his transformation from anger, resentment, pain, and acceptance is truly amazing. The writer makes you feel you are right there, taking the journey yourself.

Qi is witty dramatic, thought-provoking, and enlightening all wrapped into one book. It helps us to step aside from ourselves and the hectic world most of us have grown accustomed to, and see what another part of life can give us if we are just willing.

There isn't anyone I wouldn't recommend this book to. Hans Peter Roel is a wonderful writer, and I think people of all ages can get something from this book.

Ask Your Guides: Connecting to Your Divine Support System
Ask Your Guides: Connecting to Your Divine Support System
by Sonia Choquette
Price: $13.48
120 used & new from $3.57

5.0 out of 5 stars We Have That Many Guides?, August 2, 2011
I understand that there is a lot of skepticism surrounding books such as spirit guides, angels, spirits and anything to do with the "other side." However, I tend to keep an open mind about such things, and enjoy reading books on the topic. A friend had recommended this book after reading it a few times, and I decided to give Sonia Choquette a try, since I'd heard that she was a psychic with amazing abilities.

"Ask Your Guides" is a book about just that: Asking your guides. Choquette goes into depth about the plethora of guides that are always around us and available to help, if only we ask. Each guide has a different purpose that can help up through trying times. Examples of the guides include Spirit Guides, Runners, Teacher Guides, Helper Guides, Animal Guides, Light Beings and Joy Guides. If you are looking for lost keys, then ask your Runner Guide for assistance. If you feel you are always in a bad mood, then call on your Joy Guide to help lighten your mood. Again, each guide has a specific purpose, and Choquette explains in depth how to summon your guides, and the function of each of them.

Choquette goes on to talk about energy and healing, and even how you can radiate senses and energy from friends who are far away. So the book isn't just about guides, but about how to apply your own energy to connect to the world.

I think the main question people will ask before buying or reading this book is "Does it Really Work? Do We Really Have Guides?" From my own experiences, I can say I've lost a few things here and there and used Choquette's techniques, and sure enough the phantom items showed up. Coincidence? I'm not really sure, but I'd like to believe that we really do have an army of guides out there waiting to help us. Even if not, it is definitely an enjoyable read.

Mario Kart DS
Mario Kart DS
Offered by BuymoreSavemore
Price: $35.00
202 used & new from $9.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Hit for Mario, August 2, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mario Kart DS (Video Game)
I never thought I would get into too many DS games, but when I saw my daughter playing this and how much fun it looked, I gave it a try.
I'm familiar with the other Mario Kart games, yet I had never actually played until I played this one, so keep in mind, this is a review from someone who went into playing this game blindly, only knowing the main characters from previous other Mario games.

First, I want to start by saying how surprised I was that I enjoyed a racing game so much. I'm usually more into the platform games and usually "steer" away from any kind of game related to racing, but this one was the exception. It's fun for all ages, and my daughter I had lots of fun playing this together. Figuring out the buttons was simple enough, and making Mario (or your character of choice) race to victory was pretty fun.

The graphics are pretty amazing for a handheld like the DS, and again I was surprised at just how colorful and creative the characters and scenery was. I've seen my daughter play quite a few DS games, but only a few have measured up to the graphics in Mario DS.

My favorite part however, was just having a reason to get to play again with the same characters I grew up playing with. From Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong and Princess Peach (and a few others), I was happy to hear their typical sounds and watch their expressions. This is also a pretty in-depth game in which you can unlock extra tracks, play solo mode or go straight for the Grand Prix. There is enough there to keep you occupied for quite a while.

My daughter to this day still plays Mario DS. In fact she just started a new game, which prompted to write a review on how pleased I am to finally find a game that can be played for years without getting bored. With the prices of games these days, this is definitely a blessing.

I'd recommend Mario DS to just about anyone who likes fun family- friendly games. You just can't go wrong with Mario!

Shrek The Third (Full Screen Edition)
Shrek The Third (Full Screen Edition)
DVD ~ Mike Myers
Price: $5.00
301 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Still Shrek But........, July 31, 2011
I don't know of too many movies that can capture the creativity and originality of the first Shrek, including the second one as well. That being said, we have been Shrek fans since the day we saw the first one in the theaters, and haven't missed one since.

The plot is that of a usual Shrek plot, where Shrek is caught in a dilemma that he has to find a way to get out of. His dilemma in particular is that he in no way shape or form wants to take over as King when Fiona's frog---dad passes on. This embarks Shrek on mission to find next of kin, which happens to be a high school kid named Arthur (Justin Timberlake). Shrek sets off on a mission to find Arthur, but runs into problems when Arthur refuses to go with him. Meanwhile, back at Far Far Away, Fiona and gang have their hands full as Prince Charming and his entourage of bitter and vengeful fairy tale character attempt a take-over.

The ending, of course, is a happy one, and without giving too much of the plot away, Shrek, Fiona and the rest of the "good" gang end up getting what they want.

Overall, this is a decent movie for Shrek fans. It is definitely not the best in my opinion, but fans will appreciate the silly humor and references that are so common in Shrek movies. However, if you haven't seen this movie yet (as most Shrek fans probably have), just keep in mind that you probably won't come away thinking this is as good as the first one. For Shrek lovers though, it's worth the watch.

Take Me Home Tonight
Take Me Home Tonight
DVD ~ Topher Grace
Price: $6.03
67 used & new from $0.49

4.0 out of 5 stars 80's Music at its Finest, July 30, 2011
This review is from: Take Me Home Tonight (DVD)
Being a young child growing up the in the 80's, I'm always up for a movie that brings back the nostalgia of that time period. Unfortunately, that can be quite hard to find at times (Remember That 80's Show?), but once in a while there is a gem (such as Hot Tub Time Machine). Since this movie was named after a popular 80s' song, and I am a fan of a lot of Topher Grace's work, I figured "Take Me Home Tonight" may be up to par at least as far as acting and music goes.

The plot is the typical plot of a loser guy pining over a girl he's had a crush on since high school, yet never had the courage to tell her. Years later, he still feels that nagging crush, and decides he has to lie about his life in order to even have a chance. This has been done in countless other movies (Can't Buy Me Love comes to mind, although the girl was in on the lie in this particular movie). However, what set this movie apart, as thought, is the acting. Topher Grace and Dan Fogler make an amazing team as best friends, and have the perfect chemistry when they interact, hitting their lines at the right moment. Throw in Anna Farris as the smart yet sarcastic sister, and you have some wonderful comedic acting going on.

The music is timed perfectly, and is placed just at the right time in the right scenes. The selection is of course, some of the most popular 80's songs that I can hear almost every weekend on those radio stations that bring you back for a night by playing old school music hour after hour, but yet I never tired of any of the songs just because they complimented the movie so well.

I don't want to tell too much about the plot of the movie, but as usual, the ending is a happy one. However, there are a lot of twists and turns throughout that actually had me guessing.

This is by far not the best comedy out there, but it's good enough for me to watch again and recommend to my friends and anyone else who wants a good laugh and to be taken down memory lane again.

Little Red Riding Hood
Little Red Riding Hood
by Candice Ransom
Price: $3.99
130 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Tale with a Wonderful Message, July 14, 2011
This review is from: Little Red Riding Hood (Paperback)
I bought this book looking for a way to introduce my daughter to the classic story in a way to her that she would enjoy. I remember reading the story when I was a child, and I pretty much to use my imagination as there were no illustrations. Not only are there wonderful pictures, but the ending is more age-appropriate than the original.

For the most part, the book follows the original story pretty closely. However, the author adds in advice here and there to children, such as, " Never Talk to Strangers," and other things you would like your child to remember. The illustrations are wonderful, and keeps kids interested in the story and the lessons behind it.

The ending is a lot better in my opinion, as the "Big Bad Wolf" doesn't chomp down and eat anyone. My daughter was only three when I purchased this book, and I was pleasantly surprised to see an alternate ending.

The story flows well, and there aren't any boring parts that will leave kids bored. The version I read years ago was a bit more elaborate, but I clearly remember wanting to skip pages and get to the good part. Everything is the "good part" with this book, according to my daughter, who was glued to the book through its entirety.

Again, I just can't say enough about the illustrations. Illustrations are an important factor to young children, and each page was filled with beautifully illustrated characters that went along perfectly with the story.

There are a ton of "Little Red Riding Hood" books available out there, but this one is one of my favorites. If you are looking for more age-appropriate material for small children, this would be the perfect pick.

Look Who's Laughing: Improve the Quality of Your Life by Adding More Humor
Look Who's Laughing: Improve the Quality of Your Life by Adding More Humor

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning the Art of Laughter!, July 7, 2011
People have always told me that I have a keen sense of humor, and I tend to make light of stressful situations when most others would be on the edge. After hearing that quite a few times, I decided to find a book about how you come to acquire your own sense of humor, and to basically find out more about it. A sense of humor is something most people don't think about or research, so I thought this would be a unique and interesting read, and I was correct.

This book delves into the how's and why's of your own personal sense of humor by asking you questions about your past, your family's sense of humor, former teachers and television shows you watched as a kid. After doing that I began to see why my humor is what it is. There was always laughter in my family, and we were taught to laugh at ourselves in a healthy way, and to find the humor in little things. This comes second nature to me now, but it was interesting to learn where my humor originated.

The book also goes on to give tips on how to refine your own sense of humor, and how it can help you effectively get dates, land jobs and be socially successful. I really enjoyed how the author emphasized to never "fake" laughter or try to take on a sense of humor that is not your own. The book explains just how to find your own sense of humor, and how to bring it out. This part of the book is beneficial to folks who are shy and quiet, and would like to "break the ice" without panicking.

The part that I loved the most was the chapter going over children, and how you really have to maintain a healthy sense of humor when it comes to raising them. Children and teens do things that will drive parents up a wall, but if you sit back and realize that their actions aren't quite as bad as you think, you will find some of their antics humorous, and that in turn helps both parents and children. It also goes over how to help your children develop a healthy sense of humor, and I found that to be extremely helpful as well.

All in all, this is an excellent read for anyone no matter where you are in your life. Whether you are shy and would like to learn how to be more humorous or if you've always been the class clown, there is something in this book for everyone.

Dancing with Death: The True Story of a Glamorous Showgirl, her Wealthy Husband, and a Horrifying Murder
by Shanna Hogan
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
47 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Story But....., June 29, 2011
I'd never heard of this story until I saw this book. I'd never heard of Marjorie Orbin, and knew nothing about her life or the crime that had taken place. I went into this story blind except for the fact that, judging from the book cover, she obviously was the villain.

"Dancing with Death" starts out "OK," and the author did a good job in covering Marjorie's "adult" past, but from the psychological aspect of true-crime, I like to delve into their childhood history and see why these lunatics end up becoming murderers. There was just absolutely nothing about Marjorie's childhood included, except the place where she grew up, a scant section on high school, and that she had one sister. Maybe it's because the information was just not available since the author did mention Marjorie never talked to her parents, and rarely, if ever, her sister. That being said, there was minimal information from past school friends, teachers, neighbors etc. You don't really get a good look at Marjorie until she's an adult going through relationship troubles.

Once I got the main portion of the story, it did keep me reading. However, there was just something missing from this book that I can't quite put my finger on. I guess it seemed to me that the author was too much of an outsider looking in, and wrote the book as if she's been given a bunch of notes and had to come up with something. Now, aside from Ann Rule's "The Stranger Beside Me," most authors ARE on the outside looking in, but many authors immerse themselves so deeply into the case, that it reflects in their writing, and you come away feeling as is you know the families, case, and everything about the story as if you were right there too. This author, for me anyway, just couldn't nail that.

On a brighter note, I did learn a great deal about the case and what happened. A cold-hearted and extremely selfish individual who wants it all and doesn't want anyone standing in her way of getting what she wants, takes matters into her own hands. I think that true-crime buffs may find the way it all panned out intriguing, but the writing was just a bit off to me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 4, 2011 8:26 PM PDT