Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Shop Now HTL
Profile for Joshua D. Jones > Reviews

Joshua D. Jones' Profile

Customer Reviews: 83

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Joshua D. Jones RSS Feed (Nottingham, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
This is England
This is England
DVD ~ Thomas Turgoose
16 used & new from $19.85

2.0 out of 5 stars good theme but ...the plot?, October 29, 2007
This review is from: This is England (DVD)
The themes of masculinity, and disallusioned youth seeking justice are great themes. I applaud the makers for taking it on. But what it lacks is something key to entertainment: an interesting story. It comes off as a mere social commentary in which Thatcher's 80s are subtley compared to the present. There was good acting, especially by the protagonist. But there was no real solution or direction given and therefore left one feeling a bit hopeless at the end.

Critique of Modern Youth Ministry (Canon Press Monographs)
Critique of Modern Youth Ministry (Canon Press Monographs)
by Christopher Schlect
Price: $7.00
41 used & new from $1.94

3.0 out of 5 stars good thoughts stretched too far, October 11, 2007
This is a booklet, not a book. It is an essay that can be read in half an hour.

It is also a fresh perspective that all parents and youth workers should read with regard to their teens. His basic thesis is that youth groups are fulfilling e calls us to bring youth ministry back int he home and questions the legitamacy of youth groups merely existing.

I agreed with many points but felt that he made too many unfounded points, that his arguments were not grounded well in either reason or scripture. He would make valid, scriptural points about family and then preceed to call for the erradication of moder youth ministry. His view of youth culture is almost completely negative and he proposes that we should be radically counter cultural as the church by not having a youth culture. This is an idea that provokes good thought, but one which he does not, in my opinion, esablish well enough. Redeeming youth culture as opposed to running from it is a mission at the heart of many youth ministries. If the author wishes to discredit this approach, he should have gone deeper in scripture to do so.

The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name
The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name
by Sally Lloyd-Jones
Price: $8.99
191 used & new from $4.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Great art, great theology, great storytelling, October 11, 2007
The art in this book is amazing, its a real treasure.

The theology that is communicated is both deep and simple. I wish someone had explained these things to me as a child.

The story telling is great, the author is a real poet and wordsmith that attracts the admiration of even the parents reading it.

The grat Bible stories are told in such a way that they form one big story with Jesus as the main character. Its a childrens book in which Jesus is central and our children are free to be a much loved secondary character.

Makes a great gift.

Fracture (Widescreen Edition)
Fracture (Widescreen Edition)
DVD ~ Anthony Hopkins
Price: $4.99
232 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Never sure what will happen, September 17, 2007
There's a few things that make this film one of the best of 2007:
1. It is not predictable. You believe the film will end one way and then the twist gets you.
2. Hopkins and Gosling do some great acting, especially together.
3. The plot idea is fairly unique: A man kills his wife and is playing a chess game with the prosecuting attorney with confessions and evidence.

I also liked the director's previous film "Frequency" so if you liked that, you may well like this, it is similar in genre.

The only possible draw back is that it does seem to drag on a bit two-thirds the way into the movie. They could have cut out a few scenes there.

All in all, great film.

Highwaymen (2004)
Highwaymen (2004)
DVD ~ James Caviezel
Price: $4.18
113 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars predictable action flick, September 17, 2007
This review is from: Highwaymen (2004) (DVD)
This movie is fairly predictable. In the beginnig the villan kills the hero's wife and in the end the hero gets revenge and a new girl. Jim is a good actor as always and the idea for the film being set in cars and on the road is a bit unique.
It is suprising that there are not better car chase scenes in a movie that centers on the road. The movie also failed to provide any great twists to the plot that might keep one guessing.
If you don't mind simple action movies, then you may like this film. It is the epitomy of cheeseburger cinema.

Practicing Passion: Youth and the Quest for a Passionate Church
Practicing Passion: Youth and the Quest for a Passionate Church
by Kenda Creasy Dean
Price: $14.36
92 used & new from $0.24

3.0 out of 5 stars good message, could have been better said, August 29, 2007
Dean's thesis is that our churches lack passionate youth because we are not passionate about the death of Christ for our sins and his resurrection (i.e., His passion). It goes as follows:
1. The Passion of Christ shows God's passion.
2. Youth who understand this lives passionate lives that bring God glory
3. Our youth are not living passionate lives which bring God glory
4. Therefore, we must not be emphasising the gospel; the Passion of Christ as we should be.

I wholeheartedly agree with the direction this author is trying to take and welcome such a refreshing voice that believes that youth groups should be about more than pizza parties, they should be gospel centred in preaching as well as practice.

The reason I only gave this book containing this great thesis is as follows:

1. I had hoped to be able to give this book to my youth leaders, but the style is too long and scholarly. It could have been said in much fewer pages as she seems to bring up the same ideas more than once. I believe that this book was her thesis paper converted into a book. It does not easily lend itself to group reading outside of academia.

2. The author does not deal with scripture very much at all. I found this unusual since the book was calling us to theological depth in emphasising the atonement. I believe that one cannot be truly successful in developing a Christian theology for youth ministry unless the ideas are cultivated from Scripture. That is not to say I believe her ideas heretical, they are (mostly) biblical. It's just that the reader is forced to take Dean's good ideas as just that, speculative ideas. If she had interacted more with scripture the reader could have walked away with a greater confidence knowing the thesis is based on revelation and not mere speculation.

I liked what she is saying and recommend the book to those who have time to read and are engaged in leadership positions in youth ministry.

The Constant Gardener (Widescreen Edition) (2006) Ralph Fiennes; Gail Egan
The Constant Gardener (Widescreen Edition) (2006) Ralph Fiennes; Gail Egan
DVD ~ Unknown
Offered by Music Spot 1
Price: $5.00
33 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A political thriller that tells a good story, August 27, 2007
To begin with, I would probably be on the right of the political spectrum and have no problem with multi-national business or globalisation. So, when I say that I liked the film in which the hero was a left-wing activist and the baddies were the multi-national company I hope that lets you know the movie actually tells a good story and is not the latest Al Gore political propaganda movie. It is a thriller with a touch of romance; and a well written one at that.

The girl activist in question is married to a minor diplomat in Africa who looks after gardening (hence the title). She delves too far into what a drug company is doing in Africa and gets killed because of what she knows and is threatening to expose. Her husband, who up until then liked to stay out of her work to pursue his more mild manner diplomatic work, then follows the clues to unravel the mystery involved in his wife's death. In the process he finds out just how faithfully his wife really did love him. I won't expose the ending, but it tells a real story with all the twists and suspence that makes for good story telling.

The footage is great as it was all filmed here in Kenya with locals playing minor roles. I watched it with my wife and we both really enjoyed it.

A Generous Orthodoxy: Why I am a missional, evangelical, post/protestant, liberal/conservative, mystical/poetic, biblical, charismatic/contemplative, ... emergent, unfinished Christian (emergentYS)
by Brian D. McLaren
Price: $13.13
270 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars a few good bits, August 25, 2007
Its hard to pin this guy down. he doesn't seem to want to take a stand on much that is not PC. That does make him controversial.

His point about the Bible being narrative theology was well done, though I've thought about the Hebrew taking of the promise land in quite the terms he described. He seems to be open to evolution as an idea, which may bother some, but he doesn't really dwell on this. At one points he mentions that the substitutionary atonement was not in the original creeds and seems to infer that perhaps shouldn't be among our fundamentals (though he doesn't say this directly). Many others, including myself, see this as one of the very foundations of Christian belief and how one can practice the presence of God (which he calls us to) without experiencing this truth atonement puzzles me. I also am not sure what he has against the Patriarchs in the Bible bt he apologises for the fact that patriarchy is there.

His presentation of the Anabaptists was great. So was his presentation of Pentecostals and contemplatives, two groups that aren't often associated. He does sight the reformed faith as being a creed which led to slavery in the new world or at least justified it. As far as I know, it was the Northern part of America which tended to be of the reformed faith and the south (especially the rich slave owning ones) tended to adhere mostly to the Anglican Church. (I am neither)

I would disagree with one of his presuppositions, namely, that we need to change our message because we live in a dynamic context. I disagree. There is nothing new under the sun. The problems of sin, immorality, evil, depression that faced my parent's (and McLaren's) generation are the same today. Our reaction to them maybe different and our culture may be different, but our problems are the same and we need the eternal gospel preached to us, though perhaps in a different form, we need the same message.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2010 9:18 AM PST

DVD ~ Gerard McSorley
Offered by Sparks DVD Sales
Price: $8.66
34 used & new from $0.86

4.0 out of 5 stars helpful, August 25, 2007
This review is from: Omagh (DVD)
I'm actually an immigrant to Northern Ireland. I live half an hour from Omagh and I found the film helpful in understanding a bit of the areas history. Most of the local people recount the story just like it goes down in the movie. I have friends here who lost relatives in the bombing and they testify to the intensity of the tragety which is well portrayed in the movie.

Happy Feet (Widescreen Edition)
Happy Feet (Widescreen Edition)
DVD ~ Carlos Alazraqui
Price: $4.50
357 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Al Gore, lttle story, August 25, 2007
The movie was an environmental film that tried hard to get in a message with little story being the result. I gave it 2 stars just because the "latino penguins" added a small bit of much needed humor.
Basically a penguin gets exiled by the leading "pastor penguin" because he dances and in his journey he discovers how mankind are destroying the planet. He then dances for the humans and their hearts begin to open to the fact that they should stop fishing and stealing all the penguins fish.

And that's about it.