Profile for Laura Clark > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 21

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Laura Clark RSS Feed (TX United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
New Vampire Online (New Vampires Book 2)
New Vampire Online (New Vampires Book 2)
Price: $2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Painful., March 5, 2014
I received a copy of the book free in exchange for an honest review, via StoryCartel. And, honestly, that is the only reason I read the entire book. About a quarter of the way through the book, I came to Amazon to read the reviews, hoping to find that the story got better; the plethora of 4 and 5 star reviews honestly boggles my mind.

The main character, Cate, is a vapid, socialite bimbo. She and the other main "good guy" vampire characters treat feeding on humans with a callow disdain that turned my stomach. Referring to human victims as "menu items" or "fast food" made me root for all the vampires to meet a sudden, painful end.

In addition to the unsympathetic characters and a very thin, not-at-all-riveting plot, the book was riddled with punctuation, grammar, and typographical errors. Either the author or her editor should invest in a grammar handbook and actually study it. The author also used a strange combination of real names for real places and made-up names for real places that I didn't understand at all. If you're going to describe the exact location and reputation of a world-famous hotel, why bother changing the name? It made it look more like she forgot to fact-check than that she changed the name for...well, whatever reason she changed the name for. There were also a couple of continuity errors and strange things that a vampire having trouble going to sleep for the day that just made me shake my head.

One last thing that really bothered my about the book was the "vampire pinch." Yep, it's the Vulcan pinch, only apparently only for vampires. Really?

Overall, I felt like this book was a waste of my time and energy with nothing to recommend it.

Sliding Past Vertical
Sliding Past Vertical

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't Put It Down!, September 22, 2013
Anytime I pick up a book and become emotionally invested in the characters, I begin to imagine how the story might play out, how I'd like it to end for those involved. Laurie Boris has a knack for telling stories that do not go exactly as I first believe I would like them to --and yet I always love the way her books play out. Sliding Past Vertical is not an exception. Without giving anything away, there are twists and turns and bits and pieces that I would never have wanted the characters to do or experience, and those are the very parts that make this such a rich story...well that and the fact that I feel like I actually knew the characters, like they were people I'd encountered (or, occasionally, had been). Loved this book start to finish, and, as always, I can hardly wait to see what Ms. Boris gives us next.

The Joke's on Me
The Joke's on Me
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Do Yourself a Favor - Buy This Book, July 9, 2013
This review is from: The Joke's on Me (Kindle Edition)
If you've read any of Laurie Boris's other books, like Drawing Breath or Don't Tell Anyone, you already know what an amazing storyteller she is. You know that she knows how to blend drama and comedy in a way that...well, that pretty much emulates life. And if you haven't read any of her work before, you should start immediately. The characters, the story line, the prose, the dialogue, the descriptions...all great. The Joke's On Me sucked me in from the get-go, and I had to force myself to put the book down long enough to do things like go to work.

Anker® T320 Ultrathin (4mm) Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard for iOS (iPad Air, iPad Mini 2, iPad 2 / 3 / 4), Windows and Android 3.0 and above OS with Built-in lithium battery / Aluminum Body
Offered by AnkerDirect
Price: $59.99
2 used & new from $25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great alternative to a laptop, July 5, 2013
When paired with my smartphone and a good word processing app, this makes a great substitute for a laptop. It's infinitely more portable, and it works great. I haven't encountered any issues with the keyboard, and it's been a game-changer for me.

Mail Order Millie (Homespun Book 1)
Mail Order Millie (Homespun Book 1)
Price: $0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Anachronistic!!!, June 23, 2013
Couldn't even finish reading this. Seeing phrases like "hooking up" in historical fiction is enough to give me nightmares. Plot is thin. Writing is sophomoric, at best.

Dead Is the New Black: Fashion Avenue Mysteries (A Fashion Avenue Mysteries)
Dead Is the New Black: Fashion Avenue Mysteries (A Fashion Avenue Mysteries)
by Christine DeMaio-Rice
Price: $13.49
30 used & new from $3.65

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging 'cozy' mystery, April 25, 2013
I very much enjoyed this thoroughly readable cozy mystery. The characters were engaging, the mystery was just mysterious enough to keep me guessing, and the peek inside the fashion world was fascinating. I especially liked the interplay between the main character and her family, particularly her sister. I was also pleased that the story didn't fall into some of the traps that other writers would have gone for. Definitely adding this series to my to-read list.

You Hate Me Because I'm Pregnant (a survival guide for expectant dads)
You Hate Me Because I'm Pregnant (a survival guide for expectant dads)

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh Out Loud Funny...and More, March 23, 2013
Sometimes funny, sometimes poignant, but always passionate and honest, "You Hate Me Because I'm Pregnant" is a must-read for dads and prospective dads (and moms and prospective moms, too), as well as recommended reading for aunts, uncles, grandparents, godparents, and anyone else who has ever come in contact with a parent or child. There is a lot of wisdom and good advice here, salted liberally with humor and snark. The book, broken down into short "essays" that make for easy reading, will keep you engaged and turning pages from start to finish.

*In the interest of full disclosure, I received a copy of the book for free for evaluation purposes. I am also friends with JD and have been involved in a creative collaboration with him. That said, this review is as honest as his book. It's a great book by a great guy, so buy it already! :)

Don't Tell Anyone (Trager Family Secrets Book 2)
Don't Tell Anyone (Trager Family Secrets Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Had my doubts, February 6, 2013
I wasn't sure I wanted to read a novel about cancer. I lost my dad to lung cancer in 2002, and I tend to shy away from books or movies that deal with the big C.

That said, I'm so glad that my love of Laurie Boris's writing drove me to read "Don't Tell Anyone" despite my reservations. The story isn't all gloom-and-doom, and it wasn't `a downer'. It's a very _real_ story about very _real_ characters dealing with an utterly crappy situation. It's easy to connect with. And there's even a certain sort of healing in it.

I can honestly say that I would - and do - recommend this novel for anyone at all who enjoys a good book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2013 6:28 PM PST

Comin' Around
Comin' Around
Price: $5.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Magic, September 11, 2012
This review is from: Comin' Around (MP3 Music)
These days, music is more miss than hit, but the six songs on this EP are all raw, genuine, emotional rock and roll gems. I'm wasn't going to bother with a song by song breakdown, but I changed my mind. Maybe my long-winded review coupled with the music samples can give someone a little insight.

The short version is that this EP is proof that rock and roll isn't dead, and that magic still exists.

The long version goes like this:

The members of Elvis Monroe - singer Bryan Hopkins, guitarist Ben Carey, drummer Ryan MacMillan, and bassist Matt Nelson - are no strangers to writing or recording great music. Individually, they have contributed to more albums than I care to count, many of which met with great commercial success. As a group though, the band has spent the last year pooling their talent. The initial result is a six-song EP called Comin' Around.

I'm not a big fan of genres - I don't like to pigeon-hole creative works - and Comin' Around doesn't fit neatly into any one category, anyway. Call it pop, rock, singer-songwriter, alternative, or melodic rock - whatever you call it, it's good music.

All six of the songs on the EP are true gems, not only when compared to the noise that comprises most of radio these days but in their own right as well. It's hard to choose a stand out, because they are all stand outs.

The opening track, Black Clouds, is a post-relationship song that manages not to wallow in despair. It's a catchy, up-tempo song with a beat you can't help moving to and guitar riffs that echo in your head long after the song is over. The lyrics also offer a bit of hope and perspective right from the get-go: "Somewhere there's a light on. Somewhere there's a meaning for all this - pain and bliss."

The second track, Green Light, is another up-tempo tune. This one captures the thrill of that first moment when you meet someone and sparks fly but also the point where a relationship hits a roadblock and you fight to get it back on track. All this with a danceable beat.

The EP slows down a bit on the third track, Comin' Around. This is one of the two most emotional songs on the EP. The pain of loss and the hope for better days are almost palpable. The lyrics, vocals, and music all carry the emotion, compounding the effect until it seeps into every pore of your being.

Track four, Rewind, picks up the pace again. It's another catchy song, but it's also much more than that. The lyrics are meaningful as well as memorable, and it's those and the guitar that really stand out on this song. I'm not a musician, so I don't have the proper terms for what's going on with the guitar in this song, but I can say it's one of my favorite bits of guitar work. Period.

Track five, Leave Me, is easily the most emotional track on the EP. The song opens with acoustic guitar, and within the five seconds, it's set the tone for the story the lyrics tell. Add the drums and bass, and it's enough to give you chills. Add Bryan Hopkins's powerful, emotional vocals, and you'll find a lump in your throat. With the lyrics thrown in, you just might find yourself with tears in your eyes or an ache in your chest. If not, you may need to get yourself to a doctor to see if you have a heart - or to a priest to see if you have a soul. The song ends without a flourish or much warning, and I find this to be a stroke of genius, an echo of the lack of closure that comes with the sudden end of a relationship.

The closing track, Beautiful End, is aptly named. It's a beautiful song, sad but hopeful. The song's strength is in its simplicity, its raw, stripped-down presentation. It's the perfect song to round out a great collection of music.

Elvis Monroe, with the help of producer Jay Ruston (and, if I'm not mistaken, various co-writers), has put together an amazing debut EP that showcases both the writing and musical talents of the group's members. It's an excellent first offering and I can only imagine great things ahead for both the band and its fans.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 12, 2012 11:47 AM PDT

Drawing Breath
Drawing Breath
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Go Read It, August 23, 2012
This review is from: Drawing Breath (Kindle Edition)
Don't bother spending time reading these few words, cobbled together into semi-coherent thought. Don't bother reading any of the other reviews, either. Just read the book. You'll be glad you did.

Still here? Still want to know more? Fine. This is one of the most beautiful, compelling, inspiring, heart-rending books I've ever read. Nevermind the usual drivel about characters and plot and well-crafted prose. This is the sort of book where you don't notice those things, because you're not just reading a story, you're inside of it. From the first paragraph to the final word, Laurie Boris draws you into Caitlin and Daniel's lives and lets you live their story with them.

I honestly can't say enough good things about the book or recommend it highly enough.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3