Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now DOTD
Profile for Not a Clue > Reviews

Browse

Not a Clue's Profile

Customer Reviews: 51

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Not a Clue RSS Feed (Redondo Beach, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Langston Pulley 31 1/2" Wide Chrome LED Island Pendant
Langston Pulley 31 1/2" Wide Chrome LED Island Pendant

4.0 out of 5 stars Great design, could use more light., September 8, 2013
This replaced a fixture with three halogens that we loved until about the third time a transformer or bulb failed. It is a wonderful minimalist design. My wife and I both independently picked it as the only design worthy of replacing what we had.

However, the equivalent of a 40 watt bulb is barely enough light, and it has to be lower than we would like in order to read without supplemental lighting. I suspect it cannot be upgraded to higher wattage due to heat in s sealed compartment. Other designs with more power and dimmable don't have the elegance or height adjust-ability of this one. It seems to me they could provide better ventilation above the bulb to allow higher wattage without significantly compromising the design.

My wife thinks the light is too blue ("colder" in the counter-physical nomenclature of lighting) while I prefer it to normal "warm" lighting.

Corona RS 4040 Razor Tooth Folding Pruning Saw, 6-1/2" Blade
Corona RS 4040 Razor Tooth Folding Pruning Saw, 6-1/2" Blade
Price: $16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Glue the nut on, then it's great, October 28, 2011
I have gone through several of these, clearing brush in wilderness. They are compact, lightweight, and safe to carry. The bolt tends to unscrew after awhile and parts are easily lost. Standard hardware, but it's a good idea to glue the nut to the bolt to avoid the problem.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 2, 2016 8:27 AM PST

SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger unit, Orange/Black
SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger unit, Orange/Black
3 used & new from $125.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Usually works, August 13, 2011
My unit worked for the first year, but is flaky now. I read the directions as meaning the message was sent when the GPS light stops blinking, and teh Message light continues for 20 minutes to indicate the message was actually sent. What it REALLY means is that the message MIGHT have been sent. Apparently they have no confirmation that the message was actually received by a satellite. They wrote me that they recommend leaving it on for the full 20 minutes, but of course that does not mean the message was actually sent either. I used it for an emergency before learning that and sent it twice anyway, but did not wait long after the GPS light turned off. At least one message did go through, but I have no idea whether both did. It is really inconvenient to wait 20 minutes just to send an OK location message, and my wife called the forest service once when I was late getting back to the car and my message at the road did not go through. So far it has worked for at least one of every two messages.

It is also annoying that they renew it automatically each year and you have to cancel before the term is up to avoid another annual fee. A competitor would be welcome.

Metamucil Multi-Health Fiber by Meta, Orange Smooth Sugar Free 114 Teaspoons 23.3 Oz
Price: $16.45
24 used & new from $10.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, deceptive labeling, May 1, 2011
I know how much psyllium husk I need, and had assumed from this product was almost all psyllium. As a result, I did not use enough. If you read and calculate carefully, the stuff is only 58% psyllium. That matters because I need more than their standard, because weight sometimes is important on wilderness trips, and because it's hard to do price comparison without knowing the amount of the active product in the package.

Hoover T-Series WindTunnel Bagless Upright
Hoover T-Series WindTunnel Bagless Upright
Offered by Next Day MRO
Price: $152.05
5 used & new from $73.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Won't fold down to get under obstacles, December 22, 2010
This appears to be the model we bought and returned elsewhere. After assembly, I discovered it could not fold down to reach under obstacles and was also inconvenient to use with extensions. We bought the "Bissell Lift-Off MultiCyclonic Pet Upright Vacuum with Detachable Canister, Bagless, 89Q9" that not only folds down, but has the motor in a detachable canister for sucking ceiling spider webs et al.

If you are just cleaning floors, there are also other vacuums in the same price range as this one that are more versatile.

The Long Thaw: How Humans Are Changing the Next 100,000 Years of Earth's Climate (Science Essentials)
by David Archer
Price: $12.21
63 used & new from $6.52

4.0 out of 5 stars Revelatory perspective though sometimes confusing, September 28, 2010
We have all seen the projections for the current century, which generally don't affect property values beyond the beachfront. If you don't have children or close relatives, that is all that matters to your genes. Otherwise the long term matters a great deal. Global warming ranks with nuclear war and asteroid impact as likely terminators for our species within a millenium, and the only one for which prevention has additional quality of life benefits.

That said, the presentation is a bit confusing. The various past events, the evidence for them, and their significance are scattered through the book in a confusing order. There is also an error in the final paragraph -- a gallon of gasoline yields about 31,000 kilocalories, not 2500 -- so its ratio of warming to useful work is ONLY 3 million rather than 40 million. And of course the emphasis on effects leaves little space for the evidence AGW, which is readily available elsewhere.

Back to the plus side, the book is compact (less energy both to produce and to read) and the evidence is consistent with the conclusions.

BTW, the latest models in the book indicate no ice age in 50K years even without AGW.

GE 28821FE2 Dect 6.0 Digital Cordless Phone and Digital Answering System Featuring GOOG-411 with 2 Handsets

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice design, bad echo, August 10, 2010
We taped over the blue light, and liked the phone for awhile.
Then we noticed the echo effect on the extension, which has since become bad on the base station too. We need to get a new phone because it has become unbearable and noticeably annoying to both sides of a conversation. We are looking for a replacement.

Just Tomatoes Just Veggies (8-Ounces ), Large Pouch (Pack of 2)
Just Tomatoes Just Veggies (8-Ounces ), Large Pouch (Pack of 2)
Price: $14.38
3 used & new from $14.38

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent backpacking supplement, June 16, 2010
Backpackers need lightweight nutritious nonperishable meals. One option is expensive specialty freezedried complete meals, which I usually find neither nutritious nor tasty. Otherwise, you can buy inexpensive fairly fast cooking mixes in supermarkets and supplement with either vegetarian or omnivorous products. These are the extremely light and the quickest vegetables available, and usually excellent flavor. The reason they get only 3 stars is that unopened packages seem to deteriorate in months rather than years. At least some went bad when my local Whole Foods moved them from a prominent display to various corners of the produce dept, where they did not seem to be selling. The clear container makes the deterioration evident in the worst cases, but it may not be as tight as others.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 19, 2015 5:35 PM PST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect xylitol gum, March 22, 2010
We have tried a couple of xylitol product brands and researched others. Most of them use dubious Chinese corn xylitol, and the other bulked it up with unnecessary additives. Ricochet uses American hardwood xylitol, a good formulation, and it's relatively cheap in the 100-piece can. We use the packs of 12 to carry in the car for convenience though. I think their peppermint is too strong, but the spearmint is nice; my wife thinks the opposite.

Walking the Munros Vol 2 - Northern Highlands and the Cairngorms (Cicerone British Mountains) (v. 2)
by Steve Kew
36 used & new from $2.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall perhaps the best guide, but double check directions, November 24, 2009
The hiking routes are generally described well, but the directions to parking are skimpy for foreigners. I realized the route I was using for An Teallach matched the starting description, but the stream on the map was on the wrong side. After a substantial detour cross country, I found a trail that worked but also did not match the map. It turned out that my original route was correct, but the map was wrong. Real topo maps should be necessary only for the mountains themselves, not entire approach when there is a clear trail.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6