Profile for Mike > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 486

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mike RSS Feed (Pahrump, NV)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Jeffrey Gitomer's 21.5 Unbreakable Laws of Selling: Proven Actions You Must Take to Make Easier, Faster, Bigger Sales...Now and Forever
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars More than enough "new" content to justify a purchase, February 25, 2015
It looks like Jeffrey has retired his ongoing "Little Book Of..." series. I've also noticed that he's updated The Sales Bible...again...with more detailed info on Social Media. I have to admit I winced a little...actually, MORE than a little...when the word "Unbreakable" ended up in the title of this book. While fellow Sales Guru Brian Tracy doesn't own the copyright to the word, try not thinking of his books "The 100 Absolutely Unbreakable Laws of Business Success" and "The Unbreakable Laws of Self-Confidence." It's not the first time Jeffrey has sacrificed originality over new product, but I still have to give him 4 stars for what's between the covers. Is it a re-hash of everything else he's written? Of course it is, and if you have to ask that question, you're probably not a follower of his collected works. The payoff, for me, came during his discussion of intention: "Beyond your goals, to-do list, and urgent matters of the day, it's your INTENTIONS that drive your actions - both daily and long term. Intentions precede actions and are the mental drivers to achievement. In short: YOU ONLY DO WHAT YOU INTEND TO DO. As you think about your priorities and prepare your list of "must dos," identify and affirm your willingness to make the priorities happen, OR YOU WILL FIND A CONVENIENT EXCUSE FOR FAILURE. If you don't intend, you won't achieve. The main reason goals are not achieved is simple: YOU DIDN'T INTEND TO ACHIEVE THEM." You see, my personal belief is that if you read a book and find ONE dynamic idea...one butt-kicking that you DESPERATELY need someone to give you...then you got your money's worth. Like it or not, this book is a bullet-point "check up from the neck up" book. That's not to say that there aren't a wealth of ideas for your selling efforts...there are. But if you want a book that will reflect reality in the trenches as a salesperson in 2015 and will help you sell NOW...especially if you are feeling the crunch...consider John Rosso's "Prospect The Sandler Way: and Art Sobczak's "Smart Calling." "The Sandler Rules" from David Sandler and David Mattson is also a very helpful read.

Jeffrey has long been a critic of "Cold Calling" (he sells a "Cold Calling" audio CD that basically tells you to not cold call), and the message in this book is no exception. He tells you that if you put his Cold Calling alternatives into play starting today, "...it will take you six months to get it going, and one year to make it happen. After that, the phone will ring." So what happens if you are behind the 8 ball TODAY, if you have bills you need to pay TODAY, if you don't HAVE a year to make this alternative fall into place? Simple. You heed the advice of Brian Tracy and the "40 Plus Formula." It states that if you are working 40 hours a week right now, it may be enough for your survival...MAYBE...but it is not enough for your success. So do what you need to do in order to survive, and meanwhile, water the seeds of a better long-term strategy daily.

This is a valuable book...maybe not Gitomer's best (I'm tempted to give that distinction to hiss "Little Red Book Of Selling."). My advice, if you're sitting on the fence (as I was) is to go to a local bookstore or library and actually thumb through this one rather than basing a decision completely on these reviews. I'm finding it helpful and I've read every one of his other books.

Smart Calling: Eliminate the Fear, Failure, and Rejection from Cold Calling
Smart Calling: Eliminate the Fear, Failure, and Rejection from Cold Calling
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential book that you must personalize before using, February 12, 2015
Case in point: The "How Are You Today? Use It Or Not" section on using "small talk" at the beginning of a call. The final advice is "Use it if you are comfortable." I am self-employed, a sole proprietor, so I am also my "sales force." Any time I am cold-called and someone asks me "How are you today" I'm almost immediately irritated and abruptly ask "What can I do for you," which...if it's a telemarketer on the other end...throws the person off their script as chaos ensues. So I get the wisdom behind "Use what works for you," and in my own sales calls...whether I am making them or receiving them..."How are you today" is the kiss of death in the first ten seconds of the call. There is a wealth of information in the book about that first ten seconds. It's on you to read the book, and by trial and error, personalize its content so you are appropriately approaching your prospects, presenting a value proposition that moves you to the next level of the conversation, and leads to a sale. The issue is that you won't be able to buy this book, read it, put it into practice and grow into the top two percent of sales professionals who prospect like champs. The issue is that when you pick up the phone and dial you have 10 seconds to separate yourself from the other 98 percent of rookies, hacks, and insecure salespeople who are also out there dialing for dollars. I recommend this book along with John Rosso's equally essential "Prospect the Sandler Way." Between the two books you will have all of the raw material you need to find your "sales voice," while avoiding the achingly common pitfalls that result in a "not interested" and abrupt hang-up for so many salespeople who don't like telephone prospecting, don't understand how to do it like a pro, and lack the basic self-confidence required to learn from every MOMENTARY "failure." The two books will help you with call reluctance, and they will also help you manage your expectations as you prospect. It's never been about memorizing "sure-fire" scripts and "closing the sale" in a phone call. It's about having something of value that people want and need (sometimes "wanting" is is enough, they don't always have to "need" it), and presenting yourself as a professional and trustworthy individual who can deliver it, as promised, on time, and a price that results in you making a profit and the customer feeling that their money was well spent. Read the book, but make it your own.

Prospect the Sandler Way: A 30-Day Program for Mastering Stress-Free Lead Development
Price: $9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Sell for a living? Then BUY THIS BOOK., January 24, 2015
I am going to share the EXACT moment in this book in which I said "John Rosso ROCKS." I am a self-employed Web Designer. I am a "sole proprietor." That means business comes in one way...if I go out and get it. I AM my "sales force." I've read Zig Ziglar. I've read Brian Tracy. I've read Jeffrey Gitomer. There are a few other authors I've found to be equally helpful, INCLUDING two other books by Sandler authors: "Sandler Success Principles" by David Mattson and Bruce Seidman, and "The Sandler Rules" by David Sandler and David Mattson. THIS book offered a moment of clarity and "you are not alone" honesty that made my jaw drop. In recent years, I have seen a SHARP rise in the "answered prayer" dodge when it comes to prospects. It goes like this...you walk into a business and strike up a conversation and tell them at the appropriate moment (that moment being when the store is empty and they are not serving customers) "I am a Web Designer" and they respond with a BIG smile and "WHO would have believed it? It's a MIRACLE! I was just saying that I needed a Website and what HAPPENED...YOU walked in! Could my luck BE any BETTER?" Then, a week later, they won't take your calls. As Russo writes, "And then we make that last call to follow up, and all of the sudden we find that our prospect has entered the Witness Protection Program. We get stuck in this Buyer-Seller Dance. And guess what? The buyer is leading the dance." He discusses this at length, and I am not going to ruin the book for you, but suffice it to say that when you are out there selling and you take specific forms of rejection PERSONALLY and then find out they are UNIVERSAL, it empowers you to get out there and sell. As David Mattson wrote in The Sandler Rules, "You don't have to LIKE prospecting...you just have to DO it." Russo tells you that he is not going to give you scripts, he's not going to ask you to memorize anything. Instead, he gives you SCENARIOS, and you READ the scenario, and you internalize the "vibe" of the scenario, and use that as the foundation to start having natural, free-flowing conversations with prospects. You see, FAR to many salespeople get discouraged and fail because they think they are going to "close the sale" on an initial cold call, either on the phone or by walk-in. It doesn't happen that way. What you are doing on initial contact is seeking permission to have the conversation that COULD lead to a sale. YOU ARE SEEKING PERMISSION TO HAVE A CONVERSATION. That's IT. You are finding out if THEY would be a good client for you, and if YOU would be a good vendor for them. If you both have a little spark, some chemistry, you have the conversation. If the conversation goes well, you might "close the sale." What Rosso is doing is empowering you to turn as many "first contact" situations into appointments for the actual sales conversation. We waste too much time with prospects who have no interest in what we're selling. The days of some clown in a leisure suit pressuring someone into buying something they don't want are long gone. Sell for a living? Then BUY THIS BOOK.

You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life
Price: $7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars CAVEAT EMPTOR: The book starts off in high gear and pulls a 180, January 24, 2015
I gave this three stars...which Amazon classifies as "OK"...because, well...it's OK. It starts off in a funny, amusing (and sometimes R-E-A-L-L-Y grating and annoying) way. Remember Lou Reed? I was a BIG Lou Reed fan, still am. Imagine a self-help book written by Lou Reed on a particularly combative day, now make Lou a woman, and you get the idea. Ms. Sincero has the full audio book out on YouTube. Now it becomes a mash-up of Lou Reed and Fran Drescher from "The Nanny." But that's not the point. I was amused by the sample chapters I downloaded for Kindle. So much, in fact, that I was ready to pop for the book as soon as one of my clients' checks came in the mail. Hearing the whole book on YouTube made me change my mind. She sets you up for another walk through "The Law Of Attraction." Now, after "Think And Grow Rich" and "As A Man Thinketh" and "The Master Key System" and "The Secret Of The Ages" and all of the other classic books Rhonda Byrne "borrowed" when assembling "The Secret," PLUS being well versed in the collective works of Dr. Wayne Dyer and Esther & Jerry Hicks ("Abraham / Hicks"), I don't need another copy of "Law Of Attraction," even if it IS written by Lou Reed and read by Fran Drescher. This could have been a much better book if the author stayed closer to the opening of the book. As it is, she provocatively lures you in, and in place of the red meat you were hoping for, you get warmed-up leftovers. Attitude isn't enough...I buy books for content. She's right, if you sit on the sidelines and doubt yourself and get high and binge-watch Netflix while stuffing your face with Taco Bell, you're not going to die a superstar. But by the same token, there are better books to motivate you OFF of that sofa and into action. "OK."

Heaven & Earth
Heaven & Earth
Price: $10.00
59 used & new from $7.46

2.0 out of 5 stars Worth one listen, if only to satisfy your curiousity, November 28, 2014
This review is from: Heaven & Earth (Audio CD)
I compare this album to the current lineup of Journey. I don't care for Arnel Pineda at all, but I thought that Steve Augueri...even though he was a shameless Steve Perry clone...sounded fine in the band. In Yes, I enjoyed Benoit David's work on "Fly From Here," even though no one is going to label it their finest album. To take it a step further, I thought his work in his own band, Mystery, far surpassed anything he did in Yes in terms of performance AND material.

I'm probably running the risk of many "not helpful" votes by saying I'd like to see Jon Anderson back in the band, but come on...this is one of the FEW bands that build its foundation on someone with a very distinctive performing and songwriting style. He was never the ENTIRE band. But he was such an integral part of it that his absence is felt here.

There is nothing WRONG with this album at all. It's just that there is nothing here that you haven't hear before, and in a more powerful fashion. Don't believe me? Get a copy of Transatlantic's "Kaleidoscope" album and listen to their take on "And You And I." Kaleidoscope, for those not familiar with the band, is a "sipergroup" of sorts made up of members from the "second wave" of prog...former Dream Theater drummer Mike Portnoy, former Spock's Beard keyboardist Neal Morse, Marillion bassist Pete Trewavas, and Roine Stolt from the Flower Kings. Simply put, the students now sound better than the master. We live in sad times when a cover of a legendary band's classic can blow the current band right out of the water.

This is tastefully performed "so what" music. It plays well in the background but I challenge you to remember any song from it after first listen.

You have Steve Howe, Chris Squire and Alan White from the "classic" lineup of the band (although II have always preferred Bill Bruford over White). You have Geoff Downes on keyboards, whose primary function in Asia for decades was to steer the bus straight down the middle of the road in search of radio-friendly hits, rather than acting like unhinged wizard Rick Wakeman. And at center stage, you have Jon Davison, in way over his head. Remember the so-called supergroup "GTR?" Steve Howe, Steve Hackett, and vocalist Max Bacon, one of the least distinctive frontmen in the history of rock and roll. The current lineup of Yes isn't quite as bad as that, but they are committing the cardinal sin for a band that made its bones on stoner bombast...they have become safe and B-O-R-I-N-G.

Then again, Asia's still around, so a "Yes Lite" version of Yes could prosper for years to come. I just won't be standing in the crowd with my Bic in the air.

Elixir 16182 Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze HD Acoustic Guitar Strings, Light
Elixir 16182 Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze HD Acoustic Guitar Strings, Light
Price: $15.95
21 used & new from $14.51

4.0 out of 5 stars " but after a few minutes of playing them I realized I LIKE the "squeak" on acoustics, August 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I installed these strings and, as the advertising states, they minimize "squeak," but after a few minutes of playing them I realized I LIKE the "squeak" on acoustics. It's part of the charm, it's something I've come to expect, and it's never bothered me. The strings felt different to me...they are obviously steel, but the wrapped strings almost felt like nylon. I haven't had them on the guitar long enough to tell you if i'd purchase a second set, but my overall verdict is that they play well, but probably wouldn't convince me to give up my normal brand of strings. Good strings, just not life-changing strings. I'd recommend them if you didn't already have a favorite brand.

Colgate Optic White Toothpaste, Enamel, 5 Ounce (Pack of 6)
Colgate Optic White Toothpaste, Enamel, 5 Ounce (Pack of 6)
Price: $25.74
6 used & new from $17.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not pleased with the way it cleans, July 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Not for me, unfortunately. Over the years I have smoked (but not since 2002) and drink a cup of black coffee or two. I've never gone for a full-blown whitening at the dentist, so I don't know what kind of results I'd get, but like a lot of adults with my background my teeth are sort of a very light, consistent beige...no stains, but no blazing neon white, either. I used this toothpaste for a week and the only difference I noticed...other than a lack of "whitening"...is that my teeth just didn't feel clean. On day 7, after brushing my teeth with the Colgate, I went back to my regular "Crest Complete With Scope" for a second brushing and there it was...that "smooth as glass" feeling. This may be a toothpaste that does the job for other people. It didn't for me.

Road Trips Vol. 2 No. 3: 6/16/74 (State Fairgrounds, Des Moines, IA) & 6/18/74 (Freedom Hall, Louisville, KY)
Price: $14.49

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT performances, but almost 90 minutes shorter than the original CD release, June 20, 2014
FULL DISCLOSURE UP FRONT: I own the original CD release of this MP3 re-issue. I give the shows 5 stars, but:

GLASS HALF FULL: It's one of the best entries in the Road Trips series, especially since it chronicles the brief and legendary "Wall of Sound" era. Since its release, the band has also issued Dave's Picks Volume 9, a 1974 "Wall of Sound" gig from Montana (billed as the "third official" W.o.S. show).

GLASS HALF EMPTY: The ORIGINAL CD release, including bonus disc, featured 24 songs (3 hours and 57 minutes of music). The current MP3 release is missing 9 songs (1 hour and 19 minutes of music).

The MISSING songs are:

Morning Dew (Freedom Hall, Louisville, KY 6/18/74)
Around and Around (Freedom Hall, Louisville, KY 6/18/74)
Deal (State Fairgrounds, Des Moines, IA 6/16/74)
Greatest Story Ever Told (State Fairgrounds, Des Moines, IA 6/16/74)
Truckin' (State Fairgrounds, Des Moines, IA 6/16/74)
Nobody's Jam (State Fairgrounds, Des Moines, IA 6/16/74)
Wharf Rat (State Fairgrounds, Des Moines, IA 6/16/74)
Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad (State Fairgrounds, Des Moines, IA 6/16/74)
Sugar Magnolia (Freedom Hall, Louisville, KY 6/18/74)

SO...the original CD is impossible to find unless you track down a used copy, but the MP3 is missing almost an hour and a half of performances.

It is vintage "Keith & Donna"-era Dead...those familiar with the story know that by the couple ultimately became "frayed from the vicissitudes of the rock and roll lifestyle" (thank you, Wikipedia), and mutually agreed with the band to depart in early 1979. But in 1974? Red hot and bent on exploring new musical landscapes.

I would say get this one without hesitation, but the lingering question is "How are you going to feel about the missing content?"

Victorinox Swiss Army Spartan II Folding Camping Knives, Red, 91mm
Victorinox Swiss Army Spartan II Folding Camping Knives, Red, 91mm
Price: $14.99
3 used & new from $13.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the right amount of stuff, and "pocket friendly", June 2, 2014
I OWNED this knife. Then, after decades of not flying on an airline, I parked my car in economy parking at McCarren Airport, took the shuttle to the terminal, went through security, and realized I hadn't given a thought to the Victorinox Swiss Army Spartan II Folding Camping Knife I carried in my pants 365 days a year.

I was asked "Do you want me to dispose of this for you, sir?" Now, for the uninitiated, that means this guy took it home for himself, or it went into the big bucket of confiscated items airport security posts and sells on eBay. I have family members who have worked at the airport. Trust me, this is exactly what happens, NOTHING is "disposed of."

Anyway...it is SLIM enough to go in your pocket but has what I find to be the only portable tool set I need. For another 5 bucks you can get the "Camper II" model and the ONLY difference is that it includes a saw. In the entire time I had my Spartan, I never felt the urge to saw anything. And in response to what other have posted about the Philips screwdriver issue, YES, that SMALL screwdriver...the one at the right edge of the knife in the photo...has worked as a Phillips EVERY time I've needed one.

I am a few days away from a client check showing up in my mailbox and when it does I am ordering this knife. Five stars all the way.

Year of the Horse
Year of the Horse
Offered by IMS Distribution
Price: $13.44
113 used & new from $0.31

4.0 out of 5 stars Kind of like when Bob Weir taught himself to play slide guitar...onstage., May 30, 2014
This review is from: Year of the Horse (Audio CD)
You remember that, right? Weir decided he'd like to play slide guitar, but instead of learning how to to that and then stepping onstage with the Dead, he LEARNED onstage. It made for some uneasy listening, but the Deadheads went along with it because, after all, it was the Dead.

Same for Neil. Crazy Horse has never been about precision and unrelenting focus. Sometimes the "ragged glory" of the moment springs out of the passion and sloppiness of the performance. Sometimes.

Case in point, Neil's reach exceeds his grasp on "Barstool Blues." First, this isn't 1975, so the vocals drop a key or two. The original was jam-packed with trademark Neil "isn't he going to hurt himself doing that" high notes. Here, he lays back and plays it safe. But it's the SOLO, the part you WAIT for, where Neil sort of stumbles around looking for a groove he never quite finds.

Same can be said for much of the rest of the album, too. When "Broken Arrow" was released (the studio album that preceded this one), the band had that lind of heavy, lumbering sound going on. Of course, this was before "Psychedelic Pill" and the song "Walk Like A Giant," where he pushed the sludge thing right past "excess" and just kept going.

Another issue here is that Neil revisits some of his weaker material like "Sedan Delivery." We got that one on "Rust Never Sleeps" and "Live Rust"...how badly did we need a third version?

There's a "high lonesome" version of "Mr. Soul"...Neil on acoustic guitar and harmonica...that provides a nice little breather from the meandering jams.

It's not his WORST live album, but it certainly isn't his BEST. It provides its own kind of fun. Better not spook the horse...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20