Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for Brian Dickerson > Reviews

Browse

Brian Dickerson's Profile

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Brian Dickerson RSS Feed

MoKo Cover Case for Amazon Kindle Touch, BLACK
MoKo Cover Case for Amazon Kindle Touch, BLACK

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic value for a sleek, soft and very usable Kindle case., April 16, 2012
I purchased this case for my Kindle Touch a few months ago, and it's been doing an admirable job. For as low as the cost is, I've been extremely satisfied at how well it protects my Kindle from rogue items in my backpack. As others mention, there is initially a fairly strong odor to the product, but it's not unusual - I've purchased many electronics and accessories over the years that have an initial "plasticky" or other slight chemical smell to them, and it faded after a few days. As long as I didn't keep the case pressed against my face, it was not a problem. As I do not generally read with my Kindle pressed directly against my face, it was a non-issue from the start.

The construction itself is, again, better than I expected. It uses a thin, synthetic leather outer material with a lightweight synthetic suede material on the inside of the cover - where you'll find a small storage sleeve for folded papers or a small notepad. There is a small amount of built-in padding material on both front and rear covers and it is very pleasant to the touch when picked up. The stitching along all of the edges is quite nicely done, and adds to the visual appeal in my opinion. The front cover secures itself by way of two small magnets located within the case, along the right hand side corners of the Kindle. The magnets, while not exceptionally strong, are sufficient enough to keep it from accidentally opening while the case is moved around. I would have liked to have seen stronger magnets, and the ability to hold the case "open" by way of additional magnets on the rear of the case. The hinge material is soft enough to allow the case cover to flip open and rest easily on the back side, and in practice it works just fine for reading. The Kindle itself slides into the case from the top like a sleeve with the screen area cut out, and a flap folds over the top of the reader to secure it. It's a snug fit, and I've never felt like it was in danger of coming loose. There is a cutout on the bottom for access to the power button and charge port, but no allowance for the speakers. It does diminish the level of sound you'll receive from audio books or MP3s, although in a quiet environment it is still sufficient.

I purchased a small Verso clip-on light (Verso Clip-On Reading Light for Kindle (Graphite))to use with my reader, and while the light clip isn't thin enough to easily slide directly behind the Kindle along the back of the case (between the Kindle and back half of the case sleeve), it is able to clip on securely to the case along top left and top right corners. A little angle on the posable goose-neck and I'm set.

All said, it's held up very well to (admittedly, not constant) use; I've never found myself wishing for different functionality and it protects the Kindle quite well from day to day hazards, while looking very professional. It's still slim enough to slip into a bag or backpack, and poses a great value for someone looking for a case that offers a bit more pick-up-and-read usability than most traditional sleeves offer while still maintaining a decent amount of protection and a low visual profile.

Highly recommended!

HGST Deskstar 2TB 3.5-Inch CoolSpin RPM SATA III 6Gbps 32 MB Cache Internal Hard Drive (0F12117)
Offered by Mega Micro Devices Inc.
14 used & new from $44.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quiet drives to complement growing media storage needs, April 23, 2011
When Amazon ran a promotional pricing on these Hitachi hard drives, I leapt on the chance to upgrade my existing 1TB drives and make space for future storage requirements.

The drives arrived packed fairly well, but the creative cardboard suspension of the box design did not leave a lot of open air space around the drive. It would have been preferred to see some additional packing or buffer material to better protect them during shipping. I understand that the drives are sold as OEM and that there is a growing initiative to conserve on consumed materials, but these are very sensitive devices.

Upon unpacking and installing the drives, I ran a full disk format and surface test on each of them. The first two had no issues and SMART reported no trouble areas. The third drive, however, produced a scattered set of unreadable/bad sectors and SMART reported surface errors and slow to read/unreadable areas. The drive was usable, as bad sectors can be and are often remapped to remain unused, but I opted to exercise Amazon's great return system and had a replacement drive sent to me. The replacement drive tested just fine, and they are spinning away in my system.

I've owned enough hard drives over the years to understand that there are failure peaks at installation time, and can characterize the compromised drive as an early/factory defective. I have no doubts as to the reliability the drives once put into field service and when they have passed the initial surface verify/SMART tests. I feel that this is a good practice for any system builder or end user - a few hours of testing can prevent weeks or months of headaches as you try to track down what ultimately stems from a first-use defect.

As to the drives themselves, they run extremely cool; they remain room temperature even after continuous use, in stark contrast to many 7200RPM models. They are also extremely quiet in operation, barely audible by themselves, and certainly nothing that will noticeably raise the noise level of a typical computer enclosure. This would be a good drive for a MicroATX or Home Theater PC build, where cramped conditions can cause temperatures to soar. It would also work well in an external drive enclosure that does not utilize a fan for cooling, as little heat will need to be dissipated through the case. Transfer rates are very respectable, averaging at about 100MB/s across the disk surface for read speeds. Great for media storage, or for a NAS or other networked storage array or backup solution.

I'm very happy with the drives - they were a great value and are perfect for my application. Spacious, cool, quiet and an excellent complement to a solid state boot drive. I did get a drive that showed signs of failure right out of the gate, but I won't fault the other drives for what is very likely a statistical outlier.

Recommended!

Mediabridge 16AWG Speaker Wire (100 Feet) - Spooled Design with Sequential Foot Markings - (Part# SW-16X2-100-CL )
Offered by Mediabridge Products, LLC
Price: $12.99
2 used & new from $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value on a solid product, April 23, 2011
I purchased this speaker wire to run to a set of Mirage Nanosat surrounds, powered by a Sony STR-DN1010 receiver. Wire feels nice and sturdy, with a flexible protective coating which contains incremental measure marks on it. This is a great way to ensure that you cut the proper amount of wire and can speed up installation time if you're running wires to multiple speakers. Wires can be cut and prepped prior to mounting or locating speakers, speeding up the process. No faults in the wires were noticed and the transmission seems solid. No noticeable signal loss or attenuation on the satellites and the price was very competitive. I bought a second spool to keep on hand for future adjustments or additional speaker installs to other areas of the house.