Profile for Tamara Bell > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Tamara Bell RSS Feed

The Sims 4 Premium Edition
The Sims 4 Premium Edition
Offered by Big Game Vendor
Price: $116.04
17 used & new from $74.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Limited, September 7, 2014
This is not the next step forward in The Sims - It is a sideways step for the series. It doesn't overcome the technical limitations of the previous games and in many ways it regresses.

I would suggest you watch the video from LGR - The Sims 4 Review if you want to see what it's like.

The Sims is supposed to be about telling our stories. I have found it very difficult to tell stories in The Sims 4 due to the limitations of the game and the creative expression they have removed from the game. I'm just too limited now.

CAS:
Creating Sims is fun but the lack of a Color Wheel is killing me. You are limited to and stuck with the predefined colors EA decided to give us. And not all clothing has the same color options. I looked at a blouse that only had 3 color options but a pair of pants had 10 color options.

Build/Buy Mode:
There are lots of things for you to spend your money on and building houses is easier than ever.
That said you are unable to be creative and make the house you just spend an hour building the color you want. No Color Wheel! You cannot change the color of anything. This leaves us with rooms that are nice but creatively not what we want. If I want to tell my Sims story in a room with exclusively Pink furniture it's not possible.

There are no dishwashers anymore or sprinklers for gardening which makes a large garden very difficult.

Oh and you better spend your money on things that are unbreakable because they got rid of the repairman!
That's right - no repairman and with just two Sims my toilet is breaking every two days. I bought the unbreakable toilet, it's expensive but a must have.

Terrain Tool:
Gone. You can paint the ground but that is it.

Pools:
Gone. You can create purely decorative fountains that take up space and have no Sim related interactions but no pools.

Basements:
Gone.

Travel:
You must now travel to leave your home lot. There is a boring white screen with a green Plumbob you are forced to endure anytime you want to go anywhere in the game. And the time of the loading screens is random. I have had it take anywhere from 10 seconds up to a whole minute to "travel". The world is very limited and closed in.
You can see your neighbor across the street but you cannot walk across the street to their house for a visit.
After a hard workout at the gym if you want to go next-door to the Club and have a drink you cannot walk the 10 steps it would take your Sim to get there. This is ridiculous!

I have found that The Sims 4 is not balanced gender wise at all. My single female Sim when to the Club to meet cute men. They game generated 4 women. I took her to the park only to have the game generate 10 women. This would have been fabulous if I was telling that story but I wasn't. The game needs more balance so you don't end up with more of one kind of Sim then others.

Community Lots:
You can Travel to the Park, Museum, Club, Gym and Library. Yes, that it is. There are 4 community lots and 1 park in each world.
The following Community Lots no longer exist: Supermarket, Book Store, Pool, Spa, Graveyard, Stadium, Military Base, Stadium, Restaurant, Theater, Hospital, School and Science Lab.

Cars / Taxis:
There are none. That's right, no cars. Any vehicles of any kind that you see are just decoration.
Cars don't even pick you up for work anymore!

Babies:
You no longer hear that special music when your Sims try for a baby. Now the female Sim must go into the bathroom and take a pregnancy test at the toilet.
(Personally I liked the baby music. You knew if you needed to try for a baby again without having to leave the bed)

There is also no longer a way to influence the gender of babies anymore. They took away the ability to eat Apples for a Boy or eat Watermelon for a Girl. It's all up to chance now which is very true to real life but limits stores you can tell. I can no longer have a woman that tries and tries for that baby girl only to end up with nothing but boys - hehe

Babies are now stuck in a bassinet until they turn into 10-year old children. You cannot walk around your house with the baby. All interactions must be done through the bassinet. And in a very creepy display of growth hormones gone out of control one day the baby jumps out of the crib and turns itself into a 10-year old Sim.

Toddlers:
There are no toddlers. That age group is no longer a part of The Sims

Teenagers:
Teenagers look exactly like Young Adult and Adult Sims. You cannot tell them apart. Apparently they just couldn't be bothered to make Teenagers shorter. This is makes for very awkward situations when you are looking for a Sim to hook up with. I was completely creeped out when the Sim I was looking to hook up with turned out to be a teenager.

Control Panel:
We now have 5 different control panels we must work with to get things done. (we used to have one that did everything)
1. The control panel in the bottom left corner shows pictures of your household, what they are feeling, any actions you are preforming and the cell phone. (I did notice we can have less actions queued. We have gone from being able to have the Sim performing one action and having 7 more queued to being able to have the Sim performing one action and having 5 more queued.

2. The control panel in the bottom middle is where you will find the time controls of Pause, Play, Fast Speed 2 and Ultra Speed 3.
Missing and no longer available is Ultra Speed through Current Action. (this option was my favorite and I used it exclusively so this hurts my gameplay a lot)

3. The control panel in the bottom right corner is where you will find Aspiration, Career, Skills, Relationships, Inventory, Simology and Needs.
And in a very odd extreme move of micromanaging in Simology you can see how many times your Sim has used the toiled, showered, etc. Is that something people actually want to track???

4. The control panel in the top right corner is where you will find Build Mode, Gallery, Up/Down Floor, Walls, Camera Controls, Notifications Wall and the Options Menu.
I will tell you that for Camera Controls are only options are now Zoom In/Out and Pan Left/Right.
They have removed the Tit Camera Up/Down options. (this is killing me, I like to view my Sims at a certain angle and I just can't get to it with out being able to Tilt the Camera!

5. The control panel in the top middle is only shown when you enter Build/Buy mode. This is where you will find the Hand Tool, Eyedropper, Sledgehammer, Design Tool (don't get excited it only gives you option to change something to one of the limited predefined colors), Undo, Redo, Lot Info, Save to My Library, and Move house.

Wow that is a lot of Control Panels!!!
They take up a lot of space on the screen and as a player your hand is moving that mouse all over trying to get done what you used to get done with 1 Control Panel.

Controlling your Sims:
This you will be very familiar with. This is much the same as before except that every time you select an object or Sim with your cursor it will have a White Chalk Outline on it.
If you Travel with one Sim and leave another at home to work on a skill you will no longer be able to Control the Sim at home. In fact the Sim you left at home will stop performing all tasks. I took a Sim to the Park to fish and I left anther at home playing the Piano to work on the music skill. After fishing for a bit at the Park I switched control over to the Sim at home and after a Loading Screen the Sim walked onto the Lot from out of the void and was standing on the sidewalk.
You cannot control two different Sims in two different locations at once!!!

Careers:
The Careers available to Sims are Astronaut, Criminal, Culinary, Entertainer, Painter, Secret Agent and Writer.
That is it. If you had a favorite Career you liked to play previously like Business, Medical, Science or Sports you are out of luck.

Oh, because a car never arrives to pick up my Sim with a little honk I never know when it's time to go to work. My Sim has been late 4 days in a row and the boss called to say she will be fired if she is late again.

Emotions:
This game is all about emotions. In fact I would say this game is Emotion Overload
Everything your Sim does makes them feel something now. Sometimes you just want your Sim to read a book to level a skill and you don't want to have to deal with them being BORED over it.

Ok, I'm going to stop now.
Is the game fun? Yes? It is worth the money? NO!!!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 7, 2014 8:34 PM PDT

Vampire Academy (Blu-ray + Digital HD)
Vampire Academy (Blu-ray + Digital HD)
DVD ~ Zoey Deutch
Price: $13.49
45 used & new from $4.19

1.0 out of 5 stars So sad, July 7, 2014
I loved the books but I HATED this movie.
Every single character was annoying. The acting was horrific. The movie sped you along at break neck speed with no character development. The man playing Dimitri was not a lithe graceful yet fierce warrior, but clumsy and uncoordinated. This movie cannot be my beloved books come to life. I feel like I need to read the series all over again just to scrub the taint of this movie out of my head.

Sony KDL46EX645 46-Inch 1080p 120HZ Internet Slim LED HDTV (Black)
Sony KDL46EX645 46-Inch 1080p 120HZ Internet Slim LED HDTV (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, November 27, 2012
The TV arrived in perfect condition and was very easy to set up. If anyone is curious the TV swivels so you can turn it left or right if you have need of that kind of option. I am very happy with the picture quality and sound of this TV. All the men in my family plus my boyfriend are engineers and they are always "tweaking" my electronics to get them just right (even though they seem perfectly fine to me). All of them have been over and watched this TV and not one of them has felt the need to do any "tweaking" at all.

Kindle Keyboard 3G, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard 3G, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
12 used & new from $49.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Color and Artistry, September 12, 2011
I can't believe that I am the only one that cares about color.
Am I being unreasonable to expect color? I know that when I buy a book from the bookstore I am reading it in black print...BUT the cover art is done in beautiful colors. The time and work that it takes to design the book covers is substantial. How long did an artist take to get just that one shade of blue or gold? Rendering that in 16 shades of grey completely diminishes the artists creation. The cover art and all its beautiful color draws you in and gives you a hint of what excitement lays in those pages.

When I am reading an illustrated book to my 3-yr old it's that color that makes it come alive for her. The color of a fairy's outfit or dragons scales is not the same and does not invoke the same vivid mental images when it's rendered in 16 shades of grey.

For now real books and all of their spectacular colorful covers and illustrations are still preferred by my child.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 13, 2011 6:12 AM PDT

Vampire Academy (Turtleback School & Library Binding Edition) (Vampire Academy (Prebound))
by Richelle Mead
Edition: Library Binding
Price: $17.48
41 used & new from $2.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, September 12, 2010
I am completely in love with the entire VA Series. It has everything: friendship, love, action, suspense, betrayal, sacrifice, magic, humor and strong leads that can kick butt. No clumsy, helpless damsels in distress here that have to be watched by a protector 24/7.

I loved the series so much that I ordered the books for my best friend and now she is hooked too.

If you are looking for a really good book series to read this is the one!

Glimmerglass (Faeriewalker, Book 1)
Glimmerglass (Faeriewalker, Book 1)
by Jenna Black
Price: $9.86
126 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, June 24, 2010
I loved this book. I couldn't put it down and ignored my whole family until it was finished. I can't wait until the second book.

The Brothers Grimm [Blu-ray]
The Brothers Grimm [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Matt Damon
Offered by MightySilver
Price: $9.67
42 used & new from $1.36

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Fairy Tale, December 2, 2009
I have a soft spot for for fairy tales and this one was pretty good. Matt Damon and Heath Ledger are fun to watch as brothers.

Disney Fairies: Tinkerbell and the Lost Treasure
Disney Fairies: Tinkerbell and the Lost Treasure
Offered by Brower Games
Price: $14.09
105 used & new from $1.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Cute Game, December 2, 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I had a lot of fun playing this game and liked that I was able to make a fairy of every talent.