Profile for ty7777 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 117

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

ty7777 "I don't give out m'name" RSS Feed (USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Johnny Cash At Town Hall Party 1958-1959
Johnny Cash At Town Hall Party 1958-1959
DVD ~ Johnny Cash
Price: $34.99
8 used & new from $16.28

4.0 out of 5 stars A great gift to all who loved the man, January 20, 2007
To really get an artist's personality, sometimes you need to see them live. I don't know if that's true with Johnny but I know it sure doesn't hurt. This is a very young Johnny with Luther and Marshal. Three friends, lots of fans, and a set of songs that you'll probably recognize from his few albums that were out at that time. Yes, there are several repeat performances but nothing really overshadows the fact that you get to see this piece of music history. It doesn't take any of the shine off it is what I'm saying. Complete with some teasing onstage banter and a one or two minute bout of outright goofyness as Johnny imitates an anonymous singer...if you can't figure out that it's Elvis he's impersonating...than you don't know Elvis and you were born in a cave. This is not a rock and roll show by any means. It's perfect and original country concert and what a collectors item. A real treasure. Glad I got a hold of a copy. No problems with audio or visual quality. For the time period, having to turn the volume up a little extra is not an issue [for me atleast]. Enjoy.

House, M.D.: Season 1
House, M.D.: Season 1
DVD ~ Hugh Laurie
Offered by Magic SuperCenter
Price: $14.49
41 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars 4 stars for show, 2 for dvd set, January 19, 2007
This review is from: House, M.D.: Season 1 (DVD)
I love this show. The second season was a 5 star as far as I'm concerned. The writing and the acting is tremendous, and if grading on a curve, it's perfect to me. The dvd package seems very good but those double-sided dvds just didn't play well and have already given out on us after a few viewings. NO GOOD FOLKS. I have the second season on the way, I think they are one sided so hopefully that won't be a problem. I can't recommend this 1st season set though. Cross tape or burn copies. They don't last. I just wanted to say that and leave the actual ep to ep guide to other reviewers.

LifeForce: A Dynamic Plan for Health, Vitality and Weight Loss
LifeForce: A Dynamic Plan for Health, Vitality and Weight Loss
by Jeffrey S. McCombs D.C.
106 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Light reading, good plan, June 26, 2006
I started this program in order to rid myself of bad complexion slow bowels and stubborn weight. One out of three isn't great but they are a big three in my life so it's not all that bad either. I lost 30 pounds across 17 weeks. This includes the time it took me having added the bacteria a week late and the add back portion of the plan where various foods are reintroduced. Keep in mind that this is a one time plan and also that the book is very short. It's a brief overview of the plan and Doctor McCombs' general perspective on modern health. Good information, good insights. I've heard so many different testimonials that I honestly believe but in my personal case it could not clear my complexion or my irregularity. That's not necessarily going to be true of anyone else but I'm still glad I did it for the weight loss and new insights into the weight issue and living healthy. One of the worst health problems I've had was cleared up by one key idea. I talked with Doctor McCombs via email about it and he openly said he doesn't heed his own advice on the subject much of the time but if it weren't for him mentioning it and a company that specializes in it, I'd still have insomnia. I have had insomnia my whole life and now it's gone. It was gone immediately after I took the advice and it wasn't even recommended for insomnia! It wasn't the lifeforce plan but it was on his list of advice. I respect Dr. McCombs for his common sense and theories.

Update: I just want to quickly update my original review...about year ago I think. Although my chronic constipation was at its worst during the plan, even considering that I was partly doing it to remedy that problem, I've noticed that since completing his program and before starting anything else, it's not been a problem once. I suppose I spoke too soon. It seems to have cleared up the problem after all.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 3, 2012 11:53 AM PDT

Highlander - Endgame
Highlander - Endgame
DVD ~ Adrian Paul
140 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Alot of good is ruined with far more bad, December 3, 2005
This review is from: Highlander - Endgame (DVD)
Unlike some the other Highlander movies this has some great emotional punch to it due to the death of Connor Macleod and the relationship between his and Duncan Macleod's friendship, same clan different vintage. This movie has so many horrible afflictions that the great emotional punch and sword play is completely ruined by total disregard for the fans. Let's face it the editing was atrocious. If you saw the nice extras on the dvd you'd realize that they didn't have as bad a script as the final outcome would lead you to believe. They actually mixed up the chronology of the scenes making it non-sensical and other fatal flaws as well. The scenery is fantastic-this is no joke. Great job on that. Adrian Paul unlike much of the sixth season of Highlander really seems to be feeling his character again and putting in a quality performance. Lambert plays his character evasively which serves the character very well. They do not do a good job of making him look appropriately aged which yanks you out of the setting of the story. The woman who played Kate in the lead is well-nothing to note. No charisma. The sex scene put into this movie with her and Adrian Paul is so lacking in any chemistry or true purpose that I feel it was just thrown in there to show Paul's rear and this girls bare chest. Nudity is not offensive to me but when you throw it in there like this and the actors have no chemistry-it just puts me off. The plot line is contradicting to story lines in the series, and obviously to the movie, but this is the history of Highlander. It is riddled with contradictions so that fans who have an attention to detail are usally frustrated over and over. To be honest you don't have to have much attention to detail at all to find these contradictions in plot which is one of the biggest problems of the franchise! Furthermore if you thought The Kurgan from the first movie was menacing, you might wonder what in the world makes Jacob Kell from this one a threat in the slightest. With better casting and a more refined script, you could have made that work well enough due to the mental and emotional aspect, however this guy is comical. Some great potential is in this movie, but it was never met. They had a little voice over thing with the man who produced or directed and the ''consultants'' who worked on the series too. This guy had to ask while watching the film, who Methos was. So this should give you an idea of how well fans of Peter Wingfield's character were treated. He's very good in the movie though for the few moments he's there he gets little opportunity to shine as possibly the most gifted actor in the film-he's better than Paul much of the time in the series so that is no surprise. If you were a fan of the series I can't tell you not to watch the movie-but I can tell you not to buy it and then watch it for the first time. If you only watched the movies-no point in watching Lambert getting killed off for a reason that they really can't back up with this kind of illusive plot mumbo jumbo. I like many highlander fans watched first, filled in the reasoning in my own head and disregarded the crap that never belonged there in the first place later. Most of us are just used to making a cohesive coherent chronology of this epic fantasy in our minds and letting the waste matter be filtered out. You've got to do alot of that in this movie. There is actually a quickening sequence from a nobody character in here which is on par with Connor's quickening. Connor's quickening was smaller than The Kurgans or the guy from the third movies. Shameful. The final quickening is actually very pleasing to the eye. Great work of art these things are normally even on the lesser budget of the series. However the first quickening of the movie-mentioned already- totally lost the idea of the quickening. None of the ''lightning'' as you might call it, even went into the man who killed the immortal. It made no sense. Other huge plot holes exist and are so big that they do ruin the beautiful emotional dramas that were struggling to play themselves out. You'll probably be asking yourself ''what?'' numerous times if you are a fan of the series by the way. Amanda's not in it and Methos is treated poorly as well as Joe. No other character's from the series are in it actually. It's just a mess. I agree with another reviewer that suggests that moving the worlds of the series and the movies together only satisfies fans of just one a little bit. I liked both the first movie and the series alot but this movie really exemplifies the biggest problem of the highlander universe- tons of potential almost never coming close to half fruition. This is just such a frustrating thing. The garbage lines coming out of Kell's mouth being read by an actor who treats it like a cartoon villain are so bad it makes me tear up. The ridiculous scene [great choreography though] where Adrian is attacked by numerous immortals is so unrealistic in the highlander fantasy it just adds to the plot holes and horrible ideas that would never have made it onto the series no matter how big there budget was. Rent before buying, please take my advice. I just want to go on forever about the bad and try to exaggerate the little good here but it's not worth it.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars This magazine has indeed gone down hill, December 3, 2005
Try ripping out just the ads that are on both sides of the page and see how much reading material you are actually getting. Big Pharmacy advertisement is what this magazine is all about now. Also, let me just point out that I too have been harassed by this company about sending magazines I didn't order. Here's a tip for you if you do subscribe despite these reviews and try to cancel- Write RETURN TO SENDER on the magazines on a piece of white tape and put them back in your mailbox. This gets them to stop. What a shame this magazine is no longer of a high quality. I'd almost forgotten about this episode I had with them and my dissappointment in their skimpy reading material until reading these reviews. I was just about to get a subscription for somebody but no...no not now. Thanks for reminding me guys. Here's my two cents on top of that. Buyer beware.

The Quest
The Quest
DVD ~ Jean-Claude Van Damme
Price: $9.69
58 used & new from $1.98

1.0 out of 5 stars Good God, November 15, 2005
This review is from: The Quest (DVD)
This movie is Bloodsport minus the entertaining parts. Better production value- much worse script. Much worse everything almost. So if you liked Bloodsport which even at its cheesiest was a classic entertaining martial arts flick and you wanted to see another version of it that sucks but has more scenery, well here you go! Enjoy!

No Retreat No Surrender 3: Blood Brothers [VHS]
No Retreat No Surrender 3: Blood Brothers [VHS]
VHS
Offered by imagine-this
Price: $24.86
19 used & new from $5.00

2.0 out of 5 stars One star without the last fight scene 5 if you love bad, November 15, 2005
Okay first off if this is a purchase you are considering because you love to own horrible movies and find perverse pleasure in seeing decent actors do their best with the worst scripts in history...solid five. It gets no worse. The only thing that is actually great about the film is that it is a highly memorable fight scene in the end. As far as most memorable fight scenes, this is up their with far better movies finale. Not that it is realistic but the choreography is totally outstanding and entertaining, one of the best I think. The rest of the movie is adequately acted by Kieth Vitali and Loren Avedon both of whom are always the bright spots in lousy flicks because they really do well no matter the Godforsaken plot. This plot is something along the line of-okay it's pretty much the same elements in almost all martial arts b-movies just mixed around enough to not directly copy everybody else. Plot holes- oh they're big. Pointfulness-oh who needs it. Plenty of fancy footwork-plenty. At one point as the two brothers stand over their dead father[cia guy, man of course] Kieth says something like '' this happens in our line of work.'' and honest to God almost as close as I can remember [just watched it today] Loren Avedon says through childlike tears and words '' Not to him, cuz he was my father and I loved him.'' Wow. Having an eight year old boy right this script was not a good idea. You should be atleast fifteen to right a decend b-movie martial arts flick. FIFTEEN PEOPLE! Work with me here. Also someone to be named dies via shotgun to his cheekbone. Huh? His head didn't even move for crying out loud! I know none of this is supposed to be realistic. Some of the best ones who aren't supposed to be great due to crappiness are still unrealistic but this movie-just wow. In all of these flicks which I grew up on like probably most of us, the idea is to creatively do one thing. Bring non-ballistics combat to the forefront of the action with the most likely non-gun situation. Since every yahoo since the 1800's has been able to get their hands on a user-friendly multi-shot gun of some sort, you've got to think of all the reasons why they can't or shouldn't or wouldn't apply this ability in a situation where people want to hurt other people. Some movies do a great job of this, this one is one of those where it just makes no sense. Even worse then their attempt at drama like the 'he was my dad' thing, is their attempt at comedy. It's like when your six years old and you ''come up with'' a joke that you improv before you actually figure the joke out and it lasts twenty minutes and people are staring at you with the most uncomfortable smile you may ever see. Okay that is their comedy. It is only funny when you laugh at the movie, not with it. If you laugh with it,... guess what? Your sense of humor is dying. It's not dead yet, but it is sickly. So if you want a great great movie-1 star for Kieth and Loren's presence and one for the final fight scene-and if you want a great horrible movie-five stars all the way.

String Quartet Tribute to Garbage
String Quartet Tribute to Garbage
Price: $17.37
10 used & new from $2.90

2.0 out of 5 stars A star for the subject and a star for the concept..., July 2, 2004
Everything else fell flat. This classical album didn't have the guts that is for sure. Also it didn't have the big sound that Garbage's songs have. I knew it wouldn't be able to summon up the vibe of the band or the truly great and difficult to describe feel of Shirley Manson's voice which instruments are unlikely to get close to. However I was expecting the compositions to be made bigger and more at the forefront. Didn't happen. The subject and idea are admirable enough but it just didn't work. Didn't really do justice to the material. Overall just a shadow of the the actual songs. Unlike alot of classical takes on various different styles of rock songs, the sound is less and the composition is underdone. This could have gone bad in alot of ways I'm just alittle surprised at the way it actually did go bad. I just didn't care for it. Like another reviewer said, there was an unimaginative tone to it. Even if they had tried to say do all the notes just the way the songs were only all instrumental and on all classically identified instruments it would have been unimaginative but still probably good. They didn't even do that. They lessened the feeling of it.

Wolves of the Calla (The Dark Tower, Book 5)
Wolves of the Calla (The Dark Tower, Book 5)
by Stephen King
489 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Best one of the dark tower series, January 23, 2004
When I finished Calla, I picked up The Dark Half by King. 50 pages into it realizing A. This is good but B. This is how far Stephen King has come as a writer. Shocking. Calla in comparison to his older ones like Dark Half is vastly different as for once King does something that he rarely does. He abandons the unecessary descriptions that lose you when you are into one of his stories. This book is so low on useless description of every landscape and such that the story really flies. This is high on dialogue and story and as strange as it may seem unbelievably more vivid without such those descriptions. The characters have become much more. Each one of the gunslingers is far more developed with their previous journeys and new troubles. Yes Roland too. I don't want to spoil your possible surpise at this but in short, while Roland is still Roland, his heart has become more a part of his strength then at any time previous in the books. Each character was tested and each character rose to the occasion. But in the end this is not only in my opinion the easiest reading and best written of the books but by God the most pleasantly surprising of the books character concerning. My favorite of the books and because of the investment in the story over the years, I guess I have to say my favorite Stephen King book period. Even reading Dark Half as good a story as it is, it shows such striking improvement over the years in his ability to tell a story. Not insulting the reader's intelligence and giving enough pure entertainment to keep them into some very heavy subjects and catch on to some highly subtle forces at work emotionally speaking, while telling a very large story. Moving on from the dark part four we are in for a real breath of fresh air, especially those who read Salem's Lot, which I did not but I suppose I will make myself read a flipping vampire book now [ as much as I don't look forward to it ]! Bottom line is, this is the most surprising book concerning the characters including Jake and his similarity to someone else that I won't mention, even now. I hope you enjoy this one as much as I did, I lost sleep reading it for a few nights, and I sadistically hope you are just as worried as I am about the ending...appearances. How can some writer put SOME people [many] in such a panic about some story!? He can't,... unless he is really, really good.

Highlander: The Final Dimension
Highlander: The Final Dimension
DVD ~ Christopher Lambert
Price: $14.99
30 used & new from $2.25

1.0 out of 5 stars CAUTION!!!!, January 6, 2004
Only one ''special'' feature-trailers for other movies! Also this is in a format not mentioned on this site now- Widescreen. Repeat- Not full screen but crap screen as I call it. Now all 3 versions of the highlander movies [ excluding part two of course ] are widescreen. Me and everybody I know and have asked have no use for widescreen and hate it in comparison to full screen, who wants this? Stupid! 15$! Not recommended. 1 bad special feature- crapscreen format- copy protected so you can't put it on tape with one player [ boy I tried ]. I own it, but I can't put it on tape if I want to? I wasn't going to sell it, I just wanted to tape it for a friend who doesn't have a dvd player to watch it on. The quality of the transfer is nothing great. Considering it was made in the 90's and all- it looks about like it did. Also the story has plot holes you can walk through. I bought It partly for collection and partly because as bad as the actual story is or is laid out, it has good special effects -funny moments-deborah unger nude scene and I needed another highlander fix by the way. Not unwatchable at all, simply not well made. Entertaining but no real emotional weight like parts one and four. Horrible flashback of Lambert and Unger. Anyway half decent for fans' fixes, awful dvd packaging.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12