Profile for scott > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

scott RSS Feed

Transcend JetDrive 725 960GB SATA III SSD Upgrade Kit for 15" Macbook Pro with Retina display (Mid 2012 - Early 2013) TS960GJDM725
Price: $539.99
11 used & new from $535.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits Mid 2012 MBP and the performance is better than stock., July 6, 2014
I have been waiting to buy this, because the JetDrive 720 that I purchased would not fit my Mid 2012 15" Retina MBP. I have been corresponding with someone at transcend and although they would not provide any measurements, they assured me this unit would fit my machine.

It's disappointing that the same capacity drive, that will fit my computer, is priced $100 more.
It does not appear that there is any difference in the SSD between this unit and the 720 of equal capacity.

Update Jul 19, 2014
The 725 fits even better than stock and I am pleased to announce that when it is installed in my computer, it performs better than the SSD drive that was shipped with my Mid 2012 MBP Retina. It is also priced the same as the 720, therefore my earlier comment no longer applies. For these reasons, I have modified my rating of the product.

My primary reason for purchasing this product was because my stock 256 SSD did not have sufficient space for both a bootcamp and osx partition. After juggling apps on my 60GB boot camp partition one too many times, I decided to upgrade the SSD drive. I wanted to store a few VMs that I commonly run, on the internal drive. When flying, I sometimes access an external drive and worry that the external drive will fall or the port will be damaged if my computer is bumped. With almost a TB of space, I can now store VMs and other files that would require me to connect an external drive while traveling.

Since I frequently run more than one VM, it is imperative that the drive have good performance. To determine the performance of the drive, I ran several benchmarks using the Black Magic performance tool. I ran the test against all of the drives that I frequently have connected to my MBP. To reduce the chance of incompatibility issues among different hardware and port speeds, I rebooted my computer between tests, and had only one drive connected at a time. While I was testing, I made an observation related to the speed of the spinning drives. Although It's not directly related to this product, I though some of you may find it interesting. The issue only seems to present itself when connecting spinning drives, which require more power than SSD drives. When connected to an external, powered, USB 3 hub, the spinning drive performance improved by about 10% when compared to their performance while connected directly to the MBP.

I enabled trim on the 725 using Trim Enabler. It is unclear if this is necessary anymore, and unclear if the changes made by the tool work. When I check the trim status using Chameleon SSD Optimizer, after enabling trip support with Trim Enabler, it does not report that trip is enabled. Each of the 3 SSD drives perform very well, with the transcend having the best performance followed closely by the stock SSD and the Samsung 840. The Samsung 840 performance is dependent on the connection, and given the fact it is connected via the GoFlex, the performance of the SSD cannot be fairly compared to the Stock and 725 drives which were installed in the same machine.

Below are the test results I observed while using BlackMagic. The numbers are the first recorded read and write speed test (PAL) and not an average of all of the video codecs.

Disk, Read MB/Sec., Write MB/Sec.
Transcend 725 installed in MBP, 465, 440
Stock 256GB SSD installed in MBP, 446, 329
Transcend 725 SSD installed in External USB enclosure. 398, 387
Stock 256GB SSD installed in Transcend Adapter connected directly to MBP, 386, 316

Other drives for comparison
Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt adapter with bare Samsung 840 SSD installed, 373, 318
Seagate Backup Plus USB3 connected to powered 7 port Anker USB3 Hub, 82, 66
Seagate Backup Plus USB3 connected directly to MBP (same Drive as above) , 72, 61
WD My Passport USB3 connected to powered 7 port Anker USB3 Hub, 93, 91
WD My Passport USB3 connected directly to MBP (same Drive as above), 83, 78
Transcend SDXC Class 10 SD Card connected to MBP SD slot, 48, 18
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2014 1:32 PM PDT

Transcend JetDrive 720 960GB SATA III SSD Upgrade Kit for MacBook Pro with Retina display (Late 2012 - Early 2013) TS960GJDM720
Price: $539.99
23 used & new from $472.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Slow via USB3 and does not fit Mid 2012 MBRP, June 12, 2014
I have a 256 GB SSD in my MBPR and needed more internal space.

For the past year I have been using an external SSD thunderbolt drive and a USB3 spinning disk.

The first thing I noticed when I attempted to restore my 200GB OS partition was that it was slow. It took over 4 hours to move.

When I opened the case to install the SSD module in my computer it was about 1 millimeter to long. It looks like I could have sanded the edge of the SSD module to make it fit, but at $600 I was not comfortable taking the chance.

Since I did not have the SSD installed I can not judge the performance, but I can't figure out why it was slower than my WD My passport drive when connected to USB3.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2014 9:24 AM PDT

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Causing OSX to crash on Retina Macbook Pro, February 12, 2014
I received this disk a couple days ago and immediately ran Black Magic to determine the performance with HFS and exFat formats. Since I was not concerned with compatibility as much as I was concerned with performance, I thought it would be interesting to know if their would be a perceivable difference in performance between the two formats.

Here are the read and write throughput results for each format:

ExFat had 138 MB/s Write and 363 MB/s Read
HFS 131 MB/s Write and 347 MB/s Read

After formatting the drive ExFat, I copied some VM images, that I had previously been running on my WD My Passport Ultra 2TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 with Auto and Cloud Backup - Black (WDBMWV0020BBK-NESN) on to it. I expected there to be a noticeable difference in the responsiveness of my VMs, given there is a significant improvement in disk I/O.
The My Passport disk speed reported by Black Magic is 80MB/s read and 40 MB/s write, which is much lower, but I noticed no significant improvement with performance. It is unclear if this would change if I were running multiple VMs simultaneously, but if you only need to run one VM at a time from an external HD, a spinning USB3 drive may suite your needs.

When I woke up today, I noticed my machine had crashed. After restarting the computer, the SD card and WD USB3 drive mounted, but the Shadow Mini did not. After unplugging and plugging the drive back in, the Shadow Mini mounted and I was able to start the VM. Several hours later the computer crashed again.

After the last crash, I disconnected the Shadow Minidrive and started the same VM, which was running on the Shadow Mini when it crashed, from the My Passport drive. It has now been running longer from that drive than it had run on the Shadow Mini drive, so the issue appears to be related to the Shadow Mini drive. I had perviously been running this VM from the WD My Passport Ultra 2TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 with Auto and Cloud Backup - Black (WDBMWV0020BBK-NESN) for up to a week, so I did not expect that anything had changed with my machine, but I wanted to be fair to this drive and validate something else was not the cause of the recent crashes.

It is unclear if the crash was somehow caused by running a VM from the drive or whether the drive would have crashed the system without reading and writing to it, but since I was looking for this to be a VM drive, it does me no good.

If you are not using this for hosting your virtual machine images, you may be okay, but this is not a good solution for anybody who plans to run VMs from it connected to a Mac.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 16, 2014 7:41 PM PST

SPJPLANTS 9 foot POTTED Silk Artificial Areca Palm Tree Plant with 1017 leaves
SPJPLANTS 9 foot POTTED Silk Artificial Areca Palm Tree Plant with 1017 leaves

3.0 out of 5 stars Paid too much!, July 27, 2013
I bought this tree potted (paying 40.00 more for the pot)after reading all the reviews for similar trees. I didn't want to hassle with potting or attaching all the separate limbs to get this look. It came 3 days later. The plant came in sections and you still have to attach the limbs and fluff. The pot was recycled cardboard filled with foam filler. Not very sturdy or secure. It flops over even in the pot as if they just jammed the stalk in the foam. It is not a 9 ft. Tree. Not sure if I will keep it. $169.00 with shipping is a lot for this item.

Anker® AH121 USB 3.0 7-Port Hub with 36W Power Adapter [12V 3A High-Capacity Power Supply and VIA VL812 Chipset]
Offered by AnkerDirect
Price: $69.99
5 used & new from $29.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Caution does not work with Retina MBP, September 8, 2012
I purchased this for my retina MBP. For USB 2 devices, it worked intermittently and I noticed that my logitech mouse would not respond after the computer returned from sleep.
Unfortunately, it did not recognize a new WD USB 3 HD, a bytecc USB3 to ESATA, or a dat optic USB3 to ESATA adapter.
All three of which work fine, albeit at USB 2 speeds, with my old Belkin USB 2 hub.

If you have a Retina MBP, I would not recommend this device since none of the USB 3 devices are recognized by the OS, and since the light on the hub does not illuminate, the hub itself.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2012 2:35 AM PDT

BYTECC Bytecc Usb3-Esata Usb3-Esata Superspeed Usb 3.0 To Esata 3Gbs Adaptor More Views
Offered by CablesOnline
Price: $19.99
6 used & new from $8.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Will not work with multi-drive esata enclosure, August 28, 2012
I bought this to replace a roswill eSata express card because my Retina MBP does not have an express port. It works fine when attaching a single drive. However, I discovered today that if you attach an eSATA enclosure with multiple drives, it will only recognize the first drive.

If you are going to attach an eSATA chassis, this may not work for you.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 29, 2014 1:14 PM PDT

WD Nomad Rugged Case
WD Nomad Rugged Case
Offered by BESTBAY
Price: $49.99
18 used & new from $49.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool Case, hope I never have to test it's ruggedness., July 12, 2012
I bought this and a Western Digital My Passport 2 TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive -WDBY8L0020BBKNESN (Black). While I was waiting for my drive and case to arrive, I read on the WD site that the drive was not compatible with the 2 TB drive since it was thicker.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 26, 2014 7:00 AM PDT

WD My Passport 2TB Portable External USB 3.0 Hard Drive Storage Black (WDBY8L0020BBK-NESN)
Offered by LittlePiggy_Tech
Price: $130.57
26 used & new from $74.00

4.0 out of 5 stars 77MB/s average read write with USB 3, July 12, 2012
I bought this drive and the external enclosure Western Digital WD Nomad Rugged Case for use with my Retina MBP. The WD site stated that the case was not compatible with the 2TB model, so I was planning to modify it so it would accept this drive. To my surprise, the case has two removable spacers with some rubber fingers on them. You can snap out the spacers and re-apply the rubber fingers, over the location where the spacers were installed. The drive will fit in the case and close with minimal effort. It does not feel like you are forcing it and if it were any easier to close, the drive would be lose and I would be concerned it would bounce around if it were to fall.

I wanted a USB 3 drive that was self powered and portable. I have about 15 WD caviar green and black drives in several NAS, eSATA towers, servers and toasters. For the most part I have been happy with WD drives. My only bad experience was a batch of WDEADS20 drives that I bought near the end of the life cycle, due to a compatibility issue my thecus NAS had wit the newer WDEARS drives. Within about 18 months from purchase, 3 of the 5 drives failed to the point the NAS would not use them. I was able to get them replaced with minimum hassle from WD and have continued to be a customer. I have also had over 20 years of good experience with WD drives and recently pulled out a storage bin of about 20 old USB drives ranging in age of 5 to 10 years. Some of the drives had not been started in years and I was able to read them all.

I am planning to run virtual machines from this drive since the HD in my new RMBP is only 256GB. I had a couple virtual machines running in fusion on my early 2008 MBP. I had upgrade the internal drive to a 500GB momentus XT that averages 75MB/S write and 95MB/S read. This drive is averaging about 77MB/S on both the read and write speed so I am down a little on the disk I/O, compared to the internal drive of my old MBP. However, I think the net disk I/O may be slightly better since there will be less disk contention having the VMs and the host share the same drive. I only have my Bootcamp image setup in fusion and since it is running on the internal SSD, I can't comment on the real world performance of this drive for running VMs. I will try to post an update after I have a chance to run a couple VMs from this drive.

If you are looking for the fastest USB drive, stick with SSD. You can get a faster USB 3 spinning drive if you go up to a 7200 RPM drive, but those will require a power supply and will not be as portable as this one.

Why four stars you may ask. I guess I was a little disappointed that the drive was not a little faster. a 1.5TB WD scorpio blue has a transfer rate of 83MB/sec. The 2TB My Passport has more density which should equate to a better transfer rate all things remaining the same.