Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS
Profile for bookaddict01 > Reviews

Browse

bookaddict01's Profile

Customer Reviews: 69

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

bookaddict01 RSS Feed (Sacramento, CA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Alternative Women's Heather Long Pant, Eco True Rust, Large
Alternative Women's Heather Long Pant, Eco True Rust, Large
Offered by EZ Sportzwear
Price: $19.95

1.0 out of 5 stars extremely poor quality, February 6, 2016
Yes, it is very thin as other reviewers have stated. I decided to risk it seeing as I got it on sale for $8 for the rust color. Turns out to be too thin to even be worth $8. Even before I wore it, I figure it'll be lucky to last one season due to how thin the material was. The kicker though is it pilled up the first time I wore it. The second night, the pills were even bigger. I'll try to provide an update of how many times I'm able to wear it before it dies.

Queen of Blood
Queen of Blood
Price: $3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Queen of Blood/Betrothed by Jill Myles, February 6, 2016
This review is from: Queen of Blood (Kindle Edition)
I debated between giving it 3 or 4 stars. I feel it rates 3.5 stars but decided to go with 3.

The world building was pretty good for a romance. You can definitely feel the tension between the two people. Pretty predictable plot which I dont mind given it's a romance. They're always predictable. The way the author wrapped up the story at the end was unrealistic. After all that tension, the fix was really that easy? Huh, romance novel right? I did like the take on vampires and how that affected the Athoni culture and fashion.

Where it fell flat were the characters. None of them had much development. Rilen is very one dimensional. You could tell he was a villain from the start and I don't know what Seri ever saw in him. Apparently, he bullied everyone else from getting close to Seri so he was her only choice. Graeme could definitely use more screen time (or book time)? He's just this cool/cold prince because eyes are on him all the time and he can't do things wrong. He does try to be kind to Seri but it's like he doesn't know what to do with her. Myles didn't go into it too much. Guess he came across as a cold bastard to the person who wrote the top review for his book. Now Seri herself is very immature and choose all the wrong choices. Such as being together with Rilen who never cared for her and asked her to do dangerous things such as infiltrating the Castle. I knew it was a bad idea when she asked her servant girl to go pass a message to Rilen and the way she handled it afterwards was ridiculous. Yes she was put on the spot but to knowingly let murderers go free was awful. Then she was all mopey about it afterwards. She justifies everything by saying she's Vidari, they're Vidari, and you guys are Athoni. I could go on about the other things she ended up doing that were so stupid and that she knew were stupid but I wont. She acts like a spoiled teenager. The book never stated her age but her sister was 17yo and she thought Graeme looked only a couple years older than herself so I would guess twenty or early twenties.

Book was fairly easy to read. For those who care, the sex scenes were mild-moderate. Not at all graphic but not for you if you prefer all that to just be glazed over. BTW, she didn't always think about killing Graeme when they were in bed. Twice while they were engaging in sex, she thought about killing him because it was her duty but she was never motivated about it like the other reviewer made it out to sound.

Modern Contemporary Broadway Linear Crystal Chandelier Lighting Lamp H28" X W48"
Offered by GALLERY LIGHTING
Price: $350.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Much assembly required. It is "linear", January 14, 2016
Not what I expected. I've seen a lot of rectangular crystal lights so I didn't realize what it meant when it said linear. It really is "linear". This is why there's only two dimensions given; it isn't 3D. You get a line of crystals & 11 lights along a rod of ~1" diameter. I think I spent two hours assembling it. Very tiring on my fingers. Definitely make sure you have nails or something that will open all the rings (they're like minature key rings). Just follow the diagrams for assembly. Make sure you secure the base well because you're not going to want to mess with it once all the crystals are up. Very heavy, so much so that it pulls on the extension rods. I had to tighten the rods halfway and the way it screws in was terrible. When I'm trying to tighten where the lower extension rod attaches to the rod with the crystals, it would unscrew the lower extension rod from the upper. So make sure the vertical height is correct and tighten everything securely before placing the weight of the crystals on.
The product has a lot of plastic "crystals" and a few glass crystals. I received two heavily scratched plastic pieces. It came with a couple of spares so you can use it but it might not match the piece you're replacing. The large glass crystal balls are very heavy. The dangling crystal pieces are not secured in place. You get two dangly ends on a wire that you wrap around the rod. I had two or three really wiggly wires, causing one to fall to the floor and shatter the crystals (good thing it didn't make a mess). I ended up taping the wires in place with clear tape and hoping it doesn't show. I rearranged the pieces so you can't tell one was missing after it broke.
I was very upset the first day. The second day that I looked at it though, it did have pleasing esthetics. Good thing I had plan for the long side to face the entry door. The narrow profile view is visible from the stairs but didn't grate me as much the second day. Acceptable for the price as long as you know what you're getting and nothing breaks.

Dynasty Hardware MAN-30-US15, Manhattan Design Privacy Function Door Lever Satin Nickel (Bed / Bath)
Offered by Home Hardware Central
Price: $26.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Working fine so far, January 14, 2016
Have these installed for about two weeks. Working fine so far. No comment on installation since I made my brother do it but must not have been too bad since they're installed.
The little tab that you see on the product photo is the lock. You push it in to lock it and just turn the lever to unlock if you're on the inside. If you're locked out of the bathroom, just use the little tool it came with or anything stiff and skinny enough to stick into the hole. Just a push and it unlocks unlike the traditional bath locks that you have to jingle and turn the little key to unlock.

Craftmade SON52CH Sonnet 52-Inch Ceiling Fan, Chrome with White Frost Glass
Craftmade SON52CH Sonnet 52-Inch Ceiling Fan, Chrome with White Frost Glass
Offered by Del Mar Designs
Price: $359.00
3 used & new from $359.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks good. Tricky install, January 14, 2016
It looks good. It works. Fan doesn't seem to spin as fast as I was expecting looking at the stats. Seems about the same as a slower fan I just bought. Well balanced. Comes with the remote (requires installation of switch to work).
Tricky installation. The fan blades have a total of 6 holes (2 in each) for the screws. Only three holes were proper size allowing it to be screwed in securely. Screws are very short and I worry about security of the fan blades, I guess it's a good thing it doesn't spin that fast. We had to widen the other 3 holes so that the screws can go in further and engage the motor housing. Besides the normal assembly required for a ceiling fan, it required installation of the switch that came with it. Fan will not operate using your original switch. You must install their not-exactly-good-looking switch in order to get the fan to turn on and this will also allow the remote control to work. The switch did come with multiple face plates to match your existing switches.

Artchros Night Rose LED Wall Light, Small Night Light with Plug(Pack of 4,RED*2 BLUE*2)
Offered by Goldstar11
Price: $16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The blue looks better so go for the all blue pack instead, January 14, 2016
They're night lights. They work, what more can I say? The blue looks better so go for the all blue pack instead.

DynastyMattress- Twin XL Therapeutic Deluxe 10" with Cool AirFlow HD Memory Foam Mattress with High Quality Visco-Elastic Memory Foam, with FREE Pillow!
Offered by DYNASTY MATTRESS, INC.
Price: $219.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Still firm after two years, January 14, 2016
Bought the bed in Dec 2013. Working fine. No low spots have developed. Didn't smell. Came with included pillow.
It's my brother's bed and he says it doesn't get hot. He has no comment.
I'm 175lbs. Medium firmness when I tried sitting. Quite firm when you're laying down. We're a family that likes our beds firm. Some of us have been known to sleep on the floor occasionally and this isn't when we're camping. I recently tried out a different brand for the guest room and it was an epic fail. Recommended if you like your bed firm.

DreamFoam Bedding 8-Inch Memory Foam Bed, Twin X-Long
DreamFoam Bedding 8-Inch Memory Foam Bed, Twin X-Long
Price: $209.99
2 used & new from $209.00

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT FIRM!, January 14, 2016
NOT FIRM!!!
My family likes firm firm. My mom and my sister actually likes sleeping on the floor with light padding just for reference. Now I understand memory foam aren't that firm and that's why I went with a thinner 8". This bed advertises itself as being firm but it is the farthest thing from firm. If I sit down, the whole thing compresses all the way. If I lay completely flat, I sink in about 2". Both my brother and my sister had the same experience. My brother spent a couple nights on it and he was not a fan. Good thing I bought this for a guest room. Pros: no noticeable smell, comes with two pillows. NOT RECOMMENDED if you like firm or you're elderly.

As an alternative, look into the DynastyMattress 10" memory foam. It's decent and woe on me for trying to shop for firmer. It's fairly firm so that I can sit on it and not sink in. My brother has had the dynasty mattress for almost two years.

Linesman (A Linesman Novel)
Linesman (A Linesman Novel)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I've been trying out various amazon published work and novels by well establish authors with scores if not hundreds of favorable, July 17, 2015
Very engaging tale. I feel hope for the genre after wading through a bunch of duds the last two weeks. I've been trying out various amazon published work and novels by well establish authors with scores if not hundreds of favorable reviews with poor characterizations or plot holes a mile wide. This book took me two evenings of reading into the wee hours of the morning to finish. Thankfully my work didn't suffer although I did end up yawning throughout my cousin's performance earlier this evening.

Each character has a distinct personality. Ean Lambert started out kinda wimpy but he grew throughout the story. He lost some of his naivety but retained his honesty. He also kept powering up for those of you who like that in a hero. Dont worry, he doesn't become indestructible but he does get very strong. I like a lot of the other characters such as Princess Michelle & even Radko. There's a lot of people in the gray zone here. A villain may not stay a villain in this one.

The story holds together well. It doesn't contradict itself with facts that get thrown in further into the story. In the future, people stumble on an alien ship and discover "lines". After a lot of work, they were able to reproduce these lines, the most important of which are lines 9 & 10 that allow FTL travel by going through the void. No body knows how they work or even what lines 7 & 8 does but linesman are trained to work with them a certain way. Through the talents of our hero we find better ways to work with the lines and what line 8 does.

The only issue I had with this book was how often violence was used on Ean. Particularly jarring was the incidence with Radko. I could understand that she was upset but it's not really Ean's fault but she attacked him ruthlessly. She's military personnel and this was undisciplined behavior right in front of her superior. Yet nothing was ever done to punish her. Yes, I get that she had his unspoken approval because he was upset too but as we soon find out, Ean was completely blameless. She didn't even get a small token punishment for losing control. Weird.

I would definitely recommend this book and I can't wait for the sequel.

End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days Series)
End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days Series)
by Susan Ee
Price: $4.99
93 used & new from $0.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Just wanted to preface my review by saying I'm years past being a teenager but this is one of the few YA series that I love. Thi, May 12, 2015
I pre-ordered the paperback and finished it a few days ago. Just wanted to preface my review by saying I'm years past being a teenager but this is one of the few YA series that I love.

Things pick up right where it left off in book two. We get some insight on Beliel, the demon, which really made me feel sorry for him. Romance-wise please ignore the current poor reviews. They need a lesson in reading comprehension starting with his name being Raffe and not the more common Raphe. ***mini-spoiler alert: Penryn & Raffe's relationship didn't exactly break the rules if you were paying attention. It's practically the over arching plot (or underlying idea?) that God has been silent for centuries.***

You gotta love Penryn's crazy mom. She does it again in this book. Meaning her craziness kicked butt. Her sister, Paige's problems sorta get fix. Things are mostly wrapped up in this last book. It does make one wonder exactly how long God has been silent and how it became that way. I only wish it was a little longer. I did wonder how Paige was controlling the locusts but that might have been explained in the second book. There's not a whole lot of room for character growth since events takes place over the span of days. I was almost disappointed in Penryn when it seems like she was going to continue acting blind to her sister's needs but she came through for us.

So why only 4 stars? It is a little hard to believe an angel with so many years on him falling for a 17yo albeit a very mature one. I guess he's as driven by hormones as a human his apparent age? Second point would be how they manage to get a few of his Watchers back. It's pretty unbelievable stuff and all the implications of that are mindblowing.

I would definitely recommend this series and I already have to my friends.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7