Profile for bookaddict01 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 57

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

bookaddict01 RSS Feed (Sacramento, CA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Pavilion Mark My Words Aunt Mug, 17-Ounce, 4-3/4-Inch
Pavilion Mark My Words Aunt Mug, 17-Ounce, 4-3/4-Inch
Price: $13.78
2 used & new from $12.00

5.0 out of 5 stars It looks exactly like the picture, December 28, 2014
Bought it as a Christmas gift for my aunt. It looks exactly like the picture. Very nice size. My aunt and my dad both drink a lot of tea and always wants a bigger mug.

Lexar  JumpDrive S73 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive LJDS73-32GASBNA (Orange)
Lexar JumpDrive S73 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive LJDS73-32GASBNA (Orange)
Price: $18.99
80 used & new from $13.00

1.0 out of 5 stars It constantly becomes unrecognizable by the computer and my smart tv. I had a video file become corrupted, December 28, 2014
It stopped working after exatly two months of light use. It constantly becomes unrecognizable by the computer and my smart tv. I had a video file become corrupted. Good thing I didn't have anything important saved on it. Steer clear unless you dont mind losing your data or you only need to use it for 2 months.

Silver-Tone, Rhinestone, and Crystal Cuff Bracelet
Silver-Tone, Rhinestone, and Crystal Cuff Bracelet
Price: $40.00

3.0 out of 5 stars It looks almost exactly like the picture, November 23, 2014
It looks almost exactly like the picture. Where it differs is how dull it is in person. The band is very dull and obviously not silver. The rhinestone was a bit dull too but to be expected. For the price ($40), the band should be shiny at least. It may be suitable for a teenage girl but I'll most likely return it at this price point.

I noticed two previous reviewers saying something about the glue and poor quality. I didn't get any strong glue smell from this thing and everything seems stuck on nice and tight.

The Sims 4 Premium Edition
The Sims 4 Premium Edition
Offered by Shopville USA
Price: $109.99
31 used & new from $69.50

1.0 out of 5 stars I got it yesterday and it does't give a good initial impression, September 3, 2014
UPDATE 9/9/14
I've had it with the game and taking off another star. My fish is always spoiling whether in my inventory, my fridge, or the fish bowl. My sims do not appear to be cooking with the "foul" quality fish nor my home grown "great" quality veggies. They just buy the ingredient from cyber space as they cook the meal. Grafting plants doesn't create new veggies either. What's the point of my fishing and gardening? Also, I love building houses and this sucks. It's easier to build but lots lots less customization. You can make taller walls but how do you make split levels? My bathroom walls and shower walls dont match since they have different shades of green available and no CASt. I rarely leave my house because of the loading screens and how hard it is to manage your sims who are left at home. I'm going back to the Sims 3 until they come out with some game changing expansions.

UPDATE 9/5/14
BUILDING: wahh!!! where is my "moveobjects" cheat? It's really cramping my building style. The game also has gigantic posts which I could not integrate with my fence >=( I found fireplaces under decorations. There's a new round roofing style that you can get by manipulating the roofs (similarly, you can manipulate it for pagoda roof type).
GAMEPLAY: it's easier to monitor how a conversation is going and your familiarity by the status bar or hovering over a person. You can switch between members of your household in different neighborhoods by left clicking on the status symbol over their icons. I'm a micromanager of my sims and they dont seem to follow the stuff I've queued when I'm switching neighborhoods. Similarly the status icon shows a work icon when they're at work and you can use it to change their work style from "normal" to "work hard". It does load faster but some issues make it moot. I have to wait for loading every time I switch inbetween home and whereever else. I custom built my computer just so I can play the sims 3 without lag besides the initial loading and I had a ton of custom objects.
CONCLUSION: Definitely wait for the price to drop and for more content and functionality to be added before purchasing. Worth considering now if you've got a slower computer.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
The few hours I got in today and yesterday does't give a good initial impression. Some stuff stayed very similar although things have been moved around or look different it essentially functions the same. I listed some of the differences below. I did get the premier edition. Is it worth the extra $20? Probably not. It's like buying a stuff pack - you get some extra costumes.

Pros:
multitasking - they really seem smarter at multitasking
better implementation of blueprints

Cons:
small small small! world - very few plots of land/houses, no openworld, you have to travel like in the sims 2 except time isn't frozen when you get home
no going to to the market - no default skill books in the bookcase, had to click "purchase books" and it magically appears in my inventory, there is a library with skill books available
no customization with patterns - it's like back in the sims 2 with your preset patterns/colors
limited contents - only 1 blush?! so they'll probably milk you for your money in the expansions
only 3 traits - more milking of money
Hard to change camera angle
no pools, no basements
i heard that there are no toddlers either

Emissaries from the Dead (Andrea Cort, Book 1)
Emissaries from the Dead (Andrea Cort, Book 1)
by Adam-Troy Castro
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
83 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Forgettable, February 22, 2014
So I just finished the book a second time because I didn't remember finishing it the first time. I have a very good memory for stories but this one just wasn't memorable. I had very few flashes of deja vu and wasn't until the end that I realized I've finished the novel once before.

The setting was interesting and I did keep reading because I wanted to know more but it focused a lot more on the murders. Of all the different sentient species, none were introduced except for the artificial intelligences which aren't even a species. A lot more could have been done with this futuristic setting but we just get a very narrow view. Half of the mysteries were obvious especially the one involving Gibb. Andrea was not a very likable main character.

With all that I would have given it three stars if not for the following. From the beginning I was wondering about the location of Hammocktown. It feels like it's located at the bottom of the growth. No actual description or explanation. I can make assumptions it's more open and easier access for transportation but isn't it more human to want to be higher up without the view of a plunging death below? There's also an assumption throughout that once you let go of a vine death is inevitable. What prevents someone from grabbing a new one? Sounded like the vegetation is dense. I hate when there are flaws in the logic so it loses one more star.

Fosmon DURA S Series SLIM-Fit TPU Case for Samsung Galaxy S4 IV / I9500 (Green)
Fosmon DURA S Series SLIM-Fit TPU Case for Samsung Galaxy S4 IV / I9500 (Green)

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the color, May 6, 2013
Color is a little yellower than the screenshot but I really like it. It may just be the color settings on my pc.

I chose a TPU case for my new phone because in my experience it has proven better than a hard case at protecting my phone. The hard case on my previous phone kept popping open after I dropped it a few times so I ended up with a couple scratches on it. I can be pretty OCD about keeping my books and my phones in mint condition. The TPU case I later got for it held up much better to drops and I haven't had any problems. I have yet to drop the galaxy s4 but I believe this case will stay on the phone and give it a little cushion during falls. The fit is alright. The case on my old phone was tighter but it also made it almost impossible to remove and get to my sim card.

I agree with the reviewer K.Klotz. The volume and power buttons are covered by the case but you can hardly expect a cutout on the sides without messing up its integrity. It does make it a little harder to push the buttons so don't get it if you have carpal tunnel or what not.

Samsung Galaxy S4, White (AT&T)
Samsung Galaxy S4, White (AT&T)

4.0 out of 5 stars speedy!, April 28, 2013
Not sure how the other reviewer got their phone since I believe it was just released yesterday. I got my phone this morning as a little bday gift to myself. Haven't played with it too much with everything else going on but it's got a gorgeous screen. It's so big and colors are sharp. And I've finally got 4G to use my unlimited internet with, yay! Just downloaded a bunch of my old apps on it and there was no lag with the phone or the internet. Totally forgot I was using 4G and not wifi. Oh for you girls, I've got medium size hands and I've been handling it one-handed.

Pros:
1) fast
2) big screen
3) easy to customize home screen - icons will shift themselves if you want to put one in a spot that is currently occupied
4) can see battery percentage in top right corner
5) drop down menu chock full of stuff - you can access the settings or get to different functions like driving mode easily
6) camera has a gazillion options - the pic with sound is pretty cool and so is the one adding you into the picture one
7) micro sd card slot and removable battery
8) connected to my wireless printer with no trouble

Only 3 cons so far:
1) power button is on the other side from the volume button so I have to make sure I dont have my index finger on the vol before I squeeze and push the power button.
2) very thin and flimsy feeling - definitely getting a case for it
3) air gestures seems gimmicky, can't get mine to work

For reference, I was using the motorola atrix prior to today. Will update as I get to know it better.

UPDATE 5/5/13:
Still getting use to the new phone. Thanks to someone's tip about the sensor being in the top left corner I've got one feature of the air gestures to work. I really like the new side tab that works sorta like the pull down tab except it's loaded with apps. It makes it easier to switch inbetween apps instead of going back to the homescreen or holding the home button for last used apps. You can edit the apps that show up too. Battery life is better than expected. I figure with the bigger screen, a charge wont last as long as my old phone but it's about the same. I can get 2 days light-moderate use (checking email, using gps and setting my alarm) on one charge with 25% left over so I'm not pushing it. Takes about 1.5hr to charge it up.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2013 11:30 AM PDT

Sleep Joy 3" ViscO2 Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper, Twin
Sleep Joy 3" ViscO2 Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper, Twin
Price: $102.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, April 6, 2013
Bought it for my brother who has been using it the last 8mo. I remember it having a very strong minty smell for the first week but it didn't seem to be a problem. My cat did okay sleeping on it (he loves it btw) and my brother did fine too even with his prone-to-allergy skin.

My family likes their beds firm but the mattress is getting so old there's practically no stuffing to be felt so we got this pad for it. Now the bed springs no longer pokes and it's not too cushy. It gets a lot of use because my brother is always in bed with his phone or playing games on the tablet. He's also a big believer in naptime. For your reference, he and the cat makes 125lbs.

Siroflex Showerhead From Italy
Siroflex Showerhead From Italy
Offered by NEATitems
Price: $7.75
4 used & new from $7.74

5.0 out of 5 stars my mom loves it, April 6, 2013
This review is from: Siroflex Showerhead From Italy
She's been using it the last 7mo and she loves it. Very strong pressure. You wouldn't know it's a water saver. Last week she took a shower in my bathroom since some work was going in hers and she was shocked at the difference. She came running and said I should definitely switch out my sucky showerhead for one like hers.

Other notes: it was very easy to install. I just took out the old one and screwed this one in place. No leaks. Even my mom managed it herself when she switched bathrooms a month ago.

Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands Book 1)
Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands Book 1)
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good YA, January 22, 2013
I was feeling a little iffy about the book after reading some of the reviews but it was actually pretty good. So yeah the love developed kinda quickly but I've read less believable romances in romance novels and it is halfway believable. And there is a decent amount of explanation on why she was so set on rescuing her friend. Hey, it's a YA so it's not like she had 500 pages to develop the story. It's an easy enough read. My pet peeve is stupid main characters and the book did strike that. She made quite a few mistakes along the way to rescuing her friend but she admits her mistakes and didn't repeat them. It was appropriate in a way how she blame herself for being so stupid because it goes in line with her low self esteem. Don't worry though, we don't spend that much time reading about her blaming herself. I recommend reading it if you aren't expecting some epic storyline.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6