ARRAY(0x9f7b33a8)

Customer Reviews: 53

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

bookaddict01 RSS Feed (Sacramento, CA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Emissaries from the Dead (Andrea Cort, Book 1)
Emissaries from the Dead (Andrea Cort, Book 1)
by Adam-Troy Castro
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.19
78 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Forgettable, February 22, 2014
So I just finished the book a second time because I didn't remember finishing it the first time. I have a very good memory for stories but this one just wasn't memorable. I had very few flashes of deja vu and wasn't until the end that I realized I've finished the novel once before.

The setting was interesting and I did keep reading because I wanted to know more but it focused a lot more on the murders. Of all the different sentient species, none were introduced except for the artificial intelligences which aren't even a species. A lot more could have been done with this futuristic setting but we just get a very narrow view. Half of the mysteries were obvious especially the one involving Gibb. Andrea was not a very likable main character.

With all that I would have given it three stars if not for the following. From the beginning I was wondering about the location of Hammocktown. It feels like it's located at the bottom of the growth. No actual description or explanation. I can make assumptions it's more open and easier access for transportation but isn't it more human to want to be higher up without the view of a plunging death below? There's also an assumption throughout that once you let go of a vine death is inevitable. What prevents someone from grabbing a new one? Sounded like the vegetation is dense. I hate when there are flaws in the logic so it loses one more star.

Fosmon DURA S Series SLIM-Fit TPU Case for Samsung Galaxy S4 IV / I9500 (Green)
Fosmon DURA S Series SLIM-Fit TPU Case for Samsung Galaxy S4 IV / I9500 (Green)
Offered by SF Planet
Price: $3.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the color, May 6, 2013
Color is a little yellower than the screenshot but I really like it. It may just be the color settings on my pc.

I chose a TPU case for my new phone because in my experience it has proven better than a hard case at protecting my phone. The hard case on my previous phone kept popping open after I dropped it a few times so I ended up with a couple scratches on it. I can be pretty OCD about keeping my books and my phones in mint condition. The TPU case I later got for it held up much better to drops and I haven't had any problems. I have yet to drop the galaxy s4 but I believe this case will stay on the phone and give it a little cushion during falls. The fit is alright. The case on my old phone was tighter but it also made it almost impossible to remove and get to my sim card.

I agree with the reviewer K.Klotz. The volume and power buttons are covered by the case but you can hardly expect a cutout on the sides without messing up its integrity. It does make it a little harder to push the buttons so don't get it if you have carpal tunnel or what not.

Samsung Galaxy S4, White (AT&T)
Samsung Galaxy S4, White (AT&T)

4.0 out of 5 stars speedy!, April 28, 2013
Not sure how the other reviewer got their phone since I believe it was just released yesterday. I got my phone this morning as a little bday gift to myself. Haven't played with it too much with everything else going on but it's got a gorgeous screen. It's so big and colors are sharp. And I've finally got 4G to use my unlimited internet with, yay! Just downloaded a bunch of my old apps on it and there was no lag with the phone or the internet. Totally forgot I was using 4G and not wifi. Oh for you girls, I've got medium size hands and I've been handling it one-handed.

Pros:
1) fast
2) big screen
3) easy to customize home screen - icons will shift themselves if you want to put one in a spot that is currently occupied
4) can see battery percentage in top right corner
5) drop down menu chock full of stuff - you can access the settings or get to different functions like driving mode easily
6) camera has a gazillion options - the pic with sound is pretty cool and so is the one adding you into the picture one
7) micro sd card slot and removable battery
8) connected to my wireless printer with no trouble

Only 3 cons so far:
1) power button is on the other side from the volume button so I have to make sure I dont have my index finger on the vol before I squeeze and push the power button.
2) very thin and flimsy feeling - definitely getting a case for it
3) air gestures seems gimmicky, can't get mine to work

For reference, I was using the motorola atrix prior to today. Will update as I get to know it better.

UPDATE 5/5/13:
Still getting use to the new phone. Thanks to someone's tip about the sensor being in the top left corner I've got one feature of the air gestures to work. I really like the new side tab that works sorta like the pull down tab except it's loaded with apps. It makes it easier to switch inbetween apps instead of going back to the homescreen or holding the home button for last used apps. You can edit the apps that show up too. Battery life is better than expected. I figure with the bigger screen, a charge wont last as long as my old phone but it's about the same. I can get 2 days light-moderate use (checking email, using gps and setting my alarm) on one charge with 25% left over so I'm not pushing it. Takes about 1.5hr to charge it up.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2013 11:30 AM PDT

Sleep Joy 3" ViscO2 Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper, Twin
Sleep Joy 3" ViscO2 Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper, Twin
Price: $125.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, April 6, 2013
Bought it for my brother who has been using it the last 8mo. I remember it having a very strong minty smell for the first week but it didn't seem to be a problem. My cat did okay sleeping on it (he loves it btw) and my brother did fine too even with his prone-to-allergy skin.

My family likes their beds firm but the mattress is getting so old there's practically no stuffing to be felt so we got this pad for it. Now the bed springs no longer pokes and it's not too cushy. It gets a lot of use because my brother is always in bed with his phone or playing games on the tablet. He's also a big believer in naptime. For your reference, he and the cat makes 125lbs.

Siroflex Showerhead From Italy
Siroflex Showerhead From Italy
Offered by Enchantment Products
Price: $11.22
3 used & new from $9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars my mom loves it, April 6, 2013
This review is from: Siroflex Showerhead From Italy
She's been using it the last 7mo and she loves it. Very strong pressure. You wouldn't know it's a water saver. Last week she took a shower in my bathroom since some work was going in hers and she was shocked at the difference. She came running and said I should definitely switch out my sucky showerhead for one like hers.

Other notes: it was very easy to install. I just took out the old one and screwed this one in place. No leaks. Even my mom managed it herself when she switched bathrooms a month ago.

Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, Book One)
Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, Book One)
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good YA, January 22, 2013
I was feeling a little iffy about the book after reading some of the reviews but it was actually pretty good. So yeah the love developed kinda quickly but I've read less believable romances in romance novels and it is halfway believable. And there is a decent amount of explanation on why she was so set on rescuing her friend. Hey, it's a YA so it's not like she had 500 pages to develop the story. It's an easy enough read. My pet peeve is stupid main characters and the book did strike that. She made quite a few mistakes along the way to rescuing her friend but she admits her mistakes and didn't repeat them. It was appropriate in a way how she blame herself for being so stupid because it goes in line with her low self esteem. Don't worry though, we don't spend that much time reading about her blaming herself. I recommend reading it if you aren't expecting some epic storyline.

The Sims 3 Seasons
The Sims 3 Seasons
Price: $19.99
54 used & new from $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars oh how EA always releases buggy games, November 16, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: The Sims 3 Seasons (DVD-ROM)
I was really excited about the blueprint mode because although I like building houses they usually look terrible. However, the new update and Seasons only have anywhere from 3-6 styles for any room type (specifically: bathroom, kitchen, dining room, living room, bedroom, miscellaneous). And most of these rooms are terrible =[ Then I had the bright idea of making a custom blueprint of some of the nicer rooms I've designed only to find out it DOESN'T let you create your own blueprints although I read from several sources including on the blog of the SEASONS designers that you're suppose to be able to create your own blueprint. I tried to use it as is and built several different homes but I ended up customizing them a lot. Practically building from the ground up. How it works is you get a blueprint of a room and you can place it however you like but you can't make adjustments to the blueprint. You have to "realize" the blueprint as is and make adjustments in normal build mode and sometimes you end up doing a lot of adjustments. Sometimes windows and doors that are suppose to be there dont show up. This is suppose to be a window on a wall facing outside and not an interior wall. When I was working on an upstairs floorplan, most of the doors and furniture didn't show up. I'm building in edit town mode so it's not like my sim was out of money and besides my sims are filthy rich from working hard on epic lifespan mode. Blueprint mode is a bust until they get it to work right.

Since I usually play with awesome mod and all those other cool mods, I didn't spend too much time playing my sims. They're just too stupid and nothing works right the first few weeks until the mods get updated to be compatible. I played with them briefly to try some of the new activities. I threw a costume party and everyone arrived in costumes. Nobody seem to be doing anything different and I didn't see any new interactions for the party such as how you get fizzy nectar at wedding parties. Gift giving party was more fun. Half my guests brought gifts but for some reason the same two guests were opening presents. They each got 3 presents each with 2 being umbrellas =] Also tried swimming in the ocean. I was playing in Sunlit Tides and it seems like I have to use a particular patch of ocean or the interaction gets cancel with the sim showing the blocked path sign on top of his head. No mood effect from swimming. No cool down effect seen from swimming after my sim got warmed from the sun. He did end up with a suntan though =] I tried writing love letters and that was pretty fun.

Weather effects are very nice. Since you start off in the summer that's the season I've been experiencing. I got quite a few rain showers and they look very nice. You can see puddles forming and slowly disappearing. You can check the weather by looking out the window or on the tv. All my sims got drenched though. They didn't automatically take out an umbrella as advertised. I had to buy and put an umbrella in my sims inventory before they could use it. I pity those poor neighbors without umbrellas. It's raining an awful lot for summer. Anyway, I hope everything runs smoothly soon so I can get back to playing my sims.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 1, 2012 11:27 AM PST

Pantech Crossover Prepaid Android GoPhone (AT&T) with $25 Airtime Credit
Pantech Crossover Prepaid Android GoPhone (AT&T) with $25 Airtime Credit
6 used & new from $47.00

4.0 out of 5 stars works fine with no data plan, August 27, 2012
I bought this for my teenage brother so I no longer have to wonder where he is all the time. Because this phone only offers the $25 and $50 monthly data to-go plan, I bought the sim card with 1000 prepaid minutes at the AT&T store first. Stuck my SIM card into the phone once it arrived and charged it up. Enter the setting to wi-fi only at set-up. Installed one of those bandwidth counters just to double check that no data was sent over the phone network. He's had it for 3 weeks and so far so good. It shows zero bytes transferred. Since I did it this way I couldn't call in for the $25 credit but oh well.

The screen is an okay size. Speed is alright albeit slower than on my Moto Atrix but much improved over my old Moto Backflip (would only wish this on my worst enemy). Very nice live wallpaper that came with it. I was able to install a bunch of programs from Google Play & Amazon's Android Market with no problems. So far all the programs and games work without a hitch. I know since I installed and configured everything and played a couple of games. It is a little harder to type on the digital keyboard since the screen is small but it comes with a slide out keyboard. Not sure how long that will last because the keyboard feels a little stiff and rickety; I wish it would slide out easier but not a huge problem because we don't text. All in all, a good price for a fully useable Android.

UPDATE 4-6-13: Phone still working fine. My brother has been using it with the home internet a lot and I haven't heard a complaint yet. I often catch him playing puzzle games and surfing the web on it.

Blue Star 650W 20+4-pin Blue LED Fan ATX Power Supply w/SATA & PCIe (Blue)
Blue Star 650W 20+4-pin Blue LED Fan ATX Power Supply w/SATA & PCIe (Blue)

2.0 out of 5 stars It burned out after 1 year, August 27, 2012
Worked fine for a year, but right after the warranty expired, the power supply expired too. I did not overload it; my computer is fully supported with a 500 watt power supply. I would not recommend buying this product. Every other power supply I've had has lasted much longer.

Sulwhasoo Ginseng Concentrated Cream 60ml
Sulwhasoo Ginseng Concentrated Cream 60ml
Offered by KOREAN HERBAL SKINCARE
Price: $183.65
12 used & new from $177.11

5.0 out of 5 stars my mom loves it, August 24, 2012
She loves it so much we just went to the local Amore shop to buy her 3rd jar today. My mom is 50y/o with very sensitive skin. She used to use Olay Regenerist which she really liked but decided to try this since it's Korean and she figures it will work better for Asian skin. She says this stuff really works. She tried a different brand last week because it was on sale and it made her skin really rough. She switched back to this after 3 days and her skin got better after 5 days. Had to go stock up since she used the last of her last jar. If my mom had her way (as in if we had money), she would be getting the $400 jar instead. That's how much she likes this stuff. BTW, my mom often gets mistaken as my sister and it's embarrassing how people don't believe she's my mom.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6