Profile for bookaddict01 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 61

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

bookaddict01 RSS Feed (Sacramento, CA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Linesman
Linesman
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I've been trying out various amazon published work and novels by well establish authors with scores if not hundreds of favorable, July 17, 2015
This review is from: Linesman (Kindle Edition)
Very engaging tale. I feel hope for the genre after wading through a bunch of duds the last two weeks. I've been trying out various amazon published work and novels by well establish authors with scores if not hundreds of favorable reviews with poor characterizations or plot holes a mile wide. This book took me two evenings of reading into the wee hours of the morning to finish. Thankfully my work didn't suffer although I did end up yawning throughout my cousin's performance earlier this evening.

Each character has a distinct personality. Ean Lambert started out kinda wimpy but he grew throughout the story. He lost some of his naivety but retained his honesty. He also kept powering up for those of you who like that in a hero. Dont worry, he doesn't become indestructible but he does get very strong. I like a lot of the other characters such as Princess Michelle & even Radko. There's a lot of people in the gray zone here. A villain may not stay a villain in this one.

The story holds together well. It doesn't contradict itself with facts that get thrown in further into the story. In the future, people stumble on an alien ship and discover "lines". After a lot of work, they were able to reproduce these lines, the most important of which are lines 9 & 10 that allow FTL travel by going through the void. No body knows how they work or even what lines 7 & 8 does but linesman are trained to work with them a certain way. Through the talents of our hero we find better ways to work with the lines and what line 8 does.

The only issue I had with this book was how often violence was used on Ean. Particularly jarring was the incidence with Radko. I could understand that she was upset but it's not really Ean's fault but she attacked him ruthlessly. She's military personnel and this was undisciplined behavior right in front of her superior. Yet nothing was ever done to punish her. Yes, I get that she had his unspoken approval because he was upset too but as we soon find out, Ean was completely blameless. She didn't even get a small token punishment for losing control. Weird.

I would definitely recommend this book and I can't wait for the sequel.

End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days Series)
End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days Series)
by Susan Ee
Price: $8.49
53 used & new from $5.17

4.0 out of 5 stars Just wanted to preface my review by saying I'm years past being a teenager but this is one of the few YA series that I love. Thi, May 12, 2015
I pre-ordered the paperback and finished it a few days ago. Just wanted to preface my review by saying I'm years past being a teenager but this is one of the few YA series that I love.

Things pick up right where it left off in book two. We get some insight on Beliel, the demon, which really made me feel sorry for him. Romance-wise please ignore the current poor reviews. They need a lesson in reading comprehension starting with his name being Raffe and not the more common Raphe. ***mini-spoiler alert: Penryn & Raffe's relationship didn't exactly break the rules if you were paying attention. It's practically the over arching plot (or underlying idea?) that God has been silent for centuries.***

You gotta love Penryn's crazy mom. She does it again in this book. Meaning her craziness kicked butt. Her sister, Paige's problems sorta get fix. Things are mostly wrapped up in this last book. It does make one wonder exactly how long God has been silent and how it became that way. I only wish it was a little longer. I did wonder how Paige was controlling the locusts but that might have been explained in the second book. There's not a whole lot of room for character growth since events takes place over the span of days. I was almost disappointed in Penryn when it seems like she was going to continue acting blind to her sister's needs but she came through for us.

So why only 4 stars? It is a little hard to believe an angel with so many years on him falling for a 17yo albeit a very mature one. I guess he's as driven by hormones as a human his apparent age? Second point would be how they manage to get a few of his Watchers back. It's pretty unbelievable stuff and all the implications of that are mindblowing.

I would definitely recommend this series and I already have to my friends.

14K Rose Gold-Plated Sterling Silver Champagne and White Diamond Teardrop Pendant Necklace (1/4 cttw, I-J Color, I2-I3 Clarity), 18''
Price: $127.51
2 used & new from $73.69

4.0 out of 5 stars A little smaller than I expected but still a decent ..., May 8, 2015
A little smaller than I expected but still a decent size. Not a fan of the flimsy chain. Please note that those factors will contribute to the pendant rotating occasionally when you lean forward.

Sterling Silver Swarovski Elements Aquamarine Colored Multi-Teardrop and Briolette Earrings
Price: $45.30
2 used & new from $43.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks like the picture, March 12, 2015
Looks like the picture. Very nice light blue and shiny. Earrings weigh surprising little so you dont have to worry about wearing for an extended period. I've gotten several compliments when I wore them last week.

Pavilion Mark My Words Aunt Mug, 17-Ounce, 4-3/4-Inch
Pavilion Mark My Words Aunt Mug, 17-Ounce, 4-3/4-Inch
Price: $12.00
3 used & new from $6.60

5.0 out of 5 stars It looks exactly like the picture, December 28, 2014
Bought it as a Christmas gift for my aunt. It looks exactly like the picture. Very nice size. My aunt and my dad both drink a lot of tea and always wants a bigger mug.

Lexar  JumpDrive S73 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive LJDS73-32GASBNA (Orange)
Lexar JumpDrive S73 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive LJDS73-32GASBNA (Orange)
Price: $24.11
12 used & new from $14.99

1.0 out of 5 stars It constantly becomes unrecognizable by the computer and my smart tv. I had a video file become corrupted, December 28, 2014
It stopped working after exatly two months of light use. It constantly becomes unrecognizable by the computer and my smart tv. I had a video file become corrupted. Good thing I didn't have anything important saved on it. Steer clear unless you dont mind losing your data or you only need to use it for 2 months.

Silver-Tone Mixed Material Statement Cuff Bracelet
Silver-Tone Mixed Material Statement Cuff Bracelet

3.0 out of 5 stars It looks almost exactly like the picture, November 23, 2014
It looks almost exactly like the picture. Where it differs is how dull it is in person. The band is very dull and obviously not silver. The rhinestone was a bit dull too but to be expected. For the price ($40), the band should be shiny at least. It may be suitable for a teenage girl but I'll most likely return it at this price point.

I noticed two previous reviewers saying something about the glue and poor quality. I didn't get any strong glue smell from this thing and everything seems stuck on nice and tight.

The Sims 4 Premium Edition
The Sims 4 Premium Edition
Offered by Shopville USA
Price: $99.09
25 used & new from $50.00

1.0 out of 5 stars I got it yesterday and it does't give a good initial impression, September 3, 2014
UPDATE 9/9/14
I've had it with the game and taking off another star. My fish is always spoiling whether in my inventory, my fridge, or the fish bowl. My sims do not appear to be cooking with the "foul" quality fish nor my home grown "great" quality veggies. They just buy the ingredient from cyber space as they cook the meal. Grafting plants doesn't create new veggies either. What's the point of my fishing and gardening? Also, I love building houses and this sucks. It's easier to build but lots lots less customization. You can make taller walls but how do you make split levels? My bathroom walls and shower walls dont match since they have different shades of green available and no CASt. I rarely leave my house because of the loading screens and how hard it is to manage your sims who are left at home. I'm going back to the Sims 3 until they come out with some game changing expansions.

UPDATE 9/5/14
BUILDING: wahh!!! where is my "moveobjects" cheat? It's really cramping my building style. The game also has gigantic posts which I could not integrate with my fence >=( I found fireplaces under decorations. There's a new round roofing style that you can get by manipulating the roofs (similarly, you can manipulate it for pagoda roof type).
GAMEPLAY: it's easier to monitor how a conversation is going and your familiarity by the status bar or hovering over a person. You can switch between members of your household in different neighborhoods by left clicking on the status symbol over their icons. I'm a micromanager of my sims and they dont seem to follow the stuff I've queued when I'm switching neighborhoods. Similarly the status icon shows a work icon when they're at work and you can use it to change their work style from "normal" to "work hard". It does load faster but some issues make it moot. I have to wait for loading every time I switch inbetween home and whereever else. I custom built my computer just so I can play the sims 3 without lag besides the initial loading and I had a ton of custom objects.
CONCLUSION: Definitely wait for the price to drop and for more content and functionality to be added before purchasing. Worth considering now if you've got a slower computer.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
The few hours I got in today and yesterday does't give a good initial impression. Some stuff stayed very similar although things have been moved around or look different it essentially functions the same. I listed some of the differences below. I did get the premier edition. Is it worth the extra $20? Probably not. It's like buying a stuff pack - you get some extra costumes.

Pros:
multitasking - they really seem smarter at multitasking
better implementation of blueprints

Cons:
small small small! world - very few plots of land/houses, no openworld, you have to travel like in the sims 2 except time isn't frozen when you get home
no going to to the market - no default skill books in the bookcase, had to click "purchase books" and it magically appears in my inventory, there is a library with skill books available
no customization with patterns - it's like back in the sims 2 with your preset patterns/colors
limited contents - only 1 blush?! so they'll probably milk you for your money in the expansions
only 3 traits - more milking of money
Hard to change camera angle
no pools, no basements
i heard that there are no toddlers either

Emissaries from the Dead (Andrea Cort, Book 1)
Emissaries from the Dead (Andrea Cort, Book 1)
by Adam-Troy Castro
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
57 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Forgettable, February 22, 2014
So I just finished the book a second time because I didn't remember finishing it the first time. I have a very good memory for stories but this one just wasn't memorable. I had very few flashes of deja vu and wasn't until the end that I realized I've finished the novel once before.

The setting was interesting and I did keep reading because I wanted to know more but it focused a lot more on the murders. Of all the different sentient species, none were introduced except for the artificial intelligences which aren't even a species. A lot more could have been done with this futuristic setting but we just get a very narrow view. Half of the mysteries were obvious especially the one involving Gibb. Andrea was not a very likable main character.

With all that I would have given it three stars if not for the following. From the beginning I was wondering about the location of Hammocktown. It feels like it's located at the bottom of the growth. No actual description or explanation. I can make assumptions it's more open and easier access for transportation but isn't it more human to want to be higher up without the view of a plunging death below? There's also an assumption throughout that once you let go of a vine death is inevitable. What prevents someone from grabbing a new one? Sounded like the vegetation is dense. I hate when there are flaws in the logic so it loses one more star.

Fosmon DURA S Series SLIM-Fit TPU Case for Samsung Galaxy S4 IV / I9500 (Green)
Fosmon DURA S Series SLIM-Fit TPU Case for Samsung Galaxy S4 IV / I9500 (Green)

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the color, May 6, 2013
Color is a little yellower than the screenshot but I really like it. It may just be the color settings on my pc.

I chose a TPU case for my new phone because in my experience it has proven better than a hard case at protecting my phone. The hard case on my previous phone kept popping open after I dropped it a few times so I ended up with a couple scratches on it. I can be pretty OCD about keeping my books and my phones in mint condition. The TPU case I later got for it held up much better to drops and I haven't had any problems. I have yet to drop the galaxy s4 but I believe this case will stay on the phone and give it a little cushion during falls. The fit is alright. The case on my old phone was tighter but it also made it almost impossible to remove and get to my sim card.

I agree with the reviewer K.Klotz. The volume and power buttons are covered by the case but you can hardly expect a cutout on the sides without messing up its integrity. It does make it a little harder to push the buttons so don't get it if you have carpal tunnel or what not.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7