Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Blue October Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS
Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Browse

Amazon Customer's Profile

Customer Reviews: 27

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer RSS Feed (Houston, Texas)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Isle of Night: The Watchers
Isle of Night: The Watchers
by Veronica Wolff
50 used & new from $0.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes the term "bad-ass beauties" to a whole new level!, February 21, 2012
Annelise just wants to get away. From her crappy town, her abusive family, and her high school. And then tall, dark, and handsome with memorizing green eyes shows up and offers it to her. Ronan promises her a whole new life if she's strong enough. She's reluctant, but accepts. What she finds is nothing like what she expected. Annelise finds herself amongst hard core beauties and want-to-be vampires... not to mention real ones too. But, it comes at a price. Annelise must fight to become one of the few select "Watchers". And little does she know, she will be fighting for her life.

Isle of Night is like a Hunger Games filled with all girls, and no "boyfriend" to push Annelise through. The whole story is thrilling. There's a chill, a death, and some blood around every corner. The fighting is intense and Annelise is a beauty with brains, but also incredibly strong. It shows you that having brains is just as good as having looks. You'd especially need witty comments if you had to room with Annelise's roommate Lilac. She's a tightly wound fireball (literally), with a cold, crazy heart. But, on the other side Annelise has two friends whom I loved. And they are Emma and Yasuo. They are both easy-going, yet strong and smart.

Next, this book doesn't really have any "romance" per say. There is some definite chemistry and sexual tension, but no physical romance. But, that being said I didn't hesitate with the book at all because it doesn't need it. The story line itself is so strong that it does perfectly fine without it. I have to admit I loved Ronan though and I just wish something a little more happened with him and Annelise. Though, I understand why it didn't.

Isle of Night was a suspenseful read that I enjoyed, and I am eagerly awaiting book two, Vampire's Kiss.

Lark
Lark
by Tracey Porter
Price: $15.99
63 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense., June 29, 2011
This review is from: Lark (Hardcover)
Don't let this book's small size deter you. It packs a pretty mean punch, straight to the heart. I flew through this within two or three hours.

Admittedly, I stayed far away from this until I felt like I had plucked up the courage to finally read it. I needed every ounce of that courage for the story that was waiting for me within these pages. Lark is a very real and heartbreaking account of a young girl who is abducted, raped, and left for dead in the woods of her small hometown in northern Virginia.

Each girl has her own distinct voice. Eve is recovering from sexual harassment, while Nyetta is recovering from her parent's tumultuous divorce coupled with the fact that Lark's ghost is visiting her from the grave. I thought that the alternate narrations between Lark, Eve and Nyetta were handled seamlessly and flowed easily.

Would I recommend this? Absolutely. However, there is some violent and graphic imagery that might not be suitable for more sensitive readers.

We'll Always Have Summer (The Summer I Turned Pretty)
We'll Always Have Summer (The Summer I Turned Pretty)
by Jenny Han
Price: $15.98
178 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect summer read., April 27, 2011
Belly is a sweetly naive college girl who has been with her boyfriend, Jeremiah for the last two years, after having broken up with his brother Conrad. When Jeremiah cheats on her, her entire world comes crashing down on her. In a moment of weakness and desperation, he proposes to her and she takes him back and it brings them closer than ever before. This drives a wedge between Belly and her mother, and generally causes a huge amount of upset. So, Belly is forced to carry on with everything as planned and get ready for a wedding -- without her mother's help, or her blessing. Belly's naiveté was both endearing and grating at times.

I could envision myself laying by the pool, tanning and reading this. It isn't too involved or overly complicated, and Han's writing is pretty solid and engaging. The story line is predictable, and it's pretty obvious who she's going to end up with in the end. I actually really liked Conrad a lot. Jere was kind of an inconsiderate pig and he seriously annoyed the bejesus out of me.I think I'm going to read the first two books now. I wanna know more. =]

Bumped
Bumped
by Megan McCafferty
Price: $13.52
125 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking., April 27, 2011
This review is from: Bumped (Hardcover)
I was actually really surprised at how much I loved this. McCafferty wrote the Jessica Darling series, so I'd be lying if I said I'd be a little curious as to how she would pull off a YA dystopian. But she did it. With flying colors.

The world building was so seamless and so quietly done that I was immersed in this new world without me even realising. The next thing I knew about three or four hours had passed and I was near the end of the book. The world she has created was so fully realised that it was so easy to slip myself into. The slang was a little weird, and I found myself pretty confused by some of the terms (Seriously? What the heck is an `everythingbut'?!), but just ignored them/made up my own meaning for them. I do wish there had been a glossary or something included in the back of the book to tell you what some of the slang means. While it wasn't a major hindrance, I wish a couple things were altered:

- A better explanation of the infertility virus and how it came to be
- A lessening of some of the more cringe worthy words, think high school Health Class
- The major cliffhanger at the end, sure it'll make me buy the next book but
that's just too far away to think about!

Bumped deals in issues that are pretty heavy - questions about who owns the rights to their own bodies, how teenagers' bodies are taken advantage of when it becomes the only way of surviving as a race, capitalizing on sex and pregnancy. At the end of the book, the characters are kind of rethinking their world and their places in it and how they treat their bodies, but the decisions they reach about these issues largely take place behind the scenes and are described with genuine feeling and sincerity. The main example being our star, Melody. The slow, steady development, and raising awareness between her and Zen was a major example.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next!

The Last Little Blue Envelope (13 Little Blue Envelopes)
The Last Little Blue Envelope (13 Little Blue Envelopes)
by Maureen Johnson
Price: $16.99
125 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars "you can never visit the same place twice. Each time, it's a different story.", April 27, 2011
I literally read both 13 Little Blue Envelopes as well as The Last Little Blue Envelope in a matter of fifteen hours, and fell in love. When I initially read the first installment, I felt like Maureen Johnson had intended to leave it open ended for the reader to piece together themselves, but at the same time, it seemed to conclude itself. I wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading the last book.

The plot was fast, yes, and in this book, unlike the first one, the characters definitely were more developed, so in that regard it was absolutely wonderful. Oliver, the oh-so-mysterious, snobby and tall, dark and handsome dude was...well, hot. I do wish we'd gotten to know him better once we'd found out his motives behind the blackmailer-façade. I found myself wanting to know more about him, and I really hope that Johnson explores this relationship a little more in *crosses fingers* yet another installment! Keith in this book was a lot more tolerable, as in a lot less spasmodic. But, seriously, can someone PLEASE tell me what was up with his flirting with Ginny despite the fact that his girlfriend was about five feet away!? I loved him. I had faith in him, dammit. Keith, WHY?!

I really enjoyed watching Ginny find her confidence and independence, and really look forward to a third installment. I need to know more about Oliver! If you enjoyed the first book, you'd definitely enjoy this one. Aunt Peg really had something when she said, "you can never visit the same place twice. Each time, it's a different story" and this one is a good one.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 9, 2011 5:26 AM PDT

In the Arms of Stone Angels
In the Arms of Stone Angels
by Jordan Dane
Price: $8.12
53 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing., April 25, 2011
This book brought me to tears. I felt as though I were right there alongside Brenna, experiencing everything firsthand. This book touched a lot of issues. There was racism, sexist, and plain old meanness. Brenna the subject of much ridicule because of the simple fact that she was a white girl in love with an Indian boy. The whole town frowned upon this faux-pas, and we saw her being persecuted over and over again. The picture that Dane paints is remarkable, so much so that she has captured such intense emotion in me that I couldn't control what I was feeling. I felt hate, and white-hot rage for the townspeople, and was smitten and intrigued by White Bird.

There are so many twists and turns, and you don't know who to trust. The character development was top-notch, and Dane captured the true essence of humanity on these pages.

Choker
Choker
by Elizabeth Emma Woods
Price: $16.39
86 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark and disturbing only adds to it's awesomeness., April 25, 2011
This review is from: Choker (Hardcover)
Wow. Where to start? I picked this up thinking that it would be a light, engaging read but I was so, so wrong. This is probably by far the creepiest book I've read in a really long time. Unexpected twists and turns made this a pretty solid read. Zoe scared the bejesus out of me. My God. Some of the things Zoe did were terrifying and disgusting, and their friendship was almost disturbing. Cara was weak and accomodating, and actually really irritated me, but as nother reviewer suggests, had she been any other way the story wouldn't have panned out as beautifully as it did.

Dark. Unsettling. Deeply disturbing. Utterly amazing. Pick it up, kiddies. You won't be disappointed.

The Goddess Test
The Goddess Test
by Aimée Carter
Price: $9.99
128 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Be still, my heart., April 25, 2011
This review is from: The Goddess Test (Paperback)
I was positively thrilled when I came across this little gem. I mean, look at that cover! It's fabulous! Even better that it's centered around Greek mythology. I had high hopes and exceptions, but Carter went above and beyond.

The world building, references to Greek mythology were all there. However, several of the secondary characters didn't seem alive to me. There were interactions between Kate and her secondary characters where I had to go back and re-read because it all felt like it was happening too darn fast. There were no reasons whatsoever for Kate to feel such loyalty to some of the characters she just met. Sacrifice the entire rest of my life for a girl who tried to leave me in the woods? Sure, why not! People are trying to poison me? Heck yea, I'm game!

However, Kate had mass amounts of depth and heart. She displayed courage, strength, and moments of genuine sincerity and compassion. I felt the struggle Kate was going through as she tried to take care of her mother, and the composure she showed really impressed me.

The author was great about making Kate's slowly changing feelings toward Henry really believable, as well as demonstrating her free will in the situation so that it doesn't get into weird Stockholm's Syndrome territory. I have never honestly seen Hades as a sympathetic character, but seeing him as Henry changed my outlook on him a bit. I had hoped that he would come out of his shell a bit more as the story progressed, and while he did, it wasn't enough for my liking. I'm really hoping to see more personality from him in Goddess Interrupted.

Complaints aside, this was a pretty solid debut (that I downed in about one sitting) and I'm really looking forward to the next installment.

The Betrayal of Maggie Blair
The Betrayal of Maggie Blair
by Elizabeth Laird
Price: $9.34
63 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful execution, but the plot just wasn't there for me., April 19, 2011
In this book, we're introduced to Maggie Blair who is orphaned and lives with her Grandmother in 17th Century rural Scotland. The book is peppered with references to Laird's own ancestry and landmarks, and has some pretty solid writing. A shame to say what a disappointment the book was. I was completely bombarded with scripture and bible verses and it seemed that the main focus of the story was God and Religion which makes sense, as Maggie is wrongfully accused of being a witch, but I felt like it was shoved down my throat. I think that Laird just took the concept and ran with it. Overall, I found the historical setting fairly authentic, with allowances given to help make it accessible. I felt empathy for Maggie, yet there was a distance throughout my reading, I never felt totally immersed and didn't really feel that connection with the main character as I normally do when I read a book.

The main problem that I had with Maggie was that she was so superstitious and ignorant, so she fell short.

I give this book a 3/5 because the writing, and character development were done really well.

Betrayal (The Descendants, #1)
Betrayal (The Descendants, #1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Must-read of the year., March 31, 2011
Gods, Goddesses, shifters, vampires.. Betrayal had it all. Forbidden love, scandal, secrets. Michel paints both beautiful and grotesque imagery in the first installment of her freshman series The Descendants. The beginning drags a bit, not gonna lie, but some disturbing, and life changing events grab you by the shoulders and you realize what a gem you're holding in your hands. There's a wealth if information in this book, and nothing is lacking. From character building to world building, there were no small parts in this book. Everyone had a purpose, every place described was an integral part of the story. No one was simply a prop in this story, and I found myself wanting to know more about the characters described in this book. The fight scenes, which can often end up lame, were beautifully choreographed and gripping. Michel is truly a master of her craft. The must-read of the year, hands down.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 13, 2011 4:42 PM PDT