Profile for Kevin > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kevin RSS Feed

PS335890 Whirlpool Roper Oven Parts Bake Element PS335890
PS335890 Whirlpool Roper Oven Parts Bake Element PS335890
Offered by Parts4sale
Price: $44.55
3 used & new from $44.55

5.0 out of 5 stars This heating element make my oven hot! This is a good thing because my old heating element wouldn't work and so I couldn't cook, March 7, 2015
This heating element make my oven hot! This is a good thing because my old heating element wouldn't work and so I couldn't cook anything. But with this new one I bought it works so now I can cook.

Samsung Original Genuine OEM Samsung Reality U820 1080mAh Spare Replacement Li-ion Battery - Non-Retail Packaging - Silver
Offered by VaioLab USA
Price: $4.90
7 used & new from $1.07

5.0 out of 5 stars This works awesome! It makes my phone run longer than my previous one., March 7, 2015
This works awesome! It makes my phone run longer than my previous one.

Tide: The Paradox Effect
Tide: The Paradox Effect
Offered by Short-form Videos
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome! I want an mp3 single of this song. Wish it was in the Blackheart album. This is great music., March 7, 2015
This review is from: Tide: The Paradox Effect

Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps 18-in-1 Hemp Pure-Castile Soap Almond 32 fl oz
Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps 18-in-1 Hemp Pure-Castile Soap Almond 32 fl oz
Offered by cosmeticbeautyplace
Price: $17.49
50 used & new from $11.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Good soap, January 29, 2014
Wash your hair, skin, face and it won't dry it out. Last me about three months in the 32 oz. size. You can buy cheaper products but they aren't worth the quality you get from this soap. Will always buy when I get a chance.

Nike Men's Skeet Skate Shoe - Black/ White
Nike Men's Skeet Skate Shoe - Black/ White

3.0 out of 5 stars Nike is solid shoe, hopefully not too solid., April 22, 2011
I wear a 10, I got 10.5 and they are tight around the bridge of my feet. But I just got them and they'll probably wear in. Nicely made, good quality otherwise. But if these don't relax after a bit I may have to return them.

The Dispossessed (Hainish Cycle)
The Dispossessed (Hainish Cycle)
by Ursula K. Le Guin
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.98
120 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars The sunlights differ but there is only one darkness, February 4, 2011
I love Ursula K. Le Guin. I count her as one of three writers I aspire to. She has a fascinating grip on anthropology and sociology and using the forum of science fiction creates complex worlds as far as social class, politics, ecology, culture, and human spirit. She is not a practical or "hard" scientist and it is very evident by this book. She has created a character who realized the Unified Field Theory, the holy grail of physics of today. But since this would require either her or the general audience to understand basic relative physics, she tries her best to talk around the science and more about the spirit of science and discovery. As much as I love her writing, and there are beautiful passages in every chapter, (My favorite is towards the end, the main character is in a garden on-board a spaceship and a flower has just blossomed during the night-time setting of the lights and the character thinks "The sunlights differ but there is only one darkness.") something like the "unified field theory" demands some science in it, Asimov would have had a fit that she skirted talking about physics, but this is Ursula's book not Isaac's. Overall it was satisfying, but satisfaction came at the end. To get there you have to traverse two stories of the main character's life, Shevek, One of him being born on a anarchist/commune culture that manages life on a desolate moon. The other is being from this commune culture and being placed into another culture based on capitalism and authoritarianism. It is interesting to note as I was reading this there were parallels to the happenings in Egypt. The clashes between authority and anarchy, which Le Guin does not give its common bad light, but actually akin it to libertarianism. But no one system of governance (or lack of) is regarded as better than the other they are just difference in culture. If I had any criticism it would be the structure seemed to beholden to linear structure, in that the book is designed to corresponded chapter by chapter to events of Shevek's life on his home world, to the next chapter of his life on the new world. I feel if it were designed where the two parts were mainstreamed I would have had a richer experience, and getting through some parts wouldn't have felt like a slog. At times I feel like there was padding to some of the chapters to expand them more artificially, but I kept going because I was invested in the complex world and the character of Shevek was very compelling, even if at first he seemed stand off-ish. But over all it was very satisfying ending and I do recommend giving it a read if you seem interested in it.

Clinging To A Scheme
Clinging To A Scheme
Offered by skyvo-direct-usa
Price: $10.11
33 used & new from $3.75

4.0 out of 5 stars The Sound of a Radio Dept., December 18, 2010
This review is from: Clinging To A Scheme (Audio CD)
Like the alums before it (Pet Grief and Lesser Matters) The Radio Dept. Sound is solidly set in Dream Pop aesthetic and that is just fine. They make great dream pop, songs that are airy and light that boom with the occasional bass drum beat. but otherwise very calm and soothing. And to match sound with style, The Radio Dept., continues to contrast that sound with lyrics that harbor regret and ennui. But whether your a beat person or a lyric person, The Radio Dept have crafted an album worth buying.

Forget
Forget
Price: $9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite New Artists of 2010, December 18, 2010
This review is from: Forget (MP3 Music)
Between Forget and Treats (Sleigh Bells) 2010 has brought forth some strong new artists that bring not only quality but diversity in sounds of 2010. Twin Shadow progressive New Wave style are up dated with great break beats and a haunting vocal like a whisper in a dream. You'll either be dancing or just relaxing. The album walks a line that few do. In being both up beat and soft tempo, Twin Shadows is great for anyone looking for new music.

xx
xx
Price: $9.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Neo Vampire Lounge music, November 21, 2009
This review is from: xx (MP3 Music)
First off don't let the title mislead you - this album is very good. But because of its sparse and dark sound it conjures images of an under-lit lounge where heroin chic teenagers slowly move about a crush red velvet room feeling the ecstasy of the drug run through their veins and delight in the shared environment. Its sexy, hip, and low key. The problem is I feel like Chairlift did the same exact thing last year and a bit better as they weren't held to this ambient idea and had some variation. However, I personally feel I can not deny how artistically interesting this album is. In a world of larger than life pop stars make bigger and heavily produced music, independents, such as the fore mentioned Chairlift, Feist (and to a lesser extent D.C.F.C. and Hot Chip), are going more simplistic in their sounds; and in that simplistically comes easy and relaxed music that, quite frankly, you could listen to on a lazy day reading or napping. It becomes part of the space it plays in, or perhaps forces one to adjust their environment to it. Either way its a sign of a good album.

Street Vernacular
Street Vernacular
Price: $21.26
27 used & new from $0.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Its all fun and games with Cannonball Jane!, March 22, 2009
This review is from: Street Vernacular (Audio CD)
Something about this album hearkens to those urban musicians in the NYC metropolitan area. Catchy beats, smart production, ill samples; I'm reminiscing of Terminator X, Beastie Boys, but captures those fun/cynical outlooks that are part of many of the popular and hip acts of today like Lily Allen, Kate Nash, and Robyn. However don't discount the layered production the like of The Radio Dept., Animal Collective, and Working for a Nuclear Free City. I look forward to more Cannonball Jane in the future!