Profile for B. Gnoz > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 32

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

B. Gnoz "bgnoz" RSS Feed (Martinez, GA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
E-Force Weapon Racquetball Glove (Black/Red)-RS
E-Force Weapon Racquetball Glove (Black/Red)-RS
Offered by RacquetGalaxy
Price: $16.95
6 used & new from $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars favorite so far, June 16, 2014
These are just about perfect... very thin leather and a mesh back. The leather isn't perforated, which is great in my mind... perforated gloves eventually rip apart in the palm where the butt of the racquet rubs. These seem plenty breathable, and the leather has a great grip. Excellent in every way.

I buy a size smaller than my regular glove size so that they fit skin tight with absolutely no looseness. That works well with these. Even though they are expensive, this is the glove I'll buy when my current pair wears out... it's worth the cost.

Victorinox Swiss Classic 6-Piece Steak Knife Set, 4-1/2-Inch Serrated Blades with Round Tip
Offered by Master Kitchen
Price: $35.00
9 used & new from $32.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, June 14, 2014
I'm a huge fan of Victorinox knives and use them exclusively in the kitchen. I thought these would be comparable to the quality of their kitchen knives, but they aren't. The plastic handles are thin, slippery and cheap-feeling (not the fibrox handles of their kitchen knives, which I love). Their dimensions are small in every way... they almost seem like children's knives. They are extremely light and simply feel cheap. Finally, they look cheap on the table as well.

The only redeeming quality is that they are sharp and cut well. That may be enough for most, but I certainly expected more for the price.

Power Zone Shield Protective Eyewear
Power Zone Shield Protective Eyewear
Offered by SQUASH PRO SHOP
Price: $21.69
11 used & new from $17.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great enough, March 8, 2014
These are great... they fit tight, are optically clear, never fog, and even block sweat. There is one small negative though...

I started playing RB again after a 15-year layoff, but liability issues (and common sense) now require eyewear at every gym. I generally don't like this kind of thing, but I'm willing to to accommodate gym rules in order to play such a crazy great game (should be an olympic sport).

My first eyewear was given to me by a friend, and I knew after a five-game series that this would be my first RB purchase (before a better racquet, etc.). The eyewear he gave me fogged and was blurry... I couldn't really even play and wanted to just take the damn things off (but couldn't). It was like playing with blinders.

So I read up on RB eyewear and decided on these... it's been nine months of heavy-duty play (we play 90-120 minutes for 5-7 games three times a week... there is no dry material on my body at the end of the matches). These have been awesome... crystal clear focus (I normally wear glasses but not for RB), no fog ever (I sweat heavily), no scratches (I wash them before every series and dry them on whatever I have handy). They have adjustable length earpieces and a hearty closed-cell foam band across the entire length of the frame (keeps sweat from running into your eyes).

The only negative is that there are cracks in the lens... several small ones that emanate from the nose piece... but they haven't spread and they don't interfere in play at all... I don't see them (they are under 1/8" in length).

Bottom line, if I had to buy another pair I would buy these without question. They are great.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 18, 2014 5:49 AM PDT

Altec Lansing inAir 5000 Wireless AirPlay Speaker MA5000
Altec Lansing inAir 5000 Wireless AirPlay Speaker MA5000
2 used & new from $409.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for a boom box, November 16, 2012
I like the thing, let me start that way. Easy to configure, easy to use. Nice looking in a purse kind of way. Well made. So why only four stars (I originally gave 3)?

It's about balance. And faithfulness. This box has none.

If you're after a good boom box, this will do well (emphasis on boom). If you're after a quality sound, forget it. Go with B&W (bowers & wilkinson). This box is boomy.

Really boomy... So much so that I'm just not that thrilled. I listen to my usual folk, singer/songwriter, jazz and rock mix, and it sounds cheap.

It is cheap, after all. No reason to expect more. It's a $250 sound, and a decent one at that. Works well, charges the iPhone, plays through USB or AirPlay, easily ported. Just the darn boominess makes it four, not five stars

Smartwool Mens PhD Running Light Micro Sock - Silver/Royal - Large
Smartwool Mens PhD Running Light Micro Sock - Silver/Royal - Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Took some getting used to, but a new favorite, June 22, 2012
At first, these seemed too slippery for me... my foot seemed to slide around in my shoes. I'm not sure if maybe some washings helped stop this or perhaps I got used to it, but these are now my go-to socks. They cushion well, stay springy and dry, and are simply comfortable in all weather. The best I've tried (and I've just finished a try-out of several brands).

Antennas Direct ClearStream4 HDTV Antenna
Antennas Direct ClearStream4 HDTV Antenna
Offered by SolidSignal
Price: $117.95
9 used & new from $97.89

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the one we kept, June 22, 2012
Over the last holiday period, I purchased several OTA (terrestrial) HDTV antennas. We started with the classic DB4, which was good for the price (which seems to have gone up?). But there were stations we weren't getting, so we decided to try moving up to this Clearstream4, and joining it with a C5 for a specific VHF station we wanted to bring in.

We tried all sorts of combinations between Thanksgiving and Christmas... each antenna alone as well as combined with a signal combiner. Post-amplified, pre-amplified, un-amplified. In the end, we found this antenna to be the best of all... it brought in a significantly better UHF signal than the DB4, but also brought in the VHF signal we wanted. That was a surprise - the dedicated VHF antenna (C5) didn't do much better than this one, even though it was pointed specifically at the source. It provided a 5-10% increase, but that wasn't worth the rather hefty cost.

So we went with this one and sent everything else back. Had to pay restocking for some of the vendors, but it was worth giving each of these a real-world trial. My advice would be keep it simple and just go for this one. We did keep the post-amplification for distributing the signal throughout the house (we tried a few but settled on the Motorola BDA-S1). Even though pre-amplification should have been better, it wasn't in our case (over-modulation perhaps).

All in all, this is an excellent antenna and we're now quite happy.

Midiman M-Audio C02 Coaxial/Optical Bi-Directional Converter
Midiman M-Audio C02 Coaxial/Optical Bi-Directional Converter

5.0 out of 5 stars Vital piece in a great Airplay setup!, June 22, 2012
I was lookiing into Apple's Airplay tech and the devices available that use it (Airplay allows you to stream digital audio and video signals over a wireless network to remote devices... the quality is outstanding). While looking over these $400+ setups, it occurred to me that I already had the necessary components. I have some very nice JBL self-powered studio monitors that handle digital signals, but they use SP/DIF, which uses a standard RCA-type connector with coax cable. I also had a retired Airport Extreme (both Airport Extreme and Apple TV allow you to stream Airplay signals), but the output was optical (Toslink).

So I had the equipment, but it used different digital formats. This box is designed to address that need, and it does so flawlessly... it take optical and converts it to wire... or the other way around if you'd like. It has some other interesting potential if you look into to it further, but it provided the exact function I needed, and instead of paying $400+ for a compromised consumer solution, I now have Airplay ability piped into my DAW (recording) studio monitors for the reasonable price of this converter. The sound is simply outstanding, and far beyond the dedicated setups available.

For what it's worth, I have JBL LSR4326 monitors, which I love for their balanced and detailed sound (and unbelievable bass from a 6" woofer). They're $1000 or so new, but can be found for half that or less on eBay. They're self-powered, and have a multitude of input options. Great gear... great sound... and with this box they can work well with your iPhone or iPad (great for parties, by the way - guests with iPhones can play their favorites. We've had great times playing classics and guessing the artists).

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome for quick-disconnect of subwoofer!, June 22, 2012
I used this (along with a winch disconnect) to set up a quick disconnect for the subwoofer in my SUV - I often need to take it out quickly to haul things, and this (along with normal Neutrik Speakon connectors) allowed me to disconnect both channels of subwoofer leads (4 wires) with one connector. And it locks! Quite slick - I just get head chakes in disbelief when I show people.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars works simply and beautifully, June 21, 2012
Quite the specialized product, but it does exactly what you want and without issues. Rare and wonderful! If you're looking at this product you know what you're after... this will do it perfectly (not much else to say, but I need 20 words for the review to suit Amazon)

Men's Runshade T-Shirt
Men's Runshade T-Shirt

5.0 out of 5 stars The best from a group of five I tried, June 21, 2012
This review is from: Men's Runshade T-Shirt
I live in the south now, and summers are almost unbearable. Most folks stay indoors, but that's not an option for me (I'm a Yankee that grew up in the woods and loves mountains). I have to get outside, no matter what. So I recently decided to take it up a notch and start training in the middle of summer... we're talking 100/90 in degrees and humidity. I decided to invest in some breathable clothing.

I started with what was available locally: Nike Dri Fit (I've already tried and ruled out UnderArmor). Dri Fit was anything but: it soaked quickly and never dried until it was off of my body... really not a breathable garment in the sense that I think of things. I'm a back-country skiier, and know full well what breathability means.

So naturally I turned to one of my favorite back-country brands: Patagonia. I rely on their undergarments and socks for my skiing because they breath like no other (and don't smell or feel like plastic), so I expected to be pleased. I wasn't disappointed... I tried the basic silkweight T as well as this dedicated Runshade active shirt (I bought the "white," which is really like a light silver). The silkweight T was fine and as expected, but this shirt was a nice surprise... a bit heavier, with a bit of a shine and a bit of an open weave in a subtle diamond pattern. And the seams and shaping are trim and elegant - very cool in more ways than one!

At first I thought it might be a bit heavy for summer, but after running and playing tennis in 105/90 heat in mid-day, I grew to love this shirt - the extra weight makes it feel absorbent, although it's breathing (and expiring sweat) all the time. It feels breezy and light, but absorbant. The silkweight T, by comparison, felt light (of course), but actually a bit more sweaty because the sweat was closer to my skin. It felt like underwear, while the Runshade felt like a real shirt.

I also tried equal shirts from Mountain Hardware and Arc'teryx... both were somewhere between the Nike and Patagonia, but actually closer to the Nike in feel. They had nice trim and thoughtful seam placement, but the fabric itself was nothing special.

I will be buying more of the Runshade shirts, and no other... and I'm going to get some long-sleeved versions. They're a great all-around shirt for all seasons and all activities.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4