Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS
Profile for Bob Chan > Reviews

Browse

Bob Chan's Profile

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bob Chan RSS Feed (SoCal)

Page: 1 | 2
No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Choice for the Money, May 27, 2014
I have never used the LG model that this style is based on. I came from a Samsung HS3000, which worked well until the short lead headphones broke. Carrying around a full-length set of ear buds negated much of the advantage of having a bluetooth headset in the first place! I also have not used these to take any phone calls, if that's even possible, I just listen to music. My phone does not support apt-X.

Pros: I like this form factor a lot. Sound quality is fine, as is the comfort of the ear buds. Seem reasonably durable as long as you aren't abusing them, and the battery life is good.

Cons: The UI sounds are full volume all the time, too loud. Vibration is a little weird, not sure how useful it is and it's odd having something buzzing away on your collar bone. Volume is hard to adjust because it's a long-press action on the buttons. I would reverse it: have volume adjust be single press, track change be long press. Headphone magnets are a little weak for my liking, they slip out with some gentle agitation.

Overall, I'm pleased with this purchase for the price. I really wanted this form factor but was unwilling to pay for the premium brands - this is a nice compromise.

iPazzPort Wireless Mini Keyboard with Backlit and Multi-Touchpad for Google Nexus 7 / Google Android TV / iPhone 4 4S 3GS 3G / Samsung Galaxy S S2 S3 / HTPC / PC / Iphone / Android 3.0 Tablet / Mac OS KP-810-10A

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke after 6 weeks, May 27, 2014
Stopped working completely after return period expired. Support e-mail address provided in packaging was invalid, and no response from the contact form on the manufacturer website. Some people seem to be lucky with this, but it is not high quality electronics.

While it was working I would say it was just OK. Range was not at all what was advertised, and was also intermittent: one day I could type from the couch, the next I had to walk across the room to get it to respond at all.

If you're interested in this or similar device, get one from a reputable company with working e-mail addresses or from a seller with a much more generous return policy.

5x Samsung Galaxy Nexus Prime SCH-i515 Premium Invisible Clear LCD Screen Protector Kit (5 Piece Kit)
Offered by ExtremeCases (USA Seller)
Price: $3.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Item not as pictured, looks terrible installed, August 8, 2013
First off: picture shows the style of screen protector the covers the entire glass with just holes cut for speaker and front facing camera. The item the are selling does NOT cover the entire glass, and has the entire upper right corner notched out from the speaker up.

Two of the 5 protectors came with no "1" tab to pull off the front sheet, so useless. Installed two others and they look terrible on the phone. My screen was completely clean before application, but these screen protectors show a rainbow-like pattern all over, roughly in the general pattern of application.

I would process a return, but frankly it's not worth the time for such a cheap item.

Soundfreaq SFQ-04 Sound Kick Bluetooth speaker
Soundfreaq SFQ-04 Sound Kick Bluetooth speaker
Offered by SaveCentral
Price: $90.49
52 used & new from $29.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good device, some flaws, February 19, 2013
This is a good sounding device, pairs easily, offers a nice feature of charging over USB, and has decent battery life. I use it all weekend when doing chores around the house and have found it completely fine. However, it does lack in some areas that can effect usability and that could be better. The biggest issues is user feedback (not the sound kind, the visual kind) - there just isn't any. There's a big LED strip on the front to let you know it's powered on. It blinks when pairing, and blinks to register button presses but that's the end of it. As far as I can tell, there is no low-battery indicator, and no volume indicator. There is a small LED on the back near the charging port, but you can't readily see that in its user-facing position. The reason this is important is that in order for one of its nicer features to work - USB charging - the volume must be under a certain threshold and the battery life must be above a certain threshold. With no indicator of either, you're left to fiddle with volume settings until your device registers a charge ... and if it doesn't? Well then you must have a low battery! Better plug it in using yet another proprietary charger. The kickstand is a neat idea, but doesn't work well on soft or uneven surfaces.

All-in-all I'm happy I received this as a gift and use it quite a bit, I just wish it were a little better and will likely shop competitors next time I'm in the market for a similar device.

The Original Patented Kitchen IPad Rack / Stand / Holder For All Tablet PC's, Smartphones and Cookbooks Too
Offered by Kitchen Acrylics, LLC
Price: $29.99
5 used & new from $29.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Does as intended, marketing is shady, February 19, 2013
If you want to know why this product has so many 5-star review, I can give you two reasons: 1) It works well; 2) They bribe users with free accessories in their packaging materials.

The product itself is fairly easy to install with some basic tools and looks good and works well in the kitchen. Sometimes the tray gets in the way and doesn't store conveniently, but without making the device much more complicated, there's really nothing to be done.

I knocked off two stars because I don't think much of their bribing buyers for 5-star reviews by offering free prizes and accessories. (A slip comes in the packaging that offers a drawing that you "enter" by leaving a 5-star review.) That seems like a clear violation of terms-of-service, or at the very least, the spirit of a free and open marketplace.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2013 10:08 AM PST

Mpow Bluetooth A2DP Music Audio Receiver Adapter for Bose Sounddock and 30-Pin iPod iPhone Dock Speaker

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but not with Samsung HTIB iPod accessory, February 19, 2013
I ordered this item to use on my Samsung Blu-ray home theater in-a-box that came with a iPod docking accessory, hoping to use my Android phone to play music. However it did not work - Samsung interfaces with iPods on a different level and uses on screen menus to navigate the music library and, unsurprisingly, this feature is not supported through this device. Luckily, I have a friend with an iPod and a dock and was able to send to him to use with his Android phone. He reports that it works great.

Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles
Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles
Offered by DC tools
Price: $14.93
15 used & new from $9.09

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work for some VWs, April 16, 2011
Bought this because of the high ratings. Don't mind that it's a little cheap feeling and plastic-y. Don't mind the simple display and controls. Don't mind the awful cable that curls like crazy. Do mind the fact it wouldn't work on my 2008 VW Rabbit. I tried at least 10 times to get it to read. 9/10 times I got "LINK ERROR", the one time it worked it claimed to read the codes but they were all listed as "N/A". Not very helpful. And it's not the car because AutoZone's scanner worked completely fine.

I did however pop it on my 2003 Ford Focus and it worked fine. Seemed to work fine on the 2000 VW Passat I have as well, but it didn't have any codes to pull to see if they showed properly. So if you have a domestic, or an older Euro, this might work great for you. But I had an issue with a newer VW, and it's not worth it to have a tool that doesn't work for every car I own.

Sleep Without Dreams
Sleep Without Dreams
Price: $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong full-length debut, May 26, 2008
This review is from: Sleep Without Dreams (MP3 Music)
On their MySpace page, 2*Sweet (bad band name!) calls themselves "Chicago Doom Pop" and I suppose it's as fitting a label as any. I would call it pop punk done right: not so stubbornly simple as to bore anyone over the age of 13, but still catchy, energetic and melodic. The riffs are tight and acrobatic with tinges of much heavier music. The choruses revert to the poppy punk chord chugging, but this is where the vocals shine. Singer Justin Gold is clearly still learning his own range, but he proves here he has the chops to be a legit singer. His melodies are well thought out, and he mostly works in a range that fits nicely with the tempo and emotion of the songs. He has some slight affectations that reek of melodrama, but ultimately it works. An earlier, internet-only release of a Danzig cover hinted at where this influence might come from.

My understanding is that this is an independent release. Besides the silly band name, the only sign of this is in the vocal production. Guitars and drums are recorded and mixed expertly, but the vocals aren't as tight. Some songs are spot on (Speak of the Devil), some are less so (Dateless for Armageddon). The songs and performances more than make up for this oversight, but it makes you wonder how good it could have been with a major label budget.

A few places the songs trip up... and awkward transition here, an odd key change there, but it's more of a running stumble than a full on face plant. These songs are just to good to be ruined by a few minor, immature musical choices. I never would have imagined liking this kind of music, but 2*Sweet makes it 2*Easy. (See what I did there?)

Standout Tracks: King Midas' Desert, Rested Eyes Tell No Lies

Themata
Themata

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, January 9, 2008
This review is from: Themata (MP3 Music)
This band blew me away when I first heard their CD a few months ago. The album is, top to bottom, a killer hard rock record. Probably my favorite hard rock record of the last few years.

The highest compliment I can pay them is to say they are the first band to UNINTENTIONALLY remind me of Tool. They aren't trying to sound like Tool, and yet I can't help but make the comparison because they are just so good.

Also, this album was independently produced and recorded, giving it an extra kick of awesomeness. Consequently its not as "loud" as other modern hard rock, but thats fine by me, because it has subtle musicianship and atmosphere. You wouldn't complain that you're 20 year old single malt scotch doesn't taste like Jager, would you? Of course you wouldn't.

The bottom line is that you need to buy this record. Go ahead. I'll wait.

Prey - Xbox 360
Prey - Xbox 360
111 used & new from $0.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Good start, January 8, 2008
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Prey - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Caveat: This is a single-player only review.

So I picked up this game on the cheap (its been out for over a year) to tide me over until I got Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4. I enjoyed the experience overall, but compared to the cream of the crop FPS out there, it just isn't as good.

The Good:
-Graphics are pretty good. This is id's Doom 3 engine at work. Good lighting, nice textures, and a good particle system. Impressive for a 1st generation 360 game.
-Interesting weapons. Breaks the convention of the typical FPS, including no reloading!
-Pretty length game.
-Plot. The use of Native American characters and mythology is a welcome change from the usual military based shooter.
-Physics puzzles. The gravity defying gameplay, and the portals are definitely innovative.

The Bad:
-Plot. Seriously... a giant sphere on which aliens hunt and devour organic material? Call the sphere a "Halo" and there you go. Or maybe its the Borg.
-The humans characters looks pretty bad... just blobs of polygons skinned with pretty low-res textures. The enemies look better.
-Weapons. Balance is an issue... you're never sure when to use what and on what enemies.
-For some reason, the combat isn't visceral. I don't know if its because they didn't use the controller feedback, or because the enemies aren't that interesting (is that a floating Buddha statue?) but its just not as much of a kick as other games.
-Physics puzzles. While they are innovative, they aren't very well integrated into the story. OK, I have to walk along the ceiling now. I wonder why. I have to flip the room around. Super... any particular reason? They are all interesting, but they don't really come together to form a cohesive game.
-Boss battles. Not a big fan, sorry.

It was a pretty fun experience, but I don't think I'll try it again. I'd rather go replay any of the Halo series, or Half-Life 2. Speaking of HL2, if you are planning on doing a game where physics are going to play a role, you've got serious competition. The physics puzzle in Prey were pretty much exclusively environmental, whereas the gravity gun in HL2 was both environmental AND combative. Prey was also the first to introduce Portals, but "Portal" did it better because it stepped back and allowed the player to get used to the concept without getting constantly shot at by weird aliens with big feet.

Still, if you can get it cheap, pick it up and give it a whirl. It doesn't suck.

Page: 1 | 2