Profile for Richard Coutts > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Richard Coutts "buttonsrtoys" RSS Feed (Halifax, Nova Scotia)

F Minus: This Can't Be Legal
F Minus: This Can't Be Legal
by Tony Carrillo
17 used & new from $3.89

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a fan, July 18, 2010
Full disclosure: I haven't purchased this book, but rather have been faithfully reading this strip in my local paper for the past year. If you're a fan of The Far Side and miss it as much as I do, you'll find the same twisted sense of humor in Tony Carrillo's strip. Maybe Tony is actually Gary Larson incognito? If cows start showing up in his strip on a regular basis, conspiracy theories will abound.

The Twenty-four Hour Mind: The Role of Sleep and Dreaming in Our Emotional Lives
by Rosalind Dymond Cartwright
15 used & new from $21.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful tour of the mind, June 13, 2010
I got interested in the topic of sleep and dreaming maybe ten years ago and have found the authors of texts on the subject a bit of a mixed bag. On the one hand, you have tea leaf readers that propose theories that have no basis in modern science. On the other, you have hard scientists that describe sleep and dreaming in the context of the brain and neurons, but refuse to acknowledge "soft" evidence, like the mind and psychology. Rosalind Cartwright is the rare scientist who is well versed in the gamut of disciplines related to the field of sleep research, which includes psychiatry, neurology, and psychology. Her book starts with a general introduction to the topic of the mind, sleep, and dreaming. Here, as throughout her book, Rosalind writes about weighty material in a way that is both approachable and entertaining. After getting the reader up to speed, she presents some astonishing contemporary research, including evidence of mental activity during sleep and the role this activity plays in both the sciences and in the law -- turns out Rosalind is not only a researcher but an expert witness in cases in which people have murdered while sleepwalking! She explains in detail how when people sleep, certain parts of their minds are truly asleep while other parts are wide awake. These alert portions, which contribute to the title of her book, are able to perform complex operations when people sleepwalk, including driving a car, using tools, and even shooting a gun, all without the knowledge of the conscious part of their minds. After presenting the user with ample evidence that there is no such thing as a sleeping mind and that while we sleep, our minds are actively processing events of the previous day, she then takes us into the mind, describing in detail her own unique theory which she formulated during more than half a century of research. The 24-Hour Mind is a must read for students and professionals who think important mental processes cease during sleep. It's also a page-turner for general readers who are curious about why they think what they think, dream what they dream, or are interested to know why some people sleep soundly, others toss and turn, and still others get up and do dangerous things while completely unconscious. For me, it is a book that I will continually reference during the day, and sleep upon during the night.

Sleep and Dreaming: Scientific Advances and Reconsiderations
Sleep and Dreaming: Scientific Advances and Reconsiderations
by Edward F. Pace-Schott
Price: $99.99
41 used & new from $55.33

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific collection of ideas, September 22, 2009
Theories on why we dream are varied and many. There are credible scientists who say dreams have no functional purpose, but rather are byproducts of unrelated processes that occur during sleep, such as memory consolidation. Meanwhile, there are equally credible scientists who assert that dreams perform important functions that restructure the mind, helping us navigate our waking lives. A problem with most scientific books on dreaming is that they argue for one of these two extremes, resulting in a lop-sided argument. "Sleep and Dreaming" takes a much different approach. It presents five very approachable papers (e.g., you don't need to be a scientist to understand them) that cover the gamut in current scientific dream research. It then solicits opinions from the best minds in the field on the ideas presented. The end result is a comprehensive cross-section of the scientific community's understanding and thoughts on this important topic.

Palm OS Programming Bible
Palm OS Programming Bible
by Lonnon R. Foster
30 used & new from $0.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable, December 3, 2004
I've been a programmer for 10 years but was new to the Palm OS development environment when I bought this book. It shaved weeks off of my development time. While there is a huge amount of free Palm OS development information online, the online information is geared towards those that are already experienced in the field. There is a paucity of comprehensive, introductory information. This book serves that function excellently. Each topic is introduced in a very understandable manner, while also being discussed in great depth. When embarking on a new area of Palm Programming, this is a great place to start.

Regarding the review beating up this book for lacking more examples and reference information, this type of information is amply supplied by PalmSource.com, user groups, and other sources, all for free and all in digital format. PalmSource.com alone released several reference volumes in searchable PDF format that are a great compliment. It would be a waste of paper to put it in this book.

Professional Architectural Photography (Professional Photography Series)
Professional Architectural Photography (Professional Photography Series)
by Michael G. Harris
27 used & new from $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but a bit cursory, November 2, 2004
I'm an architect and a beginner photographer and was looking for a good, comprehensive book on architectural photography so I could photograph my jobs for my portfolio. This book has a lot of good technical information, but deviates from the topic many times (in my opinion). For example, there's a sections on the architectural history, the role of the architect, aesthetics in architecture, etc. I don't need this and I think this is been covered extensively in other books. I don't mind if this information is there, but the topics covered could have been given more depth and examples, rather than spending time on tangential subjects.

Mostly, I bought this book because I need to understand the intricacies of lighting interior spaces to get the most beautiful photograph I can. Just when the chapter on lighting was getting good, the author recommends the reader buy his other book "Professional Interior Photography" for more information -- bummer.

So, for someone interested in reading about the subject and related areas, this seems like a good book. For someone like me looking an in-depth book only on architectural photography, I'd recommend to keep looking.

The Young Lions
The Young Lions
by Irwin Shaw
Price: $19.42
65 used & new from $7.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional writing, July 16, 2001
This review is from: The Young Lions (Paperback)
The narrative of this book is extraordinary. Every sentence is truly crafted to tell the story as succinctly as possible. The protagonists are a small group of soldiers that start the war as complete strangers but go on to become the best of friends and anonymous enemies. The author tells the story in a remarkably nonjudgmental way, thereby giving the reader a great deal of insight into the nature of war in general. My only disappointment is that I have just this moment finished it. I will pick it up again, someday, I'm sure. This is the first Irwin Shaw book I have read, but I knew ten pages into it, that I was a true fan.