Profile for Paul Cartwright > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Paul Cartwright RSS Feed

Plastic Wood
Plastic Wood
Price: $13.49
22 used & new from $6.48

5.0 out of 5 stars I like ya Lloyd !, October 4, 2013
This review is from: Plastic Wood (Audio CD)
Just to show the popsters and hipsters just how it's done. An ambient masterpiece, whilst most of the others are about as deep as wading pool !

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Great demo's.....now for the album !, September 17, 2009
I suppose I am disappointed to a degree, although I wish my demo's sounded this great. Paddy is a masterful singer / songwriter, and these songs ( to a degree thematic ) are wonderful. Some of these have found their way onto other people's albums ( eg Wendy Matthews covered two of these tracks in the early 90's ). But I feel that a band is a sum of it's parts and Prefab Sprout is no exception. I am not sure of Paddy's intentions with this release, but the album definitely misses Martin, Neil and Wendy's contribution to the performances. Since " Andromeda Heights " the imitation drum, bass and general electronic sounds have been extremely prominent ( and the sounds on this album are very of their time ), and I can hear where Thomas could've taken this album. I feel this is only a glimpse of what could have been. After Paddy's masterful " I Trawl the Megahertz "....this feels like only half of the picture. Here's to a full band line up for the next record.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2010 8:54 AM PST

Manafon
Manafon
Price: $12.99
43 used & new from $5.03

4.0 out of 5 stars If you go out to the woods today, you'll get a big surprise !, September 17, 2009
This review is from: Manafon (Audio CD)
I'm sure there will be more opinions in the negative with David Sylvian's new album " Manfon ". This is definitely not for every Sylvian fan . If you want David's melancholic lilting ballads, you've got " Secrets of the Beehive " or " Gone To Earth ". If you want glam, you've got Japan's " Obscure Alternative " and " Adolescent Sex ". If you want perfectly manicure pop, you've got " Tin Drum " and " Gentlemen take Polaroids ". But if you want an artist such as David Sylvian to mature and find new ways to keep themselves true....you've got " Blemish " and now " Manafon ". If I may make a comparison to Miles Davis, a man who searched and strove towards forging new ways of expression, new ways of rebellion, and at times wrestled with his artistic and personal demons. He continually struggled with himself and the public to make new music almost everytime. This artist NEVER stood still, and I'm sure lost and found listeners along the way. And in this day and age where music is manufactured in little plastic cases, all looking and sounding the same, safe as houses....with pop singers too afraid to say how they really feel ( or if they have anything to say at all ). Well I'm happy knowing that David Sylvian is in charge of his own creativity and is not afraid to show what he is feeling and communicating at this given time. At no point did I find this album a " smooth ride down the Nile on a hot summer's day ". Rather I was shocked in the same way it's sister album " Blemish " did a few years back. But with repeated listenings, I found a way to understand and appreciate the work. Music can either be a part of your furniture ( no real listening required ) or it can grab you attention forcing you to listen to it in different way. Manafon does this. So if you are up for charting unfamiliar waters, this album is for you. If not 1978's " Sometime's I feel so Low " beckons you !
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 8, 2011 9:40 PM PDT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Let's Be Honest !, August 31, 2009
C'mon......Let's be honest. Bands like the Trashcan Sinatras should be a household name. Their albums should be available in every store, their songs played on every radio station, their back catalogue discovered and rediscovered by music fans of all ages. But no, we are not living in a perfect world. Corporate commercial hype rules the airwaves. They blind us on TV with their booty shaking, mind numbingly repetitive, boring tunes by talentless pawns to the game known as ( ahem ) the Music Industry. Well......listen up folks who don't want to be sheep ! Here is a beautifully constructed, crafted piece of pure pop magic ( Just like their back catalogue ) that will excite on repeated listenings. Buy it and you might just regain your musical identity ! Thank you the powers that be for the Trashcan Sinatras !

Raintown
Raintown
Offered by SONY Music Entertainment Downloads LLC.
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic !, June 2, 2009
This review is from: Raintown (MP3 Music)
This album and their following album " When the World knows your Name " are just great albums. I saw them in Adelaide, Australia in 1988 and it remains one of the finest concerts I have ever seen. Tracks like " Love's great Fears " and " Chocolate Girl " are just great examples of pop gems. Enjoy !

Hats
Hats
Offered by insomniacsonline
Price: $10.39
74 used & new from $0.66

5.0 out of 5 stars A Jewel In the Crown, February 7, 2009
This review is from: Hats (Audio CD)
For me personally, every Blue Nile release is a life changing moment. I can remember getting every album, and the reactions after hearing every song. This album was the first Blue Nile I purchased, after reading a glowing review in Australian Cosmopolitan magazine ( OK...I was bored waiting for my girlfriend at the time ) and the final sentence described this album " as calm and tranquil as floating down the Nile on a hot summer's day ". Sounded very inviting indeed. By the time the girlfriend was indeed ready to leave the house, the local record store was the first stop planned.

That night, with headphones at the ready......" Over the Hillside " appeared with it's Linn drum intro. I knew I was hooked. Sweeping strings, lush synth pads, pulsing bass, chiming guitars and that voice......no-one has a voice like Paul Buchanan. He describes his voice as " advanced speaking". A great description, as that is what happens when he sings to you. When you hear " From a Late Night Train "....you're there sitting next to him on that late night train going through the city feeling his heartbreak of leaving and unable to go back. What can I say !

I am unashamedly a fan of the 80's, and this and quite a few other albums still stand the test of time. ALL of the tracks in this album evoke the fragility, loneliness, melancholy and hope of love and life. And for all our waiting ( and we still are ) for Blue Nile albums, each release is always well worth the wait. All Blue Nile albums are high watermarks in pop music, and I encourage anyone who believes that music can evoke all things in life to seek this album and the other out.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 26, 2013 9:32 PM PDT

Let the Power Fall
Let the Power Fall
21 used & new from $36.88

5.0 out of 5 stars In a world all of it's own !, January 31, 2009
This review is from: Let the Power Fall (Audio CD)
Drawing from techniques that both Robert and Brian Eno popularized in the early 70's, this album serves as one of Fripp's finest. Direct, honest and so so emotional. AND.....coming from someone whose humanity and emotions run still, silent and deep. This album comes close to my favourite albums of all time ( along with " The Pearl " by Budd / Eno ). While I adore Fripp's later " Soundscape " albums, this collection of ( I won't say songs ) experiments show a musician flying on the edge of musical peril.....and succeeding. Robert's Les Paul and effects looped live through two Revox tape machine recorded on a series of live performances show just how unique and vitally important both he and this music is. I hope this CD will be re-issued at some point in the near future, but if you can get a copy, it is well worth a listen.

Laughing Stock
Laughing Stock
Price: $6.99
70 used & new from $2.47

5.0 out of 5 stars You haven't heard MUSIC until you've heard this album !, January 16, 2009
This review is from: Laughing Stock (Audio CD)
It's a big statement I know, but Talk Talk's last three albums are landmarks in modern music. From their new romantic beginnings ( and they were very good at it ) this album see's a band charting their own course with no room for passengers.

Certain songs on " It's My Life " from 1984 pointed towards a change in direct ( especially with the track " Renee " ), but it wasn't until the 1986 album " The Colour of Spring " that we really saw the band spreading it's wings. Following with " Spirit of Eden " ( close to the greatest album of the 80's ), the band were really in full voice. The final album " Laughing Stock " leaves where Spirit left off, but the great thing about all three albums, is that there is still a faint thread of a pop song in them all. These albums need and deserve repeated listenings, as there is so much depth and colour to the music. There are few bands in the 80's that pushed the envelope as hard as this !

Mark Hollis sounds like a wounded man, Lee Harris's drumming is hypnotic and Paul Webb's melodic textural bass playing was exactly that......a web that spins and spirals around you. Webb had departed after Spirit of Eden, and was admirally replaced by the amazing Danny Thompson. I implore you to discover this album, and go back to the previous two....you won't be disappointed !

On Some Faraway Beach: The Life and Times of Brian Eno
On Some Faraway Beach: The Life and Times of Brian Eno
by David Sheppard
8 used & new from $2.26

3.0 out of 5 stars a coherent and highly readable account - what the ?, January 11, 2009
I have been waiting for an in depth book on Brian Eno for some time. As an admirer of Eno's work for some time, it is so compelling to hear how he has achieved his niche in the world of Popular Music as well as finding his own niche in Ambient Music. The book makes you want to go back and rediscover the albums one by one, and even scour cyberspace for those little gems that may have fallen through the cracks in your own collection.

Great to hear unbiased opinions on Brian and his music from the likes of Gavin Bryars, John Foxx and Russell Mills. You really get a sense of a man who has been extremely busy, and pushing the boundaries for modern music. With out the likes of Eno and his collaborators, music over the years would be a very different and I sense boring affair.

My only criticism of the book is Sheppard's overuse of wordplay. Maybe he's trying to impress Eno himself with his complex use of the English language and I found on many occassions cringing at the long winded sentences describing for example the Punk Movement. I'm sure the author has worn out many Thesauruses in the writing of this book. His style of writing would be more useful to analysing Atonal Classical music than the more direct Ambient Music of Brian Eno.