Profile for Paul J. Schellin > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Paul J. Schellin RSS Feed

Belkin F8Z492ttP Bluetooth Music Receiver
Belkin F8Z492ttP Bluetooth Music Receiver
5 used & new from $25.00

3.0 out of 5 stars With a few modifications, it's not too bad, May 16, 2012
I knew before receiving the item that many had found removing the metal plate would increase distance. I also had my suspicion that there were multiple chips being sourced for this bluetooth receiver, which I'm assuming is why there are many contrasting reviews of the sound quality.

Upon receiving mine I had it apart within minutes, and I must say I was disappointed by the sound quality. After looking the tiny circuit board over, I noticed that the differential amplifier used was basically a no-name product. I sampled a drop in replacement from Texas Instruments (the TPA6112A2). I just finished soldering it on, and I must say other than a little bit of noise, it sounds quite good. Not perfect, but definitely only something I would notice when wearing good IEMs or while in front of a proper stereo. I can say for certain I will not have a problem with it as I use it in my car, the original reason for this purchase.

If you can solder SMD components, I'd say it's worth it. Otherwise it seems you're taking a chance of getting a noisy/digital-sounding amp.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 20, 2012 3:35 PM PDT

Swingline Portable Paper Punch, 3 Holes, 3 Sheets, Assorted Colors (A7074042)
Swingline Portable Paper Punch, 3 Holes, 3 Sheets, Assorted Colors (A7074042)
Offered by Art Lobby
Price: $7.10
13 used & new from $3.80

2.0 out of 5 stars Swingline makes this?, April 13, 2011
I got this several days ago, and I can't say that I've been pleased. When I think of the Swingline brand, I think of quality. Well, first I think of Office Space, and then I think of quality. I feel this isn't the case.

Pros:
[+] It fits in my 3-ring binder.
[+] The plastic that it is made of is actually of pretty good quality and feels like it wouldn't break easily.

Cons:
[-] The hinged metal portion does not line up perfectly (likely a problem with tolerancing) making it very difficult to punch a hole in paper.
[-] The paper guide works for the bottom of the paper but not for the edge of it, because the hinge pushes it more to the right. So it doesn't line up the paper well at all...

I've basically stopped using it after only a short time, as I've decided it's better to just hold on to what I needed hole-punched and use the larger hole punch at home.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2011 5:52 PM PDT

Schwinn Thrasher Adult Micro Bicycle black/grey Helmet (Adult)
Schwinn Thrasher Adult Micro Bicycle black/grey Helmet (Adult)
Price: $21.99
14 used & new from $21.98

5.0 out of 5 stars I hope I never need it, but..., April 13, 2011
I hope I won't be in a situation where I would need this helmet, but it looks like if I were, I'll be glad that I had it.
I use it for riding my bike around campus, where drivers and pedestrians alike are numerous and as unpredictable as the weather in Ohio... so it made sense to wear a helmet while traversing a large campus.

After using it several times, I have a few thoughts:

Pros:
[+] It fits really well on my head. I know that won't tell you much, but it's a pro for me. The dial-a-size mechanism works really well.
[+] It definitely feels like it would protect my head if I needed it to.
[+] The helmet actually looks decent, and I definitely on feel a *little* dorky wearing it.

Cons:
(none so far)

I'm glad I bought this helmet, and I hope that it will help me if I ever need it.

rooCASE Neoprene Super Bubble Sleeve Case for HP Pavilion dm1z 11.6-Inch (Black / Red)
Offered by PC Micro Store
Price: $15.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits Lenovo X120e, April 13, 2011
This case works very well, and has held up well for the week I've been using it. At this time, I have a couple of thoughts:

Pros:
-Fits my laptop perfectly, even with Lenovo's extended 6 cell battery.
-The quality of the case is very good, it does not seem like any part of it is likely going to fall apart during its lifetime of use.
-Legitimately feels like I could drop my laptop from any reasonable height and it would be fine, even the zippered sides. (I'm not going to test this though!)

Cons:
-The standard charger for the X120e fits...but you definitely know it's there. It really sticks out. If you got the thinner charger, it might be nicer, but suffice it to say that there is a reason why there are no product pictures that include a laptop charger in the case.

I'm very happy with the laptop sleeve and I truly think that it will not let me down in the near future, and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone else with an 11" laptop.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2011 11:14 AM PDT

SE 7519SD 33-Piece Security Bit Set with Magnetic Extension Bit Holder
SE 7519SD 33-Piece Security Bit Set with Magnetic Extension Bit Holder
Price: $4.79
36 used & new from $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Where is the quality?, April 13, 2011
In this case, you get what you pay for.

Is this product very inexpensive? Yes. But that still doesn't mean that it shouldn't be lacking this much quality...

Pros:
-It seems to fit everything I've used it for, with one exception (Xbox 360 controller), but that was my fault, not the fault of the product.
-Very inexpensive

Cons:
-Some of the portions that were drilled out (so that the bits are compatible with security-type screws) are off-center, one of the holes was off-center by .52mm, according to my digital caliper. I have not had any use for that particular bit, so I cannot tell if their lack of quality control will affect the tool's ability to do their intended job.

I'm not unhappy with the product (yet), but I'm also not pleased about it either.

Kenneth Cole  524985 Expandable Computer Compatible Messenger Bag,Black,One Size
Kenneth Cole 524985 Expandable Computer Compatible Messenger Bag,Black,One Size
Offered by eBags
Price: $108.99
6 used & new from $108.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Classy-looking bag, April 13, 2011
So I ordered the bag at the beginning of the week, and after 4 days of use I feel like I'm ready to write my review on it.

Pros:
-The bag looks very nice, and I've gotten many comments on it in the few days that I've been using it. (Most of them saying I look more like a graduate student!)
-The pockets are well placed, and it holds everything I need for classes, but not much more. That being said, I only carry around an 11" laptop, not a 17 monster.
-It has held up physically without any problems, and no part of it seems like it is liable to wear and/or break over time.

Cons:
-The portion where the strap meets the bag on the left side (when looking towards the side that has the buckle, you can see it in the main image of the product) seems to not want to stay straight. It's not a huge problem, but it bothers me slightly when the loop that connects the strap to the bag turns vertical and scrunches the strap material together. I cannot find a way to prevent this from happening.
-After putting many things into the bag, it can become uncomfortable. The strap has a cushioned portion at the top (which isn't shown in the pictures), which could be a little bigger. This is primarily the reason I don't carry too much in it.
-The expansion zipper opens the bag up only slightly, and then makes it look awkward. However, I think it's nice to be able to, if I ever need to fit in "one more book".

Overall, I'm very happy with the bag, and I think it will make a great replacement for my backpack.