Profile for M. Balazki > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 50

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. Balazki "mb94952" RSS Feed (Petaluma, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Appetite For Democracy 3D: Live at the Hard Rock Casino- Las Vegas [Blu-ray]
Appetite For Democracy 3D: Live at the Hard Rock Casino- Las Vegas [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Guns N' Roses
Price: $17.29
36 used & new from $13.69

5.0 out of 5 stars You'd be surprised. ..., August 9, 2014
I was not expecting much from the new GNR, to be honest.

I was a fan of Appetite , but not much after that.

After seeing this on AXS TV I TiVo'd it and watched it from the beginning. I have seen it a total of 5 times already. This concert is amazing.

Yes, we all know what good songwriters the original members were, but I must say the "new and improved" version is just that. I think these guys are some amazing rock players. This band is polished, professional, and talented. I'm assuming the management looked far and wide to hand pick the best talent out there.

I am super impressed and love this video. I just wish Axl would've got rid of that RIDICULOUS mustache. ...

The Shawshank Redemption [Blu-ray]
The Shawshank Redemption [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Morgan Freeman
Price: $9.98
87 used & new from $3.38

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most loved American classics ..., July 20, 2014
We all know by now that this is one of the best movies ever made ...
Not much else to say.

Electric Bass Contego PRO PAC Case by Protec
Electric Bass Contego PRO PAC Case by Protec
Price: $128.99
6 used & new from $128.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best gig bag for my bass I've ever owned..., May 22, 2014
I've owned many brands of bass gig bags. Like all of us, I want to travel light and with confidence that my prized basses will be safe and protected.

I love the Road Runner deluxe bass gig bag and I owned a few of them. Over the years, the zippers broke, etc. When I went to buy another one, they were out of stock and I saw the PROTEC CONTEGO PRO PAC BASS GUITAR CASE for around $132 bucks with free shipping.

I ended up buying it for a few reasons - The look, the material, the MANY pockets, the heavy duty handles, and the MUST for me was the back pack straps.

When I got the PROTEC CONTEGO PRO PAC BASS GUITAR CASE, my expectations were exceeded. The material is heavy duty, as are the over sized zippers. Lots of attention to detail went into the design like the rubber coated zippers, etc.

I LOVE this bass gig bag and I am now a lifelong PROTEC customer. This bag rules.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper
14 used & new from $7.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate Power Jazz Trio ! - TOP musicianship, easy to listen to, AWESOME for midnight driving !! Psychedelic Jazz Fusion, February 24, 2013
This review is from: Grasshopper (Audio CD)
I bought this CD after I found out that my bass hero Jimmy Johnson plays on it. I was on youtube and found this band. This CD does not disappoint ! Every track is good. Maybe the 4th track is a little too mellow for me because it's mostly guitar, but the rest is perfect.

This is such visual music. That is what I look for in instrumental music, is a story being told. Jimmy Johnson's tone and bass lines are, as always, world class and bring tears to my eyes. He is just so good. His tone is unlike any other. I know there are hardcore Jimmy Johnson fans who know everything about his gear, etc. His solos are amazing, as always, too. I get the gut feeling he improvised them on this CD, and I don't understand how someone can be so awesome. He never plays a wrong note. Can you tell I love Jimmy Johnson ?

The guitar and drums are as equally amazing. Track 6 is my favorite. It gets very psychedelic and has lots of hills and valleys in it. I found that listening to this CD on a kick ass sound system while driving at night with no one else on the road is a very emotional experience that I recommend to people who are music fans. OK, it's awesome in the daytime, too !

Return to Forever: Returns - Live at Montreux [Blu-ray]
Return to Forever: Returns - Live at Montreux [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Al Di Meola
Price: $16.18
34 used & new from $9.50

5.0 out of 5 stars This is where the big boys play ...., December 10, 2012
The video and sound quality of this blu-ray is top notch. It is crystal clear, but still retains a warmth to it, unlike the DAT video that came out in the early 2000's that looked like soap opera video.

That being said, this is the best of the best. Fans of RTF or these guys as solo artists will eat this up. They play all their best stuff and the musicianship is unbelievable. It's borderline "I should just give up playing" and "These guys make me want to be a better player".

Stanley's Alembic tone is the BEST !!! Al's PRS / Mesa Boogie tone is insane ! Chick's Fender Rhodes tone is , well we all know Fender Rhodes is the best kb tone ever, and Lenny White is one of the best drummers out there. He makes it look effortless with his lack of pensive facial expressions, but we all know it's hard stuff to play ; it's RTF !

A MUST for and musician and/or jazz, jazz fusion fan ! This is as good as it gets.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2012 11:44 PM PST

Personae
Personae
Price: $16.58
29 used & new from $8.88

5.0 out of 5 stars It's been in my car ever since I bought it !!, December 10, 2012
This review is from: Personae (Audio CD)
Being a huge fan of instrumental rock and jazz fusion, the Hellborg / Lane / Sipe CD's are no brainers for me.

I am a bass player, so I can't get enough of Jonas's sweet tone and those crispy highs from his active preamp. But, Lane and Sipe (guitars and drums) absolutely tear it up, too.

There's endless grooves and musicianship. I have three Hellborg / Lane / Sipe CD's in a row in my car CD changer so I am always listening to these guys !

Awesome stuff. Not heady at all. No brain overload on the music theory. Just killer rock fusion.

Spokes
Spokes
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Cool Holdsworth stuff. Both guitar and synthaxe, December 10, 2012
This review is from: Spokes (MP3 Music)
I love the song SPOKES on this CD. It is worth buying it alone for that. Although it's a short song, it has Vinnie on drums and Jimmy Johnson on bass, so that "Holdsworth Sound" is present. Very psychedelic, too !!

I haven't listened to the CD in years because I have other Holdsworth CD's I prefer, but saying that I should revisit it to see how my ever changing perspective on life has affected the way this CD sounds to me now.

I think if you like Wardencliff Tower, then you will like this CD.

Shaken & Stirred
Shaken & Stirred
Offered by Music Spot 1
Price: $14.75
45 used & new from $1.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Kind of Like Miami Vice meets cool bass lines, October 22, 2012
This review is from: Shaken & Stirred (Audio CD)
I bought this CD for the song "Little By Little". I love that song. The bass line is one of the best in rock history. It is right up there with the creativity of Geddy Lee's bass lines.

The rest of the CD is nothing like it. In fact, it's as if you're listening to a Miami Vice episode soundtrack. It dripping in 1985.

I agree that fans either will love or hate this CD. I am undecided. It's one of those CD's that probably has to be listened to at the right place at the right time. To me, driving is always best, but I haven't felt nostalgic enough for the 80's to be so enthusiastic about it.

Paul Martinez, the bass player on this album, is the saving grace. How have I not heard of this guy before ? His bass lines are incredibly memorable and thoughtful. He doesn't take the least path of resistance.

Other than that, the rabbit hasn't jumped out of the black hat yet for me.

Peavey Cirrus 4 - Bubinga 4-string Electric Bass
Peavey Cirrus 4 - Bubinga 4-string Electric Bass

5.0 out of 5 stars Peavey Cirrus is the end all, be all bass !! The BEST !!, September 28, 2012
I will keep this simple. I have been playing bass for over 25 years and I've owned over 100 basses, and played just about everything.

The Peavey Cirrus is the BEST out of all of them. The neck feels like it was made just for me. The 35" scale is so easy to play and makes strings sound ten times better than a 34" scale neck.

The active electronics are dead quiet and studio ready. The controls are volume, blend, bass / mid / treble boost and cut. You can achieve most any sound on this bass.

It is a modern sound, so if you're looking for James Jamerson Motown, throw on a set of flats, use the neck pickup and cut the treble and you're there. For Jaco tone, do the opposite.

I like stuff like RUSH, Black Sabbath, Stanley Clarke, Level 42, etc and this bass is PERFECT for that style. It cuts through the band mix perfectly and you never get lost.

I know this review is for the walnut/bubinga Cirrus, and I own one. I also own an alder/maple and that is my main Cirrus. I love the wood combo. I consider this review for ALL wood combo Cirrus basses, just to be clear.

This bass is the only bass I will ever need or want.

Time Is the Enemy
Time Is the Enemy
Price: $16.58
26 used & new from $11.22

5.0 out of 5 stars I love the bass tone !!, September 19, 2012
This review is from: Time Is the Enemy (Audio CD)
Another great album from this instrumental power trio. I have listened to it over and over again because I just love the bass lines and bass tone on tracks 2 and 3. Jonas has that nice, crispy high end active electronics, yet the low end remains warm and round. He sure that sweet EBS made rig dialed in for him, not to mention that he is just an amazing player, and as we know tone comes from the player.

If you're a bass player like I am, then this CD will end up costing you a lot of money because you will want to chase his bass tone. I had a custom bass built for me with the hopes of getting close to his Status Graphite tone.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5