Profile for LoveMyToys > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 42

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

LoveMyToys RSS Feed (Long Island, NY)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Machine World (Undying Mercenaries Series Book 4)
Machine World (Undying Mercenaries Series Book 4)
Price: $4.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, February 15, 2015
I love this series. Machine World is another strong edition!!

Syma X11 R/C Quadcopter - Red
Syma X11 R/C Quadcopter - Red
Price: $24.64
46 used & new from $19.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Micro Quad, December 12, 2014
I am an RC beginner and this is my first quad (having only flown a Syma S107G 3ch heli before). For a beginner (and even experienced rc pilots), this is a very enjoyable quad and for the $29.00 list price (I paid $27 from Amazon), it's a great value warranting a 5 star review. It is not, however, perfect. So, with that in mind, I am going to list the positives and negatives and let you decide:

Positives:

1. Looks Great!: The X11 is nice micro which is very similar in size and design the uber-popular (and much more expensive) Hubsan X4. Syma has a really great reputation and is known to be one of the top RC makers in the Chinese toy rc segment. The Syma X11 only helps to enhance that reputation.

2. Smooth and Stable: his quad is very STABLE in the air and is designed to emphasize stability over performance/agility. You can bounce it off objects (which I do often) and keep on flying.

3. Durable: Although feels a little light-weight and flimsy, it is actually VERY durable. I have crashed this guy at least 50 times, with only a broken prop to show for it. The quad comes with spare props and additional spares can be purchased for about $2 shipped (for 2 sets). In my first outdoor flight, I was flying on high speed mode and got disoriented and slammed the X11 full Speed into a concrete building (at least 20 feet up) and having the quad crash down onto an asphalt road upside down. I flipped the quad over and off it went without a scratch. I have crashed it at least 50 times in the past couple of weeks with only a single broken prop to show for it.

4. Easy to Repair: Replacement parts are cheap and readily available from gearbest (not Amazon yet). I picked up 4 sets of spare props from gearbest for $5 shipped.

5. Great Endurance: The included 3.7v 200mah battery is good for about 7 minutes of flight time (depending on what you're doing), which is really good for such tiny battery. Fortunately, the X11 can easily handle a 380mah or 500mah battery, which are cheap and can be found on amazon (any battery that will work with a Hubsan X4 will work with the X11). Although the 500mah sticks out a little, it doesn't seem to effect flight characteristics and gives this quad a solid 12-15 minutes of flying time!! That's more than double the endurance of most micros and better than almost any other quad on the market.

6. Fast and Solid Performance: The motors on the X11 are the same units used on the Hubsan X4 and have great power for the weight of the quad (which is why it can handle a the weight of the 500mah battery). The X11 is, however, more powerful and efficient than its competitor because it uses a geared drive system common for larger quads, rather than the direct drive almost every other micro quad. In short, this is a fast little bugger and a solid outdoor performer, particularly with the heavier 500mah battery.

Negatives:

1. Yaw Rate: The biggest complaint I have is the slow yaw rate (how the turns on its axis), which doesn't get any faster in high speed mode. A slow yaw rate results in wider turns. This is a non-issue in outdoor flight, but in may living room it makes a big difference. Micro class quads are going to see a lot of indoor action and if Syma does a V2 version, they need to speed up the raw rate to match the rest of the quads performance.

2. Transmitter: This is a matter of personal choice, but I hate the Xbox 360 style controller and with this included the controller used for the X5C-1--much much better quality (it is compatible and can be ordered online for around $15). Nevertheless, the controller does what it's suppose to and has good range (although I haven't tested to see how far it will go before the signal drops).

3. LED Placement: The X11 has blue LEDs on the bottom of the front arms and red LED on the bottom of the back arms (and two blue LED "eyes" on the top of the housing). For night flying, they are ok so long as the quad is above your head. If you don't have altitude, it's easy to get disoriented. I would not recommend this for night flying.

4. Better High Low/Speed Indicator: Neither the quad nor the transmitter have a special indicator to let you know if you're in high or low speed. The beep is the same for both. I have had a bunch of crashes because I didn't realize it was in high when I was flying indoors.

Conclusion:

I LOVE this little guy. I am still a noob and have yet to master banked turns etc. As a beginner quad for gaining all around experience, this is perfect! Once I feel like I am in full control, I'll move up to something with more size and power. However, I am in no rush because this is a fun quad. If you're just getting started or have experience and want a great, cheap micro, the X11 is a no brainer!

The Walking Dead, Season 5 [HD]

Gortimer Gibbon's Life on Normal Street [HD]
Gortimer Gibbon's Life on Normal Street [HD]
DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, November 25, 2014
Another well written show for children from Amazon. The whole family lives it!

STARZ Play
STARZ Play
Price: $0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Serious Stability Issues, March 2, 2014
This review is from: STARZ Play (App)
This app seriously needs a work over. The video freezes and the app crashes constantly on bith my Kindle Fire HDX's! The video quality is also subpar...SD at best. considering bow vood the HBO Go app is, starz needs to do some work!

Firefly Season 1 [HD]
Firefly Season 1 [HD]
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Series that Fox Killed For No Good Reason, February 28, 2014
Ahhh... Firefly!!! One of the greatest Science Fiction/Westerns ever to grace the small screen. Unfortunately, Fox exercised terrible judgment in killing it off after 13 episodes. If only this could have been produced today, where it would have been featured on cable (FX, SyFy etc.) on something other than a lousy Friday night slot. I know this will never be brought back, but it would have been nice to at least have a quasi-spin off that takes place within the Firefly universe--perhaps with different characters and storyline. Summer Glau has been pretty quiet lately--I am sure they could use her as main character. :) Joss, I know you're busy with your movies, but food for thought???

Flick Golf Extreme
Flick Golf Extreme
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun!, December 5, 2013
This review is from: Flick Golf Extreme (App)
I am not of a gamer, but this a fun one. I ended up staying up 3 hours later than planned playing this stupid game. :-)

Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome (Unrated Edition)
Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome (Unrated Edition)
DVD ~ Luke Pasqualino
Price: $8.57
47 used & new from $4.10

5.0 out of 5 stars This deserves to be a full fledged series!, February 19, 2013
They "pilot" really was well done and has enough going for it to warrant the greenlight for at east a season. God, they gave Caprica a full two 10 episode seasons and that wasn't a tenth if the show that the pilot was. It's a shame that SyFy is no longer interested in science fiction any longer. They killed of the franchises that made them relevant with nothing inspired to take their places. Sure, I could use a little more edge and less Hans Solo and Luke Skywalker, but B&C at least was exciting to watch.

QCELL 2X SAMSUNG GALAXY SIII 2100MAH BATTERY + FREE UNIVERSAL BATTERY CHARGER (COMPATIBLE WITH SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 GT-I9300, SPRINT L710, VERIZON I535, T-MOBILE T999, AT&T SAMSUNG I747, U.S. CELLULAR R530)**WITH NFC CAPABILITIES FOR S BEAM & GOOGLE WALLET**

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal!!! AS good as OEM!, July 25, 2012
The appears to perform as advertised. I have been using both batteries for about a week and they both seem to perform identically to the Samsung OEM battery. I really see no difference at all in performance. I have not tested the NFC functionality of these batteries (or the factory battery for that matter), so I cannot comment on that feature. Nevertheless, this battery is priced similarly to other non-OEM batteries and appears to be the only aftermarket battery available for the GS3 that has NFC capability. That puts it ahead of the pack even without testing. My only gripe with this package is the included wall charger. The battery hangs over the charger a bit. This is not a big deal, but this charger is clearly a generic. It also charges the batteries very SLOWLY. From 20% to full charge can take 12 hours!!!! I have been charging the phone on a Blackberry quick charger 10v, which seems to charge the battery from 20% to full charge in about 4 hours (pretty slow). The GS3 is a slow charger to begin with, but I was expecting a little better performance from a dedicated wall charger. With three batteries now in rotation, this isn't a big deal--but something to keep in mind. In short, this has been a great product so far and a very good deal. :)

Samsung Galaxy S III, Blue 16GB (Sprint)
Samsung Galaxy S III, Blue 16GB (Sprint)
Price: $449.99
11 used & new from $69.91

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone, but Not Perfect!, July 13, 2012
The GS3's sexy specs and glossy good looks (particularly in pebble blue) won me over. On launch day, I swapped my beloved Droid Razr Maxx, for the Samsung Galaxy S3. Prior to the Maxx, I briefly owned the Verizon version of the GNexus (which I can't recommend at all). Before I get into the nitty gritty details, with pro's, con's and comparisons, at the time of this review, this is the phone you have been waiting for--the phone that will make you use that upgrade or cause you to sign a ridiculous contract with Verizon. After spending ten minutes with the phone, it's an obvious step up from the Razr Maxx and Galaxy Nexus--the former top tier Android phones on Big Red's network.

Performance

As much as I loved my Razr Maxx (and its marathon 2-3 solid days of battery life), after spending a few minutes with the GS3, the performance leap is very noticeable. The GS3 is silky smooth, with no lagginess at all. Apps (particulary heavy duty games like GTA III) launch quickly and are game play is flawless. I know many of you aren't going to play anything requiring more than the occasional fling of a few angry birds, but the GS3's ability to handle hardcore mobile games with ease is a sure fire indicator that it will be able to run 99.9% of the apps out there in two years. In other words, this phone has the chops to allow you to make it through your contract without starting a countdown for your next upgrade.

How about some real world examples of the GS3's muscle? The Qualcomm S4 chipset with an industry leading 2gb of Ram can cut through 1080p video files like butter. Surprisingly, it was able to play back a 23.5 mbps AVCHD file using hardware decoding decoding!!! I was even able to take play back the file with the video in screen, while I did a couple of google searches. The average $400 laptop would have a tough time handling that!

The GS3 doesn't disappoint on the audio side either. While HTC touts its Beats Audio Technology, that's nothing more than a brand name equilizer setting with limited value-- unless you're spend $100 or more on a beats headphones (which I personally don't care for). Sammy, on the other hand, dropped in two Wolfson digital to analog converters, which allows the GS3 to pump out lossless high bit rate music with ease. Using a pair of Etyotic HF3 IEM earphones, sound quality was crisp and clean for music playback. Even lossy tracks streaming from Amazon Cloud sounded surprisingly full. Much more so than on some other phones that I own. In terms of music playback, the GS3 is every bit the equal of the iPhone and possibly a little better.

The Screen

The's GS3's 4.8", 720p HD screen is a stunner! The Super AMOLED panel provides rich color saturation and outstanding contrast. The panel used to make the screen is beautifully fabricated. the slight curve in the design makes it a pleasure to touch. Text is crisp and I see no issue with this most recent implementation of pentile technology. The fuzziness from Galaxy S, GNexus and Fascinate is a thing of the past. Watching videos on the GS3 is a treat.

All is, however, not perfect with the GSIII's screen. While the contrast and color saturation are strong points for the phone, if you like natural color tones, the pumped up saturation levels may bother you. Personally, I would dial back the saturation level if I could. The GS2 had a settings menu that allowed users to tweak brightness, contrast, tint and saturation. For reasons I don't understand, that great feature was some how left behind on this next gen phone, which is a real pity.

While saturation is a matter of taste, the real issue with the screen though is brightness. Even cranked to 100%, the screen still seems to be a few nits behind the curve. I would love to be able to dial up to 120%. The maximum brightness is noticeably less bright than the screen on the Maxx (which Motorola sourced from Sammy). So, what gives? I am not sure, but my best guess is that in the interest of improving battery life and to compensate for the size of the screen (and the power that size screen will suck), Sammy choose to put a software restriction that limits the ability of users to pump of the brightness. Hopefully, this can be cured by a future firmware update.

While the brightness could use a boost, this deficiency is further amplified by awful auto-brightness implementation. When auto-brightness is turned on, the phone makes sudden and drastic adjustments in brightness even in a consistently well lit setting. It seems as if the software has only 3 settings for brightness when it is set to auto--low, medium and high (which isn't that high to begin with). The phone will drop from high to low suddenly, leaving the screen unreadably dark. Until Sammy sends out a software update to fix the problem, I have disabled the auto-brightness feature.

Software Implementation

The user interface for this latest version of touchwiz is really very nice. This phone provides IOS levels of comfort and ease of use to a smartphone beginner, but allows the flexibility for the nerds among us to customize the phone to suit our needs and tastes. CNET and Phonedog have done excellent video reviews on the GS3's user interface and software features and highly recommend that you check them out (Amazon won't allow links to outside sites--so you'll have to google them).

I do have a few software gripes, one of which could effect some peoples' buying decision.
One of the purported advantages of the GS3 over its top competitors from the HTC One line of phones is the fact that the GS3's has a micro SD card slot and accepts up to 64gb cards. Android allows must apps to be saved and launched from the micro SD cards. This feature allows low and mid-range phones to be made with limited internal storage because users can add their own cards.

Sammy, however, wants power users to buy the bigger capacity 32gig phones for an extra $50. To force us to buy the step up model, Samsung disable the ability to move apps from internal storage to the micro SD card. I am not sure of the size of the app partition in the phone, but I hope Sammy didn't put too big of a restriction on internal storage or that could be a problem for some people down the road. I understand why Sammy made the decision to disable the feature, but it seems like a low rent Apple type move to me and, in fairness, the HTC One series doesn't accept SD cards at all (nor does the iPhone nor any of the current Windows 7 phones).

Another small grip I have is with Sammy's decision not to incorporate ICS's native ability to generate folders for apps simply by stacking one app icon on top of another . Motorola incorporated this feature on its ICS update to the Razr and its native to ICS, so why force us to have to press the menu screen, select create folder and than drag and drop files? Sammy, that's very Gingerbread of you. A good UI should use the strengths of the underlying Software and improve on the weakness--not just make changes for change sake. This is one of the few areas that the Sammy's "Nature" UI seems to fall short.

Battery Life

Gripes are over for now. :) The batter life on the GS3 seems pretty decent. I have had it off the charge since 8:30 this morning (its 4:47 in the afternoon), and have been using the phone heavily. Screen on time is about 2:53 minutes. I have done some light web surfing--shopped on ebay and amazon for a new case for the sammy. Send about 7 or 8 emails, 10-12 tests, and made about 80 minutes worth of phone calls. Brightness is set to around 90% (auto-brightness is disabled). I even played about 15 to 20 minutes of GTA III, and watch about 20 minutes of an episode of Lost on Netflix. It's now 6:33 in the evening and the battery says it has 62% remaining. I would still be in the mid-80's with the Razr Maxx and the GNexus would have been dead or on the charger a few hours ago.

I would say the battery is good--but it's not close to being in the same league as the Maxx. The fact that it is removable, however, does give it a major step up on phones like the HTC One (X-S), Razr (original), Sony ION, iPhone 4S and Atrix HD. In short, if you are on Verizon and don't need the Maxx's 2 full days worth of battery life, I would take the GS3 over the Razr Maxx (which is exactly what I did).

Camera

The camera on the GS3 gets top marks. It uses an updated version of the same 8MP Sony sensor used in the iPhone 4S. Unlike the iPhone 4S, there are options galore for tweaking your photos. I am really impressed with the sharpness of the phones, even in low light. Depending on the shot, the camera on the GS3 (and photo quality in general) is very comparable to photo quality on the Nokia 808 and iPhone 4S.

Video quality is on par with the photo quality. It shoots very smooth 1080p video. Color is good and the video quality is genuine HD quality for most shots. If you shooting a sporting events or other fast paced action, or are pan quickly, there is a lag in time while the camera gets in focus. In fairness, I see the same issue with the iPhone 4S and I have yet to see a smart phone camera do better. Audio quality on the camera is also quite good.

Call Quality and Reception

I have had no problems with reception at all. Unlike its GNexus stable mate, the qualcomm radio and baseband in the GS3 are top notch. I have excellent signal strength on Verizon's network. Call quality is excellent. The people I called say that I sound like I am on a landline--and they sound just as clear to me. Data on Verizon's 4G LTE Network is also strong. I located in the metro NY area. I am consistently pulling 18-24mbps download and 9-16mbps upload speeds on the 4G Network. I get strong reception for Wifi and great broadcasting for Bluetooth as well.

Comparison with Competitors

I have no regrets about trading up from the GNexus to the Razr Maxx and even less regret about trading from the Maxx to the GS3. Despite its plastic build, I think the phone does have a premium feel. It's not as solid as the Maxx, but no one is going to look at the pebble blue version of the GS3 and thinks--that thing looks cheap. It's comfortable to hold. The HTC One X has a sharper, brighter screen and a camera that is on par with the GSC's. The lack of a user removable battery is a big knock against the HTC One series however. The iPhone is, well, an iPhone. As nice as the iPhone 4S may be (and it's great phone), the lack of LTE capability and low data rates on Verizon's CDMA network make it a no go for me. On ATT, however, it can take advantage of higher HSPA+ speeds, but ATT's network has been having some issues lately. For that reason alone, if I am married to ATT or am on Sprint or Verizon for that matter, I am taking the GS3 over the iPhone 4S.

Conclusion

This is a solid phone and a no brainer if you are on the market for a phone right now and have $200.00 in your pocket!
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 31, 2013 11:32 AM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5