Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer RSS Feed (Dallas, Texas)

On Writing Well, 30th Anniversary Edition: The Classic Guide to Writing Nonfiction
by William Knowlton Zinsser
Price: $9.03
306 used & new from $2.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for the aspiring writer, January 26, 2012
Zinsser presents a concise yet challenging set of recommendations for aspiring writers. I appreciated the examples he provided for many of the changes he suggests to his readers. Two reoccurring themes that come up in these books on writing is discipline and putting oneself into the material we write, both of which I find to be a challenge for myself and will need to work on. I am a disciplined person, but not yet a disciplined writer. Clarity and conciseness are traits he argues for in his book, and I appreciate the way he ties these aspects of writing to our thoughts and other communications.

The 11 Secrets of Getting Published
The 11 Secrets of Getting Published
Price: $4.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, thorough., January 26, 2012
I appreciated Mary DeMuth's book because it invited me into her personal journey as an aspiring writer, as well as advised me on my own journey to write. Many of the tips she gives simple and easy to implement, but are not obvious to the typical writer. As someone who likes both fiction and non-fiction genre's she helped me understand challenges unique to both, and caused me to want to focus my work on non-fiction writing as I get started. She emphasizes discipline and the need for experience throughout the book, and helped me gain an understanding of what working with an agent would be like. I appreciate her listing additional resources.