Profile for Michel > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 46

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michel RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Odyssey
Odyssey
by Jack McDevitt
Price: $7.99
87 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Something Different in The Hutch Cycle, April 6, 2012
This review is from: Odyssey (Mass Market Paperback)
In spite of an impossible plot and ridiculous descriptions you can read about in the other reviews, I liked that story very much. That's the magic JMcD is able to weave when he writes. He's always been able to keep me engrossed with mere sillinesses. It must be love!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2013 6:31 AM PDT

Land of the Living
Land of the Living
by Robert Silverberg
64 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars No Meaning, April 6, 2012
I was unable to make out the purpose of that book. It's barely readable. I think RS himself didn't even know where he was going. Not consistent with a professional writer who has given us so many wonderful stories.

Earth Abides
Earth Abides
by George R. Stewart
Price: $12.21
96 used & new from $4.86

3.0 out of 5 stars A Moving Story, April 6, 2012
This review is from: Earth Abides (Paperback)
I had great expectations when I started this book and got out of it slightly unsatisfied. The book shows pretty well what civilisation is about and how much it is fragile. Also how much civilisation relies on a few individuals only. All the lost knowledge in the library no one can understand remains as a vivid image in my mind.
In spite of some theories underlaying the story being already out of date, that book poses essential issues and the empathy we develop for Ish in his efforts and trials to answer them and maintain some civilisation makes the story moving.

Angry Candy
Angry Candy
by Harlan Ellison
54 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Overrated, April 3, 2011
This review is from: Angry Candy (Paperback)
A collection of unequal short stories. I enjoyed Guardian and Werewolf. As for the other stories, only expectations that the next story would be better kept me reading them. That collection is a disappointment to me because the death concern generally is an inspiring theme. Not so this time.

The Killing Star
The Killing Star
by Charles Pellegrino
26 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Pass on It, April 3, 2011
IMO, this book is the archetype of what a science fiction book should never be, I mean filled up with pseudoscientific theories that will quickly be obsolete. Paradoxically, all that pseudoscientific lore gives way to a mumbo-jumbo completely unbelievable. Nothing holds out. Already, 15 years after the book was written, many hypothesis are laughable. Pretty amazing because the authors are supposed to be serious scientists. Let alone the story is naïve, not to say simplistic.
Comment Comments (17) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 3, 2013 1:31 AM PDT

This is Me, Jack Vance!
This is Me, Jack Vance!
by Jack Vance
27 used & new from $38.12

2.0 out of 5 stars A Mountain of Discrepancies, April 3, 2011
That autobiography is a mystery to me. I just went out of it thinking my beloved JV has always been a dilettante traveling here and there without staying long enough to learn anything, whose main interest was in having parties, and playing the cornet with friends. I must admit I skipped entire paragraphs because I was bored with that empty guy who couldn't be one of my few favorite authors.

That biography is obviously wrong. Of the long hours staying in front of empty pages and filling them up with marvelous stories, nothing. How JV's coped with his life, nothing. Of doubts, misgivings, apprehensions, anxieties, sufferings, all those typical traits of great writers, nothing. I may understand JV doesn't want to talk about writing techniques but he could at least have given his fans some insights in his philosophy of life. We don't even know what's behind that claimed wanderlust.

I went through Michael's review painstakingly explaining many connections between what's in the biography and JV's stories. IMO, you can always find connections between anything and anything else and I don't believe that saves the biography (no offense intended to the author who did a formidable work). The proper of a good writer is imagination with what JV is immensely endowed. I don't think one does need to live in Tahiti to write sea stories.

That biography doesn't serve any useful purpose. The problem is now it's published it'll remain. Jack, you've given me wonderful times and you can't know how dear you're to me. I beg you to write a sequel telling the truth about the human being you really are. It's too sad for me that book might be your last one. If I may, I don't think Norma would have let it out as it is. Here is your next challenge: Roll up your sleeves, pick up your microphone, and cry over the futility of life.

Last, I do thank you for sharing the private and somewhat intimate photos. They are touching, the best part of the autobiography, indeed.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 6, 2012 3:40 AM PDT

Beachhead
Beachhead
by Jack Williamson
44 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Stranded on Mars, January 15, 2010
This review is from: Beachhead (Hardcover)
Though not a masterpiece, rather simple, and at times naive, that story entertained me. It's got enough of driven people, betrayals, romances, and action to make it poignant. Who may be more forlorn than stranded people on Mars? Jilted such a long way from Earth, what could you do? Would you survive? What for?

The Rift
The Rift
by Walter Jon Williams
36 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars In Spite of Its Length..., January 15, 2010
This review is from: The Rift (Mass Market Paperback)
This big book is a written loom. WW patiently weaves a long story from many threads. Little by little you'll discern the scenery but the resulting fabric will reveal itself at the end only.

Curiously enough, in spite of its length, I never got bored to the point of skipping through. I felt for Jason and Nick each time they surfaced, I understood the road-to-hell-is-paved-with-good-intentions guys, and I hated the true villains.

The woven tapestry remains in my mind: A large flowing Mississippi river at its heart helplessly watched by vulnerable human beings out of their depth.

A last note: To make the reading a bit lighter one possibly can skip all the old reports since most of their content is duplicated in the story itself.

To Say Nothing of the Dog
To Say Nothing of the Dog
by Connie Willis
Price: $7.99
162 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gem of a Book, September 6, 2009
Original, humorous, entertaining, imaginative, and erudite. Red herrings and open end. A great deal of intelligence in that seemingly simple story. An exquisite mixture of multiple ingredients, a delicious dish whose flavour will long remain in your mind. A amply merited Hugo Award.
For the record, TSNOTD reminded me of "Bid Time Return" (AKA Somewhere in Time) by R. Matheson.

All The Bells on Earth
All The Bells on Earth
by James P. Blaylock
42 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Devil in Disguise, September 6, 2009
A pleasant and entertaining ill-got-ill-spent story in spite of a main plot line at times diluted with irrelevant subplots. JB has got an easy way of writing that gently takes your hand and leads you through terrible events with a compassionate soul. I liked it and felt quenched when I turned the last page.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5